• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apath

Is anybody else unable to update BG:EE on iOS? I have almost 4GB available -- enough to download the entire game two more times -- and it keeps telling me I don't have enough space to update.

PFD

What will the gaming community gain by the jailbreak? Is there a tweak to back up save games ON the phone?

Blutrol for icade users, and emulators. I'm personally looking forward to reinstalling the in-app browser. I absolutely hate getting kicked out of an app or the Mail client after clicking a URL. Probably my biggest gripe with iOS.

Is anybody else unable to update BG:EE on iOS? I have almost 4GB available -- enough to download the entire game two more times -- and it keeps telling me I don't have enough space to update.

I think you need around 4.4GBs.

Keasar

About Clash of Heroes: Keasar, i found that when moving around the world it's much easier to swap anywhere on the screen in the direction you want your character to go, instead of tapping the destination.

Anyway, I'm almost done with the second campaign and really enjoying the game: Top-notch music and animation, charming designs and dialogue, good difficulty curve without grinding or paywalls... completely exceeded my expectations.

....You can swap? *goes to test*

Edit: Turns out you can. Thank you game for not telling me that a couple of hours ago (or as my save file currently says, 467 hours), would have saved me countless painful moments of moving back and forth constantly.

Dawg

Damnit, only found out about Clash Of Heroes when I spent all my moneys on other games :(

Now I'll have to wait till I get a new card!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Where the eff is Star Command. No more waiting.
Showing games early is a double edged sword. Need to build hype, but people get frustrated if they have to wait too long. I think they probably underestimated how much time they'd need, it's definitely dragged on too long now. I imagine it's getting fairly close though, they're working through bugs at the moment and I'm sure that there's been a few "guys we're honestly really about to release it this time" updates from the devs.

J0dy77

Anyone else messing around with Gridlee? I can't seem to get any roms to load properly, wondering if I'm using the incorrect version of the roms or missing something obvious. Anyone with some success that can point me in the right direction?

Ranger X

Apparently this one uses MAME 0.139u1 so it uses a newer romset with more games (Battle Garegga!) supported than that version of iMame for all that hit the appstore last year which used MAME 0.137b iirc?
Curious if it has iCade support and if it shows a proper MAME UI if you load up a different games from the romlist.
Can't download over cellular network now, app's > 50MB

How does it work? I download Gridlee and then voila, I have the emulator?

vehn

Anyone buy Angry Birds Rio when it was free a week ago? The thing kept spamming with notifications every two days so i had to uninstall it. Same thing with paid Zynga games, keeps spamming you telling you of new shit = uninstall

PFD

Anyone buy Angry Birds Rio when it was free a week ago? The thing kept spamming with notifications every two days so i had to uninstall it. Same thing with paid Zynga games, keeps spamming you telling you of new shit = uninstall

You can turn them off in the Settings app for future reference.

nimble.png

Flunkie

Banned
So.. what's everyone's favorite class on Heroes & Castles?

..Because two new classes are coming, along with coop and a crapload of new stuff in a v2.0 update:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2650772&postcount=1346

FYI guys, update has been submitted (earlier today... a day late, I know >_<).

I saw the recent talk of Runes also... right now they are grossly imbalanced once you last a while in co-op or endless... we've tweaked the numbers a bit so that you have a better chance of getting a legendary when crafting a rune. You will still have a good chance of getting a good rune in co-op endless, but it won't be basically automatic once you hit a threshold of like 20 minutes. Legendary Runes were never intended to be collected like they were spare change

Here is the official change-log (I'm sure we left some stuff out):

Update v.2.0 (haha I know... v2.0 like 2 weeks after release Oh well, we already decided we weren't going to hold back new content just for the sake of holding back)
Added competitive 1v1 Versus multiplayer mode - play Good vs Evil! Earn Rank Points and battle your way up the leaderboards!
Added single player Siege Mode - play as the Evil side and siege the enemy castle!
Added new hero: Elven Ranger, wielding a long ranged bow. Summons a giant Treeman as his special unit!
Added new hero: Mage, capable of casting powerful magic spells. Summons an armored turtle-like native warrior as his special unit!
Added alternate skins for each hero! Cycle through them by tapping on a hero.
Added an automatic data restore for people who have lost all of their progress in the Campaign and crash on level 1
Added new GC leaderboards for v2.0
Fixed several major crashes in all game modes
Fixed an issue which would cause some players to disconnect as a Co-op game began
Rebalanced late game for Endless and Co-op
Fixed several gameplay exploits
Added a huge Troll + Catapult &#8220;penalty&#8221; wave if players try to purely defend without killing any enemies
Knight&#8217;s Taunt no longer affects Trolls, Catapults, and Goblin Siegers
Improved visibility of dead multiplayer ally
Captain and Longbeard buffs no longer stack
Can now only build 3 Repairmen at any one time
Multiplayer games now won&#8217;t start until the other player is in the game
Changed in-game pop-up alerts to notifications, for better game flow
Increased the effectiveness of all special units
Increased health and disruptive ability of Giants
Added dynamic reticle for Engineer; turns red when an enemy is in range
Added several new options: Inverse X, Inverse Y, manual downloading/uploading to iCloud, and an option to reset local data
Lots of other small tweaks and fixes

PFD

^ lol @ twitter

I'm stuck on level 19 in Heroes & Castles, the Chieftains are ridiculous. They hit like trucks, and there's far too many of them!

I think I'll wait for the next update which has already been submitted to Apple

Update v.2.0 (haha I know... v2.0 like 2 weeks after release Oh well, we already decided we weren't going to hold back new content just for the sake of holding back)
  • Added competitive 1v1 Versus multiplayer mode - play Good vs Evil! Earn Rank Points and battle your way up the leaderboards!
  • Added single player Siege Mode - play as the Evil side and siege the enemy castle!
  • Added new hero: Elven Ranger, wielding a long ranged bow. Summons a giant Treeman as his special unit!
  • Added new hero: Mage, capable of casting powerful magic spells. Summons an armored turtle-like native warrior as his special unit!
  • Added alternate skins for each hero! Cycle through them by tapping on a hero.
  • Added an automatic data restore for people who have lost all of their progress in the Campaign and crash on level 1
  • Added new GC leaderboards for v2.0
  • Fixed several major crashes in all game modes
  • Fixed an issue which would cause some players to disconnect as a Co-op game began
  • Rebalanced late game for Endless and Co-op
  • Fixed several gameplay exploits
  • Added a huge Troll + Catapult “penalty” wave if players try to purely defend without killing any enemies
  • Knight’s Taunt no longer affects Trolls, Catapults, and Goblin Siegers
  • Improved visibility of dead multiplayer ally
  • Captain and Longbeard buffs no longer stack
  • Can now only build 3 Repairmen at any one time
  • Multiplayer games now won’t start until the other player is in the game
  • Changed in-game pop-up alerts to notifications, for better game flow
  • Increased the effectiveness of all special units
  • Increased health and disruptive ability of Giants
  • Added dynamic reticle for Engineer; turns red when an enemy is in range
  • Added several new options: Inverse X, Inverse Y, manual downloading/uploading to iCloud, and an option to reset local data
  • Lots of other small tweaks and fixes

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I think you need around 4.4GBs.

This is one thing I hate about the way ios devices handle updates.

This isn't unusual update behaviour that only iOS does guys, Steam for example does the exact same thing. Basically when updating the system makes a backup of the installed game and patches that copy. Then if all goes well with the update it overwrites the new version with the old -- hence the need for x2 amount of free space available to update games (and a little more for OS cache).

Every app does this, it's just more noticable with larger ones.

Delta updates doesn't solve this problem either, a backup of the installed app is created and patched regardless -- there's just less to download before patching starts with deltas.

Cheech

^ lol @ twitter

I'm stuck on level 19 in Heroes & Castles, the Chieftains are ridiculous. They hit like trucks, and there's far too many of them!

I think I'll wait for the next update which has already been submitted to Apple

I don't see anything about them fixing the level 19 difficulty, unless I'm blind.

That said, I was able to do it with my dwarf and my knight. The paladin, though, Christ. It is sadistically hard. I am grinding his shield up on the earlier levels to max it out, I think that would give me enough breathing room.

SteveWD40

My "it's all gone quiet over there" list:

Frozen Synapse (re-doing the UI after a beta last I heard).
Ultima Forever (hopes are low, it will probably be paywall crap, but still)
Dungeons of Dredmor
Super Meat Boy (on hold forever I guess)
Legends of Grimrock
Card Hunters (will be PC first anyway I guess)
MGS: Social Ops (hey, it looked ok to me...)
The new Monster Hunter they talked about that is actually close to the series, not the one that's already out

SteveWD40

As I said in the iPad OT, I think the 4 was them bringing the iPad into Q3, so now they refresh their tablets (and most devices in fact) just before Xmas. Macs might be spread over the year as they are hardly "gift" purchases.

This isn't unusual update behaviour that only iOS does guys, Steam for example does the exact same thing. Basically when updating the system makes a backup of the installed game and patches that copy. Then if all goes well with the update it overwrites the new version with the old -- hence the need for x2 amount of free space available to update games (and a little more for OS cache).

Every app does this, it's just more noticable with larger ones.

Delta updates doesn't solve this problem either, a backup of the installed app is created and patched regardless -- there's just less to download before patching starts with deltas.

Yeah, this explanation sounds right. You need 2-3x the space of the actual app when you do an update. I ran into this problem over the weekend with Vice City - the game is like 1.5GB and I had only 2 GB free. But I just updated it using iTunes instead, piece of cake. It also gave me a chance to review all my apps and clean up/delete some games that I just haven't been playing recently.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Ok, back for good and I'm ready to handle the iOS membership LIST and iOS Challenges again...
come back to papa guys :)
Already spoke to Tunesmith and Fuu about the changes to do in the OP.

Anyway, let's do this:
I've been contacted by some devs already this past week but I'm not sure their games are suited for a fair challenge so maybe we could use them for the prizes/promotion, I need to see how that pans out.

GAF's iOS Challenge: discussion/prepping stages

We're at the suggestions stage, so let's choose our game.
To kickstart the challenges again I wanted to warm things up with a massively popular game, so I was thinking of having a laugh with 'ole Tiny Wings which we never used in the end. I know some vocal gaffers won't agree but we can pick a different, less popular and newer game for the next challenge after this one has helped make things pick up steam again. I have almost 200 gaffers with the game already, so the challenge would be epic.
You can still propose a different game of course, either for this one or the next challenge.

If you want to propose a game remember to follow these guidelines:

• popular game which doesn't cost more than $1.99
• score based with no IAPs to boost score/skills/etc
• reasonable time needed to chase an uber highscore (let's say 15 minutes)
• no separate HD and iPhone apps

Here we go.
Remember to add me (Dash Kappei GAF) on Game Center to be a part of the challenges but do so only if you agree with the rules posted in the 2nd (or 3rd?) post of this thread. Everything will be laid out in next month's OP anyway.

It's pretty much guaranteed to be nearly all old games, because everything endless these days is riddled with IAPs so there's no chance of a level playing field.

I'ma still nominate Hypership out of Control for the future, and Super Hexagon is a recent game that does things right.

Anyone know when that new Kairosoft game is coming over to NA? I saw someone mention a new on in the JPN store.

There's no real pattern to them and they never announce stuff. Sometimes games come out at the same time as Android, sometimes they come out at the same time as Japan, sometimes they're months later than either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom