• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
Square is pretty scummy with these iOS apps, you would except these $18+ apps from the likes of Activision or EA. But surprisingly those 2 have being cheap in their App pricing with regular sales.

BKXB

Economist
The Simpsons: Tapped Out has some fun animations/voices, but I don't like those Smurfs-style games. Especially having to tap on money/XP to collect.

nyong

Banned
$18 for Tactics is a bargain, IMO. $0.99 is fine and good for an indie game made by a handful of people, but there is definitely a place for the more expensive core games as well.

$18 for Tactics is a bargain, IMO. $0.99 is fine and good for an indie game made by a handful of people, but there is definitely a place for the more expensive core games as well.

I have no doubt it's worth that much to some, but this is so off-the-wall more expensive than virtually everything else on the App Store that it's giving me pause even though I've been waiting for this port ever since getting my iPad 2. Hell, I can get the same game on my PSP for about half the price they're asking for the iPad version. Why should I pick iOS over the PSP version?

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
FF Tactics for iPad is out tonight.

Forum page on Touch Arcade suggesting it's been released in New Zealand: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=123448

So weird, I was wondering what happened to FFTactics for iPad last night and today here it is.

As for the pricing. I'm not sure but I can understand both sides of the argument. $20 for a PSP/DS game isn't that much but for some reason people balk at the idea of paying that same amount for the iOS release. I don't think they are asking too much. If anything the biggest problem with the game is that if you are a fan of the game, it's very likely you already own it for a different platform and the iOS version doesn't really offer any compelling reason to double dip other than the fact that it's a game you like on your iPad.

I have to assume that if it was original content being released in the $15-20 no one would be complaining?

As for the pricing. I'm not sure but I can understand both sides of the argument. $20 for a PSP/DS game isn't that much but for some reason people balk at the idea of paying that same amount for the iOS release. I don't think they are asking too much. If anything the biggest problem with the game is that if you are a fan of the game, it's very likely you already own it for a different platform and the iOS version doesn't really offer any compelling reason to double dip other than the fact that it's a game you like on your iPad.

I have to assume that if it was original content being released in the $15-20 no one would be complaining?

As I stated above, I'm not even sure about single dipping when I can literally click a button and own the PSP version for about half as much as they're asking for the iPad version. There is no reason for it to be priced more than what the PSP version is priced at right now - this is just a case of them shooting themselves in the foot because at this point people like me might just not bother with the game at all.

On whether I'd pay that much for original content - if someone really produced a 100+ hour game just for iOS I'd consider biting, but I can't imagine the majority of iOS users even considering it. It's just not something I see the market in general accepting.

Zzoram

Square is pretty scummy with these iOS apps, you would except these $18+ apps from the likes of Activision or EA. But surprisingly those 2 have being cheap in their App pricing with regular sales.

If Square is going to charge $18, they need to make their games Universal + Retina, and always update it with the latest features like Game Center and iCloud saves.

Card Boy

Banned
If Square is going to charge $18, they need to make their games Universal + Retina, and always update it with the latest features like Game Center and iCloud saves.

exactly. paying $18 twice is pure BS for this reason alone.

According to minsc in the other thread the game runs at 30 FPS while the PSP version is 60.

Saterium

I would like to see a comparison of FF Tactic iPhone with retinapad vs FF Tactic iPad

Ask and you shall receive...
The native picture is from an earlier post, the retinapad picture was taken by me.

Retinapad

iPad Native

I can see a different in the border and scaling, sprites and graphics look about the same though.

Glass Rebel

You could say that for a lot of games and devs, but at least most of those games aren't $16-$20.

I don't mind the idea of paying a premium price for certain games, but dammit, give me all the bells and whistles (universal app, cloud saving) if you're going to charge $20 for it. Look at ghost trick... $10, and I didn't bat an eye at it. That's a solid premium game done right.

Unfortunately, most Japanese devs have there heads stuck up you know where and don't understand how to price their games on iOS. You can charge more than $5, but give us a reason other than "it's your favorite game from 10 years ago!" Especially when you can get the same game much cheaper on other devices.

Long story short... give me a reason to buy the game, other than touch control.

This sums it up quite nicely.

But oh well, what can you do if there's still people who gobble every rerelease up. *sigh*

MasLegio

Banned
I've never played FFT but not entirely sure I want to drop quite that much on it. Don't suppose Square Enix stuff ever goes on sale?
It happens. Not often, but it happens.

This sums it up quite nicely.

But oh well, what can you do if there's still people who gobble every rerelease up. *sigh*

Speaking of that....
the second most selling app in Sweden is a palm reader app. Take a photo of a hand and it will tell you the future.
It wont be long before we see a Phrenology app...

best place to make money on stupid people is the App store.

Anim Castle

mzl.kzqfyyyq.320x480-75.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
exactly. paying $18 twice is pure BS for this reason alone.

According to minsc in the other thread the game runs at 30 FPS while the PSP version is 60.

That's on an iPhone 4, not 100% sure on a 4S, other than "it runs smooth," no slowdown. Could be either 30 without framedrops or possibly 60, never saw any clarification, but I'll be keeping an eye out for more info from the iPad release. There are numerous other enhancements though, which give it some value.

The PSP's slowdown is the worst kind though, since it pads on extra time to the animations, while the iOS slowdown simply skips frames if need be, so the pace is faster (on top of it already being faster). Shame it's not as smooth as the PSP overall for me on my iPhone 4, but I still have hope when I upgrade to a 5 it'll be running even better, and by then looking better as well!

#1 iOS feature for me is the resume support, so I can jump between two or three games without ever having to look at a title/loading screen. The increased resolution is also nice. Granted it's certainly pricey and lacking some key features you'd expect at the price it's at for iOS, but it's SE. I'm happy they've done / planned what they have! Maybe just wait for a 40%+ sale if you aren't :)

Girlfriend is officially addicted to the Simpsons game... unfortunately it doesn't seem to have the long-playability that something like Tiny Tower does - after you set people to do tasks that take more than a few minutes, there's nothing to do to pass the time (like ferrying people in the elevator in Tiny Tower, looking for VIP's, etc.). It is quite clean looking and does seem to have some variety however.

dream

Shit, Fairway Solitaire (iPad link) is unbelievably good. It's like Faerie Solitaire against a golf conceit. I haven't spent enough time with it to figure out how pervasive the IAPs are but, hell, it's fun enough for free for me to recommend it.

mzl.hxdqbolv.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.xtbkozwf.480x480-75.jpg

Yeah, I downloaded through Freemyapps(which never gave me the credit for it btw), but it was surprisingly good. Haven't bothered with the IAPs at all though.

Girlfriend is officially addicted to the Simpsons game... unfortunately it doesn't seem to have the long-playability that something like Tiny Tower does - after you set people to do tasks that take more than a few minutes, there's nothing to do to pass the time (like ferrying people in the elevator in Tiny Tower, looking for VIP's, etc.). It is quite clean looking and does seem to have some variety however.

I can't find this in the US appstore. I'm searching Simpsons and don't see the Tapped Out app, just the arcade one.

yogloo

I wonder what square would do if the ipad 3 comes out with a new hd display. Would they update fft again or just leave it at that.

Zeth

I wonder what square would do if the ipad 3 comes out with a new hd display. Would they update fft again or just leave it at that.

Good question. And I really wonder which games will run at full res. Probably only simpler 2D games. Is it really even possible for something like Infinity Blade to run at 2048x1536 when the vita (with a GPU that's probably more powerful) runs games lower than native res?

dream

Okay, so I've played more Fairway Solitaire and it looks like it's 6 courses for free, then a whole bunch more for a buck.

edit: actually, I'm wrong...I just unlocked a 7th course without paying the dollar yet...

SuperPac

Thank you, much appreciated!

The retina update before this looked nice but made the game so unresponsive that it was unplayable on my Touch 4.

Now it's more awesome than it ever was. The app starts up in like 2 seconds and is ready to go, which I find makes or breaks quickie type games like this. It's smooth as butter and most importantly, responsive again. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! Very glad to hear that this fixed the responsiveness for you. It's been a long journey to get this retina-enabled and running smoothly. Phew!

Milla

Neo Member
I have four Flick Kick Football codes for Gafers to celebrate the release of 1.7. First in, first served, as usual :)

Update to 1.7 adds Gamefeed and the ability to switch it off and some stability fixes.

kinggroin

Banned
Good question. And I really wonder which games will run at full res. Probably only simpler 2D games. Is it really even possible for something like Infinity Blade to run at 2048x1536 when the vita (with a GPU that's probably more powerful) runs games lower than native res?

Something I've actually brought up in the iPad 3 rumour thread. There's going to be a compromise here..

Either ios gamers get simpler looking games at native Res, or double scale iPad Res games to full screen and lose retina IQ.

Unless they have something even more powerful than the MP4 in the Vita (which is twice the gpu grunt of the already powerful iPad 2), compromises have to be made.

I'd love to see a focus on ultra high Res 2D gaming rather than underwhelming, blurry 3D titles.

Two things for Canadians:

1. For those who have played the Simpsons game, is there any point in tapping the XP and cash icons that pop out when you complete a task? As far as I can tell, the game just collects them for you if you don't touch them after a few seconds.

2. I have a free code for Scrabble that I just got from Starbucks to the first person who wants it. I think you need a Canadian iTunes account. Quote this if you want it.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
My wife lives on her ipad. She really wants to get on of those Ipad portfolio things that have a built in BT keyboard.

Can anyone recommend a good one?? If there even is one?

I'd love to see a focus on ultra high Res 2D gaming rather than underwhelming, blurry 3D titles.

RAM will be the limiting factor there. 2D assets will need 4x the memory storage to make the jump, and given how Apple likes to release their devices with minuscule amounts of RAM I'm not sure there will be enough to make this happen.

Aaron

My wife lives on her ipad. She really wants to get on of those Ipad portfolio things that have a built in BT keyboard.

Can anyone recommend a good one?? If there even is one?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'portfolio' here, but I have a logitech keyboard case and it works fantastically. I use it every day pretty much, and have never had a problem with it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Two things for Canadians:

1. For those who have played the Simpsons game, is there any point in tapping the XP and cash icons that pop out when you complete a task? As far as I can tell, the game just collects them for you if you don't touch them after a few seconds.

2. I have a free code for Scrabble that I just got from Starbucks to the first person who wants it. I think you need a Canadian iTunes account. Quote this if you want it.

I'll take it! thanks :) Canadian here ;)

Also yep, it'll collect them automatically after a bit... BUT THE TAPPING JUST FEELS SO GOOD. -cough-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom