• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psy-Phi

When Zynga re-launched Drop7 they made the ad-free version free for around a month, plus if you already had the previous version it was free as well.

No DD system is perfect, Apple's has several kinks sure, but one looses physical goods as well if one throws it away or rather, "deletes it".

@ FreeMufasa, keep a iTunes copy of your purchases for peace of mind.

It's a lot more of a conscious decision to throw away something than it is for a hard drive to crash. Everyone should keep backups of everything, but there's always a chance you will lose something unless you feverishly back up everything every moment. And sometimes when you update an app without looking at it's new 'features' you might be pulling in a downgrade (Time Geeks Find All, which gave you no ads and all of the game if you still had it installed, but if you didn't and downloaded the new version, you got the free type ad version. It's now fully free I believe though, but frustrating at the time).

Drop7 was free for a week, if that, I recall. The 'free' version removed the ads if you had the previous version installed too, which was a nice gesture. But now, on a new iOS device, unless I install that first, then download Drop7 Free, I'll still have ads. And now, I couldn't even do that if I wanted if Drop7 is mysteriously gone from the store, since the version I paid for before is gone. As I use iCloud for backups and no longer connect my iOS devices to my computer for anything.

It's certainly something to keep in mind. Be vigilant with direct download purchases (and I'm not singling out Apple/iTunes, they're not the only company to do this, but that's what's relevant here in this thread).

The one that really bums me out now is Viking Lords: http://www.vikinglordsgame.com/ (I presume because of the lawsuit based on the game mechanics)

I was really looking forward to trying that one out on my new iPad. :/

That does look pretty sweet. Do devs have to pay a fee to keep the games up on the store or something? I can't understand why something would be removed without an explanation.

nyong

Banned
Modern Combat 3 is awful. It's a direct ripoff of Call of Duty that somehow manages to be even more melodramatic while taking itself completely seriously. The engine is freaking awesome, but everything else is garbage. Avoid. This is coming from someone who LIKES the occasional Gameloft title.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah that ticks me off. With all the copycat games out there, Viking Lords is the one that gets shut down. Lame.

What's really fucked up is that the company that sued Puffin (Fantasy Flight) itself did the exact same thing (in material respects, afaict) by re-releasing the old Dune board game with a new theme since they weren't able to get the license: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/684260/rex-ffg-dune-rethemed

Now maybe they got a license to the "gameplay mechanics" I dunno. Either way, smh.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That does look pretty sweet. Do devs have to pay a fee to keep the games up on the store or something? I can't understand why something would be removed without an explanation.

They got sued for having mostly the same mechanics as a board game. My guess is either they were intimidated into taking it down by the plaintiff or just their own fear of racking up damages or Apple made the call to take it down. Probably the former based on my understanding of Apple's general removal practices.

schnell

I can't change the channel soon enough when soccer comes on and I do not enjoy any of the game dev story type games. But I cannot stop playing New Star Soccer.

heringer

Modern Combat 3 is awful. It's a direct ripoff of Call of Duty that somehow manages to be even more melodramatic while taking itself completely seriously. The engine is freaking awesome, but everything else is garbage. Avoid. This is coming from someone who LIKES the occasional Gameloft title.

It's all about the multiplayer. Whoever bought this for the campaign is doing it wrong.

Reese-015

It's all about the multiplayer. Whoever bought this for the campaign is doing it wrong.

QFT.

Same with Nova 2. The campaigns are the most bland shitty by-the-numbers games you'll find, though I think I like the pacing off the action on MC3. But the multiplayer of Nova 2 is one of my favorite things on the platform and I'm very impressed with MC3's multiplayer as well, maybe it's even better.

One thing DD has taught me this gen is to make an app back up on an external hdd, I still have the original DOSbox app so could still stick windows on an ipad 3 if I felt like it lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I used to delete apps I wouldn't be using for a while and that bit me on the ass in the past (South American account/CC problems, long story and not my fault. I talked about it in the previous iOS OT, thankfully I managed to solve it by e-mailing Apple's support). So yeah, keeping backups is always the way to go with DD, particularly with apps since their size is usually so small to begin with.

bonesquad

It looks like Charadium and Charadium HD are free right now (though an in app popup reminding you of that is kind of annoying). Similar to Draw Something, but it does look like it has a few points in its favor. The full app has a bunch of colors, as opposed to Draw in which you have to unlock them still. Charadium also has a live mode where you enter a room and guess drawings as they are being done. Pretty cool.

Haven't played enough to know how it stacks up to Draw Something beyond that, but Charadium came out a couple months before Draw even. Draw Something just marketed itself better I'm guessing.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/charadium-ii/id483550450?mt=8
http://itunes.apple.com/app/charadium-ii-hd/id483544355?mt=8 (HD)

What's really fucked up is that the company that sued Puffin (Fantasy Flight) itself did the exact same thing (in material respects, afaict) by re-releasing the old Dune board game with a new theme since they weren't able to get the license: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/684260/rex-ffg-dune-rethemed

Now maybe they got a license to the "gameplay mechanics" I dunno. Either way, smh.

But Fantasy Flight licensed the mechanics from the original designer, they just couldn't get the license to Dune.

It has a decent name, for one thing. Draw Something, well, you know what you're getting with that. What the hell is "Charadium" though? If it's meant to be a play on charades it doesn't really work.

Just wanted to share some love for Companions HD. It's been a while and it's one of the older iPAD games, but it's still one of the richer strategy-based RPGs on the device. The awkward team controls have a really annoying learning curve, but once you put about an hour into it, the game rewards you with great strategic combat that relies heavily on positioning and planning. Think of it as a real-time game with the feeling of turn-based tactics. The game certainly isn't the prettiest pony in the show, but after going through countless RPGs and poor diablo clones on iOS, this remains one of the best. I encourage people looking for something a little meatier to try it out.

Hopefully Smuttlewerks does a sequel with more swipe controls, a closer camera, and more varied backgrounds.

Also, has anybody been keeping up with Dungeon Legend coming to iPad? This game, along with HEROES CALL, is starting to look REALLY enticing. Bring on the real RPGS!!

Juice

Hey, I'm poking in here for the first time in 5 months. Have I missed anything good?

Would love to learn about a good strategy or RPG title to play on my The New iPad

heringer

Not if the controls still suck.

I think it controls great. At least I'm pretty good with it.

Some people simply can't adapt to touch controls for FPS. It's ok. I can't adapt to gyro controls, therefore I think it sucks, but some people here love it. To each their own I guess.

PaulLFC

I really wish I could play New Star Soccer, no idea what the problem is :(

The dev has been really helpful on Twitter trying to sort it out, but I really don't know what's causing the problem. Quick timeline:

1. Installed NSS, had fun with Arcade mode.
2. Chose career, clicked to buy career mode. I entered my password, then got told I needed to re-enter my password and validate my billing info. Did this.
3. Got a popup along the lines of "Do you still want to buy career mode?" Pressed yes.
4. Game exited back to the home screen.
5. Every time I'd start the game, even after closing it in multitasking and re-opening it, it would quit just as it got to the main menu.
6. Tried reinstalling app. Works, but career mode was still locked.
7. Clicked to buy career mode again, was told I already had it, press OK to redownload.
8. Pressed OK, app exits immediately after pressing OK. Then the same problem of exiting as soon as the main menu starts to load.
9. Tried signing out of Game Center before loading NSS, same problems though.

Really not sure what to do, I just hope something in the next update will fix it because I really want to play, especially after reading all the positive impressions in here.

heringer

Very pleased with Sky Gamblers. The campaign is a complete afterthought, lacking production values, but the core gameplay is great, if on the arcadey side. Lots of modes to play, including Survival, Defend the base, FFA and CTF online. Honestly, the multiplayer can be a blast. Game looks good too, though not particularly impressive.

If you like Ace Combat, get it. Just don't expect a well produced campaign.

japtor

Very pleased with Sky Gamblers. The campaign is a complete afterthought, lacking production values, but the core gameplay is great, if on the arcadey side. Lots of modes to play, including Survival, Defend the base, FFA and CTF online. Honestly, the multiplayer can be a blast. Game looks good too, though not particularly impressive.

If you like Ace Combat, get it. Just don't expect a well produced campaign.
Damn that sounds like what I've been wanting for a while. I could never really get into the Ace Combat games but loved Air Combat in the arcades.

Haven't seen anybody mention it, but Space Harvest is free for today. It's a retro RTS in the style of the Dune PC games, or so I've heard. I haven't played it yet.

mzl.tnelapdh.480x480-75.jpg

Zeth

Anyone else pick up Moto Heroz? It is by the Trials guys, Red Lynx, and it has been a lot of fun so far. IAP to speed up leveling, but so far I haven't had any issues with feeling unable to complete levels or challenges. Really smooth graphics on the 4s as well.

Nice, this is one I've been looking at lately. Also looking into Sky Gamblers and Mass Effect for new iPad. Infiltrator looks like it could be a nice diversion with great graphics, same with Sky Gambler. Not sure if I should buy or hold off for the inevitable onslaught of updates/releases coming up.

Edit: bought Sky Gamblers, looks great and has great reviews on the app store. What controls are people using?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
It looks like Charadium and Charadium HD are free right now (though an in app popup reminding you of that is kind of annoying). Similar to Draw Something, but it does look like it has a few points in its favor. The full app has a bunch of colors, as opposed to Draw in which you have to unlock them still. Charadium also has a live mode where you enter a room and guess drawings as they are being done. Pretty cool.

Haven't played enough to know how it stacks up to Draw Something beyond that, but Charadium came out a couple months before Draw even. Draw Something just marketed itself better I'm guessing.

Holy crap, this game KICKS DRAW SOMETHING'S ASS. This is waaay better in every possible way. I would've gladly paid money for this game. Seriously, feature for feature this game is in every way better.

Thanks so much for posting about this. My wife and I are loooooving this game!

tranciful

Isn't Draw Something new? Charadium has been around for at least a year IIRC.

edit: ah, this is Charadium II

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
New Star Soccer needs a landscape mode on iPad, it's awkward to hold this massive thing in portrait mode, especially in bed...

Caved for Azkend 2 HD, it's great stuff, although I'm not sure if there's any skill involved, lol, it's compelling.

Got Sky Gamblers AS too, I'll probably regret it but it seems cool enough as a hardware showcase. Fun in quick bursts.

On iPad2 that is. It runs alright most of the time, the graphics are good outside some obvious ground LOD changes.

Smash Cops seems meh, I can't even reverse by putting my finger in front of the car, really?

It's a nice control method but the actual car handling leaves a lot to be desired, and having to tap enemies to ram them sucks.

WhyMe6

So when the hell is Sega going to release a new Feel the Magic/Project Rub/Rub Rabbits game for iOS? It's the perfect platform for a new game.
Looking back at the games, Feel the Magic is my favourite DS launch title and the series has only gotten better with age.

nyong

Banned
Can anyone suggest any good ipad RPG games (either turn-based or action)? Also explain why you find it to be good.

Ash II is pretty good. It's old school and super linear, but it does a few new things and the writing is excellent. Buy the gold edition and the future DLCs are free too...I don't see it leaving my iPad anytime soon. The biggest downside is the graphics which literally look like something made in one of those RPG-maker programs...however, the music is REALLY (really) good.

Teknoman

Can anyone suggest any good ipad RPG games (either turn-based or action)? Also explain why you find it to be good.

If you like JRPGs Chaos Rings 1 is pretty good ( Square Enix published, Media Vision (Wild ARMS) created I believe). Its got great graphics, quality somewhat close to high end PS1/Dreamcast, and the soundtrack is really nice.

Chaos_Rings_battle.jpg

Battles are standard turn based, but go by pretty fast, and the random encounter rate isnt frustratingly frequent. Even though i'm still early on in the game, the plot is pretty interesting.

I heard Infinity Blade is pretty good, so I still need to purchase that myself.

Utako

Banned
If you like JRPGs Chaos Rings 1 is pretty good ( Square Enix published, Media Vision (Wild ARMS) created I believe). Its got great graphics, quality somewhat close to high end PS1/Dreamcast, and the soundtrack is really nice.

Chaos_Rings_battle.jpg

Battles are standard turn based, but go by pretty fast, and the random encounter rate isnt frustratingly frequent. Even though i'm still early on in the game, the plot is pretty interesting.

I heard Infinity Blade is pretty good, so I still need to purchase that myself.

Infinity Blade is not an RPG. It's Punch-Out with upgrades.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
And a game can't be high end PS1 and Dreamcast quality at the same time considering the vast gap between them >_>

The Square ports are decent. Other than that... not really, no. People will recommend Aralon, but honestly you're better off playing Gothic or Risen or Morrowind or Oblivion or or or. People will recommend The Quest but you're better off playing the 20-year old World of Xeen, which I think is just as cheap as The Quest after the DLC (plus on GoG you get 4 other games to boot).

If you have to play western-style RPGs on your iPad then try Aralon but it's basically a case study in lowered standards when there aren't any other options. Same with Chaos Rings, which would be a bargain-bin PS2 jRPG.

The one that really bums me out now is Viking Lords: http://www.vikinglordsgame.com/ (I presume because of the lawsuit based on the game mechanics)

I was really looking forward to trying that one out on my new iPad. :/

Um, does Apple issue refunds when this happens? I wiped my iPad without saving anything because I wanted to do a clean install of everything when I got my iPadHD and it's not showing up in my purchased apps list.

Utako

Banned
And a game can't be high end PS1 and Dreamcast quality at the same time considering the vast gap between them >_>
I see what he's saying, though. The texture detail is low (like any PS1 game), but the texture resolution and poly counts are more like DC.

Then the pre-rendered backgrounds look just like a high-res PS1 FF.

FatalT

Banned
The Square ports are decent. Other than that... not really, no. People will recommend Aralon, but honestly you're better off playing Gothic or Risen or Morrowind or Oblivion or or or. People will recommend The Quest but you're better off playing the 20-year old World of Xeen, which I think is just as cheap as The Quest after the DLC (plus on GoG you get 4 other games to boot).

If you have to play western-style RPGs on your iPad then try Aralon but it's basically a case study in lowered standards when there aren't any other options. Same with Chaos Rings, which would be a bargain-bin PS2 jRPG.

These are all fantastic suggestions however you're not answering the question being asked. We're looking for iPad and iPhone games in this iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming thread, not PC or console games.

soldat7

apart from the menu graphics the ipod version looks great in 2x mode, I presume the HD version looks good enough as it is?

Despite how well the new iPad upscales, it's still preferable to run at the full native res. The devs of the most successful iOS game of all time better get their butts in gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom