• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
carroto said:
They are redoing some of the graphics for the iPad version. An example from their Facebook page:

224723_10150240554609365_167831379364_8771707_1654536_n.jpg
OK, that's cool. Hopefully the entire interface has been overhauled.

I'm still worried about performance. These devices are powerful enough and most of these games should run at 60 fps (or at least a perfect 30). There is no excuse, as far as I'm concerned. I see so many games running at 15 fps as if it were OK. Those Zenonia games, for instance, look decent enough but then you play them and the framerate is so low that it completely ruins the experience.

Minsc

Gold Member
dark10x said:
OK, that's cool. Hopefully the entire interface has been overhauled.

I'm still worried about performance. These devices are powerful enough and most of these games should run at 60 fps (or at least a perfect 30). There is no excuse, as far as I'm concerned. I see so many games running at 15 fps as if it were OK. Those Zenonia games, for instance, look decent enough but then you play them and the framerate is so low that it completely ruins the experience.

They claim it doesn't have the slowdown (of the PSP or in general, not sure here. They did say it was built on the PSX build, not the PSP build though):

Is the slow-down problem solved?
-Yes! It's definitely fatser, comfortable to play.
We'll show it in the trailer or a movie clip.

And it should run great since they cut 3G support:

Supported 3GS?
-Yes! Absolutely!

3G also supported?
-No. We tried to support 3G but it was toooo slow to play the game.

Retina is supported:

Does it support the Retina display?
-Yes, of course. It looks very good.
However, please note not all the graphics has been upgraded.

And resuming is also supported:

Did you add the autosave function?
-Yes! Exactly!
If you get a phone call, the game will be automatically saved
and you can get back to the game immediately.
Honestly...it took much time to add this function. It made the dev team exhausted.

Hopefully they mean multi-tasking by that. Well there should be plenty of impressions about the UI soon after it's released (they did say they were implementing what they learned from making Song Summoner for it), and any glaring issues could always be updated down the road too!

Worst case scenario for framerate, you can probably run it on an iPhone 5 / iPad 2 to remove any slowdown still in the iPhone 4 / iPad, hopefully there's nothing too bad though.

dark10x

Alright, well consider me surprised. If it comes out and runs at 60 fps (like the original), supports the high resolution displays properly, and controls well, it could be an amazing port.

I always thought it was odd how the PSP version slowed down so heavily, though, when it could EMULATE the original at 60 fps. Considering how much more power you need for proper emulation this always seemed strange to me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
dark10x said:
I fear that, despite the length of time it took to complete, FFT is going to be a mess of a game. I doubt they will support the retina display, the framerate will likely be piss poor, and I'd imagine even the icon will be low resolution. I realize the original was low resolution, but they could at least update the menus and fonts while rendering the 3D bits in high resolution. I'd also prefer if they left the sprites unfiltered in their pixelated glory.

What makes you say this? I understand your schtick is to be GAF's biggest graphics horse but why believe that that icon will be pixellated of all things? Surely SE can get that right? And why is this such a big deal?

And on the subject of FFT, I've never played it before. What kind of game is it? Is it a bit like Advance Wars or something? If so many people are excited for it I'll check it out though.

TheDanger

Banned
I totally love LEGO Harry Potter Years 1 - 4, I lliked LEGO Batman and I am a huge HP fan so I thought why not? It was definetly worth it. iPhone 4 screens by me:

photo250711094842.png

photo250711095121.png

Actually this looks way better ingame I don't know why.
photo250711095230.png

same for this one, these are screens from movie sequences.
photo250711095244.png

photo250711095001.png

If you are a HP fan get it you won't regret.

dark10x

Jedeye Sniv said:
What makes you say this? I understand your schtick is to be GAF's biggest graphics horse but why believe that that icon will be pixellated of all things? Surely SE can get that right? And why is this such a big deal?

And on the subject of FFT, I've never played it before. What kind of game is it? Is it a bit like Advance Wars or something? If so many people are excited for it I'll check it out though.
It's kind of a joke. It really doesn't matter if the icon is low resolution, but such a thing would definitely say something about the quality of the app and the lack of attention to detail. That said, it sounds as if they are really putting together a decent port here.

Minsc

Gold Member
Jedeye Sniv said:

Here's a GT review of the PSP version, if you want to get an idea of what it's like. Probably minor spoilers and stuff, so just check out the beginning or parts of it quickly to get the gist of the gameplay.

It's sorta a little like Advance Wars I guess in the sense it is turn-based. Not too much though, no recruiting mid-battle, you have to use the forces you start the battle with to win it through the end. No splash screens of units fighting, everything is kept on the main screen. It's obviously got a fantasy theme to it, the art style is great and the story is interesting, very over-the-top politics, with plenty of high stakes to keep things interesting.

There's a main map with checkpoints, where you can start battles, which take place on a separate screen. There's a very strong RPG element, with lots of items to buy at the towns on the main map. You have classes to level, jobs to assign your members, skills, and so forth, all which allow for some really diverse strategies to use in battle. I always like to think of the genre as an unbalanced chess game on a 50x50 board, with much more interesting set pieces.

It's definitely a commitment, a good 50-100 hours depending on how much you want to complete (lots of sidequests and optional battles). If you enjoy the genre though, the time spent plotting and playing the battles flies by!

SteveWD40

dark10x said:
It's kind of a joke. It really doesn't matter if the icon is low resolution, but such a thing would definitely say something about the quality of the app and the lack of attention to detail. That said, it sounds as if they are really putting together a decent port here.

I know what you mean though, the bigger studios can be guilty of not giving a shit about the details. Monster Hunter for example has terrible menus, utter garbage, unintuitive mess menus.

Low res icons are a pet hate of mine, it's not like the whole game needs retina (it depends largley on the title) but the icon being a blurry mess is just lazy now, since the 4 has been out for over a year.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Minsc said:
Here's a GT review of the PSP version, if you want to get an idea of what it's like. Probably minor spoilers and stuff, so just check out the beginning or parts of it quickly to get the gist of the gameplay.

It's sorta a little like Advance Wars I guess in the sense it is turn-based. Not too much though, no recruiting mid-battle, you have to use the forces you start the battle with to win it through the end. No splash screens of units fighting, everything is kept on the main screen. It's obviously got a fantasy theme to it, the art style is great and the story is interesting, very over-the-top politics, with plenty of high stakes to keep things interesting.

There's a main map with checkpoints, where you can start battles, which take place on a separate screen. There's a very strong RPG element, with lots of items to buy at the towns on the main map. You have classes to level, jobs to assign your members, skills, and so forth, all which allow for some really diverse strategies to use in battle. I always like to think of the genre as an unbalanced chess game on a 50x50 board, with much more interesting set pieces.

It's definitely a commitment, a good 50-100 hours depending on how much you want to complete (lots of sidequests and optional battles). If you enjoy the genre though, the time spent plotting and playing the battles flies by!

That sounds really cool, thanks! I read the wiki page but it was very dry, it sounds fun from your description though. Perfect bus game from the sounds of it. Hype levels rising!

wilflare

does anyone have a neat way to manage the many apps in your itunes?
the whole interface lags.. and it's hard to stifle through the lists of apps i've downloaded

carroto said:
They are redoing some of the graphics for the iPad version. An example from their Facebook page:

224723_10150240554609365_167831379364_8771707_1654536_n.jpg
Didn't they say that the updated portraits were only for the iPad version? I hope that am wrong or an update comes later to include them.

Captain N

Kafel said:
I'm playing FFT on GBA right now, is this a remake ? I know it's the same as the PSP version iirc.

the GBA version was a different game. This is based on the PSP version which is a remake of the PSOne version.

So if they submitted FFT now, then how long will it take until it's greenlighted? This week? Next month?
yurinka said:
They already did a Castlevania clone for Java phones, when they were cool and were more focused in porting Ubisoft games than in ripping off games.

This game was also ported to DSiiware:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ0Bx8w5PKQ&feature=player_embedded
Yeah, I have Soul of Darkness on my DSi. But that was more of a traditional Castlevania game with linear levels.

I was thinking more in the lines of Shadow Complex and Metroid, not Castlevania or even Symphony of the Night.

Rlan said:
At MINIMUM it will be $15.99, like Final Fantasy III.
Hope it's $9.99 since the PSN version is that much.

But it could be either $12.99 like Chaos Rings or $15.99 like FFIII, like you mentioned.

Which is way to expensive for a decade old game. I still want it but these Square-Enix prices are pretty damn ridiculous, like Secret of Mana for $8 or the old FFI & II for $8 each! Crazy.

eznark

Banned
Anyone know when Jelly Wars comes out? I saw a trailer for it on some random web site but it didn't have a release date.

dark10x

Kafel said:
I'm playing FFT on GBA right now, is this a remake ? I know it's the same as the PSP version iirc.
FFT on the GBA is a completely different game. The iPhone and PSP games are both ports of the original PSX title.

Huff

Banned
Captain N said:
the GBA version was a different game. This is based on the PSP version which is a remake of the PSOne version.

Which game is better? I also started to play the GBA game recently.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
BroHuffman said:

original FFT blows GBA FFT out of the water... the story in the GBA games is straight up stupid, too

BroHuffman said:
FF Tactics War of the Lions by far. The GBA game was more like a children's book storyline, kind of Never Ending Story. It was cool on the GBA but the PSP version (the original PSOne classic) was very good with a mature storyline and falls in line more closely to the Final Fantasy setting.

I think the GBA game was more Final Fantasty in name, although some of the concepts in the game were used in FFXII like the races, characters, and names.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
BroHuffman said:
Most here will say that the original is much better than the other two, but in truth they're all great games worth playing.

Huff

Banned
Brazil said:
Most here will say that the original is much better than the other two, but in truth they're all great games worth playing.

I would still rather play the better one if the games are 50 hrs +. Don't really have the time to play both.

Wallach

BroHuffman said:
I would still rather play the better one if the games are 50 hrs +. Don't really have the time to play both.

Then wait for this port to be finished and play FFT War of the Lions. It is better in pretty much every regard.

Chopper

Is there any reason to think that this version (or iPad for that matter) will be better than the PSP version, aside from touch controls? I'm a little paranoid that the iOS versions might be a little janky.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
So apparently Grasshopper Manufacture is working on an iphone version of No More Heroes?...

http://j.mp/nW4R1A

"If you could form your own super group of game developers, who would you enlist? Mobage, popular Japanese mobile app site tackled that delicious problem by gathering a who's who of Japanese developers, dubbing them the "Super Creators".

The "Super Creators" are:

Suda 51 (Shadows of the Damned)
Keiji Inafune (Megaman)
Yuji Naka (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Yoshifumi Hashimoto (Harvest Moon series)
Noritaka Funamizu (Street Fighter series)

This group of esteemed developers will each be contributing new mobile games for smart phones. Suda 51 and Grasshopper's contribution to the team will be a mobile version of the fan favorite, No More Heroes!"

Wallach

Chopper said:
Is there any reason to think that this version (or iPad for that matter) will be better than the PSP version, aside from touch controls? I'm a little paranoid that the iOS versions might be a little janky.

Well, the port of FF3 seemed like it was better than the DS version. I suspect the same will remain true here considering the PSP port isn't really a high bar to beat.

Wallach said:
Well, the port of FF3 seemed like it was better than the DS version. I suspect the same will remain true here considering the PSP port isn't really a high bar to beat.

But iPhone is much more powerful than a DS. Is also more powerful than a PSP, but the difference is not so huge. But PSP FFT port was awful, with much more slowdown than the PSX version.

SmokyDave

Garcia Hotspur said:
So apparently Grasshopper Manufacture is working on an iphone version of No More Heroes?...

http://j.mp/nW4R1A

"If you could form your own super group of game developers, who would you enlist? Mobage, popular Japanese mobile app site tackled that delicious problem by gathering a who's who of Japanese developers, dubbing them the "Super Creators".

The "Super Creators" are:

Suda 51 (Shadows of the Damned)
Keiji Inafune (Megaman)
Yuji Naka (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Yoshifumi Hashimoto (Harvest Moon series)
Noritaka Funamizu (Street Fighter series)

This group of esteemed developers will each be contributing new mobile games for smart phones. Suda 51 and Grasshopper's contribution to the team will be a mobile version of the fan favorite, No More Heroes!"
I'm so excited, I could puke. I really hope some cool stuff comes from this.

Number45

Hoping someone can answer this here. I have Angry Birds on iPhone, I've "completed" all of the levels including those in world 15 (Mine and Dine), but for some reason worlds 16 and 17 just say "Coming Soon". Are they a part of another pack, or do I need to download an update (iTunes doesn't seem to think so).

Cheers.

Clunker

Chopper said:
Earlier Facebook Dev posts have alluded to the fact that they're fixing the pretty horrid slowdown in the PSP port of FFT. I still think that version was amazing all said and done, mostly due to the fantastic localization and new script, but man, if I tried using a Calculator it felt like my PSP was going to come apart at the seams.

If they have actually fixed the slowdown in the iOS version -- well, I was going to buy the new port anyway, but if it's without slowdown I'm going to press down on the BUY button as hard as I possibly can.

Chopper

Number45 said:
Hoping someone can answer this here. I have Angry Birds on iPhone, I've "completed" all of the levels including those in world 15 (Mine and Dine), but for some reason worlds 16 and 17 just say "Coming Soon". Are they a part of another pack, or do I need to download an update (iTunes doesn't seem to think so).

Cheers.
The game will receive an update in the future containing the new levels. You'll have to wait, or 3-star every level, in the meantime.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
tinfoilhatman said:
OMG Zombie GunShip is awesome, haven't wasted this much time on a mobile game since Angry Bird launched.

I'm hooked on it too, as I mentioned last page. I have a bunch of Zombie Gunship articles planned for IGN this week.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Chopper said:
Awesome. Could anyone elaborate?
I just bought it (FF3) after waiting months for a sale, $16 sounded crazy....but it really us a great package. The retina up-rezing looks beautiful, the controls are well done too to the point that you can play one-handed because of the screen-dynamic dpad that shows up wherever you tap. Runs full speed too. The only real thing is whether you thought FF3DS is worth it, because this is a pretty awesome port of it.

chris-013

I'm so sad... FFT doesn't work on my iPhone 3G. ; ;
I'm not sure if I want to switch to 4G with the new 4GS/5G coming out around september...

Sweet, next month FFT will be out for ipad and i can pay 30 dollars for it =/.
I want more sims for my ipad would pay mad money for a dwarf fortress on the ipad

Chopper

mattiewheels said:
I just bought it (FF3) after waiting months for a sale, $16 sounded crazy....but it really us a great package. The retina up-rezing looks beautiful, the controls are well done too to the point that you can play one-handed because of the screen-dynamic dpad that shows up wherever you tap. Runs full speed too. The only real thing is whether you thought FF3DS is worth it, because this is a pretty awesome port of it.
Is it worth purchasing if I own a DSiXL and an iPad only? I don't really want to blow it up x2 if I can play it with buttons on my fuckawesome XL.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Technosteve said:
Sweet, next month FFT will be out for ipad and i can pay 30 dollars for it =/.
I want more sims for my ipad would pay mad money for a dwarf fortress on the ipad

boner alert

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Chopper said:
Is it worth purchasing if I own a DSiXL and an iPad only? I don't really want to blow it up x2 if I can play it with buttons on my fuckawesome XL.
No, but you should buy the iPad version of FFIII instead. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom