• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Iowa Caucuses |Feb 1|: Winter is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Play this now
T6EtJ2l.png

The Iowa Caucuses are confusing. Both sides have their own rules and regulations as to how it is run. For the GOP it's essentially a secret paper ballot while for the Dems it's a public math war. No one really knows how it works, which is why desmoinsdem over at Bleeding Heartland has provided a series of articles explaining it:

http://www.bleedingheartland.com/2016/01/27/how-the-iowa-caucuses-work-part-1-the-basics/

http://www.bleedingheartland.com/2016/01/29/how-the-iowa-caucuses-work-part-2-barriers-to-participation/

http://www.bleedingheartland.com/2016/01/30/how-the-iowa-caucuses-work-part-3-democratic-caucus-math/

If this doesn't help don't worry. The DesMoines Register also has an entire page to not only explaining the caucus system, including a nifty video, but links that will allow you to follow along with the results in real time--even if you don't have a TV.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/elections/presidential/caucus/2016/01/29/how-follow-live-coverage-iowa-caucus-night/79504380/

While the state normally doesn't matter, this year it can and will make or break the nomination fights of a few candidates, Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump specifically.

RESULTS

Clinton 26
Sanders 21

Cruz 8
Trump 7
Rubio 7
Carson 3
Paul 1
Bush 1

http://www.cnn.com/election/primaries/states/ia/Rep

RESULTS

meet-the-candidates.jpg

eNY0DQo.gif

h33Te6d.gif

Vs4qufa.gif

xNdN138.gif

20160131184450364.png

eNY0DQo.gif

HTFIkax.gif

VWc9d6q.gif

Ep3FOmi.gif

p1Kr9GQ.gif

unwuWAq.gif

lLWq1uJ.gif

8dfIDZP.gif

bnK7FrQ.gif

MBw1wXx.gif

lADpjHn.gif

lsVghkL.gif

20160131184956427.png

eNY0DQo.gif

Here are some prior results from 2008 so you can get an idea of how these things often shake out:

google-iowa-democrat-map.gif

Hillary was second in polling in 2008 but due to some tricky maneuvering by the Obama campaign you can see she was knocked down to third. Expect her to follow Obama's playbook to the letter.

google-iowa-republican-caucus-map.gif

Despite McCain's loss, to both Huckabee and Romney, he would go on to win the nomination and the privilege of losing to Obama in November.

Just remember, what matters is turnout across the state. A candidate can have the most voters and still not win in Iowa, that's just how it is. So when it comes to results, expect the unexpected.

Bowdz

My Christmas in February.

No matter the result, I am so freaking excited that the 2016 political season is finally upon us.

Also, amazing OT Dubs. Truly glorious, believe me.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Bahaha great OP. I think Jorah may be my favorite. Robert is also great

Edit: man Santorum can just suck a railroad spike

dramatis

We're finally here.

It's been a long road. I thought after the Republican primaries of 2012 it couldn't get worse, but they did.

Good job on the thread, B-Dubs.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hillary was second in polling in 2008 but due to some tricky maneuvering by the Obama campaign you can see she was knocked down to third. Expect her to follow Obama's playbook to the letter.
Could you or someone go into a little detail about this, or if there's some kind of link that summarized their strategy for Iowa?

Reading the OP with the knowledge of what Jaime Lannister and Cersei Lannister do with one another has burned a unwanted image in my brain.

Small bit of what Hillary Clinton has done as a Senator and Secretary of State

Clinton introduced eight pieces of legislation with the clear purpose of expanding and protecting women’s access to reproductive health care.

Clinton introduced the Paycheck Fairness Act in 2005, 2007, and 2009 to address the gender pay gap.

Clinton waged a multiyear effort​ — and even blocked the nomination of an FDA head with Sen. Patty Murray — to pass a breakthrough in birth control access: the law that made emergency contraception available over the counter.

Clinton helped launch the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, which supports access to birth control, family planning, and sex education.

Clinton helped beat back a proposal to define birth control (including IUDs) as abortion, saving federal funds for certain medical providers.

As senator, Clinton introduced the legislation to restore funding to the UN Population Fund. President Bush suspended funding for it, but as secretary of state Clinton helped lead the U.S. in overturning the Bush administration's policy.

In an unprecedented move as secretary of state, Clinton launched the federal Office of Global Women's Issues, which aims to integrate women as central partners in decisions about foreign policy.

Clinton started myriad global programs that help women and girls survive extreme hardship in rural areas, as well as enter fields such as business and public service.

https://www.plannedparenthoodaction...ton-and-bernie-sanders-compare-womens-health/

fantomena

If my GoT theory is right, Hillary will lose in the end (might get killed by whoever is Tyrion), Bernie will win after loosing, O'Malley will kill Trump after Trump threatens to burn the White House, Carson will be beaten by Bernie and Santorum will be killed by Carson.

Armaros

If my GoT theory is right, Hillary will lose in the end, Bernie will win after loosing Martin will kill Trump after Trump threatens to burn the White House, Carson will be beaten by Bernie and Santorum will be killed by Trump.

So the Presidency will get invalidated and we get President Paul Ryan and the world lives happily ever after. :^)

fantomena

So the Presidency will get invalidated and we get President Paul Ryan and the world lives happily ever after. :^)

No, Bernie will get stabbed by the DNC, but the polls will resurrect him. He will kill Carson in the battlefield, he must fix a pact between the estabilishment and the anti-estabilishment by marrying the most estabilshment person in USA.

zethren

Banned
I'm just here to see how many GOP candidates drop out after this week.

The bottom half for sure, though I think Rand Paul and Bush could stick it out a little longer. If they all don't start dropping after Monday, it's only a matter of time.

Ryan's Supreme Court justices will overturn child labor laws, but he'd still be much better than anyone from the GOP that's running (now that Pataki is out), lol.

dramatis

Unless the weather report changed that's going to be Tuesday night. If it is on Monday now I'll need to add it to the OP.
National Weather Service says winter storm late Monday night to Tuesday morning as of this morning.

Probably subject to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom