• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusebox

Banned
Alextended said:
Might have to get Ravenmark if it gets 1.99 Euro sale & iPad version.
I'm waiting for the iPad version too but I'm not gonna be a tightarse about the price, the game looks like it has a load of content. Should be easily worth a fiver.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Fusebox said:
I'm waiting for the iPad version too but I'm not gonna be a tightarse about the price, the game looks like it has a load of content. Should be easily worth a fiver.
I currently have 6 euros in my iOS game budget, I want to make it count and get at least 3 nice games!

iCade is a cool concept but not many games use that kind of thing do they? Maybe if you could get emulators for iPad...

Also, expensive, though there are cheaper thingies from Atari and likely others, but they don't look cool.

Pastry

Banned
dream said:
Evertales really is shit. I'm starting to think those Aralon people are incapable of making a good game.
Don't the Aralon people just publish these games and they're made by other teams? Maybe I'm wrong. I hope so :( I'm looking forward to Kids vs Goblins from them, it looks like a beefed up Battleheart.

Fusebox

Banned
dream said:
Evertales really is shit. I'm starting to think those Aralon people are incapable of making a good game.

Hey I really liked Aralon, thats why I jumped on Evertales so quickly but then I did try to warn you people that it's a dud.

I finished Epoch, the first run through is quite quick as Easy mode is the only option, maybe an hour, an hour and a half but it's all action. There's a load of unopened plot lines and the ending didn't feel right so I'm convinced that I'm working toward a proper ending.

Medium difficulty is more challenging, it sets a really good pace right from the start.

Keeping in mind that this is an extremely simple reflex game with sexy graphics and a load of customisation and an interesting plot underneath, I highly rate it. Anyone thinking they're getting anything like a traditional 3PS or FPS shooter will be disappointed but anyone who wants to play Space Invaders with a badass skin should definitely pick this up.

Took some obligatory screenshots:

Ducking and reloading...

6333433162_93b4a894c9_z.jpg

My bullets are green because I'm using a corrosive ammo which does DoT...

6332681983_fd31d5670f_z.jpg

Tearing spare parts from a defeated opponent...

6332682217_371a9459f3_z.jpg

Alexios

I mean what are the controls and stuff. I don't see many on screen buttons... Is it a Shooter version of Infinity Blade then?

Is it like Time Crisis or something, just take cover to dodge shots and stand up and tap on enemies to shoot them or what?

Kurdel

Banned
Alextended said:
I mean what are the controls and stuff. I don't see many on screen buttons... Is it a Shooter version of Infinity Blade then?

Is it like Time Crisis or something, just take cover to dodge shots and stand up and tap on enemies to shoot them or what?
Tap to lock aim.

Swipe down to hide.

Swipe left or right to change cover spot.

Swipe up to get out of cover and fire.

Such a simple, but effective control scheme.

Alexios

Meh. Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy especially with that little content but I'll probably have to get it for my brother in law. Not at that price though.

What's the best controlling and overall best gyroscope iPad FPS or TPS or similar (preferably with a demo, or just super cheap) I kinda wanna try that control scheme as it sounds cool in games like Ocarina of Time 3D but in some iPad videos they often just look like tilt controls to me so some should be better than others.

Fusebox

Banned
Kurdel said:
Tap to lock aim.

Swipe down to hide.

Swipe left or right to change cover spot.

Swipe up to get out of cover and fire.

Such a simple, but effective control scheme.

Yep, and just to expand a bit:

Swipe down, to hide, swipe down again to reload

Swipe up to come out of cover, swipe up again to do a jump manouver

Tap grenade to throw equipped grenade

Tap missiles to launch equipped missile

Tap robot icon to activate equipped perk - I like the hologram decoy and the bullet-time perks best so far.

But like I already said a few times, this is Space Invaders with a sick ass skin and some strategy, this is not a typical 3PS or FPS.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Not sure what AppZapp is, but apparently they say Scribblenauts Remix is going 99 cents soon. Just saw it from CAG.

Edit: New Zealand iTunes link shows "1.29" for it, looks like it's dropping to 99 cents tonight

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Gamecocks625 said:
Is this (or the iPad version) any good? Maybe it's just my nostalgia of playing the first two Tomb Raiders that makes me think this could be a decent game, but I've been out of the Lara Croft/Tomb Raider scene for quite a while.
Ditto, though I played the demo of the PSN version and remember liking it well enough. Does it translate well to iOS? Seems like it might be a game better suited for the larger screen space of an iPad than the iPhone.

I would definitely get Scribblenauts at 0.99.

Reese-015

Cat in the Hat said:
How is shadowgun?

It's a very competent and polished yet simplistic third-person shooter that's not a 'clone' and actually feels like a solid original title. Some find the gameplay too simplistic, I think it pretty much does what it sets out to do and does it pretty well. Had quite some fun with the campaign and I'm now playing it on the unlocked Hard mode. Very muCh looking forward to the multiplayer update!

rezuth

BlueMagic said:
So is Angry Birds supposed to run kinda sluggish or is something wrong with my iPad?
Original game was always sluggish, try Angry Birds Rio for some smooth gameplay and superior art.

Reese-015 said:
It's a very competent and polished yet simplistic third-person shooter that's not a 'clone' and actually feels like a solid original title. Some find the gameplay too simplistic, I think it pretty much does what it sets out to do and does it pretty well. Had quite some fun with the campaign and I'm now playing it on the unlocked Hard mode. Very muCh looking forward to the multiplayer update!
Cool! Will definitely get this tonight.

Shancake

Wario64 said:
Not sure what AppZapp is, but apparently they say Scribblenauts Remix is going 99 cents soon. Just saw it from CAG.

Edit: New Zealand iTunes link shows "1.29" for it, looks like it's dropping to 99 cents tonight

I use AppZap. I used to use App Shopper but AppZap is so much better!

Is anyone finding that both Shadow Gun and Contre Jour are still being modified?

razielim

I'm new to ios devices and just loaded up on games mentioned here for 99cents. Could you guys tell me where you get the info on these deals and of possible sites to add to my feedler to keep up with apps and anything else iPhone/iOS related?

Thanks in advance!

Bigfoot

razielim said:
I'm new to ios devices and just loaded up on games mentioned here for 99cents. Could you guys tell me where you get the info on these deals and of possible sites to add to my feedler to keep up with apps and anything else iPhone/iOS related?

Thanks in advance!
1. Download Appshopper app and enable notifications
2. Create an Appshopper account and add games to wishlist (can also do an a PC at their website to speed things up)
3. Wait for the sales
4. This thread is great for new games not on your wishlist but others use toucharcade.com

Alexios

I wanna buy/get something with gyroscope view type controls to check out how they feel but everyone says Gameloft's MC FPS games are the best on iOS and I really don't want to support their rip offs. Isn't there anything that controls really well by some other developers? Galaxy on Fire 2 Lite/Free/Whatever didn't control well at all with the motion controls option (and was just passable with the virtual stick but anyway) so if that's supposed to be good, no thanks, but surely it can be done better.

Alexios

Gameloft doesn't only rip off generic games (though it's obvious even then, a testament to their talent) so I don't want to support them as a whole. But ok, be a smartass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom