• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been playing Undercroft for the last hour and it's pretty awesome. Any other Eye of the Beholder like games on iOS? Preferably with deeper skill/battle system.

Anyone?

And to chime in on the Universal discussion:

I'm neither developer nor publisher so I have no idea about the business side of things. I can only go by what Mario and Jackson have said in this very thread and how stuff under the download limit does better. I totally get that. It's a valid excuse if you can keep the size under the limit by splitting the versions.

However, if your app is well over 20/50MB like Battleloot Adventures (~150MB) it looks like a idiotic cashgrab. I doubt anybody will both versions anyway so what is stopping you from making it universal?

Square Enix is the biggest offender in this regard. I know, dat production values but if your games cost more than 90+% of the stuff on iOS I better get all the bells and whistles.

Does anyone know any other good asynchronous games like Hero Academy, Words With Friends, ...

I'm really loving Hero Academy.

Actually, I could use any recommendation for iOS games, there's just too many of them. I've checked the best of thread as well.

Captain N

Does anyone know any other good asynchronous games like Hero Academy, Words With Friends, ...

Actually, I could use any recommendation for iOS games, there's just too many of them. I've checked the best of thread as well.

Draw Something!

Gowans

Draw something is great

Words with friends
Scramble with friends

I still haven't bite the bullet on Carcassone, catan, ticket to ride etc. I think I need to.

Also I would get the XBLA version on Magic The Gahering in a heart beat if it came out on here.

Anyone?

I'm neither developer nor publisher so I have no idea about the business side of things. I can only go by what Mario and Jackson have said in this very thread and how stuff under the download limit does better. I totally get that. It's a valid excuse if you can keep the size under the limit by splitting the versions.

However, if your app is well over 20/50MB like Battleloot Adventures (~150MB) it looks like a idiotic cashgrab. I doubt anybody will both versions anyway so what is stopping you from making it universal?

Square Enix is the biggest offender in this regard. I know, dat production values but if your games cost more than 90+% of the stuff on iOS I better get all the bells and whistles.

I end up not buying either. Especially since these apps are well above the 50MB limit.

NekoFever

UniWar is decent. It's basically Advance Wars.

Slacker

I still haven't bite the bullet on Carcassone, catan, ticket to ride etc. I think I need to.

Also I would get the XBLA version on Magic The Gahering in a heart beat if it came out on here.

Catan is all right, but no online multiplayer. Wait for a sale.

Get Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride without delay, though. If those two games were 50 bucks each I still would have gotten my money's worth as many times as I've played them.

Azriell

I love Catan to death, but then again I prefer playing vs CPU a lot of the time even when online MP is available. Catan is one of the few iOS games that I've never deleted, even when I was on my old 8gb iPod and space was constantly an issue. For me, it's one of those "one more turn" games that just keeps going and going, until the game finally ends.

Outside of the drawing app what good take-turn games over the internet are worth looking at? I feel like playing them now that I own an ipad, was not interested in them on my touch.

Okay, I asked earlier about some old-school RPGs and since nobody was able to answer my question or overlooked it I did some research on my own and found The Quest

Any recommendations or should I stay away?

Pastry

Banned
Outside of the drawing app what good take-turn games over the internet are worth looking at? I feel like playing them now that I own an ipad, was not interested in them on my touch.

Hero Academy is my favorite iOS game and is a blast asynchronously. It does have a bit of a leaning curve (three teams are out right now and a fourth on the way) but once you get the hang of it you won't be able to put it down.

edit: It is currently iPhone only but the iPhone app looks okay on the ipad. It will be universal with the next update.

I got the iPad 3 and I was playing Modern Combat 3 on it, it looks decent but playing an FPS with touch controls is just so frustrating

What are the best iPad only games?

I got the iPad 3 and I was playing Modern Combat 3 on it, it looks decent but playing an FPS with touch controls is just so frustrating

Spacechem and Machinarium are two I've been waiting to play on the iPad. I also have bought Sid Meier's Pirates! which I loved playing on PC back in the day. Osmos should be amazing on the iPad as well.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
So very much over Scramble With Friends and Words With Friends.

I'll try Draw Something and Hero Academy next!

Pastry

Banned

Incoboto is one of the best iOS games period, you should really check it out. It's kind of a combo of Super Mario Galaxy, Portal and Sword & Sworcery.

SpaceChem and Machinarium are two I've been waiting to play on the iPad. I also have bought Sid Meier's Pirates! which I loved playing on PC back in the day. Osmos should be amazing on the iPad as well.

I can't recommend SpaceChem enough. I haven't played the iPad version, but it seems like it would be a natural fit. It's a fantastic game - just don't be fooled into thinking it's a "puzzle" game; it's really a "spatial programming" game. If that intrigues you, definitely check it out.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lol.
mzl.abfsaemq.480x480-75.jpg

Didn't think a racing game of all things would steal that sort of shit.

Zeth

Draw race 2 is fantastic, tired the first for a little bit, thought it was ok but this one is so good!!!

One of my all-time favorite iOS games. Would love another sequel or big update, because I've done everything possible outside of topping the leaderboards.

Disc Drivin'

Also, Wordfeud is better than Words with Friends for many reasons, chief among them it's nothing to do with Zynga. It also has a better dictionary, and no IAPs that are only there to let your opponent cheat. Words with Friends is total shit these days.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Okay, I asked earlier about some old-school RPGs and since nobody was able to answer my question or overlooked it I did some research on my own and found The Quest

Interested in this as well, especially how it compares to Undercroft, since The Quest is 7.99 with expansions and Undercroft is... well, free.

PaulLFC

For anyone who's downloaded any of the "free" Gameloft games, just be aware that Gameloft are sneaky. When you get the popup asking if you want to allow notifications, and you press no, the games will carry on sending you them anyway. You have to go into Settings -> Notifications and disable them for each game from there. Apparently Gameloft thought it was critically important that you should recieve notifications like "YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED A MATCH TODAY!!! PLAY NOW!!" every day.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Interested in this as well, especially how it compares to Undercroft, since The Quest is 7.99 with expansions and Undercroft is... well, free.
Like Undercroft it's an old pocket pc game, maybe you can find reviews of those versions a bit easier?

mrkgoo

Anyone?

Just for a second, let's say there's an app that is not universal and each version costs $1.99. Would you buy the universal for $3.99? Many would say sure, myself included, but what about the people who only want one version? They don't want the huge size of the retina iPad version, and don't need to pay for that privilege.

On top of that, the iPad version is typically more expensive anyway.

That said, I'm semi in favour of having an iPhone version and a separate universal version at a higher cost.

Just for a second, let's say there's an app that is not universal and each version costs $1.99. Would you buy the universal for $3.99? Many would say sure, myself included, but what about the people who only want one version? They don't want the huge size of the retina iPad version, and don't need to pay for that privilege.

That said, I'm semi in favour of having an iPhone version and a separate universal version at a higher cost.

No argument on there being an iPhone version alongside a Universal version - as long as both are released at the same time, everyone wins. Releasing an iPhone version first then releasing an iPad-only version months later is a dick move IMO.

I can't recommend SpaceChem enough. I haven't played the iPad version, but it seems like it would be a natural fit. It's a fantastic game - just don't be fooled into thinking it's a "puzzle" game; it's really a "spatial programming" game. If that intrigues you, definitely check it out.

I've asked before but has anyone actually played Spacechem on both iPad and PC? I love it on PC but can't help but think that the control limitations (no keyboard shortcuts) on the iPad will make later puzzles intensely tiresome.

What I played of it was mediocre. Better than Undercroft (although it seemed slow on my 3GS, dunno if it's better on a more recent phone), but keep in mind that I thought the first hour or so of Undercroft was fun until it turned hyper-repetitive.

I strongly suggest you gravitate towards ports of old console RPGs, as they are the least impacted by reduced budgets and designed for minimal buttons. Alternatively, give Pirates! a shot (although not if you have the OG iPad, it ran kinda poorly on that); the PC version was designed to be played almost entirely with the NUMpad and the iOS version improves on some things (some things are worse but it's pretty even overall).

epmode

I've asked before but has anyone actually played Spacechem on both iPad and PC? I love it on PC but can't help but think that the control limitations (no keyboard shortcuts) on the iPad will make later puzzles intensely tiresome..
I have, but I haven't gotten to later puzzles.

While you're right that the iPad doesn't have shortcuts for most of the functionality, there is a quick-arrow feature. Hold down the quick arrow button with one hand, trace a path and arrows are generated automatically. It's not as quick as the PC version, obviously, but I can't see it being significantly worse.

It depends on the game really. To give you an actual example: Sword & Sworcery comes in a iPhone and a Universal version. I didn't own an iPad (yet) but I still bought the Universal app for 4.99$ instead of the Micro app for 2.99$.

In a perfect world for me there would be only universal apps which cost the same as a theoretical iPhone/iPad-only version. That's apparently not possible for every game and for various reasons so I think the best way for those games would be an iPhone-only version and a slightly more expensive universal version.

Edit: reading and writing on a phone is a pain. I basically paraphrased what you said :lol

Alright I think I'm done with Pocket Academy. It’s rare for me to give up on a game but I am at the point where I feel I am just wasting my time. I really don't think this is one of Kairosoft's best efforts.

I have a school that fills 90% of the map, 6 full classrooms, Top tier teachers with almost max stats, multiple "pop" spots and have students that graduate with perfect 500 stats.

Yet year after year my schools ranking barley moves. I am still some distance away from the number 1 school and over the past few years have made no progress. Sometimes it goes up others down and has stayed pretty flat regardless of what I try to do. My school has better facilities, teachers, and is subjected to more Special Classes year after year with no change.

I think that's my overall gripe with this game: I have no idea what I'm doing. I have no idea what affects what in what ways. I'm not having much fun because I feel like I have no control over what’s happening in this simulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom