• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeth

Reckless Racing 2 is amazing. Tons of upgrades. Cars get much faster now. (especially after PI 370ish)

I'm really enjoying it using the half wheel + chase cam. Physics are just as great as ever. Luckily the tracks seem to be designed with the much faster cars in mind.

Also IAP is almost burried. It's neither intrusive nor necessary, the way it should be.

edit: Reckless, not Real.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Real Racing 2 is amazing. Tons of upgrades. Cars get much faster now. (especially after PI 370ish)

I'm really enjoying it using the half wheel + chase cam. Physics are just as great as ever. Luckily the tracks seem to be designed with the much faster cars in mind.

Also IAP is almost burried. It's neither intrusive nor necessary, the way it should be.

Yup, RR2 is REALLY great. Huge incentive to keep playing, too (versus RR1, which was more just play because it was awesome).

One question...Are you playing with "smart" AI? I was at first, but I'm finding the curve is pretty intense. First place on the one race I did was almost 1/3 of the course ahead of me when I finished.

Zeth

Yup, RR2 is REALLY great. Huge incentive to keep playing, too (versus RR1, which was more just play because it was awesome).

One question...Are you playing with "smart" AI? I was at first, but I'm finding the curve is pretty intense. First place on the one race I did was almost 1/3 of the course ahead of me when I finished.

Absolutely. Some upgrades effect the appearance of your car. You can paint cars, buy rims. Multiple modes on top of what appears to be a pretty chunky career.

I tried the dynamic difficulty but it ramps up pretty fast and I don't like coming in 3rd through my whole career, so I ended up settling around 65-70%. I can usually come in first after a battle, but one mistake usually means 3rd or worse.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Real Racing 2 is amazing. Tons of upgrades. Cars get much faster now. (especially after PI 370ish)

real racing 2 or reckless racing 2?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Shieet, I'm already down to 1.7 GB free on my 32GB iPhone. Wish I could just back up my Infinity Blade 2 save and delete the game.

If u jailbreak ur phone there a free app to backup ur saves. I just tested it myself with Don't Run with a Plasma Sword and after deleting the app and reinstalling my data was gone but I just restored from backup and my datas back again.

Also thanks to Psy-Phi for mentioning it since data deposit has definitely made having a 16GB so much easier to manage.

attractivetb

Neo Member
Some initial thoughts on Awesome Land...

Played through the first 2 worlds...definite Mario clone (duh). Controls reasonably well with left right and jump buttons, (I'm convinced this is the way all platformers need to be controlled on iOS - no up and down on the d-pad). The problem I'm having is that the level design is pretty dull. Maybe I've been spoiled by actual Mario games, but I would say that original SMB had significantly better levels and it's 25 years old.

I think I'll play through it, but your platforming dollars are better spent on Mos Speedrun or Pizza Boy.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So Infinity Blade 2 doesn't use iCloud to backup saves?

It does but I believe deleting apps locally on the iPhone deletes the iCloud app data too, unless I'm wrong.

I don't plan to jailbreak my phone....though I really should. I'm just afraid it'll make my phone prone to errors and well...I find my phone kinda important

It does but I believe deleting apps locally on the iPhone deletes the iCloud app data too, unless I'm wrong.

I don't plan to jailbreak my phone....though I really should. I'm just afraid it'll make my phone prone to errors and well...I find my phone kinda important
I jailbroke earlier this week so that I could tether my phone for free and use my data the way I see fit...within reason, of course, so as not to alarm AT&T :p

As long as you don't install random crap from non-reputable, non-Cydia based third-party package lists, your phone should run as smoothly and as reliably as when it wasn't jailbroken.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I jailbroke earlier this week so that I could tether my phone for free and use my data the way I see fit...within reason, of course, so as not to alarm AT&T :p

As long as you don't install random crap from non-reputable, non-Cydia based third-party package lists, your phone should run as smoothly and as reliably as when it wasn't jailbroken.

What would happen if a new iOS version comes out? Would I be able to update or do I have to play the waiting game?

What would happen if a new iOS version comes out? Would I be able to update or do I have to play the waiting game?
Waiting game unfortunately - updating restores the phone back to factory firmware settings. An untethered 4S jailbreak just came out two weeks ago, so the hacker scene isn't as speedy as, say, Dark Alex was during the height of the PSP hacking saga.

Nelo Ice

Banned
iTunes Gift Cards are 20% off at best buy again.

Just ordered a $50 myself since I got rid of my B&N GC and had a $5 off coupon from my back ordered dead space.

ultrazilla

Spice Invaders will probably be my new TD addiction. Soooo good.

Agreed. I'm a TD junky and this is really solid. Great interface, smooth controls,
tons of tower upgrades, enemies and FREE!

Elf Defense is getting good reviews as well. I'll be grabbing that shortly.

snack

Anyone have a pic of the NES controller that connects to the iPhone 4? It's just artwork but it looked so awesome. Trying to show it to a friend.

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
Gorilla Gondola has just come out on the UK app store. Looks gorgeous.
Finally a game that makes good use of the tilt. I can see it taking quite a while to master the controls to build good combos.

alpine.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Shieet, I'm already down to 1.7 GB free on my 32GB iPhone. Wish I could just back up my Infinity Blade 2 save and delete the game.

Just go the iExplorer way and backup the save data, it's not the most elegant solution but it works and you don't have to jailbreak.

Pachimari

Seriously, it feels like I got all games on the platform. I spent a whole lot of money on apps last Christmas. I got all the top-tier games on the dashboard and I haven't even touched them yet.. This is not good. :p

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Seriously, it feels like I got all games on the platform. I spent a whole lot of money on apps last Christmas. I got all the top-tier games on the dashboard and I haven't even touched them yet.. This is not good. :p

I've only got an ipod touch, and recently I've been looking at games I haven't played yet and thinking, 'I'll save that for ipad 3' Been hardly playing anything.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Simple solution - play them.

I've been stopping myself pressing that buy button on a lot of apps recently, knowing that there are loads on my iPad that I would like to finish. Finish what's on your plate before coming back for more.

SmokyDave

Simple solution - play them.

I've been stopping myself pressing that buy button on a lot of apps recently, knowing that there are loads on my iPad that I would like to finish. Finish what's on your plate before coming back for more.

Same. I have a several hundred strong backlog* and I'm not buying anything else until I've cleared at least one screen of games on my phone. Except Ghost Trick. And Reckless Racing 2. And Ghost Recon, if that hits.

*I'm not kidding. About 2200 apps, of which several hundred are games that I paid for with the intention of playing 'one day'. Damned impulse buys.

Cheebo

Banned
Am I the only one who hopes Apple spin-off's games into it's own Store on iOS like how Music/Video and Books get their own store? I don't like how on the iOS store you can't view the top selling lists by genre like you can in iTunes. It's become so large it feels too big to be lumped in with the rest of the apps and deserves it's own place like the music, movies/tv, and books get.

Rlan

Am I the only one who hopes Apple spin-off's games into it's own Store on iOS like how Music/Video and Books get their own store? I don't like how on the iOS store you can't view the top selling lists by genre like you can in iTunes. It's become so large it feels too big to be lumped in with the rest of the apps and deserves it's own place like the music, movies/tv, and books get.

... Don't you just go to Categories and then choose something other than games? It has Top Paid and Top Free in there.

ParityBit

Same. I have a several hundred strong backlog* and I'm not buying anything else until I've cleared at least one screen of games on my phone. Except Ghost Trick. And Reckless Racing 2. And Ghost Recon, if that hits.

*I'm not kidding. About 2200 apps, of which several hundred are games that I paid for with the intention of playing 'one day'. Damned impulse buys.

Ditto! Ugh! More on the paying for apps and never playing and the huge backlog. I will always buy apps! Stupid addiction.

Cheebo

Banned
... Don't you just go to Categories and then choose something other than games? It has Top Paid and Top Free in there.

I mean top selling by game genre. On itunes you can go by top selling rpg games, top selling arcade games, etc. You can't do that in the app store.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/04/apple...tion-went-on-sale-prematurely-issues-refunds/

At first it sounded like just an internal testing tool but the "available for sale prematurely" in Apple's explanation makes it sound like they have plans to eventually make a separate game store app. Who knows when/if that will happen though.

Enco

Meh Don't Run With a Plasma Sword is pretty average.

The menu sucks, the style is ugly and the gameplay is nothing amazing.

Cheebo

Banned
http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/04/apple...tion-went-on-sale-prematurely-issues-refunds/

At first it sounded like just an internal testing tool but the "available for sale prematurely" in Apple's explanation makes it sound like they have plans to eventually make a separate game store app. Who knows when/if that will happen though.

Makes sense, I wouldn't be surprised if they have a little game collection app where all the games go to instead of the main home screen like how it is with books and movie downloads as well.

Majine

Banned
I'd like to know what the universal part of Ghost Trick is. Looks pretty fuzzy and doesn't fill out the whole iPad screen.

Row

Banned
Meh Don't Run With a Plasma Sword is pretty average.

The menu sucks, the style is ugly and the gameplay is nothing amazing.

It's definitely an ugly game, but I really disagree about the gameplay as it's essentially devil may cry in endless runner form.

Utako

Banned
I'd like to know what the universal part of Ghost Trick is. Looks pretty fuzzy and doesn't fill out the whole iPad screen.
I am also disappointed by the very low-res assets. Everything is derived from 3D or hand-drawn originals, so how much overhead can really be involved in generating some decent-quality images?

At the very least, so that the game can be re-released for years to come. It's just good business sense.

Capcom Q3 F12 report (big declines)

Oh, right. Capcom.

GeekyDad

It's definitely an ugly game, but I really disagree about the gameplay as it's essentially devil may cry in endless runner form.

We must be playing different games. I disagree with some of what the previous poster said about the game, but it's definitely pretty average as far as actual gameplay goes. Maybe I just didn't invest enough time into unlocking things, but I don't see a whole lot of depth. Tapping a single button to swipe a lightsaber isn't quite DMC for me.

Row

Banned
We must be playing different games. I disagree with some of what the previous poster said about the game, but it's definitely pretty average as far as actual gameplay goes. Maybe I just didn't invest enough time into unlocking things, but I don't see a whole lot of depth. Tapping a single button to swipe a lightsaber isn't quite DMC for me.

quick transitions between double jumping, using dives to cancel out of jumps while sliding around and attacking enemies. It's a ton more involved than pretty much every other runner out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom