• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow780

Fusebox said:
Check out Avadon, see if that looks like something you'd be interested in.

And yeah flashburn, folders?

14.99 :*(

wilflare said:
share your purchases!
what did you get?

Zombieville HD
Zombieville 2 HD
Three Kingdoms TD Shu
Shadowgun
Scribblenauts
Grand Prix Story
Backstab
Starfront
Earth and Legend RPG HD

Dingotech

Oh Appshopper, yeh be a harsh mistress!

Purchases today -

Shadowgun
Scribblenauts
GP Story

All on my 5 year wedding anniversary, it's so romantic!

So I bought Scribblenauts. I'm pretty sure my iPod is too old for it (think it's second-gen, lol) but at 69p it's worth just having it their for when I hopefully get something better.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Goddamn! So far I got Peggle (was already in my GC account as I used to play it on someone else's device), ShadowGun, Street Fighter Volt and GP Story. I'd get World of Goo but I finished it on the Wii and I'm still on the fence about Lara Croft Guardian of Light and Jelly Defense.

edit: thinking about Contre Jour too, I remember one gaffer enjoying it a lot. I'll probably end up buying everything so lol.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Was thinking about buying Contre Jour. read the description... Blurring the lines between games and interactive art... Oh fuck off! Blurring the lines between homage and flatout plagiarism is more like it, the game doesn't seem to have an original idea to call its own and the pretentious first line has turned me right off it.

Ranger X

Jedeye Sniv said:
Was thinking about buying Contre Jour. read the description... Blurring the lines between games and interactive art... Oh fuck off! Blurring the lines between homage and flatout plagiarism is more like it, the game doesn't seem to have an original idea to call its own and the pretentious first line has turned me right off it.

Fuck descriptions lol
The game is fun, that's all there is to it and that should influence you. It's fucking tuff though.

Really wish SFIV Volt was Universal. Tough to play it in it's current state on the iPad.

All these $0.99 sales...man. I have no interest in Scribblenauts or Shadowgun but I might jump in at those prices.

Pachimari

I have resisted the urge to buy all these sales so far.. =)
Though I am thinking about Contre Jeur HD, Shadowgun and Scribblenauts HD. I probably won't bite this time.

Reese-015

High Flyer Death Defyer is on sale and says it has updated controls. Should I get it? I remember everything being sorta great about this game except for the absolutely game-breaking controls, right? Can anyone check if the update fixes it?

Scribblenaughts, World of Goo, & Jelly Defense for me.

I keep buying iOS games and I have not even tried half of them. I really have to stop reading this thread. :)

Zeth

I really hate Shadowgun even for $.99.

Jelly Defense is such a great deal, people should get it. Also Super Stickman Golf is free if you for some reason don't own it. Most fun multiplayer I've experienced on iOS.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Woke up to the pleasant AppShopper alert of Bumpy Road being on sale.

Absolutely love this game, but wish there was some way to hear that lovely song from the trailer.

Noticed on the new sales Shift 2 Unleashed is also .99, if anyone is interested in that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Zeth said:
I really hate Shadowgun even for $.99.

Jelly Defense is such a great deal, people should get it. Also Super Stickman Golf is free if you for some reason don't own it. Most fun multiplayer I've experienced on iOS.
Hate? It's kind of generic and repetitive, but it's really not half bad for 99 cents. It controls smoothly, looks great, and plays decently.

Epoch is a lot more fun, though, even though it is a bit too limited.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Also, does Peggle for iPhone include the Nights levels? I've already quadruple-dipped on that game, but Game Center support sounds super tempting.

cuyahoga

Jedeye Sniv said:
There's a Universal lite version, try it out. I initially was pretty skeptical as you were, but I quickly turned around.

Couldn't resist Shadowgun and Scribble at those prices. Excited to finally give em a shot.

Looks like the "everything will be 99 cents one day, just wait or play something else instead" strategy is still relevant.

Murmur

Snaggged

- ShadowGun
- Scribblenauts
- Jelly Defense

How am I supposed to not load up when things are the price of a Coke?

Crazy deals.

Meier

Glad to hear so many picking up Jelly Defense. Really solid title.

I was recommended 7 Cities in the past and got an AppShopper email saying its down to 99¢ as well. Believe it's a TD kind of game with a twist IIRC.

Luigi87

Meier said:
Scribblenauts is fun and a steal at 99¢ but god damn do the controls suck.
They could be better.
Turning on digital analog sticks certainly is a big improvement from the default at least.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Reese-015 said:
High Flyer Death Defyer is on sale and says it has updated controls. Should I get it? I remember everything being sorta great about this game except for the absolutely game-breaking controls, right? Can anyone check if the update fixes it?

You should get it, and then tell me if its good or not

Shaneus

Are there any Trials/Joe Danger-esque games for iOS? Seems like it would be the ideal platform for them. I'd wager there are, but probably fuck-all with decent production values.

Shaneus said:
Are there any Trials/Joe Danger-esque games for iOS? Seems like it would be the ideal platform for them. I'd wager there are, but probably fuck-all with decent production values.

DynaStunts and Bike Baron are pretty fun.

Shaneus said:
Definitely Bike Baron.

There's also Trials Xtreme 2 (Not the same Trials series...I don't think) and Flip Riders.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, nobody can recommend a good gyroscope based game like a first person shooter or whatever else (not a racing game, I already have one, and love it, and want to know how such motion controls work for camera type control) but preferable one that doesn't come from Gameloft? I'd think more games would wanna use that feature... Or is everyone really sticking with using just virtual dual sticks for such games and can't know how good different gyroscope implementations have been?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Alextended said:
So, nobody can recommend a good gyroscope based game like a first person shooter or whatever else (not a racing game, I already have one, and love it, and want to know how such motion controls work for camera type control) but preferable one that doesn't come from Gameloft? I'd think more games would wanna use that feature... Or is everyone really sticking with using just virtual dual sticks for such games and can't know how good different gyroscope implementations have been?

Rage HD uses it, seemed fun for the 5 mins i spent trying it out. You do look a bit of a tit standing in your room spinning around though.

jlevel13

Shaneus said:
Is Shift 2 one of those games that looks ridiculously good on the 4S/Retina?

I don't know how it looks, but it's one of those games I've never heard a single person say a good thing about...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Jedeye Sniv said:
Rage HD uses it, seemed fun for the 5 mins i spent trying it out. You do look a bit of a tit standing in your room spinning around though.
Well aren't there different sensitivity options, so you can have it set either true to life so that you actually need to spin 180 to look behind you (I'd like to try it like that for a while too) or increase it and then need much smaller movements but still have it remain intuitive and natural?

Shaneus

jlevel13 said:
I don't know how it looks, but it's one of those games I've never heard a single person say a good thing about...
Yeah, I read a review and they said it was basically in between Hot Pursuit and Real Racing 2, but not in a good way, and both of which I already have.

Reese-015

Alextended said:

Rage HD does indeed make excellent use of it and it works perfectly for the game but partially because it is on rails and more of a Time Crisis-like game, not a real fps. Other fps's (like the Gameloft ones) use the dual sticks with gyro 'assist'. The idea is that you mainly use the sticks and do the more precise adjustments in aiming with gyro and it works decently. You CAN just ignore the sticks and only use gyro and that's a lot of fun but it's also exhausting and you will get owned in the multiplayer cause for some reason it ends up being harder than using it in addition to the sticks.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Bought all the games I was considering in my previous post + Bumpy Road. Even after I convert from dollars to my currency it's still within how much I spend in a single fast food trip, haha.

The only thing I'm not even considering getting is Scribblenauts, I've had my share of the sandbox mode with the first game on the DS and the actual game/controls part is well... I know it's supposed to be better in this (?) but I don't really feel like finding out (I remember someone saying the iOS version is missing the gold star rankings too and that it cuts down the actual challenge).

Rlan said:
Another sale! Bitmap brother's Z is 99c for the weekend!
Ffff, this looks fun too.

confused

Banned
Can I get some impressions on the following games please? :

Battlefield BC
Street Fighter Volt
ShadowGun

Backstab

New to mobile gaming, can't quite tell what's good or not from pics/video yet

confused said:
Can I get some impressions on the following games please? :

Battlefield BC
Street Fighter Volt
ShadowGun
Backstab

New to mobile gaming, can't quite tell what's good or not from pics/video yet

Gorgeous graphics and nice performance on iPhone 4. The levels are pretty much disguised corridors with various places to duck behind while you take out enemies. It's fun, but I wouldn't call it diverse.

The controls work well because the movement is handled with a touch anywhere stick, so anywhere you put your left thumb is where the movement disc is placed. My annoyance is the fire button on the right, it's a bit low. Luckily you can move the button wherever you want, so once you customize the controls it'll feel better (if you're like me).

It's gorgeous, it's shocking for a phone, it's fun. It's just not deep. Definitely worth getting, and I'd award it status as a game iOS gamers should show off.

Zeth

I've probably played 5+ hours of Zombieville 2 this week. The upgrade and perk systems are so damn good, I'm addicted to just grinding for money to max out different setups (which are all unique and really cool). Co-op is actually really seamless and well done. I hope they add more content, I love this game.

Epoch is great fun but had a lot of trouble with the last boss. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, you breeze through each level and then there's a giant difficulty spike for the last encounter it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom