• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII - Console version detailed

Lots of safe moist as dudes in this thread. :|

On KoF12 it was "No Mai no buy".

Now there's Mai and (allegedly) good netcode, and it's "No spectator mode, no buy!"

They were never going to buy any incarnation of KoF anyhow.

I'm still all over this.

Kimosabae

Banned
Fersis said:
Features:
  • Training mode

THANK-YOU-BASED-GOD.jpg

Shinriji

Lyte Edge said:
But hey, I purchased KOF '95 on PSN the other day, and had some matches against Japanese players. Did not feel laggy at all.

Post this on the NeoGeo Station topic if you can. Many people there didn't believe that the netcode is actually good this time.

And add be me (Shinriji) to get some matches going.

LowParry

Souther said:
Nah, i meant exactly what i said.

I've played kof from 94. I haven't bought every game ever since and don't buy everything KOF related. I just think it's pretty lame that some people aren't willing to buy a game based on the lack of spectator mode.

It's pretty lame when you have a lot of your friends list playing the game and you can't all watch the current match going in the room you've created. This killed it for me with MvC3 and plenty of others. Unless the netcode turns out to be near Blazblue quality, I think I may just pass.

GrayFoxPL

People rather spectate then play?

Waste of time. Never used lobbies, by the time it's your turn you could play 4 one on one matches.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Take Out Bandit said:

I'm still all over this.

Hey now, I like KoF. But I've been burned by SNK/Suckmore over and over and over and over and over and over again. Esp. with the Metal Slug series. I won't be fooled again.

No PC version, no buy.

GrayFoxPL said:

I'm guessing you haven't been in SSF4 PSN chat lobbies, spectating while shooting the shit is fun. Plus spectator (and replay mode) allows you to learn characters in actual play. Why wouldn't you want a spectator mode?

Souther

Banned
CcrooK said:
It's pretty lame when you have a lot of your friends list playing the game and you can't all watch the current match going in the room you've created. This killed it for me with MvC3 and plenty of others. Unless the netcode turns out to be near Blazblue quality, I think I may just pass.

Well i guess that's your call. But as some others have said, it's not like they still couldn't put it in at some point. I am sure there will be people clamoring for it and they will probably bow to pressure eventually.

GrayFoxPL said:

Waste of time. Never used lobbies, by the time it's your turn you could play 4 one on one matches.
Some people like to play with friends or randoms and chill out, others like to play as many games in the shortest amount time, its all about options.

LowParry

Souther said:
Well i guess that's your call. But as some others have said, it's not like they still couldn't put it in at some point. I am sure there will be people clamoring for it and they will probably bow to pressure eventually.

And if they do, I'll hop on board :D

Tizoc said:
I don't have a problem with the lack of spectator mode, they could add it in a future update of the game.

This. They REALLY need to do it at some point though.

I'm getting the game anyway because I really need to hit the lab, merely playing this game at the arcades, even extensively against quite a lot of players, isn't gonna cut it for me to really improve.

GrayFoxPL

TheSeks said:
Hey now, I like KoF. But I've been burned by SNK/Suckmore over and over and over and over and over and over again. Esp. with the Metal Slug series. I won't be fooled again.

No PC version, no buy.

I'm guessing you haven't been in SSF4 PSN chat lobbies, spectating while shooting the shit is fun. Plus spectator (and replay mode) allows you to learn characters in actual play. Why wouldn't you want a spectator mode?

That's what yt vids are for. When it's time to play, it's time to play.

TheSeks said:

That's your fault for loving that K-Mart Contra. OHHHH SNAP!

I can't believe we'll be able to color our own characters. No wonder Arc System Works didn't help SNK out. :p

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Souther said:

I've played kof from 94. I haven't bought every game ever since and don't buy everything KOF related. I just think it's pretty lame that some people aren't willing to buy a game based on the lack of spectator mode.

I've played every KOF since the original too. Used to have a Neo-Geo and bought the game every year. Blah blah blah who cares.

Just going to keep reposting it: After fucking up with XII, SNK needs to do everything they can to earn back consumers' trust. No spectator mode is the first "chink in the armor" revealed. Will this stop me from wanting to purchase this game? No. Does it suck? Absolutely.

CcrooK said:

This.

Souther said:

If they don't have spectator mode at the start, it's not coming later. :p Not unless they go the Ultimate MvC route.

SNK has revealed plenty of great features for XIII at home. The content is fine. The pressure is on them to get the online right.

TheSeks

GrayFoxPL said:
That's what yt vids are for. When it's time to play, it's time to play.

...Okay? You don't like Specatator mode. Some of us do. Great. Now that we're on the same page, not having it is fucking stupid when 90% of other fighting games (that 10% being Alpha vs Beta 3: Fate of Buying the Complete Game until a third edition) support it.

TTOB said:

All I wanted was a portable MS3. Was that too much to ask for, SNK/Suckmore!? ;___;

Holy Order Sol said:
This. They REALLY need to do it at some point though.

I'm getting the game anyway because I really need to hit the lab, merely playing this game at the arcades, even extensively against quite a lot of players, isn't gonna cut it for me to really improve.
Tell me about it, it‘s worse in my case since the only thing I do is get bodied :/

If anything, fighting games need to step up from spectator mode to SSFIV's replay channel system.

That way after getting beat a bunch and quitting a game, I can at least watch it at 720p 60fps on my TV, instead of having the disc collect dust.

Or even CPU vs CPU.

TheSeks

Slamtastic said:
If anything, fighting games need to step up from spectator mode to SSFIV's replay channel system.

That way after getting beat a bunch and quitting a game, I can at least watch it at 720p 60fps on my TV, instead of having the disc collect dust.

Or even CPU vs CPU.

That as well. Replay and Spectator mode along with good netcode should be the PRIORITY for any fighting game going forward. Balance is close second, but if you have shitty netcode and shitty online options in this day and age of no-arcade-we-have-to-play-online, your fighting game is going to suck. Real talk.

TTOB said:
Your PC is portable?! :O

No, I'm talking MSA on PSP. Shitty emulation FTL.

And I love Contra as well. Dealwitit.gif

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
TheSeks said:
All I wanted was a portable MS3. Was that too much to ask for, SNK/Suckmore!? ;___;

Put custom firmware on your PSP. Problem solved!

You also want to talk SHIT-portable ports? Ever play Tenka on the PSP Samurai Spirits Anthology? Vomit-inducing.

Frankfurt

Banned
I don't like spectator-like modes because they're slow, 90% of fighting game fans curse non-stop AND spectating may even make your match lag. In concept they're amazing, but I've never enjoyed my time in a single one. Would be nice to have the option just in case I somehow found a large group of friendly players and the game had perfect netcode, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

MrMephistoX said:
360 has the better cover but which console is everyone going for? Will GAFCHAT rise from it's grave?

Don't quote the whole post man, at least remove the images, please.

Also, I agree that there are people that have no plans of ever buying the game and are just finding excuses:

"No Bao no buy!"
"I'll ignore KOF XI, XIII, MIA, SST, SS5S and NGBC and say SNKP is awful and has never released a good fighting game, so I'm not buying this one!"
"After KOF XII, SNK better give me a backrub to make up for it!"

Newsflash: if the game is good, the game is good. It's as simple as that.

I don't like XII, huge disappointment. It removed KOF from my "favorite franchises" list. But KOFXIII looks amazing and has 100% positive feedback from players everywhere.

That's good enough for me. The console extras are just the cherry on top.

Edgeward

Souther said:

I don't know why that's lame. My IRL friends don't play fighting games, so I only get to play online with my gaf friends. And after playing mvc3, waiting in lobbies with nothing going on is fucking terrible especially if you're new to the game. You can't learn what people are doing, what mistakes are being made and what combos people are using or even being able to talk to people about the matches and ask questions or commentate. That doesn't help build a community online, I got a lot of mileage out of SF4 because of being able to spectate and see some pretty good matches and being able to share those comebacks or funny moments with people.

and people talking about adding it in later, I remember all that talk in mvc3 as well. That didn't work out well, and considering SNK has a worse track record than capcom, yea. I'm gonna doubt that.

Frankfurt said:
I don't like spectator-like modes because they're slow, 90% of fighting game fans curse non-stop AND spectating may even make your match lag. In concept they're amazing, but I've never enjoyed my time in a single one. Would be nice to have the option just in case I somehow found a large group of friendly players and the game had perfect netcode, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Don't quote the whole post man, at least remove the images, please.

Also, I agree that there are people that have no plans of ever buying the game and are just finding excuses:

"No Bao no buy!"
"I'll ignore KOF XI, XIII, MIA, SST, SS5S and NGBC and say SNKP is awful and has never released a good fighting game, so I'm not buying this one!"
Don't forget the UMs, unless they don't count.

TreIII

I can't believe we'll be able to color our own characters. No wonder Arc System Works didn't help SNK out. :p

*iseewhatyoudidthere.gif* :lol

TheSeks

Lyte Edge said:
You also want to talk SHIT-portable ports? Ever play Tenka on the PSP Samurai Spirits Anthology? Vomit-inducing.

I should hunt that down for cheap and/or youtube it. But when bullets are hitting you and you don't see them because the collection wasn't made for the then-current hardware, your collection outright sucks. :|

TTOB said:
But it will have no online co-op. NO SALE! NO SALE SIR!

I honestly haven't ever played multiplayer Contra. I guess I should get on that with ASW's variant of Hard Corps.
No Brownie. No PC version. :( :(

Anyway: I wish SNK (and Capcom, and ASW) would put their games on PC. SF3S, SSF2T, KoF98:UM/02:UM, GG:XX:^C, BB:CS2 would be nice. I mean KoF98 and 02 work fabulously with GGPO. Just put in a training and tutorial mode and allow spectating through the GGPO code and you're pretty much set for SF and KoF since people can just record through FRAPS.

Put those on Steam and make a quick buck.

I'm so going off topic in this thread.

BadWolf

I've watched the game enough with over a year of waiting for it so I could care less for spectator mode, I want to play.

I'll buy it right after getting confirmation that the netcode is solid, then its all about practice mode and online play.

If people want to watch, they can look up replays of their friends then, or better yet, look up replays of top players then. I think everyone will take better netcode over spectator mode (esp. since every game i played w/ spectators lag my game out from people joining/disconnecting)

I was really interested in KoF, but if theres no spectator mode, I'll pass. MvC3 taught me spectator mode is essential.
For some reason, I thought netcode was easier to do on 2D games and that spectator mode would have been a given. I guess I was wrong.

KingJ2002

Finally! the next gen KOF Title we've all been waiting for.... this is a day one purchase for me not just as a fan but i would like SNK to succeed with KOF13 and bring us more franchises

we need:

a new Metal Slug
a new Samurai Showdown
a new Last Blade
a new Garou

and hopefully more cross ups... imagine a soul calibur vs. samurai showdown title!

all this could be possible is KOF13 sells well.... or if SNK sells their franchises to another company. (hopefully sega)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Not too fussed about the lack of spectator (like to play, not watch), but DLC characters kind of sour the deal. Terrible trend in fighters. Really makes me want to just wait for the "ultimate" edition, but I still want to buy this just to support them. So conflicted. :(

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Lots of safe moist as dudes in this thread. :|

On KoF12 it was "No Mai no buy".

Now there's Mai and (allegedly) good netcode, and it's "No spectator mode, no buy!"

I'm still all over this.

This is a fucking problem. All the people in this thread claiming that they don't care about spectator mode must not have a group of online friends that they play fighting games with all at once. That's fine and all, but you have to understand why the demand for spectator mode is there. Fighting games are a social experience. A lobby emulates an arcade dynamic. That's why it appeals to people. It's important.

At the very fucking least let people waiting go into training mode or something in the meantime.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
A shame really, i was expecting to have kickass lobbies and such.
Every fighting game should have lobbies and spectating. But i guess they had to take it out to get better netplay.

:(

Mdeezy

I will definitely be getting this. Ive been playing KOF since I was a kid. I always wished they would've crossed over with Street Fighter before Tekken but oh well

LowParry

Mdeezy said:
I will definitely be getting this. Ive been playing KOF since I was a kid. I always wished they would've crossed over with Street Fighter before Tekken but oh well

Capcom vs SNK?

alstein

Fersis said:
A shame really, i was expecting to have kickass lobbies and such.
Every fighting game should have lobbies and spectating. But i guess they had to take it out to get better netplay.

:(

It's more fun playing a game then watching one. I can't stand spectator modes personally. If I'm playing, I want to play, not watch folks.

Give me better netcode since I often want to play at 5am midweek, and well, you can't go to someone's house to do that.

I figure by October I'll be bored with Arcana by then.

DLC chars don't bother me, if the game blows- then don't buy them. If it doesn't, you're getting your money's worth, and it's good if they need to fix bugs also, since it gives them more patches to play with (see Mortal Kombat which needed it)

I just hope we get good characters, not Temjins.

Teknoman

What if you're in a room full of people and you have to wait for the two fighting to finish the match though? Thats where spectator mode can come in handy, as its like watching your friends on their turn as if you were in the same room. I dont think anyone ever spectates just for the hell of it...most of the time its because you dont want to just have a lobby stats screen to stare at for the duration of the fight before your turn.

Shadow780

While it's nice to have spectator mode, but the no.1 thing they should focus on is nail the netcode down, if anything that initial word of mouth impression is vital to get those who are on the fence and make them into buyers in order to have a larger community.

Specatator mode can come later on.

Teknoman

Yeah netcode should be top priority above all other things online related, so if they can nail that first...I wouldnt be so down about spectator.

Frankfurt

Banned
I dunno, maybe I just haven't found the right people, but I have fun playing and/or talking WHILE I'm playing. Watching even my best friends play isn't fun for me.

alstein said:

Wait, people don't like Temjin?

Tomato peepeeeeee!

He and Karnov are the same kind of awesome, IMO.

Teknoman said:
What if you're in a room full of people and you have to wait for the two fighting to finish the match though? Thats where spectator mode can come in handy, as its like watching your friends on their turn as if you were in the same room. I dont think anyone ever spectates just for the hell of it...most of the time its because you dont want to just have a lobby stats screen to stare at for the duration of the fight before your turn.

I understand that, but saying that because it doesn't have that, you will ignore the entire wealth of story content, other gameplay modes, color edit, without even mentioning the solid gameplay system with console exclusive characters and balance tweaks to make the game as best as it can be (with a 10 dollar discount (or Iori DLC included if it costs 10 bucks), all because you can't see two other people playing while you wait? This is why I see it as pretty hard to believe this as a deal-breaker. Maybe its because I've actually played the game at random arcades over the course of 2 years.

alstein

Frankfurt said:
I dunno, maybe I just haven't found the right people, but I have fun playing and/or talking WHILE I'm playing. Watching even my best friends play isn't fun for me.

Wait, people don't like Temjin?

Tomato peepeeeeee!

He and Karnov are the same kind of awesome, IMO.

Temjin is better then 1/3 the SF4 designs, but there's like 80 better choices for characters to be included. They added Hwa Jai this time so anything's possible.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
alstein said:
It's more fun playing a game then watching one. I can't stand spectator modes personally. If I'm playing, I want to play, not watch folks.Give me better netcode since I often want to play at 5am midweek, and well, you can't go to someone's house to do that.

I figure by October I'll be bored with Arcana by then.

DLC chars don't bother me, if the game blows- then don't buy them. If it doesn't, you're getting your money's worth, and it's good if they need to fix bugs also, since it gives them more patches to play with (see Mortal Kombat which needed it)

Im not arguing that im just saying that spectator mode is pretty useful community oriented feature.
But hey im sure theres a reason why SNKP didnt implement it (Probably to save up bandwidth?) Anyhow if the netcode is good im cool.

TheAnswer said:
We have over 50 participants for the KOF XIII side tournament!!!
Pretty good.

MountZion

Neo Member
I ordered 2 copies as well. Even though I know it is stupid - got to have those 2 different covers. Supporting Atlus is never a bad thing either. And it comes out on my birthday - so maximum happiness.

Top Bottom