• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everyone's personal opinion on Gamecenter Achievements? I've never really cared about PSN or XBOX achievements, but in the past 6 months or so-I've been dedicated to trying to get all the achievements for the games I own-

But man, getting all the achievements on Peggle is a nightmare....some of the high score challenges are impossible-and it's going to really bother me to see like "25 of 30" next to the app in Gamecenter...

What is everyone's personal opinion on Gamecenter Achievements? I've never really cared about PSN or XBOX achievements, but in the past 6 months or so-I've been dedicated to trying to get all the achievements for the games I own-

But man, getting all the achievements on Peggle is a nightmare....some of the high score challenges are impossible-and it's going to really bother me to see like "25 of 30" next to the app in Gamecenter...

Depends on the game. If I'm really into I'll try to get as many as I can. But for most games I don't care.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

I go for them if they're fun to do.

What is everyone's personal opinion on Gamecenter Achievements?

Enjoyed achievements on the 360 but I don't care for it too much on iOS. Whatever I get from playing through the game the first time, im happy with and most likely will move on. If it's a shmup, MAYBE I'll have an urge to get as many as I can though.

Vire

The way iOS handles achievements is really piss poor compared to 360 IMO.

They need a system level notification for every achievement with a noise and all that.

Game Center as a whole is really fucking ugly too.

They need a system level notification for every achievement with a noise and all that.

I get notifications for all my achievements...Under Notifications it's enabled-I do the Banner style notification, and then "Badge App Icon" "Sounds" and "View in Lock Screen" are all enabled.

mrkgoo

I go for them if they're fun to do.

Yeah, me too.

I like the idea of Achievements, and the implementation is competent. If they're in a game I like, and the challenges are reasonable, I will use them as an excuse to play more of the game.

If the achievements are too hard or involved, or for a game that I don't care for, I will leave it.

YOu can actually do that now.
But everything Game Center related basically makes every game that is not an iPhone 4/S or iPad 2 turn in to a slideshow, so you wouldn't want that. We tried to hide it in BSB. On older devices we even have a little animated "connecting to game center" icon thing.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
What they need to fix about Game Center is making the damn feature connect quickly when you launch in a game, and make it so it doesn't lag the game! The first minute or so of Beat Sneak Bandit is unplayable because of this. Not complaining about the game but Game Center utilization. It's annoying.

Meier

So has anyone in here ever picked up Football Manager for iOS? I've skipped it this year and last due to the $10 price, but I'm a bit tempted to give in some day since they clearly are never going to drop the price. I bought FM12 at launch for PC after trying FM11 once it went on sale last summer Steam sale and have been addicted since.

Reviews are a bit middling it seems like.

hygraed

I stopped giving a shit about GC achievements a long time ago because of how unreliable they are. I have loads of games where some achievements just don't register no matter how many times I fulfill the criteria.

What they need to fix about Game Center is making the damn feature connect quickly when you launch in a game, and make it so it doesn't lag the game! The first minute or so of Beat Sneak Bandit is unplayable because of this. Not complaining about the game but Game Center utilization. It's annoying.

We really tried to hide it at the "this game requires bla bla", but at the same time you want it seamless, you don't want a "connect to gc to post my stuff" button, right?
There's so many things that come in to play - connection speed, device etc.

So has anyone in here ever picked up Football Manager for iOS? I've skipped it this year and last due to the $10 price, but I'm a bit tempted to give in some day since they clearly are never going to drop the price. I bought FM12 at launch for PC after trying FM11 once it went on sale last summer Steam sale and have been addicted since.

Reviews are a bit middling it seems like.

I think it hit $5 a few weeks ago. Then bounced back to $10.

Nice icon. Big NG fan.

Vire

YOu can actually do that now.
But everything Game Center related basically makes every game that is not an iPhone 4/S or iPad 2 turn in to a slideshow, so you wouldn't want that. We tried to hide it in BSB. On older devices we even have a little animated "connecting to game center" icon thing.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to wait till the iPhone 5 comes out since my 4 still lags when those badges come up.

Hopefully it's all sorted out by then.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
How good/bad is Gameloft's GTA clone Gangstar Rio? It's down to .99 from 6.99... Is it terribad or not too bad for a dollar?

Meier

I think it hit $5 a few weeks ago. Then bounced back to $10.

Nice icon. Big NG fan.

Shit, just checked appshopper and it went from $10 to $5 for a day. :mad: I really need to change the email associated with that.. obviously missed out on the heads up. Dammit. Looks like they didn't send an email out about the price drop.. bastards.

I am flying to London on Friday. Seeing Noel on Sunday night at the O2 Arena and then again a few nights later at the NME Awards. Woohoo! :)

Reese-015

How good/bad is Gameloft's GTA clone Gangstar Rio? It's down to .99 from 6.99... Is it terribad or not too bad for a dollar?

Fun to dick around with for a buck but definitely doesn't match any of the actual quality .99 offerings you can find on the app store.

Enco

I tired the older versions and hated them.

Extremely buggy and boring. Definitely a waste of money. I would rather get a chocolate bar.

Reese-015

I tired the older versions and hated them.

Extremely buggy and boring. Definitely a waste of money. I would rather get a chocolate bar.

Haha, the man has a point sorta... I even felt ripped off myself a bit for just a buck... But I did enjoy playing around with it a bit, even if just for the graphics which, while buggy (crazy pop-in and such), are also pretty impressive for a GTA-like game.

MasLegio

Banned
I disagree entirely. There are small issues here and there but overall the game is pretty well balanced once you learn how to play.

ive lost all my games so far

it would have been good to have a single player tutorial campaign in the game instead of sending new players out for mp slaughter. So far my impressions of the game is not too good due to this. Not recommending this game to anybody yet.

Pastry

Banned
ive lost all my games so far

it would have been good to have a single player tutorial campaign in the game instead of sending new players out for mp slaughter. So far my impressions of the game is not too good due to this. Not recommending this game to anybody yet.

I will admit there is a steep learning curve but I don't think that means the game is imbalanced. It takes a while to get used to each team and learn strategies. Until then you will most likely be losing for a while.

Shaneus

I will admit there is a steep learning curve but I don't think that means the game is imbalanced. It takes a while to get used to each team and learn strategies. Until then you will most likely be losing for a while.
This is true. But it is imbalanced, just not as massively as you'd think when starting out. It's a matter of exploiting those subtle imbalances when you can. But when you're on the receiving end, it's damn painful because there's jack you can do about it.

shira

Payments occur monthly about 4 weeks after month end. So big chance these guys won't see anything.

How it is even up in the first place is beyond me. Based on functionality alone it should have failed submission.

Mark-Bozon.jpg

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Against my better judgement, I am going to try this now (it's out in Canada). I'll be back in a few days, possibly several hundred dollars poorer.

LOL there's a 99.99$ IAP, so... this is entirely possible. (not kidding, you can buy a dozen "donuts" for 1.99, 60 donuts for 4.99 or 2400 DONUTS FOR 99.99). I'll try it anyway and see if it's any good. (I'm Canadian as well)

Flunkie

Banned
LOL there's a 99.99$ IAP, so... this is entirely possible. (not kidding, you can buy a dozen "donuts" for 1.99, 60 donuts for 4.99 or 2400 DONUTS FOR 99.99). I'll try it anyway and see if it's any good. (I'm Canadian as well)

Welcome to freemium gaming, where being an idiot is totally plausible. I have spent $.99 total freemium games ever, but they're still my most played game on the store. It's self-control really. I just got into Valor and DragonVale and I'm knee-deep into Battle Nations and Trade nations. They're a lot of fun to me, without IAP. They give you this sense of progression and when you finally grind out that extra level it's cool. Certain ones just turn me way off though. I'm also not cool with games that shouldn't be freemium, but would gladly pay to have the whole game, or games that take freemium to the next level of gouging (Gameloft). I like a freemium with a good, interesting premise, and attainable goals without feeling like I have to spend money to progress. It all depends on patience and/or amount of interest. I know for some, waiting a half a day to continue playing is ridiculous.. in certain aspects, it can be fun. It's a game on my phone, not Civilization at home. It's mobile, it's there when I want it, and it's working in the background when I don't. A game like DragonVale or Battle Nations wouldn't work without the game model it utilizes.

Others can totally splurge and buy tons of IAP and enjoy the game just as well.

/freemiumtangent

MasLegio

Banned

I'm considering just uninstalling the game, there are plenty of other games that feel more worthy of my time as things are now. Its just a game after all.

Gaspode_T

I would caegorize freemium IAP into three categories:

1) DLC style IAP

Game is free but buying stuff adds tangible content to game. Unlock songs in Jubeat, Groove Coaster, unlock playable classes in Hero Academy.

2) Progress IAP

Buying "coins" or "gold" in any ways falls into here usually, speeding up progress of game, unlocking things or being able to dress up avatar in fancy ways by purchasing things faster.

3) Consumable IAP

This is just totally gone after you use it and doesn't really add any progress, an example of this is the eagle in Angry Birds or the power up IAP in Groove Coaster that lets you see where all the ad-hoc taps are (one time use).

Personally I dislike #3 a lot but I'm okay with #1. #3 is the most revenue potential for the devs/publishers so I expect to see more of it snuck in little by little.

SmokyDave

Isn't it already out (The Simpsons: Tapped Out)?

Not in all regions. For some reason I'm convinced it's going to be cool so I've been eagerly checking the UK store. It's not here yet.

There is a fake 'Micro Machines' up though. I expect an 'App store is cancerous' topic within a day or two.

3) Consumable IAP

This is just totally gone after you use it and doesn't really add any progress, an example of this is the eagle in Angry Birds or the power up IAP in Groove Coaster that lets you see where all the ad-hoc taps are (one time use).

The eagle isn't a consumable. It's a one-time purchase.

mrkgoo

The eagle isn't a consumable. It's a one-time purchase.

Yeah, was going to say this.

I finished all levels in Angry Birds with 3 stars, so purchasing the Eagle after that was a 99c way to extend the game even further. Now I can try and finish every level again in a different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom