• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Alright, I've got the game and I'm putting in time learning KOF for the first time. A couple of things that I've found out from being a "started with SFIV" player.

• I over rotate and cheat on half circle motions. Doing the DMs that require like qcb + hcf or double hcf are pretty much totally impossible for me right now as I'm too used to doing something like a hcf as db, d, df, f, uf + button.
  • I'm also used to holding up after I jump, so the various hops are hard to get down. I'm getting better with a quick joystick flick so I can see learning this soon, but it's going to take some time.
  • You can totally zone in this game, but it's a really different beast from zoning in SF4. Both the running and hyperjumps can close ground so quickly if you mistime things even a little bit.

Love the game though, it oozes style. Apparently one of the first three character that I wanted to start learning (Leona) is Dan-tier. No problem for me though, I like playing low-tier and the wins are going to be hard starting out no matter who I pick. Also the color editor is way more fun then it should be, I've totally coordinated my team in blue / white duds.

Alright, I've got the game and I'm putting in time learning KOF for the first time. A couple of things that I've found out from being a "started with SFIV" player.

• I over rotate and cheat on half circle motions. Doing the DMs that require like qcb + hcf or double hcf are pretty much totally impossible for me right now as I'm too used to doing something like a hcf as db, d, df, f, uf + button.
  • I'm also used to holding up after I jump, so the various hops are hard to get down. I'm getting better with a quick joystick flick so I can see learning this soon, but it's going to take some time.
  • You can totally zone in this game, but it's a really different beast from zoning in SF4. Both the running and hyperjumps can close ground so quickly if you mistime things even a little bit.

Love the game though, it oozes style. Apparently one of the first three character that I wanted to start learning (Leona) is Dan-tier. No problem for me though, I like playing low-tier and the wins are going to be hard starting out no matter who I pick. Also the color editor is way more fun then it should be, I've totally coordinated my team in blue / white duds.

Don't worry about balance in this game, Leona is fine.

Try to hold final direction of motions so supers will come out. Also this might help you.
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/The_King_of_Fighters_XIII/Game_Elements/Command_Interpreter

Edgeward

1) If you continue to have trouble with qcf hcb moves you can use shortcuts to be more like SF moves. Use qcf x 2 then b. The inverse is true if it's qcb hcf.

2) for hops to help get those light quick motions for hops and hyper hops is after hitting up, immediately bring the stick to down forward or down.

Love the game though, it oozes style. Apparently one of the first three character that I wanted to start learning (Leona) is Dan-tier.

I think you're referring to one player's opinion (IIRC that was Bala), and even he doesn't go that far. Most players agree that there's no such thing as Dan-tier in this game.. As for Leona specifically, she might be one of the characters that's best suited to deal with Claw Iori, which is always a plus. The real issue with her is that she's much better at keeping a lead than she is at making comebacks so if you're getting OCV'd it can be harder to turn the tide with her.

Don't worry about balance in this game, Leona is fine.

Try to hold final direction of motions so supers will come out. Also this might help you.
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/The_King_of_Fighters_XIII/Game_Elements/Command_Interpreter

Thanks, holding the final direction was really helpful, reminds me of getting Vega's correct forward direction for EX walldive. Still having some issues, but they are coming out much better now.

I think you're referring to one player's opinion (IIRC that was Bala), and even he doesn't go that far. Most players agree that there's no such thing as Dan-tier in this game.. As for Leona specifically, she might be one of the characters that's best suited to deal with Claw Iori, which is always a plus. The real issue with her is that she's much better at keeping a lead than she is at making comebacks so if you're getting OCV'd it can be harder to turn the tide with her.

Yeah, I don't really care about tier lists, I play whoever I want, and honestly at the level that I'm going to be playing I doubt that tiers for pros really matter at all. I just think it's funny that I seem to have a knack for picking up a game, saying "this character looks cool to play" and getting one of the more limited characters. I've got a nose for it or something.

alstein

Thanks, holding the final direction was really helpful, reminds me of getting Vega's correct forward direction for EX walldive. Still having some issues, but they are coming out much better now.

Yeah, I don't really care about tier lists, I play whoever I want, and honestly at the level that I'm going to be playing I doubt that tiers for pros really matter at all. I just think it's funny that I seem to have a knack for picking up a game, saying "this character looks cool to play" and getting one of the more limited characters. I've got a nose for it or something.

Tiers in KOF are more a function of difficulty then power. Leona is possibly the hardest character to learn, since instant overhead DMs are a huge part of her game, and well as tough charge move HD combos.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Remember guys KOFXIII will be featured in the next MLG event: Jun 8–10, 2012 Anaheim, CA

ugh im starting to fall back on spending meter for counters which barely amount to anything. I did a set at Local Battles today and my opponents characters were just outdamaging mine and fell back on trying to react with supers which only sped up my demise. Its fustrating. Also doesn't help that i was nearly a month out of practice. I feel like i've definitely hit an execution wall that i never seem to get past in this or any other fighter (only exception in recent memory was Blazblue:CT)

Also debating changing my team. Currently its Ralf, Mr. Karate, Ex Iori. I'm thinking of swapping Ralf with Duo Lon. I dun want to get on the Shen/Beni bandwagon, but they're up for consideration as well.

El Sloth

Banned
Re-posting this in all the fighting game threads:

This seems like a good time to post that I just set up what I hope to be a FGC catch-all channel for GAF on IRC:

#gafilluminati (props to Stabby McSter for the name!)

on Dorksnet servers (irc.wiicafe.com, irc.gamecubecafe.com, irc.browsingtheinternet.com))

Mibbit link for those that don't have a chat program:
http://mibbit.com/?channel=#gafilluminati&server=irc.browsingtheinternet.com

I recommend downloading XChat or mIRC though.

It's pretty quiet right now, but it was only literally just made 20 minutes ago. Probably best used during streams, but come and talk about whatever the hell you guys want.

ugh im starting to fall back on spending meter for counters which barely amount to anything. I did a set at Local Battles today and my opponents characters were just outdamaging mine and fell back on trying to react with supers which only sped up my demise. Its fustrating. Also doesn't help that i was nearly a month out of practice. I feel like i've definitely hit an execution wall that i never seem to get past in this or any other fighter (only exception in recent memory was Blazblue:CT)

Also debating changing my team. Currently its Ralf, Mr. Karate, Ex Iori. I'm thinking of swapping Ralf with Duo Lon. I dun want to get on the Shen/Beni bandwagon, but they're up for consideration as well.

Elizabeth has the easiest 4 bar HD combo. Does like 900+ too.

I believe Local Battles will be streaming KOF 13 tonight at Drive Cancel. I'll be there and i may be commentating as well. Any locals that can turn up would be great as this is a new thing and we want this thing to catch on. hope to see some of you in stream chat!

Thanks to whoever tuned in. Obv looked free against Marco, but gotta improve and whatnot, both in the game and on the mic. Tune in next week. hopefully with no big tourneys at the same time so we have more variety of players.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I just saw a user in a chinese gaming forum thats our |OT| banner as signature.
Thats pretty dope.

Entered a 2on2 team tourney at Stunfest XII Saturday and made it to losers quarter finals. Pretty good considering I got more playtime with King during the event itself than before it. XD

Anyway, people here in France seem to really enjoy KOF XIII, with players who were playing SSFIV for lack of anything else finally back to their series of choice.

So how does one normally deal with a drunk Hwa, it seems it he completely invincible during the super.

There's a short recovery during which he can get hit after drinking, but it's really risky to attempt to punish him. While he's drunk, projectiles are a no-no, and dp+B becomes really hard to punish at some distances so you really need to make it count every time you block it or he'll get away with spamming it for free mix-ups/huge damage if they have drive. Basically just play keep away (mainly because his instant grab DM does ridiculous damage while drunk) and go for hard knockdowns if you can to waste his time.

Dandy J

So how does one normally deal with a drunk Hwa, it seems he is completely invincible during the super.
theres invincibility, but right after he lands theres recovery, but not too much. to give an idea, CD xx drink on block is only punishable by the fastest level 2 rush supers, and its very awkward to buffer them even if youre ready for it. when the super is active, just block and maybe try not to get super grabbed or guard broken. the dp is the entire threat of drunk mode, but it is punishable. he can 1f grab you but as long as you dont get put in a tight guessing game, you can jump around a bit and the anti air dp usually cant lead into the loop combo as an anti air. if someone drinks + raw activates its mostly a gimmick, just run the fuck away and never attack, never ever ever attack

theres invincibility, but right after he lands theres recovery, but not too much. to give an idea, CD xx drink on block is only punishable by the fastest level 2 rush supers, and its very awkward to buffer them even if youre ready for it. when the super is active, just block and maybe try not to get super grabbed or guard broken. the dp is the entire threat of drunk mode, but it is punishable. he can 1f grab you but as long as you dont get put in a tight guessing game, you can jump around a bit and the anti air dp usually cant lead into the loop combo as an anti air. if someone drinks + raw activates its mostly a gimmick, just run the fuck away and never attack, never ever ever attack

I was hoping there was some way punish the startup that I am not getting, but I guess that kinda isn't the case. Thanks.

The thread is so barren.

Nyoro SF

Not much to talk about til the next major.

Also people are trying to troll me online when there's like 7 people active... do you really want to try to make such such a small online playerbase feel unwelcome? I don't think I'll ever understand that.

Not much to talk about til the next major.

Also people are trying to troll me online when there's like 7 people active... do you really want to try to make such such a small online playerbase feel unwelcome? I don't think I'll ever understand that.

Douchebags online are really a sad truth.

I posted this in the general streaming thread but will post here as well for a friendly bump to the good ol KOF thread.

A friendly reminder that Local Battles will be streaming Drive Cancel KOF Casuals at 8pm EST. this evening at www.twitch.tv/localbattles. I will most likely be commentating again as well as playing.

alstein

already am :) that's why i'd like to see more pointers in this one.

Advice- most advice you see is from dreamcancel, but I think even over there strategy advice can be lacking. The big reason I love KOF is the strategic depth combined with gimmickry (XIII takes away from both of those somewhat with how it works, but it's still there more then any other modern 2d fighter)

I just wish this game had better netcode so it wouldn't be dying online. Skullgirls also took a good chunk out of the American playerbase (deservedly so, but I just don't like Skullgirls- it's great at what it does, I just don't like what it does, so I'm not hating on the game)

Advice- most advice you see is from dreamcancel, but I think even over there strategy advice can be lacking. The big reason I love KOF is the strategic depth combined with gimmickry (XIII takes away from both of those somewhat with how it works, but it's still there more then any other modern 2d fighter)

I just wish this game had better netcode so it wouldn't be dying online. Skullgirls also took a good chunk out of the American playerbase (deservedly so, but I just don't like Skullgirls- it's great at what it does, I just don't like what it does, so I'm not hating on the game)

did you misquote? i'm kinda lost, heh.

anyway, i didn't notice skullgirls launched. it's not my type of game anyway. the visual direction isn't my thing either.

So I just played a little KOF 98 since I left my PS3 at home, and fuck, KOF XIII isn't anywhere near as hard input wise as that game. I couldn't get supers to come out a good number of the time.

Fun game once you get use to things, though. It is really interesting just how different that game is compared to XIII. Jumps especially.

So I just played a little KOF 98 since I left my PS3 at home, and fuck, KOF XIII isn't anywhere near as hard input wise as that game. I couldn't get supers to come out a good number of the time.

Fun game once you get use to things, though. It is really interesting just how different that game is compared to XIII. Jumps especially.

Ive never played 2002 but people say that 2002 is even harder.

alstein

98 is still the most popular KOF in China, and in my heart.

If UM was on GGPO somehow I wouldn't even bother with other 2d fighters. Game was so good.

News from the Dream Cancel website reports that top Arcade KOF player Karou made a recent return and declared that he was going to EVO for KOF XIII. also been hearing musings at the dream cancel forums that KOF XIII is the 3rd most entrants for EVO at the moment

Fersis

News from the Dream Cancel website reports that top Arcade KOF player Karou made a recent return and declared that he was going to EVO for KOF XIII. also been hearing musings at the dream cancel forums that KOF XIII is the 3rd most entrants for EVO at the moment
Mr Wizard confirmed it and he also wore a KOFXIII shirt on Cross Counter Live!

GooeyHeat

Why do I never see anyone playing Raiden? I'm trying to learn him, but almost everything I see of him was from arcade where people didn't play as Raiden; they played as Raiden's Super Drop Kicks.

Why do I never see anyone playing Raiden? I'm trying to learn him, but almost everything I see of him was from arcade where people didn't play as Raiden; they played as Raiden's Super Drop Kicks.

What can I say, we like that easy mode. You try looking up Mr.KOF's Raiden from MLG.

I think Climax is suppose to be out right now in Japan?

Why do I never see anyone playing Raiden?

Probably because Clark and Vice are just as good as grapplers while being easier to use and having been overall buffed from their 1.1 counterparts. I'm pretty sure the character is still great and worth playing though, if only for that close D/far D and the tackle being so hard to punish.

BadWolf

Probably because Clark and Vice are just as good as grapplers while being easier to use and having been overall buffed from their 1.1 counterparts. I'm pretty sure the character is still great and worth playing though, if only for that close D/far D and the tackle being so hard to punish.

The move is free to lows

The move is free to lows

I mean on block, where it usually puts out of range of your fastest attacks. If you're talking about attempting to interrupt then yes.

Climax partial change log, video covering simplified inputs, command partitioning and more.

Shen
- Shen will no longer receive a counter hit penalty when he's hit during his Far C.
- Shen will gain some power meter when he bounces off anything stronger than an EX projectile with his Danken.(Projectile parry)

Ralf
- Fixed issue where Ralf and Raiden's positions will change and command has be input in reverse when doing Bareback Vulcan (DM) > MAX Cancel >NEOMAX.

Saiki
- Fixed Normal throw so that it no longer raises the opponent's meters.

Benimaru
- Fixed issue where doing cl.D>HD bypass will make the characters switch position when the opponent is facing back.

Billy
- Took out invincibility on HD bypass.

Raiden
- Changed damage on short hop & hyper hop C from 72 to 70.

Flame Iori
- Fixed issue where MAX canceling too late from normal Maiden Masher wouldn't target lock the NEOMAX.
- Changed input frames for canceling from Maiden Masher.
- Fixed issue where repeatedly blocking low would display his standing block for a split moment.

Hwa
- Changed cr.B so that it can be HD bypassed

Video showing break AB punishes an other stuff

Top Bottom