• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reese-015

Berksy said:
Anybody played Rimelands here? I tried the lite version and like the game's system but the low res graphics put me off a bit. Now that the game is updated to retina, i will very likely purchase it. Only lacking gamecenter now. Would like to read some tips from fellow gaffers.

Oh, cool! I got it when it was on sale a while back and immediately gave up on it for the aliasing and low-res gfx. Gonna try it out again now, will let you guys know if I like it.

Llyranor

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'm thinking about picking those Cave shooters up, at least Dodonpachi and Espalgaluda.

Price is one thing but how is stability? Seeing the compatibility and crash warnings, just a little weary getting them.
Never noticed any stability or compatibility issues with any of them (iphone4)

The 3 Cave shmups are by far my favorite iOS games right now. Fantastic games, and the controls work surprisingly well.

By the way, is there a way to disable suicide bullets in Deathsmiles? The option is available in the 360 version, but don't see it here. I want to play at lvl 3 diff, but the suicide bullets just make it too difficult (they only appear when you select lvl 3 diff in 3-4 different levels, I think). You can disable it in practice mode, but not in the real playthrough.

Walter Matthau

Gold Member
I'm going on vacation next week for the first time in a while so I'll have time to play a "deeper" iPad game (have iPad 2). Any recommendations? I'd prefer a game that has either never been on sale or is currently on sale.

I'm also looking for the best version of Chess for iPad. The ideal features would be two players online and offline, a mode that teaches strategy, and simple user interface.

Games I own:
S&S
Hot Springs Story
Coin Drop
Monopoly
Albert HD
Death Rally
RunRunDash!

Edit: + free version Ascension

Reese-015

Holy shit. Order & Chaos has been ported to Facebook. http://apps.facebook.com/orderandchaos/

Decent WoW clone as a Facebook game = crazy potential.

From what I've played of it thus far on my iPhone, it's damn solid too. Atm I prefer it way more than Aralon and would play Order & Chaos all the time instead if it would work over 3G. Gameloft may publish some pretty meh stuff most of the time but every once in a while, they do something cool.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I just took a reasonably long trip and purchased Chaos Rings and Puzzle Agent for the flight - both kept me fully entertained.

Chaos Rings is a Square Enix RPG with a great battle system and unique story, but is fairly linear. There's no great open world to explore (at least not yet) and everything is centered around a hub area. Kind of a grind, but super high production values makes this one shine.

Puzzle Agent is essentially Professor Layton. A point a click game with logic puzzles every 30 seconds. Again, great production values with a unique story, but the game is over way too quickly. I finished it in around 2 hours.

Aaron

parathod said:
I'm going on vacation next week for the first time in a while so I'll have time to play a "deeper" iPad game (have iPad 2). Any recommendations? I'd prefer a game that has either never been on sale or is currently on sale.
Sid Meier's Pirates! and Civilization Revolution. Both with plenty of depth.

Berksy said:
Anybody played Rimelands here? I tried the lite version and like the game's system but the low res graphics put me off a bit. Now that the game is updated to retina, i will very likely purchase it. Only lacking gamecenter now. Would like to read some tips from fellow gaffers.
I've completed the game. It starts out slow, but the combat gets really good once you have a few abilities. I recommend focusing on one of the three ability trees for max effect. My only complaint is the story is pretty poorly written.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
parathod said:

I'm also looking for the best version of Chess for iPad. The ideal features would be two players online and offline, a mode that teaches strategy, and simple user interface.

Games I own:
S&S
Hot Springs Story
Coin Drop
Monopoly
Albert HD
Death Rally
RunRunDash!

The Dead Space game for iPad is pretty amazinng, and actually controls quite well. Puzzle Quest 2 is a fantastic time sink of a game and Infinity Blade is a great modern Punch Out clone - with swords.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, Bean's Quest is awesome. It's very short, but it's a blast to play, it looks lovely, and runs at 60 fps. Well worth it, I think.

mzl.ixurmzay.320x480-75.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'm thinking about picking those Cave shooters up, at least Dodonpachi and Espalgaluda.

Price is one thing but how is stability? Seeing the compatibility and crash warnings, just a little weary getting them.

Demos... Try them

mkenyon

Banned
Played Pirates! for like two hours last night. I love that game so much. The sword fights are a lot harder with swipes than they were on PC/X-Box.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
parathod said:

Games I own:
S&S
Hot Springs Story
Coin Drop
Monopoly
Albert HD
Death Rally
RunRunDash!

Out of games that have never, afaik, been on sale I personally LOVE Swords & Poker 2, probably in my iOS top5.
RPGish meets Poker game meets Puzzle Quest. There's no much of a story if at all, but the game is phenomenal.
Unfortunately it isn't Universal, so it plays zoomed 2X which it does rather well (always played it on iPad).
Monkey Island SE 1 & 2 if they've fixed the bugs (I never had any) are must haves.
Plant vs Zombies obviously you've already played since it's the bes... WTF you don't have it already?! Fix that, asap :p

That's it, I can't think of others that haven't been on "heavy" sale ($0.99) at least once.
Maybe Ascension (think Magic the Gathering) is up right your allie and if you're into old and hard as nails crpg I hear that Avadon is fantastic.

OH! I forgot, Civ Revolution is on sale!
You also can still grab till today (or tomorrow?) Tales of Monkey Island ep1 and Back to the Future ep1 for free!

Not really "deep" per se, it's a physics based puzzle game, but Cut The Rope Hd is a pure, brilliant, shiny gem... Try the Lite version.
I also suggest, but these have been on sale, World of Goo, Toki Tori HD and Broken Sword DC.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Ok, Bean's Quest looks awesome indeed! I love the fact that it is universal as well.
I'm a little weary of the thumb controls tho, how does it control on iPad?

Minsc

Gold Member
Rekwest said:
Defence. Grid is on IOS?

Unfortunately, no. I only mentioned it in the difficulty comparisons because it was on my mind from an earlier post just a short while before, along with PvZ, and Trenched. I haven't played Trenched, but both PvZ and Defense Grid are criminally easy for the amount of love they get, compared to harder games, like GeoDefense. It's hard to count Defender Chronicles as a harder TD game, even though it sorta is, because of the RPG elements that encourage grinding to dynamically alter difficulty. Another surprisingly hard one is the very late game levels of Guns N Glory, but I don't like to count that either, since that one becomes all about running your guys all over the map to collect power ups. I don't think any TD game is as hard as trying to get perfects in Square's Crystal Defenders though, but GeoDefense probably comes close.

Walter Matthau

Gold Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I never even heard of swords & poker but hopefully the next game is universal. I have a lot of those other games for other platforms. Love the Monkey Island series. I gave up after 4 hours or so on Dead Space for PS3. I like the free version of ascension, but it gets repetitive quickly. The matches are too short. When they put out the expansion I'll probably cave. I'm waiting for a sale on P v Z. Avadon had huge support when it came out and it's been quiet ever since. It seems like people might have just been excited for a old school isometric rpg to come out, but don't actually play it. Ive never actually played puzzle quest so I might pick that up, but the second one sounds buggy. Is the first one or second a better game?

Also, between pirates and civ rev, which is the better game? I know they are very different.

And no one has chess on their iPad? Too old school?

Reese-015 said:
Dodonpachi is one of my absolute favs, that and Infinity Blade have probably given me by far the most enjoyment of all the games I've played thus far and it has never crashed on me that I can remember (neither has Espgaluda I think).
conman said:
I've played the shit out of both of those Cave games on both my iPod Touch (3rd gen) and my iPad 2. No major problems. Sometimes I get some sound glitches, but nothing too annoying. Stability probably depends on how new (i.e. how powerful) your device is.

And, yes, they're worth every penny at their full price. At this point, I've probably put more time into Espgaluda 2 on my iPad than I have with the same game on my 360 (which cost me $90).
Thanks. I'll try to pick them up. I think I'm at least interested in those I mentioned and maybe Death Smiles. I was interested in the the bug themed one (I can't spell out the title), but I notice it's a top down shooter like Smash TV. Still looks pretty fun.

Minsc said:
Try playing a few of the medium or hard levels of GeoDefense on the default hardcore mode. PvZ is like a 1 or 2 out of 10 for difficulty, Defense Grid maybe a 3 or 4 at times, but mostly a 1 or 2 as well, while GeoDefense is a full-blown 9 or 10 (except for the first few of the mediums).
I guess it's because I never played tower defense games which is why it was challenging.

Man, if I think PvZ is challenging, then I must suck at video games!
Dynamite Shikoku said:
gameloft have some games on sale again
Picked a few up. Real Golf 2011 and Asphalt 5 are surprisingly good!

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=356770949&mt=8

Hey guys, I've still really been on my card game kick, and as so often happens, I've found one going free for a limited time. I've played a few games now, and it's pretty cool.

I don't have ANY experience whatsoever with Solitaire, so I don't know if this is in fact some kinda Dungeon-crawl themed version or if they just call it that due to it being a solitary experience.

Cool art, and interesting mechanics though. So, yeah, Dungeon Solitaire for free!

Huff

Banned
dark10x said:
OK, Bean's Quest is awesome. It's very short, but it's a blast to play, it looks lovely, and runs at 60 fps. Well worth it, I think.

mzl.ixurmzay.320x480-75.jpg

I'm loving this. Seems simple enough, but trying to get the par number of jumps is hard as hell to me. Only 8 levels, which is a bit of a turn off, but challenging enough to spend hours trying to perfect the levels.

Zzoram

parathod said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I never even heard of swords & poker but hopefully the next game is universal. I have a lot of those other games for other platforms. Love the Monkey Island series. I gave up after 4 hours or so on Dead Space for PS3. I like the free version of ascension, but it gets repetitive quickly. The matches are too short. When they put out the expansion I'll probably cave. I'm waiting for a sale on P v Z. Avadon had huge support when it came out and it's been quiet ever since. It seems like people might have just been excited for a old school isometric rpg to come out, but don't actually play it. Ive never actually played puzzle quest so I might pick that up, but the second one sounds buggy. Is the first one or second a better game?

Also, between pirates and civ rev, which is the better game? I know they are very different.

And no one has chess on their iPad? Too old school?

Civ has more complexity and strategy involved. It's also more time consuming. Depends on what you're looking for I suppose. If you want a game that you can really sit down for hours at a time playing, Civ is certainly great. Pirates! is enjoyable in smaller bursts and much simpler.

EmSeta

FoxhoundNL said:
Carcassonne (turn-based board game)
MultiPong (Pong for up to 4 players, with all kinds of crazy shit going on)
Achtung (awesome awesome awesome (up to) 4 players game)

Thanks for all the ideas, will check the games out :)

Anyone else have suggestions for multiplayer games for iPad?

Fulleffect said:
I tried shadow cities on ipad2 a few times, but it never got my loc so never got to try it :/ not sure whats up with that
I think it's best played on iPhone so you'll constantly have your location updated when you're not on Wi-Fi.

Also though it wasn't universal, for iPhone & iPod touch only?

I downloaded Shadow Cities for my iPhone and despite going through the tutorial, I still have no idea what I'm supposed to do. It's plopped me down into my realworld setting and has told me to catch a spirit, but no matter what kind of floating orb I do the pull down menu + Z swipe to, it tells me I'm doing it wrong.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Flunkie said:
Just tried Kard Combat for the first time. Fun!

Oh man, it is really a great game. I'm teaching my oldest daughter about card games using KC. Ascension was a bit too complicated for her, but she picked up KC straight away. It really is a nice, simple game with great art.

In fact, do yourself a favor and head to Hothead's Facebook page and check out the full art for each card. They have some extremely talented folks there.

soldat7

Horseticuffs said:
Oh man, it is really a great game. I'm teaching my oldest daughter about card games using KC. Ascension was a bit too complicated for her, but she picked up KC straight away. It really is a nice, simple game with great art.

In fact, do yourself a favor and head to Hothead's Facebook page and check out the full art for each card. They have some extremely talented folks there.

The game is offensively low resolution. I'll check out the full card art in the game if they ever update it.

Mike Works said:
I downloaded Shadow Cities for my iPhone and despite going through the tutorial, I still have no idea what I'm supposed to do. It's plopped me down into my realworld setting and has told me to catch a spirit, but no matter what kind of floating orb I do the pull down menu + Z swipe to, it tells me I'm doing it wrong.

Yeah it's a bit weird at first but it gets strangely addicting.

mhayze

Here's a general question - what's the highest production values you have seen in an iPad / iPhone game? Regardless of your personal feelings about the game, and I guess ports can be counted in there too. I know there are a lot of fun, indy 'small' games, but I'm thinking of polished AAA games that make you not miss your console (as much).

soldat7

Captain N said:
I got Ascension last night, but it really makes me wish we'd get Magic on iOS.

Magic would certainly be awesome, but Ascension is quite a different beast. Ascension makes me want more deck building and more board games, not CCGs.

soldat7 said:
Magic would certainly be awesome, but Ascension is quite a different beast. Ascension makes me want more deck building and more board games, not CCGs.

I would even be fine with Battle of Gundabad updating with multi-player.

ozhenson

After about two years of reading these threads and watching them syphon money from my bank account I am finally posting(hurray for getting approved finally)

Me and two friends are going to be going on a fairly lengthy roadtrip in a couple days. Does anyone have and suggestions of iPhone games that could be alot of fun for three people, and work in a cramped car environment?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Chu Chu Rocket has finally been fixed so that it will work on the iPad 2. It previously crashed whenever you tried to start it.

Great fun as always, though it loos like it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of levels that the Dreamcast or GBA versions had. Shame.

Hey guys, what's the best Solitaire game?

Is Gameloft's Platinum Solitaire the best one?

Also, spot on about Cave's shoot-em-ups. They were pricey but they're really amazing. I figured I remember wanting to import one of these shooters on consoles for $80, but never did it because of the price. So when I think of it that way, $12 is nothing!

(Still expensive for a iPhone game though!)

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Hey guys, what's the best Solitaire game?

Is Gameloft's Platinum Solitaire the best one?

Also, spot on about Cave's shoot-em-ups. They were pricey but they're really amazing. I figured I remember wanting to import one of these shooters on consoles for $80, but never did it because of the price. So when I think of it that way, $12 is nothing!

(Still expensive for a iPhone game though!)

I still play just Solitaire by MobilityWare it should still be free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom