• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dissapointed in Galaxy on Fire 2 HD performance on the iPad 3, sure they usdated it for retina, but that means little if it's not optimized. It ran much better this morning and still looked good, looks better now, but the frame rate is shit. Anyone else give this a shot yet on the 3rd gen?

I'm feeling the same way with modern combat 3, it was so smooth before the retina update but now it drops frames in fire fights, plus they bugged up the touch buttons if you try to move them and the virtual stick is broken on the left of the screen. Blah rushed updates...

Fjordson

I didn't but I might in the future to throw the guys a bone. It's really a fantastic game.
Yeah, I probably should as well. Game is amazing. I love the little skill shots you have to pull off. Actually having to place a shot or make a pass makes it feel surprisingly active for a sim game.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Had to do a double take. Thought this was Jedeye.

Compared to many, many iOS games, Spider-Man is definitely "good"

Eat on that fart, son.

I don't fall for that distinction, sorry. A game is either good or not good, I don't give a crap if you've set your mind at "lowered expectations" because we're talking iOS. There's plenty of fantastic games on the Appstore, the only barometer should be the games' quality, not the platform they're on, since we're on a gaming forum.
But hey, whatever suits you best and if you honestly can enjoy Spider Man iOS more power to you, I've got something to say only when I see it referred at as a good game.
So, can you tell me what makes it a good? Because I can go and eat noodles in oxford street if I'm hungry and no other place is open at 3AM, but that doesn't make 'em good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Had to do a double take. Thought this was Jedeye.

Compared to many, many iOS games, Spider-Man is definitely "good"

Eat on that fart, son.

haha, I'm proud of my rep in this thread :D

And Spider-Man may be good compared to many iOS games, but it's also a piece of shit compared to actual big boy games. I don't judge games based on platform, I judge all games equally. Some of the best iOS games are better than games I can play on Xbox or PC, and that's why I play them. Otherwise, I have plenty other things to be doing with my time.

And that is my (slightly kinder than usual) anti-GameLoft message for this sale season. See you next holiday, stay safe kids. And remember, if you play a GameLoft game, wear a condom otherwise you might catch digital gonorrhea and lose your objective taste in software.

:D

I don't fall for that distinction, sorry. A game is either good or not good, I don't give a crap if you've set your mind at "lowered expectations" because we're talking iOS. There's plenty of fantastic games on the Appstore, the only barometer should be the games' quality, not the platform they're on, since we're on a gaming forum.
But hey, whatever suits you best and if you honestly can enjoy Spider Man iOS more power to you, I've got something to say only when I see it referred at as a good game.
So, can you tell me what makes it a good? Because I can go and eat noodles in oxford street if I'm hungry and no other place is open at 3AM, but that doesn't make 'em good.

brofist

HBP

They are cell phone games, they are what we play at work, in front of the tv or taking a shit. They also typically cost .99cents, I think you guys are taking it a little too serious.

Ranger X

They are cell phone games, they are what we play at work, in front of the tv or taking a shit. They also typically cost .99cents, I think you guys are taking it a little too serious.

Well, don't put us all in the same bag. I'm another example of someone that doesn't think like that. I only give a damn about a game if it's good. My gaming minutes or my money is having the same value even when in smaller increments.

Lijik

Came in here because Ive been out of the iOS gaming loop for a while and I see we're talking about Spider Man.

Spider Man is a total fucking bore, beat the first level and felt like I had seen all it offered. Considering it was a Gameloft game, I probably did.
If holding a cellphone game to the basic standard of "is this thing even fun" is taking it too seriously, then fuck it call me Serious Sam.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just downloaded IB2 and the opening cinematic stuttered like crazy. Also I'm getting no sound effects.

EDIT: restart of the game worked

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Hmmm seems the Monsters Ate My Condo update works with iPad Retina graphics on the emulator but not the hardware, just displays normally. Sorry for any of those who picked it up in anticipation.

We'll get it fixed ASAP.

WoolyNinja

Hmmm seems the Monsters Ate My Condo update works with iPad Retina graphics on the emulator but not the hardware, just displays normally. Sorry for any of those who picked it up in anticipation.

We'll get it fixed ASAP.

Appreciate the very fast update!

So I'm playing Samurai Bloodshow in anticipation of Alexandria Bloodshow aaand...

I have no idea what the Buddha's you get for replaying levels do. Or the skulls for that matter. Any ideas?

yogloo

+1 for New Star Soccer

You owe it to your soul to play it.

OH GOD I HATE YOU! I SLEPT AT 5 AM LAST NIGHT BECAUSE OF YOU. NOW I'M TIRED AND CRANKY.
New Star Soccer is kairosoft games on crack which is like saying crack on crack which is obviously not good for our social life and general productivity... yet so good.

mrkgoo

Spider-man was average at best. I give it props for being a game, and being competent in that it works, but in game design, it was plain boring.

There are loads of way more interesting games on iOS.

I bought it because people said it was excellent, and decided it was pretty mediocre. Deleted it and didn't look back. I'm more or less of an iOs exclusive gamer too, and there's much better ways to spend my time and money.

That's pretty much been my experience for most game loft games.

yogloo

I'm not quite sure what Vision/Free Kicks/Technique do actually... Anyone that's further along in the game could please explain that to me? :/

Vision is one of the main attributes of a good playmaker. So with high vision, more ball goes through you. Passes and all. You dictate the play of the game.
If your free kick is highest in the team, you will be the team's free kick and penalty taker.
Technique helps in going against the wind I think.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Vision is one of the main attributes of a good playmaker. So with high vision, more ball goes through you. Passes and all. You dictate the play of the game.
If your free kick is highest in the team, you will be the team's free kick and penalty taker.
Technique helps in going against the wind I think.

Actually, I just read it in the ingame-help that I randomly found:

Technique: Better chip/bend

Vision: More teamplayers to pass to visible

Free Kick you're completly correct, however ;)

FreeMufasa

I have an iPad now!

I was wondering what are some good console/handheld experiences? I saw SFIV and Sonic and SEGA racing there, are they any good? People have been raving about Ghost Trick so i'll get that.

I have an iPad now!

I was wondering what are some good console/handheld experiences? I saw SFIV and Sonic and SEGA racing there, are they any good? People have been raving about Ghost Trick so i'll get that.

Ghost Trick and Sega Racing are good starts. World of Goo is great, as is Phoenix Weight.

Zeth

Dodonpachi Resurrection HD is fantastic! Also holy crap @ just about everything looking good on the new iPad. Wasn't expecting that. The scaling is leagues ahead of the iPhone 4 in the days of its retina switch-over.

yogloo

Actually, I just read it in the ingame-help that I randomly found:

Technique: Better chip/bend

Vision: More teamplayers to pass to visible

Free Kick you're completly correct, however ;)

Lol. Yea. Actually I figured out that vision has nothing to do with more ball getting through you. That's actually team.

nyong

Banned
Dodonpachi Resurrection HD is fantastic! Also holy crap @ just about everything looking good on the new iPad. Wasn't expecting that. The scaling is leagues ahead of the iPhone 4 in the days of its retina switch-over.

No kidding. A few games even seem to look better, although it is noticeably blurrier in others (ex. Asteroids). I'm playing through the first Chaos Rings right now and it looks pretty good for a 2010 game on the new iPad.

Aralon is so good to play on iPad, I am glad that the few attempts I had to play it on my ipod were bad because it's soooo good on a big screen.

jenkki

Neo Member
Well I probably would've bought the HD version if it was universal, but instead I cheaped out and got the iPhone one. Same goes with Draw Race 2 for that matter.

Personally I prefer to play it on the ipad for bigger buttons, I think the game is just awesome on that platform. it is of course a lot of fun and playable on iphone too

Utako

Banned
One of the really shitty things about iOS gaming is that the sites which cover it are usually staffed by 5th-rate writers.

I just had the first segment of Chaos Rings II spoiled for me by the Slide To Play review. So goddamn amateur. He just rotely describes it, detail-by-detail, for about a page! How is that in any way a review?!

Reese-015

IB2 still has the performance boost it got from iOS 5.1 after the new IB2 update on my iPhone 4 for me. Was kinda disappointed to see there were no further performance enhancements though, but still... Damn I love the IB games.

Is Modern Combat 3 actually any good? The price is of course a nobrainer, but the game weights in on just above 1GB, space i currently do not have. So, is the game worth the space?

Psy-Phi

Once you have it, it's yours forever.

Or until you delete it, and Apple removes it from the store (Voltron, and countless other titles). Or a company gets bought up by another company, and their old version of the game disappears (Drop7, Hamlet) to be replaced by another version you have to pay for again, or with ads, if you deleted the app from your iTunes library.

Has Dodonpachi Ressurection ever gotten a price drop? Wondering if I should lay down the 11 bucks for it now or just wait.

uh...the version you're talking about just came out like this week. Looking at the precedent Cave has set in the store so far, buy it now, because it's unlikely to get any cheaper for the forseeable future.

Is Modern Combat 3 actually any good? The price is of course a nobrainer, but the game weights in on just above 1GB, space i currently do not have. So, is the game worth the space?

It's good if you can handle fps games on touch devices with their virtual sticks and stuff, otherwise pass on it.

Reese-015

Not sure yet, haven't played it enough yet. It is of course a complete cheesy and dumb Modern Warfare rip-off but the presentation is somewhat slick (especially the custscenes) and I've enjoyed playing the campaign thus far quite a bit.

I've also tried out the multiplayer for ten minutes or so and look forward to trying it out more cause that too was pretty impressive and really felt like a polished modern CoD-ish multiplayer fps.

Definitely a no-brainer for the price, whether or not it's worth the space... That'll depend on your personal taste and whether or not you can get with fps touch controls.

Teknoman

Maybe, but when you've got stuff upping the bar all the time, standards raise as well.

Tendo

Anyone else pick up Moto Heroz? It is by the Trials guys, Red Lynx, and it has been a lot of fun so far. IAP to speed up leveling, but so far I haven't had any issues with feeling unable to complete levels or challenges. Really smooth graphics on the 4s as well.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Or until you delete it, and Apple removes it from the store (Voltron, and countless other titles). Or a company gets bought up by another company, and their old version of the game disappears (Drop7, Hamlet) to be replaced by another version you have to pay for again, or with ads, if you deleted the app from your iTunes library.

When Zynga re-launched Drop7 they made the ad-free version free for around a month, plus if you already had the previous version it was free as well.

No DD system is perfect, Apple's has several kinks sure, but one looses physical goods as well if one throws it away or rather, "deletes it".

@ FreeMufasa, keep a iTunes copy of your purchases for peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom