• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
watering.png

Castaway Paradise development is going great. Mohawk included!

We stripped out all the lighting from the game. All the planes are colored with one 16x16 texture. Each pixel is a different color. So we have one drawcall for most of the objects in the scene. Works amazingly well.

Still very much in progress. Nothing is final in this screen :)

KingKong

True Skate seems pretty cool. It's a little finicky though, and there doesn't seem to be a lot to it (just one park and some challenges)

Marco1

I really wish someone would bring an Amiga collection to ios.
Stunt car racer, shadow of the beast, bitmap bros games, cinemaware games etc.
I know defender of the crown is just the disc images running off an Amiga emulator, I'm just amazed they didn't do more with it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
http://mobile.indiegamemag.com/play-as-a-homeless-person-in-ibeg/

'iBEG'

This Spring players will be able to step into the shoes of a homeless person having to beg for money in order to survive in iBeg, a homeless simulator for iOS and Android.
The premise of the game was first developed in January 2012 when Chris Worboys got the inspiration to create a game on the issue of homelessness as he witnessed it first hand in Vancouver’s rising homeless population, where the game takes place.
Players will have to keep themselves happy, healthy, and clean in the harsh streets with a real-time day/night cycle, complete with random events. You’ll even have to deal with weather changes such as rain and snow. You’ll earn money by panhandling, busing, collecting cans, and doing other odd jobs to boost your street abilities. Eventually you’ll be able to see your shelter grow as you work towards getting your avatar off the street.
If you’d like the opportunity to play iBeg head on over to the official Kickstarter page where you can back the game for the low price of $5.

Sold.

I'm looking for iOS games that do the Civilization thing (not including Civ Rev) and also for games that do the X-Com thing (not including Aliens vs. Humans).

Any suggestions?

Floex

From playing it yesterday Carmageddon is, was and always will be shit

Castaway Paradise looks and sounds fantastic though! Reading the decription of the game;

Castaway Paradise simulates life on a beautiful island populated by quirky villagers. It can be described as a combination of several popular games, inspired by Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon and the Sims, also containing elements of Zelda style side quests, and a constantly evolving feature set as we add more things to do in our little game world.

*Dies*

Any idea when it's looking to be finished?

LaneDS

Finally scored a new iPod Touch 5G. What are the best games (and apps) to take advantage of the real estate?

Rayman Jungle Run just got an update to support the extra screen real estate, and it looks great. Also along the same lines would be Ski Safari and Tiny Wings.

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery for something completely different.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I gave my buddy (who doesn't have a smartphone or tablet) NOVA3 to have a look at last night and he was really really impressed. Bastard.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
From playing it yesterday Carmageddon is, was and always will be shit

Castaway Paradise looks and sounds fantastic though! Reading the decription of the game;

*Dies*

Any idea when it's looking to be finished?
Glad you like it :)

LaneDS

Any good place to see what games support AirPlay? I've had an Apple TV for a while that I just use to play music while I cook or whatever, but I never considered playing any of these games on the TV... thought it'd be cool to try.

What kind of background on the Walking Dead universe should you have before playing the games?

None at all required.

numble

Any good place to see what games support AirPlay? I've had an Apple TV for a while that I just use to play music while I cook or whatever, but I never considered playing any of these games on the TV... thought it'd be cool to try.

None at all required.

Know that it's full of zombies and people under duress. That's about it.
Are there any references to storylines elsewhere, or is it completely independent? There's so much good said about it, but I know nothing about the universe.

LaneDS

Are there any references to storylines elsewhere, or is it completely independent? There's so much good said about it, but I know nothing about the universe.

From what I've seen there is some but nothing that'll keep you from enjoying what you're presented with.

PittaGAF

FYI Puzzle Saga just went free.
It's nicely done, more action than turn based but it will just remind you how much we miss Clash of Heroes in the AppStore.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I dont understand carmageddon. I wasted 3 cars and then finished all the checkpoints but had no option to unlock. What am I missing?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man am I happy I spent time in Carmaggedon unlocking a few cars! My save has been reset/deleted! Quality game right there.

E: Expletive deleted. Angry, but not THAT angry. I just want my cars back. D:

antitrop

The only good thing about Carmageddon is the absurd facial expressions of the character in the upper left corner.

It was decent when it came out, don't even bother now. Just another DOS game that doesn't hold up, only the best of the best do.

Neverfade

There's probably references but I wouldn't know, I've only seen the first season of WD, never read the comics. It doesn't matter, it stands alone in being a solid experience. Its pretty fantastic.

LaneDS

There's probably references but I wouldn't know, I've only seen the first season of WD, never read the comics. It doesn't matter, it stands alone in being a solid experience. Its pretty fantastic.

I know there is at least one character (
Glenn
) in the games that is also in the comics and the show, but you certainly don't need any prior knowledge to enjoy the games.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
FINALLY. Like a year after release, Galaxy Phantasy (former Galaxy Pirate Adventure) is on sale from 4.99 to .99. I remember when it came out there was a debate between Galaxy on Fire 2 and this one, with Galaxy on Fire eventually winning. But the consensus was still that it's a good, less actiony alternative for a space game, right? Maybe someone who's played it can give feedback. I'll buy it once I have wifi and give feedback later if mecessary :p I encourage everyone to check it out though, 35h of gaming for a buck ain't too bad.

kinggroin

Banned

Its really self-contained numble. There are cameo winks here and there, but nothing said or done that alludes to anything outside of what happens in this game.

Still, I highly recommend reading the comics anyway.

FINALLY. Like a year after release, Galaxy Phantasy (former Galaxy Pirate Adventure) is on sale from 4.99 to .99. I remember when it came out there was a debate between Galaxy on Fire 2 and this one, with Galaxy on Fire eventually winning. But the consensus was still that it's a good, less actiony alternative for a space game, right? Maybe someone who's played it can give feedback. I'll buy it once I have wifi and give feedback later if mecessary :p I encourage everyone to check it out though, 35h of gaming for a buck ain't too bad.

It reminds me more of an more open infinite space.

I'm also pretty damn sure they pretty much ripped models from EVE.

It's ok though.

Booter

oh my *GOD* bad piggies is so wonderful! I was never an angry birds fan, but the ability to be creative in this game (or at least it *feels* like I'm being creative - maybe there's only one way to do each puzzle right) is fun as hell.

in contention for my iOS goty along with super hexagon

Can anyone access Gamecenter right now? I can't access anything and I'm freaking out because I think I earned the last achievement in Beat Sneak Bandit-and it's not loading!! :O

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I enjoy carmageddon but i dont understand how the hell I can get more vehicles. I just wasted every car on the track and got nothing. Sheesh.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I enjoy carmageddon but i dont understand how the hell I can get more vehicles. I just wasted every car on the track and got nothing. Sheesh.

As you increase in rank, over time, you'll have the opportunity to get new cars. Before the race starts, there will be the line-up that you set. If the car says "Wreck to steal!" Or something during this, you're good to go. Wreck it during that race to steal it.

Also, when you select your car pre-race, if you see a car with a lock icon next to it, that means you're skill is high enough to recruit it next time you see it in a race (but the line-up will always notify you of a possible steal).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hmmm, why has this OT survived the slaughter?

Between the constant flow of new releases, the massive library of titles, and all the various sales and freebies going on at all times, there simply needs to be a catch all thread for iOS gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom