• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEREC

The update broke Pinball Arcade for iPad 3. Let's see if I can successfully upload a screen..
1RluJ.jpg

Thats odd...thats what my menus looked like before the most recent update that fixed the game on the iPad 3.

Neo Child

Banned
Whats GoF2 Supernova? I have GoF2 HD... thought it was a crappy version of Freelancer (no real free-roaming, random ships, alliances, good voice acting/gripping story etc).

Speaking of poor imitations, just bought starfront collision. anyone want to play me? 40 unit limit sucks.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Whats GoF2 Supernova? I have GoF2 HD... thought it was a crappy version of Freelancer (no real free-roaming, random ships, alliances, good voice acting/gripping story etc).

Speaking of poor imitations, just bought starfront collision. anyone want to play me? 40 unit limit sucks.
It is the next expansion, larger in scope than standard GoF2 and Valkyrie combined.

Minsc

Gold Member
I think the user interface has been shit from the beginning if I can remember correctly. Not a bug, just poor design.

They said they'll be implementing something nicer after the number of tables grows. Even just a grid layout of icons which can be arranged over a couple screens like the iOS UI itself would be nicer. They did improve the selection a lot for me in the first or second patch simply by changing the tap/swipe to switch tables one at a time to swipe to scroll tables as many at a time as you want.

downloaded it but totally don't get how to play lol

looks like an awesome game

what engine is it?

No idea, but the old Elite code is open (and there has been some homebrew ports of the game), so probably is based on that code. So, probably is more a unofficial port than a clone.

Heel

I have a code for Draw Something to give away. It's today's free app from Free App Daily but I already own it and qualified for a code, haha.

To win, be the first person to quote this post with a drawing of the NeoGAF logo. U.S. only I think?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Finally got all 92 achievements in GoF2 and my new ship wewt!

I didn't realize there was such a graphical disparity between the regular GoF edition and its HD counterpart hehe (iPad 3 screens).
GoF2
ib2pQIaoPjFSbP.jpg

GoF2 HD
iv2ib1tLifRrl.jpg

I have a question for those who have played Puzzlejuice, does the color of the pieces matter when forming lines? I don't remember seeing that in the tutorial, but I probably skipped it accidentaly or something.

And does anybody know games similar to Extraction: Project Outbreak? My father and I love that game.
Edit: Is Lock 'n' Load (Chillingo) good? It looks similar to Extraction but idk...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Finally got all 92 achievements in GoF2 and my new ship wewt!

I didn't realize there was such a graphical disparity between the regular GoF edition and its HD counterpart hehe (iPad 3 screens).

Oh wow that's a MASSIVE difference, I really have to play the game again one day... backlogged :(

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What kind of game is GoF2? I've been tempted to buy it, but I don't now what I'm getting into.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Go for non HD if you want smooth performance.

Go for neither if you want good games.
HD runs fine on the new iPad for me, even more so if you disable the retina resolution. The difference in resolution is barely noticeable while playing.
What kind of game is GoF2? I've been tempted to buy it, but I don't now what I'm getting into.
Freelancer Lite is a pretty apt description although I found it pretty fun overall. It's an open world with a story, side missions etc. Currently with one expansion (Valkyrie) and another coming in August.

There's a Lite version of the regular game out as well.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/galaxy-on-fire-2-lite/id406145701?mt=8

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Right, I forgot, speaking as iPad2 owner. Stutters and hitches were pretty evident in the HD version. Similar to the Infinity Blade games (which other people also claim run 100% smooth on comparable systems, lol no), but much more obvious due to the nature of the game. Reducing some of the graphical options made little to no difference in performance too (I don't think it had anything related to resolution on iPad2, lowering the settings disabled fog effects and stuff iirc). Anyway, I didn't even think Freelancer was all that great to begin with, as it was quite repetitive and flawed, a watered down rip off didn't do anything for me. I guess if you absolutely loved Freelancer (outside the co-op aspect at least) this might work on some level for you. Maybe.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Cheers, consider it skipped.

What? I have no problems with the framerate AT ALL and it looks simply amazing on my 4S, I don't know what he's talking about. Don't let that hinder you from buying it, it's a fun game and has been on sale before if the price is the problem. It'll probably be on sale again once the next expansion hits.

dream

Generally speaking, one should always get a second opinion instead of just relying on Alextended's opinion of iOS games.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Right, I forgot, speaking as iPad2 owner. Stutters and hitches were pretty evident in the HD version. Similar to the Infinity Blade games (which other people also claim run 100% smooth on comparable systems, lol no), but much more obvious due to the nature of the game. Reducing some of the graphical options made little to no difference in performance too (I don't think it had anything related to resolution on iPad2, lowering the settings disabled fog effects and stuff iirc). Anyway, I didn't even think Freelancer was all that great to begin with, as it was quite repetitive and flawed, a watered down rip off didn't do anything for me. I guess if you absolutely loved Freelancer (outside the co-op aspect at least) this might work on some level for you. Maybe.

It's run smooth on my iPhone 4, my 4S and my new iPad, not sure what you've done with your iPad 2 to not be able to run it properly as IIRC it's comparable in performance to the iPhone.

I'd say try the Lite version Gowans007 and see if the game is anything you'd be interested in.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's run smooth on my iPhone 4, my 4S and my new iPad, not sure what you've done with your iPad 2 to not be able to run it properly as IIRC it's comparable in performance to the iPhone.
I tried to eat it, obviously, so now it runs a bit slower than other people's. Sadface. And the game's graphics settings are there just for laughs, or leftovers from other versions, on iOS it runs super smoothly on all compatible devices, no problem.

Also, its own developers don't recommend the HD version for anything other than 4S and iPad2/newPad devices, so your 4 must be on roids. That, or you're just not as sensitive to frame rate flunctuations, stutters, and the like. It happens...
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS said:
HD is optimized for iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and the new iPad and we’d recommend buying the SD game for a previous device.
PS: HD version on iPad2 also has way too much shimmering and stuff with the aliasing on the extra details, SD looks cleaner imo.

But yep, do try the demo thingie.

Oh my. So i drunk purchased Epic Astro Story last night thinking i would pass out at some point in the beginning (and i somehow thought i can overcome the power of Kairocrack)...

I ended up playing through a hangover and the sunrise. brb gonnaplayMoar

Neo Child

Banned
I really like GoF2, but I loved Freelancer so...

Freelancer ranks up there as one of my favourite games of all times, and I'm not a big Sci-Fi/Space game kinda guy.

I just think GoF2 rips out everything that made Freelancer so great - the good storyline, the characters, the voice overs of random ships searching for contraband, the fact it kind of felt like GTA in space - it felt space was alive and populated. GoF2 seems empty in comparison

Manax

Finally picked up gunman Clive and its an absolute delight to play

Made by a fellow gaffer have another look if previous mentions didn't get you interested

It's a very good megamanesque Platformer with controls that do a great job

SmokyDave

I have binged on Power Of Coin this weekend. Binged. I can't imagine how many hours I've put into it now. I'm level 200 with all bonus ranks and 5500 coins. I think I've crossed the line to generating more coins than I can spend now. Still playing it.

I bought Forza 4 yesterday and left it in the box while I played 3 solid hours of Power Of Coin. I didn't bother downloading the Diablo 3 beta because I knew I wouldn't play it. This stupid coin throwing game truly has its hooks in me. Haven't even touched Crow yet, damnit.

one_kill

Can anyone recommend me good "creation" games for a seven year old boy? Like something that involves building or customizing.

My little brother has been playing the lite version of Minecraft and is enjoying it, but the price of the full version is a little steep for me.

SmokyDave

Can anyone recommend me good "creation" games for a seven year old boy? Like something that involves building or customizing.

My little brother has been playing the lite version of Minecraft and is enjoying it, but the price of the full version is a little steep for me.

Eden is possibly what you're looking for. It's cheap, easy to use and has received massive updates along the way so it's now quite awesome. You can also download (and destroy) the levels of others.

PaulLFC

This is a little off topic but still related to iOS - are there any other free and interesting iPad magazines/newspapers besides Engadget Distro? I'm primarily interested in games and/or tech magazines, but I'll try most topics if they're free and intersting to read.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is anyone recently getting prompted to add security questions to their Apple ID when trying to buy something? I am, and out of the five premade questions they ask (of which you must answer three), I only know the answer to one.

Is there a way to bypass this, or ask my own questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom