• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utako

Banned
If you didn't break down after a while and get Ghost Trick on DS, do not hesitate. Buy this minute one.

(disclaimer: one particular plot twist may piss you off)

It took me 150+ days to complete it, but I did grind/exploit some of the sections. I suck at fruit machines, so I treated it as 'random' rather than trying to stop the reels on specific options.

Do you think you'd play it again?

I would totally play it again, I really like the game mechanic. I want to see if I can beat it faster too. I played through it before that at 200+ days, the process of finding which combo of bonuses and weapons go best together is intriguing to me.

I recently unfriended some people on Gamecenter. Not to get me higher up on the leaderboards but because they were clearly cheating. Do others tend to do that, or do you just don't care?

I would totally unfriendly a cheater, cheating is dumb it ruins the whole GC experience for me, that is why I only shoot for my GAF friends high scores.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not sure if Alchemy was a hit here or not, but damn, my coworkers and I have been having a blast seeing what we can create.

It's getting kinda competitive.

Holy (beep) Ghost Trick, I am suddenly committed to double-dip

It should stand to reason the graphics should be a lot better on iOS than the original DS game, but how's the music and sound? Guess I'll find out tonight (tomorrow?).

Ninja Dom

Speaking of fruit machines, anybody know what the best Fruit Machine simulators are on iOS??

I'm looking for something that plays much like the machines you get in UK bars/pubs so I can use my new "skillz" to make real money.

I remember that in Japan you used to get real licenced Pachinko/Gambling Machine ports on PS2. Salary-men would buy these, practice at home then play the real versions to win big money.

This is what I'm looking for!! Fruit Machine style!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Is Ghost Trick out for everyone on here? Or just NZ? Because it's not in the German App Store. And that dude said "12AM for Europe".

Maybe they don't want to release it unlocalized here? That would make me sad.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Is Ghost Trick out for everyone on here? Or just NZ? Because it's not in the German App Store. And that dude said "12AM for Europe".

Maybe they don't want to release it unlocalized here? That would make me sad.
Only in the NZ store for now.

Looking at what's coming out tonight and I have my eyes set on a few games:

Awesome Land
Off The Leash
Reckless Racing 2
Ghost Trick

Hoping for Darius Burst to come out as well but I'll be patient.

plc268

I'm not sure whether I would pick this up at $10 on the iPad without trying it out first, but with the first couple of levels as a demo (and a test of whether my iPad 1 copes) I think it's fine. It's just a shame that IAP is the only tidy way to do it.

Do you think the 'lite' version is better?

I think a lite version is better, but at the same time Apple should be more upfront about IAPs on their store page. As it is, it's kind of hidden and not obvious.

I just wish it was set up more like XBLA, in the way that you can download a demo and unlock it there. It's essentially the same thing as unlocking a game via IAP, but you can also buy the full game outright, or try it then buy it. A small minor tweak would go a long way, IMO.

GeekyDad

Ah well then, you are fucked :D Nothing much we can do to aleviate this condition.

LOL

It's not a condition. It's merely a sound, savvy shopping philosophy. The beauty is, the App Store is so vast with content, folks like myself can cast a big net and still come up with more bounty than time and money will allow me to enjoy.

Pastry

Banned
Are IAP tied to the device or that instance of the app? If I were to purchase the Ghost Trick IAP, delete the app and then reinstall would I still have the IAP? Confused.

dream

Are IAP tied to the device or that instance of the app? If I were to purchase the Ghost Trick IAP, delete the app and then reinstall would I still have the IAP? Confused.

It's tied to your Apple ID. You'll have the IAP on any device you use your Apple ID on.

edit: to be clear, say you buy Ghost Trick tonight on your iPhone, then buy next month's iPad, you'll still be able to use your IAP on it even though it's a new device and a new install.

Pastry

Banned
It's tied to your Apple ID. You'll have the IAP on any device you use your Apple ID on.

edit: to be clear, say you buy Ghost Trick tonight on your iPhone, then buy next month's iPad, you'll still be able to use your IAP on it even though it's a new device and a new install.

Great! That is one thing I have never been clear on and it doesn't help that I avoid IAP anyway.

Wow, can't believe Ghost Trick is finally out. That's a definite buy. Funny how I just got rid of the DS game to clear out things and then it gets put on there, haha. Doesn't seem like Darius Burst is coming this week so this easily makes up for that disappointment.

GeekyDad

Okay, I think Candy Ninja-Cat is my new favorite endless runner. It's kinda Jetpack Joyride meets Tiny Wings, but with a cool, little swing mechanic. Plus, it has a Totoro power-up, so it's insta-win.

Okay, I think Candy Ninja-Cat is my new favorite endless runner. It's kinda Jetpack Joyride meets Tiny Wings, but with a cool, little swing mechanic. Plus, it has a Totoro power-up, so it's insta-win.
I love both of those games and the price is right so I'll be checking it out, but even those who don't love the genre simply have to see the Engrish in the iTunes listing.
+ Explosive clearance game with unique operation modal.

+ You can play the game with one finger. It's easy to play but hard to be proficient with. The game in which you can feel moves is unique among all games of relaxing type. And it will bring players different super experience. 

+ Barriers are crossed through suction of toilet plug. You can only experience of these endless thrills when you play the game.

+ There are five dream scenes in which makes you feel lovely, romantic and relaxing.

+ Breathtaking images of cat with more than 10 ornaments create Ninja Cats of unique personality.

+ Seven props including transformation, bamboo dragonfly, magnet, effects of sightless eye, and whirling sword are spotlights for the game.

+ More than thirty well-designed cards of different styles are available, and you may find familiar faces out of them

+ Variety of expressions of Ninja Cat are waiting for you to develop in the game.

+ Candy can be collected along the way, and changed into cat coin for consumption in malls and props upgrading. And it provides safeguard for challenging higher score.

+ Global on-line rank list is available. You can compete with players of Ninja Cat around the world, and share your score in Sina or Tencent Microblog.

+ IOS elite game team spent three months of great efforts into developing Ninja Cat. And you are sincerely invited to play the game.

Kuran

Banned

Looks like China's latest horrible rip-off game wanting to cash in using sleazy IAP tactics.

Oh it's free? Guess I'll try it. :(

I've actually had that since it was released and finally got around to playing it last night. I had fun with the hookshot mechanic but other than that it was too basic and easy.

Flunkie

Banned
So from all the fapping over Ghost Trick, I assume the DS version was good? Is it an Ace Attorney-type game, or in the similar vein? I haven't played my DS since the first Layton.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So from all the fapping over Ghost Trick, I assume the DS version was good? Is it an Ace Attorney-type game, or in the similar vein? I haven't played my DS since the first Layton.

It's a good point and click-ish puzzle game. Definitely recommended. I didn't finish it so I'll probably get the iOS version (I don't like that IAP unlock though...I just hate IAP in general)

RedSwirl

What the fuck Capcom?!

I bought the DS version a while ago for $15 but haven't touched it. Stick with DS? Get iOS version? Trade in DS version?

What the fuck Capcom?!

I bought the DS version a while ago for $15 but haven't touched it. Stick with DS? Get iOS version? Trade in DS version?

Judging from the trailers I'd say get the iOS version. The graphics are a lot crispier and the animations look a lot more fluid. The interface should work fine with a touch device as well.

Milla

Neo Member
Triple Town is dangerously addictive and utterly charming. I also grabbed Yeti Town, but though the graphics are flashier and the gameplay is pretty much identical I preferred Triple Town. I think that despite being able to comfortably play for free I might buy the unlimited turns thing, just to pat the developer on the back. Great effort.

Warning: Do not start playing just before bed. A very seedy, dopey morning will be the outcome.

Triple Town is dangerously addictive and utterly charming. I also grabbed Yeti Town, but though the graphics are flashier and the gameplay is pretty much identical I preferred Triple Town. I think that despite being able to comfortably play for free I might buy the unlimited turns thing, just to pat the developer on the back. Great effort.

Warning: Do not start playing just before bed. A very seedy, dopey morning will be the outcome.

Haha, same thing happening to me. I tell myself I'll play for ten minutes and before I know it an hour passes. I ended up buying the unlimited turns since it's currently on sale. Incredibly addictive.

Zeth

GHOST TRICK WTF

Also Triple Town, so hopelessly addicted. Think my score is around 240k (no IAP besides unlimited turn unlock) When I look at the leaderboard my mind is boggled. Going to DL Yeti Town now.

Is "Blot" as good as TA's 4.5 star review makes it out to be? So tonight it's gonna be:

Real Racing 2
Ghost Trick
What else should I check out?

Fusebox

Banned
Yep, just saw it after I loaded it up. It looks glorious on the iPad btw, $10 is a bargain. Definitive version confirmed.

This is such bizarre logic though. Do XBLA games feel sleazy to you too? Because it's the exact same model.

Free + IAP unlock is a great way to sell a big expensive game like this, I really can't fathom why people are so uptight about it. It's better this than to spend $10 on a gmae to find out you don't like it, surely?

XBLA games don't bury the price of the game within the game itself and the App Store has a long history of devs/pubs doing whatever they can to game the top 20 list. It's more the fault of Apple but until they finally improve the store devs will have to deal with some people finding the method unsavory, because what pops up when you search for a game built like that is "FREE", not "DEMO+IAP". Doubly so if they charge for the "demo" like JSRSSS did initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom