• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

Looking forward to a good year of games. Who's got Hero Academy? I'm looking for some people to play with! My name on it is SirMJ.

You know who needs to make ios games? The Pixeljunk guys. Those games are perfect for this format. Give me some Pixeljunk Monsters!
Seriously I can't believe they have nothing on iOS. Their games are practically made for it and would sell like crazy.

Is there will and a possibillity that we could keep the "what-we're-playing-right-now"-games in the thread start? For instance Run Roo Run and Super Crate Box that many seem to be playing right now? It would make it easier to jump in and find new games.

Flim Flam

Neo Member
Anyone else pick up TouchRummy while it was on sale last week? Its basically RummiKub on iOS. Its a pretty fun game, kind of a cross between dominoes and rummy. It has wi-fi and Bluetooth multiplayer as well, pretty entertaining.

TouchRummy

Gaaraz

Hope people don't mind me re-posting from the old thread:

I see some insane Temple Run scores above, any tips please? I can't make it above 3 million... do you sometimes trip on purpose to slow yourselves down? Even die on purpose? Can you get the 1m without powerups by using the boosts at the start, and resurrection wings?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Looking forward to another great year of iOS releases! Been putting a lot of energy into the late stages of Pocket League Story and need something new to take my interest. Hopefully Star Command will eventually get released this year too!

Here's a cheery story to start off the thread:

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Whale+Trail/news.asp?c=36980

For many developers, the launch of a game is a nervous experience.

For UK-outfit ustwo, however, the peaks and troughs of Whale Trail seem more like a soap opera.

In a statement coupling the game's launch on Android Market, the studio's self-proclaimed CHIEF WONKA millsTM has expressed disappointment with the game's performance on iOS to date, with Whale Trail notching up 140,000 paid downloads.

For millsTM at least, such a tally represents the "final nail in the ustwo premium coffin".

Trail fail

"When we launched Whale Trail over two months ago on iOS, our intentions were for it to succeed and soar up the charts as an affordable premium game," he details.

"We had invested a lot of money making and marketing a game for the masses and it failed to reach the masses. Although we're still getting around 500-700 downloads a day on iOS, we quite rightly feel it's not enough for a game of such quality. So our conclusion is that we were wrong to go premium."

Despite such a declaration, however, millsTM is looking to be proved wrong. Whale Trail's launch on Android Market – coming in at 99c/69p, like the iOS version – is being pitched as a final 'litmus test' for the premium model.

It could prove to be ustwo's last paid experiment, and the studio is looking for downloads in the region of 45,000 in the first few months – significantly down on iOS's total, but representative of the different monetisation levels of the two platforms.

Last goodbye

"If we shift less than this, then we can safely say premium is no longer sustainable for ustwo and others like us in terms of investment," he added.

"We simply need to see ROI over a shorter time period. This is a chance to see if Android users accept or reject a game that has so far cost £250,000 across both platforms to create and market and continually update with new content."

He doesn't want to go freemium, however.

"I'm praying that I'm wrong and Whale Trail is a hit on Android. But, we've been here numerous times before. The likelihood is this will be the final ustwo nail in the premium games coffin.

"We've invested premium bucks and want nothing less than a premium finish."

£250,000 to develop and market! Wow.

Chopper

I want to play Hero Academy, but it probably looks terrible on my iPad. :/

I don't tend to download apps that have to be upscaled, but seeing as it was free, I took the plunge. Everything looks fine except for text when using the Help function. In-game descriptions of items are squint-tastic. Get it anyway though.

Slacker

I picked it up. I only played it for like 10 minutes or so, and was really confused. I've never played the board game before, but the little tutorial messages that pop up don't seem to be nearly enough information to figure out how to play. It does look pretty nice, and seems like it could be a fun game, once I figure out how the hell to play it.

This is a pretty decent vid on how to get started in Caylus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OYgT3pKIQ4

Note that the text moves a little too fast so be prepared to pause so you can keep up.

Hope people don't mind me re-posting from the old thread:

I see some insane Temple Run scores above, any tips please? I can't make it above 3 million... do you sometimes trip on purpose to slow yourselves down? Even die on purpose? Can you get the 1m without powerups by using the boosts at the start, and resurrection wings?
Basically use the wings - they're active for 30 seconds I believe? So if I don't die within the 30 seconds after activating them I just kill myself before they run out. Then just make sure you don't die during the cooldown period. Rinse and repeat. It gets quite a bit easier to get that many points after levelling up all of the powerups (especially the magnet). Just have lots of wings on hand and try to use them when you see danger coming up.

The 1 million without powerups, means 1 million without powerups :p so no boosts or resurrections, and make sure to kill yourself after getting that 1 million - if you pick up a powerup afterwards you won't get the achievement.

was on touch arcade earlier and noticed the Dungeon Raid topic made it to the first page. pure sadness when i noticed it was just a bad necro. i really wish Fire Flame kept working on the game. i got an ipad and could use some retina. Anyone know who is authorized to do price adjustments on a game besides the maker?

pulga

Banned
So, what's the hot thing on iOS right now, GAF? Been away from the iThing gaming scene for a couple of months.

Chinner

Banned
So, what's the hot thing on iOS right now, GAF? Been away from the iThing gaming scene for a couple of months.

-sonic cd
-gta 3
- temple run
- super crate box
- where's my water

quite a few other things but i forgot what they're called.

-sonic cd
-gta 3
- temple run
- super crate box
- where's my water

quite a few other things but i forgot what they're called.

Chinner, temple run is my drug in that i can't stop playing it and its slowly but surely killing me :(

btw, add me on iOS if you don't mind- LovingSteam

Here's to the new year/thread!

Hero Academy is DEVOURING my time. In a good way. Running five GAF games at once is a new experience for me.

SmokyDave

Posting to subscribe. 1 page down, 400 to go! :D

New Jeff Minter release this week too! Couldn't come at a better time.

Woahwoahwoahwoah, what is this?!

I really ought to go back and play Deflex first, but whatever.

Soul Calibur and Ghost Recon are the two I'm jonesing for at the moment.

eznark

Banned
Any new news on Dominion? I'm kind of holding off any any "large" iOS purchases until that drops since I have some credit in my account. Once that hits I will pick it and Caylus up probably.

Super Crate Box

he said months. lets help this man out.

single player:

GTA3
scribblenauts remix
smash cops
terra noctis
sonic cd
wind up knight

high score goodness(dont have wario on your friendslist if you want to feel good about your score)

super crate box
run roo run
zen pinball

multiplayer fun:

scramble with friends
lunar racer

i cant/dont find too many multiplayer games.....maybe cause im not looking.

pulga

Banned
Fuck this game. But it's freaking addictive, though. Playing it on iPad, think i'd like it much better on iPhone, it's really uncomfortable to hold.

he said months. lets help this man out.

single player:

GTA3
scribblenauts remix
smash cops
terra noctis
sonic cd
wind up knight

high score goodness(dont have wario on your friendslist if you want to feel good about your score)

super crate box
run roo run
zen pinball

multiplayer fun:

scramble with friends
lunar racer

Thanks, will look into some of these!

Sotha Sil

Fuck this game. But it's freaking addictive, though. Playing it on iPad, think i'd like it much better on iPhone, it's really uncomfortable to hold.

Yeah, it's awkward as hell at first, but it gets better.

Watch out for that diskgun.

hiryu

Thanks, will look into some of these!

Run Roo Run is the new hotness. Game is awesome. All of you should be playing it.

HBP

Been trying to get into Final Fantasy Tactics but I think the game is too hard for me, I seem to get too many of my characters killed off and I just started!

Sotha Sil

Been trying to get into Final Fantasy Tactics but I think the game is too hard for me, I seem to get too many of my characters killed off and I just started!

Well, you already paid the Squenix tax, so you really should persevere. Use an online guide if you need to. Amazing experience all around once you "get it".

Here's a cheery story to start off the thread:

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Whale+Trail/news.asp?c=36980

£250,000 to develop and market! Wow.

If they spent so much to develop the game, they are doing it wrong.

The game doesn't feel like there is a quarter million pounds beyond. Also, it's very risky to spend so much in a 0'99$ iOS game. Even if they are dissapointed with the sales, sales could have been much worse and they could be broke right now. Don't blame the "low" sales, blame the cost of development.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Woahwoahwoahwoah, what is this?!

I really ought to go back and play Deflex first, but whatever.

Soul Calibur and Ghost Recon are the two I'm jonesing for at the moment.

It's called Caverns of Minos, there's a blog about it here - http://minotaurproject.co.uk/blog/

He reckons it should be out very soon, it's been submitted for approval already.

Thinking about this an. The Whale Trail post above, I'm thinking that the best way to make a decent living on iOS is to have a critical mass of games on the app store. I doubt Jeffs games sell all that well, but if there's enough of them out there, that long tail should hopefully have enough sales trickling in to make him a nice living. At least I hope that's the case, dude deserves some success, meven if it's only moderate.

Sotha Sil

As I said, the addictive HS component is there. But I can't help but feel the game would be that much more awesomer with actual buttons. Precision is key.

Strangely enough, some Gaffers said the game didn't get any easier with the iCade; as a matter of fact, I think someone said his score got even worse. Seems weird, though; I would love to play it with real buttons too.

Puzzlejuice looks amazing. Looks like a blend of tetris, SpellTower/Boggle, and match 3. Should be coming out this Thursday.

Can't what for my iOS games to be a higher resolution than my PC games.

I wonder if frame rates will take a hit. Wouldn't mind hearing from a developer point of view about the bump in resolution. I know it's awesome for reading...but games? Game res seems fine now, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom