• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epoch looks great! Also, Evertales will launch at $0.99! Great deal!

EDIT: Read the Epoch impressions. Looks like it doesn't have exploration like Shadowgun and it's not really a TPS, but it's sort of a Infinity Blade type of game with cover shooting.

Graphics and animation look amazing.

Ranger X said:
Wishlisted!
(shall buy soon)

I've been on a bit of a buying splurge...

Alien Menace
Junk Jack
BANG!
Temple of the Spider God
Ravenmark

...not counting PoseBook, which was a cool ten bucks, but invaluable for scribbling.

Ranger X

It's so easy to buy too many games...

Just grabbed:

- Block Rogue (Lolo like)
- Across Age EX (Zelda like)
- Forever Drive (arcade racer)

:/

Fusebox said:
I'm really enjoying Epoch so far! I totally get the cover-system design and it works great.

I deleted Evertales. :(

I know it's too early too really tell with certainty, but what can you infer about longevity or replayability? I'm liking the fact it isn't a shooter in the conventional sense, so if it turns out to be a quirky and tough title, I might nab it.

Fusebox

Banned
Not too sure yet, its feeding me plot tidbits as I go, not sure if I'll get all of them in the first play through, and there's a load of new upgrades and alternative weapons to unlock as well. Main thing is the battles, its just a well balanced and satisfying dodge and shoot game with sick graphics so I can see myself picking it up a lot for quick sessions once I have finished the story.

hyp

i am so hooked on junk jack. :( brilliant little game that is way more addicting than kairosoft games imo. by the way, it scaled so awesomely on the iPad 2 iOS 5. i tried the game on my daughter's iPad 1 running iOS 4.2 and it looked like shit. apparently apple has indeed improved 2x scaling though retinapad is still king.

colinp

Banned
Hmmm, Epoch looks really cool but I'm not sure I wanna drop $5.99 at the moment. Surely they'll be a sale soon, right? haha, how sad the AppStore is sometimes..

Fusebox

Banned
Im still digging Epoch, it almost feels like a modern twist on Space Invaders - when you break it down you're really just dodging bullets and returning fire but it's all about getting into the right rhythm and it gets hectic as it goes on, it's a great idea executed really well.

A very brief time spent with the opening levels/tute missions of Ravenmark...and any self-respecting TBS fan should nab it. Great artwork, fine production values and some very strong tactical elements to play with. Judging by the unit menus in-game, this has a lot in common with Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI on PC in terms of army combat.

Really good stuff, and with a fantasy Dark Ages mix of Roman Briton aesthetic...

For three bucks, you can't go wrong.

japtor

Pylon_Trooper said:
...not counting PoseBook, which was a cool ten bucks, but invaluable for scribbling.
(if it's what I just saw) Is it just a book/video type app, or can you draw in the app itself as well?

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
colinp said:
Hmmm, Epoch looks really cool but I'm not sure I wanna drop $5.99 at the moment. Surely they'll be a sale soon, right? haha, how sad the AppStore is sometimes..

Yeah, I give it three weeks before it drops in price.

japtor said:
(if it's what I just saw) Is it just a book/video type app, or can you draw in the app itself as well?

It's merely a handy reference manual - essentially a good few hundred quality pose photos and outlines. YMMV on it, and it's a bit of a luxurious pick-up, but handy to have in your pocket, I suppose.

japtor

Pylon_Trooper said:
It's merely a handy reference manual - essentially a good few hundred quality pose photos and outlines. YMMV on it, and it's a bit of a luxurious pick-up, but handy to have in your pocket, I suppose.
Yeah that's what it seemed like from the description. I mess around with drawing on my iPad so it'd be useful if I could do it with the reference right there at the same time...I guess I could use my iPhone as a tiny reference, or the other way around, oh well.

Back to games, King of Dragon Pass iPad news! http://kingofdragonpass.blogspot.com/2011/11/ipad-update.html
The part of interest to most people I think:
I also have a rough estimate for the size: probably about 250 MB. That’s for a universal build that has assets at two sizes. This compares to 104 MB for the current iPhone-sized build.

It’s also less than a number of games I’ve downloaded, such as the special editions of The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2. And way less than RAGE HD at 1.21 GB!

That’s a plausible size, and it also doesn’t appear that I’ve broken anything on iPhone. So it seems likely that there will be a universal build. That is, an eventual update that will play in native resolution on iPhone and iPad.

Gaaraz

Junk Jack lasted about 5 minutes on my device before I deleted it.

Oddly, it reminds me most of Tiny Tower, in that it's an incredibly tedious grindfest where not a lot happens, but it has enough charm and polish that you could be easily addicted for weeks, if not months!

iFanzine did a great review of Ravenmark if anyone is interested. Really gets into the nitty-gritty of why this is a damn fine TBS.

To quote, ahem:

The Standing Orders battle system strikes a balance that’s rare in general, but even more rare in such a complex genre: it feels streamlined and accessible without sacrificing any gameplay depth. Central to the player’s concerns are movement and each unit’s context-sensitive passive and active abilities, all reliably tapped out on sparse radial menus. Many special attacks and abilities have to be carefully engineered; a cavalry unit can execute a deadly feint if it’s sitting next to an enemy and has open ground behind, while rank-and-file swordsmen can become a defensive wall if multiple units are linked together into a column. All enemy and player commands are interleaved in turn order during a Battle Phase, with attacks and counter-attacks happening automatically as units smack into one another. To ensure that a particular unit lands a blow, the player has to check turn order carefully and make sure his or her squads will move out and make contact before the target gets a chance to reposition.

You might go in expecting lots of swords-and-sorcery trappings – elemental affiliations, area effect spells, etc. – but Ravenmark dodges that fantasy trope by shifting much more weight onto the process of maneuver. The rarity of magic in Estellion makes for less eye candy, but this is a decidedly refreshing approach to the genre that I very much appreciate. The player has to take care that his or her units don’t get flanked or even blocked by enemies in the next turn, and wheeling behemoth columns around becomes dicey on uneven terrain or if the battle becomes sloppy. Waiting a turn, or even moving a unit differently than during a previous attempt, has major repercussions on how the battle will progress — the player can use this to his or her advantage if a particular set of enemies proves tough enough to demand a retry. If a hero unit goes down it’s automatically Game Over, but the player can manually restart the moment things begin to look sour.

One very important gameplay facet not mentioned in the preview is the fact that the player has a limited number of Command Points to distribute among units during any given Command Phase. This reflects the limited command resources a medieval general would realistically have; you can’t talk to everyone at once! That might sound like a downer, but worry not – this is actually where the Standing Orders system gets its name. The player can stretch his or her command resources by telling a unit to do something, and continue to do it in successive turns at no cost until instructed otherwise. For example, a unit or formation can be instructed to press onward, pursue a particular enemy unit, or remain at rest to recover a few hit points.

As a fan of army-based TBS antics, rather than group-based, this is heavenly. UI is so slick. But, not without some caveats for the moment for some folks...

Version 1.00 of Ravenmark will crash on the iPod Touch 4, but we’ve played through the swiftly coming Version 1.01 with no such problem and expect it to hit the App Store imminently. On the downside, the first update may have to disable Ravenmark’s Retina support on the iPod Touch 4 to prevent said crashes there; Ravenmark should still take advantage of the iPhone 4′s Retina display. We’re keeping our fingers crossed that Retina support will be restored for the iPod Touch 4 by the time Witching Hour pushes a universal update to the game, promised by year’s end.

...universal update in a month's time, roundabout? Bodes well for our iPad brethren.

NPEIfl.jpg

IObz6l.jpg

I6fNtl.jpg

b4Et6l.jpg

Man, first Starbase Orion and now this...iOS strategy gaming continues to power on. I daresay the genre is one of the platform's strongest suits.

Fusebox said:
That sounds really good! Thx for posting that, I'll grab the game as soon as universal lands.

I was thinking about you fellows as soon as I read a Universal update was around the corner. Spent a little more time with it and having a blast...I'm usually a fellow who skips the story in these games, but I'm actually quite invested! Great writing, as far these things go!

Flim Flam

Neo Member
man Backstab is a HUGE power drain. Played it for ~20 minutes and it used almost 20% battery, not to mention I can now toast my bread on the back of my 4S.

bob page

I'm tempted to pick up Starfront HD for $1 but every Gameloft game has been a disappointment, even at $1.

Any more impressions on Evertales?

Flim Flam said:
man Backstab is a HUGE power drain. Played it for ~20 minutes and it used almost 20% battery, not to mention I can now toast my bread on the back of my 4S.
I personally think that the 4S was the wrong way to go for apple this time around, that A5 is drinking that battery so damn fast even after 5.01 beta iOS updates, it's some serious power but also with such a bad battery the iPhone 4 is still better imo.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ravenmark portraits are FFTactics rip offs :p

Game could use better GUI icons to match the nice in game art though.

HBP

bob page said:
I'm tempted to pick up Starfront HD for $1 but every Gameloft game has been a disappointment, even at $1.

I have it but haven't put much time into it, seems ok from what I have played. But I mostly agree with their games being disappointing however I have been playing Dungeon Hunter 2 lately and have been enjoying it.

Hige

bob page said:
Save your money. I beat it within a couple hours and it has choppy framerate on my iPhone 4 and iPad 1. Took a few more hours to grind money to buy everything else in the game. The classes aren't balanced well; the melee weapons (and ice staff) and warrior class are not very good. To top it off, I'm stuck at 11 out of 12 achievements since one of the achievements is for buying a currency IAP!

Wrekt

I need a game suggestion.

I have a 4s and not a lot of time to play games on it. I'm looking for something where I can make some progress in 2 minutes, put it down, and come back to it 4 hours later. My wife plays Tiny Tower but I want something where the choices are a little bit more meaningful. Someone on another forum suggested DragonVale, but it is a little too cutesy and a wayyy imbalanced so I've lost interest.

I know this isn't GAFs type of game, but I'm hoping one of you can help me out.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just in case people don't follow the iOS5 thread in the OT, the 5.0.1 battery improving update is out over OTA now, 55mb large (or iTunes 813mb). If you're running the 5.0.1 beta you'll have to update via iTunes as the phone thinks it's already on 5.0.1 (and yep, it's a new build number, 9A405 vs. beta 9A404).

hyp

Tunesmith said:
Just in case people don't follow the iOS5 thread in the OT, the 5.0.1 battery improving update is out over OTA now, 55mb large (or iTunes 813mb). If you're running the 5.0.1 beta you'll have to update via iTunes as the phone thinks it's already on 5.0.1 (and yep, it's a new build number, 9A405 vs. beta 9A404).
thanks for the heads up! gonna try my first OTA firmware update. wish me luck.

japtor

Wrekt said:
I need a game suggestion.

I have a 4s and not a lot of time to play games on it. I'm looking for something where I can make some progress in 2 minutes, put it down, and come back to it 4 hours later. My wife plays Tiny Tower but I want something where the choices are a little bit more meaningful. Someone on another forum suggested DragonVale, but it is a little too cutesy and a wayyy imbalanced so I've lost interest.

I know this isn't GAFs type of game, but I'm hoping one of you can help me out.
King of Dragon Pass, the decisions are meaningful and you can play it in short bursts (or if you really get sucked into it, play for a while).

Alexios

Tunesmith said:
What's OTA, I don't want to download that big a file if I can just get 55 MB with the same effect...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Alextended said:
What's OTA, I don't want to download that big a file if I can just get 55 MB with the same effect...
Over The Air, go to Settings > General > Software Update. Needs wifi and at least +50% battery life to install.

Robot Unicorn Attack finally got retina support and game center implementation.....but now it crashes on me. Loads the title screen, connects to game center then crashes.

EDIT: after a hard hold home&lock reboot it finally works, but the performance is awful. Game is really struggling and my double jump feels delayed. Hope they fix it soon.

Alexios

Thanks, doing it now! Did it.

Might have to get Ravenmark if it gets 1.99 Euro sale & iPad version.

Alexios

Is that Bjork: Biophilia app interesting? Does it include any free content at all without in app purchases?

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Khanage said:
This game looks great.

Simogo's style is stunning, and I love seeing genre-mashup-inspired new concepts (that's what we really enjoy doing at our studio, actually!). Looking forward to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom