• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

japtor

mhayze said:
Here's a general question - what's the highest production values you have seen in an iPad / iPhone game? Regardless of your personal feelings about the game, and I guess ports can be counted in there too. I know there are a lot of fun, indy 'small' games, but I'm thinking of polished AAA games that make you not miss your console (as much)
Probably the Cave games for me, they're not perfect but they're pretty solid.

burgerdog

Looks like SE is going to miss their release window for FFT for the third time. I know, I know, it's SE yadayadayada, but my god is it ever so annoying.

Smo21

burgerdog said:
Looks like SE is going to miss their release window for FFT for the third time. I know, I know, it's SE yadayadayada, but my god is it ever so annoying.

WTF!!!!! OH well ill go play some Chaos Rings then.

Azriell

ozhenson said:
After about two years of reading these threads and watching them syphon money from my bank account I am finally posting(hurray for getting approved finally)

Me and two friends are going to be going on a fairly lengthy roadtrip in a couple days. Does anyone have and suggestions of iPhone games that could be alot of fun for three people, and work in a cramped car environment?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
I used to play Cash Cab with my friends at work on break. Everyone would just shout out answers. It may even still be free.

There are also the typical board games, but if "fun for three people" includes the driver, I don't see how Monopoly or Life could be fun or safe. If you go this route though, I would suggest Monopoly, Life, Carcassonne, Catan, and Scrabble. I'm sure there are many others.

I think trivia games are really all you can count on (for the driving portion of your trip). I don't know if they exist or if they're good, but I'd check the AppStore for Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Family Feud, and You Don't Know Jack.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SmokyDave said:
You're crazy, they're worth every penny and then some.
Yeah, I just feel bad for missing the sale in April so I figure I'd wait. But at this rate, they'll probably be 15.99 next year.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Hey guys, what's the best Solitaire game?

Is Gameloft's Platinum Solitaire the best one?

Also, spot on about Cave's shoot-em-ups. They were pricey but they're really amazing. I figured I remember wanting to import one of these shooters on consoles for $80, but never did it because of the price. So when I think of it that way, $12 is nothing!

(Still expensive for a iPhone game though!)
Oh man, I'm posting from my iPod so it would be a huge pain to check quick but for god's sake go check if Dungeon Solitaire is still free.

It's a heck of a lot of fun!

burgerdog said:
I thought it was end of this month, so this coming week. Or was it pushed back again?

Rlan

So Gamevil just released "Zenonia 3.". Not "Zenonia 3", but a separate version of the game, which is also free.

mzl.cerclbds.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.jihkedna.320x480-75.jpg

http://itunes.apple.com/app/zenonia-3./id434175353?ls=1&mt=8#

The original version still exists, I believe this one must be based off of the Android version, which was free with ad and in-game currency based. Would be interesting to see how well it works.

Saterium

mhayze said:
Here's a general question - what's the highest production values you have seen in an iPad / iPhone game? Regardless of your personal feelings about the game, and I guess ports can be counted in there too. I know there are a lot of fun, indy 'small' games, but I'm thinking of polished AAA games that make you not miss your console (as much).

Final Fantasy 3 and Chaos Rings have pretty high production values.
Anything Telltale is solid although some of their ports are questionable.
Lastly, the two monkey island remakes along with the broken sword are the definitive versions IMO.

Sid Meier's Pirates belongs on here too.

With the exception of Chaos Rings, they're all ports though. I'd be curious to hear what others might suggest...

Reese-015

mhayze said:
Here's a general question - what's the highest production values you have seen in an iPad / iPhone game? Regardless of your personal feelings about the game, and I guess ports can be counted in there too. I know there are a lot of fun, indy 'small' games, but I'm thinking of polished AAA games that make you not miss your console (as much).

Kind of a no-brainer, Infinity Blade and Death Rally hands down. And most likely Real Racing 2 though I haven't played it myself.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Just wanted to say Sid Meier is my god...

Now a proper Civ or even Master of Magic please!

Mik2121

Gowans007 said:
I know I'm a week late but I just noticed the 17% price hike on the UK app store :(
Dang, sucks for you. Here in Japan games were already cheap (115 Yen), but now they are even cheaper (85 Yen, you can't really buy much with that amount of money here, lol).

wilflare

Blackace said:
Just wanted to say Sid Meier is my god...

Now a proper Civ or even Master of Magic please!

"my god" meaning is it a bomba? or really good?
it's not appearing on my Singapore Store :/
shucks

if you have a japanese itunes
get Jubeat, AWESOME game

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
wilflare said:
"my god" meaning is it a bomba? or really good?
it's not appearing on my Singapore Store :/
shucks

if you have a japanese itunes
get Jubeat, AWESOME game

are using the term bomba correctly?

It is really good. Better than the PSP version. Sword fighting is a little clunky but all in all it is very faithful to the old school versions but feels much more updated than the PSP one

Zoc

God damn it, some asshole has wiped out my itunes balance. Almost $60 gone. I'm sure I never re-used my itunes password for anything else.

I emailed Apple from their site, but I don't have high hopes. Does Apple ever issue refunds for things like this?

Rlan said:
So Gamevil just released "Zenonia 3.". Not "Zenonia 3", but a separate version of the game, which is also free.

mzl.cerclbds.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.jihkedna.320x480-75.jpg

http://itunes.apple.com/app/zenonia-3./id434175353?ls=1&mt=8#

The original version still exists, I believe this one must be based off of the Android version, which was free with ad and in-game currency based. Would be interesting to see how well it works.
Was going to say it might be ad supported like the android version, long as the adverts are not in the way of gameplay it's a cool option.

wilflare

Blackace said:
are using the term bomba correctly?

It is really good. Better than the PSP version. Sword fighting is a little clunky but all in all it is very faithful to the old school versions but feels much more updated than the PSP one

think i might have used it wrongly
any idea where i can get a US iTunes card?

Zzoram

Zoc said:
God damn it, some asshole has wiped out my itunes balance. Almost $60 gone. I'm sure I never re-used my itunes password for anything else.

I emailed Apple from their site, but I don't have high hopes. Does Apple ever issue refunds for things like this?

How do they use your iTunes money anyways? Do they buy stuff for you? I thought already redeemed credit couldn't be used to gift purchases.

Sky Chief

mhayze said:

Infinity Blade has the highest production values of any iOS game by a mile. I actually listed it as an honorable mention in the five best games of the generation thread. Swords & Sorcery and Dead Space are also up there.

Huff

Banned
Not sure if these games are worth buying, but they are on sale and I picked them up.

Hunters: Ep 1 for .99 (was 4.99)
Knights of the Phantom Castle $.99 (4.99) by Hudson
Epic War TD Free (2.99)
Top Gear: Stunt School Free
Bomberman Dojo .99 (3.99)

Does the stage where you buy games just because they are cheap ever stop? I haven't played half of the games currently on my phone

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
BroHuffman said:
Not sure if these games are worth buying, but they are on sale and I picked them up.

Hunters: Ep 1 for .99 (was 4.99)
Knights of the Phantom Castle $.99 (4.99) by Hudson
Epic War TD Free (2.99)
Top Gear: Stunt School Free
Bomberman Dojo .99 (3.99)

Does the stage where you buy games just because they are cheap ever stop? I haven't played half of the games currently on my phone
It did for me.
I don't even download free games anymore if they don't really grab my attention.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah I'm super selective about what I download now, irrespective of cost. I mean $0-$5 is really not that much of a difference. Gordon Gekko was right: "If there’s one thing I learned in prison it’s that money is not the prime commodity in our lives … time is."

Azriell

Dash Kappei said:
It did for me.
I don't even download free games anymore if they don't really grab my attention.
Same. I'm long past the mentality that I have to snatch up every free thing that comes along. I've spent far too much time deleting games after playing them only once and discovering what absolute shit they are.

These days I've switched to buying games I can't yet play in massive quantities while they're on sale. I've got a dozen or so games that I picked up on sale that I can't play until I upgrade from this 2 gen iPod to a 5th gen iPod. The real question is will I actually play all of these games, or will there be other things that I move onto too quickly.

burgerdog

BroHuffman said:

Yes, I used to buy every cheap 99c game that went on sale and would never play it. I've bought less than five games this year so I'm definitely over that. Next purchase will be FFT at whatever price it ends up being.

So Gesundheit! is out this Thursday it seems (as is our Bumpy Road 2.0 update!). Which makes this the best release Thursday ever on App Store! Sort of.
I'm really excited to try out Gesundheit!. Hope it plays as well as it looks and sounds. The art style is amazing.

BroHuffman said:
Yes, and I'm now at the point where if my PC or any non-handheld can reasonably replicate the experience then it's a pass (Pirates was a rare exception). I'm not going to fight mediocre controls, questionable porting, or games simply not meant for a single button system (again, Pirates is a rare exception and the controls are a mix of better and worse than PC).

Like, if I could go back in time I would not buy Infinity Blade picky. If I want Punch-Out I can play that and it doesn't punish me by forcing me to play the same shit over and over again just to finally unlock another area. I would not buy any console-lite Gameloft games. I think over half the games on my iPad are board or card games that gain specific advantages from being on a tablet.

carroto

Ninjagorilla said:
So Gesundheit! is out this Thursday it seems (as is our Bumpy Road 2.0 update!). Which makes this the best release Thursday ever on App Store! Sort of.
I'm really excited to try out Gesundheit!. Hope it plays as well as it looks and sounds. The art style is amazing.

Add Final Fantasy Tactics and I'm with you.

KAL2006

Banned
OK I want to know what the best type of game is for each sport

Soccer - I got First Touch Soccer, is this the best one, how is FIFA or Pro Evo
Golf - I got Let's Golf 2, is that the best one, also what is a good Mini Golf game
Tennis
Bowling
Pool/Billiards/Snooker

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hey guys--
i'm about to be away from home for a few days and looking for a few good games.

you know what i like :p. i think i've got all the stuff i want from up to three months ago, but haven't picked up anything recently other than death rally and ascension

favish genres
-turn-based strategy esp non-animu
-board games (carc, ascension)
-wacky games esp animu

dislike
-console-like stuff, esp 3d

also looking for a scrabble-like that you can play with 3-4 locally. scrabble?

VALIS

DangerousDave said:
I can't download Gemcraft even if it's free for today. They say that the item is being modified.

Just came here to post about this. Seems to have dropped from four bucks to no bucks, but you can't download it.

edit: nm.

Link1110

AstroLad said:
If they all have iPhones, get Scrabble Tile Rack. As long as one person has the Scrable app, you can all play through BlueTooth. Works best if the Scrabble app itself is on an iPad and the rest are on iPhones.

Tf53

AstroLad said:
hey guys--
i'm about to be away from home for a few days and looking for a few good games.

you know what i like :p. i think i've got all the stuff i want from up to three months ago, but haven't picked up anything recently other than death rally and ascension

favish genres
-turn-based strategy esp non-animu
-board games (carc, ascension)
-wacky games esp animu

dislike
-console-like stuff, esp 3d

How about Carcassonne? I think you'd like it.

Utako

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
What clone would you like to see Gameloft tackle next? I'd like to see them try Metroid-vania, like a Shadow Complex clone.

That'd work pretty well.
Looking at your avatar, I'm thinking Mega Man Legends might not be bad to rip off. Who cares how horrible it is, we won't be getting anything else!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
What clone would you like to see Gameloft tackle next? I'd like to see them try Metroid-vania, like a Shadow Complex clone.

That'd work pretty well.

Shadow Complex would be great if Gameloft wants to copy it.

Tobor

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

That'd work pretty well.
Elder Scrolls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom