• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII - Console version detailed

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SAB CA said:
I prefer crouching Roundhouse myself! Really, I have a bad habit of THAT myself, even after all these years, lol. (PSA: Too many sweeps will leave you open, and get you smashed. Please use light attacks when spacing!)
Lately I'm finding I'm sweeping too much. It's actually because my roommate is really susceptible to sweeps, so I exploit it. It gets me into trouble when other people come over.

thetrin said:
Lately I'm finding I'm sweeping too much. It's actually because my roommate is really susceptible to sweeps, so I exploit it. It gets me into trouble when other people come over.

That happens , you end up with bad habits that effect you later on vs people that can play better .
Learning to play tekken and it's happening to me right now.

That's a fantastic preview by gametrailers, lots of great new stages I hadn't seen before!

Fersis-style hype roaring through my veins!

GO TEAM FATAL FURY!

Mature

I wish gametrailers videos didnt bug out on my computer.

Also, i'm doing 360 version.

Edit: Oh, cool, member status.

The GT preview was really nice. The closer we get to the release, the more hyped I get. Oh man, it'd be totally awesome if somehow I could get it early, I can't wait anymore D:

kunonabi

New stages look nice. Only had a brief amount of time with the arcade version but SNK really and Atlus are really hitting this out of the park. I hope it does well because they certainly deserve it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
gundamkyoukai said:
That happens , you end up with bad habits that effect you later on vs people that can play better .
Learning to play tekken and it's happening to me right now.
It's not really that they're better, it's that I play my roommate so often that I tailor my play style to him. I just don't have enough people in regular rotation that I vary my style.

The Take Out Bandit said:
PS3 - sampled Xbox Live for a year. Left unimpressed. 360 is still good for exclusives, but paying to play online can go to Hell!
360 really isn't that good for exclusives, either, anymore.

Tizoc

Happy B-Day SAB CA!

BTW question regarding Heavy D!-
I'm writing down my concept/ideas for an SvC3 fighting game, and want to consider adding him, but I need to know a few things-
How do his moves work; what are they useful for? His shadow move has him dash forward and perform a low attack, but couldn't that also be used to perform his other special moves?
What benefit does his Dust Upper offer as opposded to his QCB+K move?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Merci, Merci Tizoc!

On Heavy D! (98UM edition):

Dust Upper has faster startup, and also eats fireballs. It's a great way to anti-air bad jumps, and puts a lot of "Attack" in front of him. It's a distanced attack that kinda keeps him safer, if used to kinda poke at range.

Ground Pound: Unlike Ralf's in XII and XIII, his has full startup invincibility, especially on the strong version, if memory serves. It can be used as a reversal on wakeup, or to counter moves that would normally lock in anyone else.

Shadow dashes are personal mixups; One hits low for the 2nd punch, the other hits overhead. They also have some moving-in invincibility, just like Vanessa or Dudley would.

His corkscrew blow punch is good for chip. Good way to catch people on the edge of your fist.

He also has a command unblockable done with the DP motion. It's a great way to blow guards, of course, and easy to do from dashes, or mask beneath a full run.

And then we have Shadow Boxing. Not only does it power up itself, to be used as an attack if repeated, but it also powers up everthing else. Improves his chip, safety, combo openings, increases damage... just free EX moves all around.

In UM, they also gave him a new DM that powered up all his moved with their Shadowboxing version for a limited period of time. Since the buffs wear off right after one buffed move, having a time limit could open up new combos for him.

Of course, he has some of the best jabs in the game, a great hopping B crossup almost equal to Kim's, and one of few people with a double hit hopping C to land combos. 1 ver effective command normal that could also be landed off light attacks rounds out some of his more unique normals.

In new KoF, I think he's more technical, Vanessa more speedy, and Rick could be a bit more of a rushing powerhouse. Micheal Max of Axel Hawk could both basically be the "Raidens" of boxing if they'd want them to be, with Axel being a bit more fresh for fighters...

thetrin

kunonabi said:
New stages look nice. Only had a brief amount of time with the arcade version but SNK really and Atlus are really hitting this out of the park. I hope it does well because they certainly deserve it.
It's really nice to see SNK learn from their retarded mistakes with XII.

GrayFoxPL

Is it just me or the console release looks quite bit better then arcade?

Something about the sprites looking more crisp, less blurry. Same with backgrounds.

SAB CA said:
Not just "Mash crouching hard punch until the time is up!" kinda thing which I really hadn't seen in years... my sisters got better than that from playing SFII aganist me years ago, so, err...

Damn, SAB CA going in on dem scrubs

Theonik

I decided to pay for my ShopTo pre-order just now. Can't stop the hypetrain.
PS3. Thinking of making myself a USB Saturn pad for this and Rayman.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Shadow780 said:
Folks, PS3 or 360?

I'm both.

Both, which is gonna suck if they botch the online play, lol.

thetrin said:
It's really nice to see SNK learn from their retarded mistakes with XII.

I wouldn't say that until we know the netcode is good. Unfortunately.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Lyte Edge said:
Both, which is gonna suck if they botch the online play, lol.
Why dont you wait for some netcode impressions before double dipping?

GrayFoxPL said:

Something about the sprites looking more crisp, less blurry. Same with backgrounds.
It does look 'cleaner' isnt?

thetrin

Lyte Edge said:
I wouldn't say that until we know the netcode is good. Unfortunately.
I won't be playing online, so I wasn't really factoring that in, but fair enough.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GrayFoxPL said:
Yeah, they've put lot of work to make it above arcade perfect.
They should have changed the name: The King Of Fighters XIII UM or something like that.

GrayFoxPL

Fersis said:
They should have changed the name: The King Of Fighters XIII UM or something like that.

True if Namco and Sega call the updated games Evolution, Dark Resurrection etc. then SNKP have right to do the same.

KOF XIII PERFECT

Like World Heroes. :D

Tizoc

Fersis said:
Why? The game has the same characters and is just a rebalance. There's no need to add an additional subtitle to it.
Plus eeing that the arcade ver. will get this update eventually, it further adds to the game not needing a subtitle =V.

BTW, should I get the game before anyone else, don't be hating Fersis >=P

GrayFoxPL

Tizoc said:
Why? The game has the same characters and is just a rebalance. There's no need to add an additional subtitle to it.
Plus eeing that the arcade ver. will get this update eventually, it further adds to the game not needing a subtitle =V.

It has 5(?) new characters, stages, music, modes and rebalanced system.

Namco and Sega does 2 new characters and rebalance and gives it a subtitle. Why not SNKP?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
N4Us said:
FEED ME SEYMOUR

Also getting on 360. Anyone's free to add me on release, just tell me you're GAF first because I lose track of who's who.

Heh, I always enjoyed that winquote. Still use "FEED ME SEYMOUR!" randomly to this day...

GrayFoxPL said:

Part of it I take to be the more HQ background details of the console stages (especially that gorgeous back alley.) There's more static elements in the console stages, but they're even more lovingly rendered.

And probably a refined filter on character sprites, as well. It all is very gorgeous, and I still find myself smiling widely at how crisp and unique it all is.

ViewtifulJC said:
Damn, SAB CA going in on dem scrubs

I'm just trying to relate my expectation levels!! XD It's just a bit sad to see sub-sub-par XIII play, because I think the game really sells itself best, when it's showing off it's systems, to at least some degree.

SNKP's personal vids have bloated my expectations some, too. They REALLY know their game inside-and-out, the way it seems, so it makes such play stick out even more. A shame, as I'm sure the Youtube uploaded vids from official sites reach more casual-cash than SNKP's hyper-japanese, Kanji-filled, Japan-centric releases.

The fan community is doing an awesome job taking up translating these things, but I do wish these logs and actually official translated vids were releasesd to western web sites. They'd do a great job demoing the game at it's best.

Appreciate what we have, and are getting, but always hungry for better and more...

Tizoc said:

SNKP games have gotten new games for less contenet than this game is getting, though. SamSho 3 -> 4, KoF 97 -> 98...

I think the reason they haven't added a subtitle, is because they still view themselves as perfecting the definitive version of 13 itself. This is the game they wants you to see, when you remember the 13th installment.

...which I hope DOES lead to that arcade update. The game deserves a place in JP arcade tourneys, and to get play at A-Cho and such.

Tizoc

GrayFoxPL said:
It has 5(?) new characters, stages, music, modes and rebalanced system.

Namco and Sega does 2 new characters and rebalance and gives it a subtitle. Why not SNKP?
I personally see no reason for that in this case, really =P
...and what the heck do modes have to do with a subtitle for a fighting game?
02UM and 98UM didn't have Story modes =V

GrayFoxPL

Tizoc said:
I personally see no reason for that in this case, really =P
...and what the heck do modes have to do with a subtitle for a fighting game?

Then Namco and Sega shouldn't do it as well.

It's all about pointing out the extra content. We're not getting bare bones KofXIII it's a rich ++ version.

Fersis

Tizoc said:

After XII with all the new content it wouldnt hurt to say that this is a 'special version' of KOFXIII

And nope i wont hate.... but im gonna bitch as usual due my importers geting the game one or two weeks after release.

GrayFoxPL said:

It's all about pointing out the extra content. We're not getting bare bones KofXIII it's a rich ++ version.
Thats what im saying.

Tizoc

GrayFoxPL said:
They can do it if they want to, and SNK could do it if they wanted to as well; but SNK didn't. Why they didn't do it? Prob. because they didn't care or didn't feel half arsed to give it a subtitle.

BadWolf

GrayFoxPL said:

Its the only console version though, this will make it so its the only one and not a Super or AE (which would make it sound like just an update).

This way we have only one KOFXIII, I think thats good.

If they release it in the arcade then they can call it just KOFXIII again and update the version number to 2.0 or something.

Tizoc

SAB CA said:
SNKP games have gotten new games for less contenet than this game is getting, though. SamSho 3 -> 4, KoF 97 -> 98...

I think the reason they haven't added a subtitle, is because they still view themselves as perfecting the definitive version of 13 itself. This is the game they wants you to see, when you remember the 13th installment.
I'd still remember it even if this was 1.1.
No offense, but there's not point in trying to rationalize why SNK didn't add a subtitle to this release; if they WANTED to they would have done. If not then it's put simply, their decision.

...which I hope DOES lead to that arcade update. The game deserves a place in JP arcade tourneys, and to get play at A-Cho and such.
I'm pretty sure KoF XIII pops up at Gameacho from time to time
IN FACT, They put up some KoF XIII matches a few days ago-
http://www.youtube.com/user/GAMEacho#g/u

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tizoc said:
I'd still remember it even if this was 1.1.
No offense, but there's not point in trying to rationalize why SNK didn't add a subtitle to this release; if they WANTED to they would have done. If not then it's put simply, their decision.

You just like saying "No offense", lol. Anywho, it's as worthwhile to fathom on, as to why they originally said "Console will offer no new gameplay content!" and then later came with what they have now (thought to partially be an answer to the Arcade Dump leak, just like it was with BBCS.)

It's easy to say "It's just what they decided!"... but this is a discussion forum. We discuss things... Gotta have something to do in between trailers and new gameplay!

I'm pretty sure KoF XIII pops up at Gameacho from time to time
IN FACT, They put up some KoF XIII matches a few days ago-
http://www.youtube.com/user/GAMEacho#g/u

That's exactly why I was saying it, lol. I even commented on it there :) Console Edition balances deserve to be played and shown by such players, that's what I was getting at. We've seen what arcadegoers do with their K' and Raiden's... and in that new vid, with their Maxima and Yuri. I'd love to see how well that Maxima player there, would use his new GuardPoint Cancel... of what his Yuri would get out of Super Cancellable Hyakuretsu Binta.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'd WANT to go back to 2k2UM Maxima, after getting used to the new XIII version...

Fersis

SAB CA said:
It's easy to say "It's just what they decided!"... but this is a discussion forum. We discuss things... Gotta have something to do in between trailers and new gameplay!
I want an iPlaywinner pre release stream!! Make it happen Atlus!

GrayFoxPL

Snkp is asking on facebook for your picks on theoretical KOF vs Tekken or SNK vs Aksys crossovers.

Are they thinking of something or just playing a pissing game?

_dementia said:
Apparently KOF'02 UM is more popular in Japanese arcades than 13 as per the Arcadia rankings. Crazy stuff.

Nothing crazy about it .
Many people including me said a while back SNK needs to build on KOF13 .
The system is really good so they don't need to change it around , what they need is old chars back .
While 30+ is good for a fighting game both 98um and 2002um have over 50 plus chars .
When you look at it KOF13 missing half the cast .

GrayFoxPL said:
Snkp is asking on facebook for your picks on theoretical KOF vs Tekken or SNK vs Aksys crossovers.

I hope they not pissing people off still i would love a KOF vs Aksys .

Fersis

GrayFoxPL said:

KOF vs Tekken

ArcSys designs dont deserve to be near SNK characters.
</Design_Snob>

BTW do you have a link to that page?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
GrayFoxPL said:

*Warning Glaxxion"

Their own Info Page said:
Information

Description This is an unofficial page for SNK Playmore.
It has nothing to do with them, it's just a fanmade page to hype them up some (which is appreciated.)

That said, I'd like to see SNKP's take on ASW designs. A lot of ASW employees are former SNK, no? Though I don't think it should be limited to 1 series... just pit characters who deserve to fight each other VS eash other, like Hanzo / Galford VS Bang, Tager VS Maxima, or Anji Mito VS Mai (lol). SNKP making a better animation / fleshed out game, while ASW makes a higher res, more crazy game... it could be interesting, though I know which mashup I'd vastly prefer.

GrayFoxPL

SAB CA said:
*Warning Glaxxion"

It has nothing to do with them, it's just a fanmade page to hype them up some (which is appreciated.)

That said, I'd like to see SNKP's take on ASW designs. A lot of ASW employees are former SNK, no? Though I don't think it should be limited to 1 series... just pit characters who deserve to fight each other VS eash other, like Hanzo / Galford VS Bang, Tager VS Maxima, or Anji Mito VS Mai (lol). SNKP making a better animation / fleshed out game, while ASW makes a higher res, more crazy game... it could be interesting, though I know which mashup I'd vastly prefer.

Seriously? Wow, sorry.

I added them as it was linked as an official source in one of kofxiii articles. Never thought about checking it out throughout.

Deleting this shit.

Top Bottom