• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

If you guys want to get a extra copy and spread the awesomeness the game is 30$ again today on amazon, and I am guessing you can still get the 4 disc ost with it.

-Mikey-

Do you have to play through story mode or anything to get access to the DLC characters? I bought Mr. Karate but he isn't showing up in the character select screen.

shaowebb

Press select after highlighting the character

Looks like MLG finally uploaded replays of the tournament.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL56A294A4E112420B&feature=plcp

Sooooooooooo good. That Renal/ Bala matchup.

EDIT: God I love Juicebox commentary. Grand finals=Billy yells x100 :D
Great stuff from everyone. Wonderful matches from everyone. Shoutouts to Mr KOF and Bala for the hype grand finals, and to Duc and Romance for all their stuff too. Whole thing was so juicy per match. Really glad to see people getting more into KOF XIII lately and I got to say watching tournies this good really excites me too as a scrub because I really have no idea what sort of stuff to expect from this game at times and I am loving all I am learning and seeing.

Any advice for a guy who likes Vice so far, and characters with good jump ins/rekkas? I'm thinking Kyo, but I have no idea who else I'd enjoy. I'll admit I go for Chin for the sheer wtf of Drunken fist that I've always been addicted to as a practitioner of some of the system, but I got no clue what I'm doing with him. Is he even suited for my preferences? Should I just swap to Yuri or someone else or something?
Yeah, about the bolded...

Also, isn't it a dart? That's what I've always assumed.

Not certain if it was a dart or a kunai but it was fast and unreadable most times. That, the low leg flair kicks, and the lovely pokes with lance and ropedart were the reasons why I really miss Shion. Such a fun character.

BadWolf

Any advice for a guy who likes Vice so far, and characters with good jump ins/rekkas? I'm thinking Kyo, but I have no idea who else I'd enjoy. I'll admit I go for Chin for the sheer wtf of Drunken fist that I've always been addicted to as a practitioner of some of the system, but I got no clue what I'm doing with him. Is he even suited for my preferences? Should I just swap to Yuri or someone else or something?

For Vice its very important to become comfortable with her EX Decide (HCF+BD), it has the anywhere juggle property and can turn any successful air hit or reset into a full combo.

For rekka style characters you may want to try EX Kyo, Kensou (also an excellent zoner), Mature, Duo Lon and maybe EX Iori.

Chin is probably the most technical character in the entire cast (him and Duo Lon imo) and isn't really based around jumpins or rekkas. He has a rather unique style of play and combos when it comes to fighting game characters overall. You may want to look up Kane317's vids on youtube to get an idea of how he's played, the guy has been using him since KOFXII and is easily one of the best with him.

Gandara

Still too chicken to go online. I think I wore out my pad trying to do trials. So far, I think I'll give Andy,Kim and Kensou a shot and see how much I get slaughtered.

king of fighters 98 and 2002 are on sale on xbla for 400 points each. are they worth it? do people still play online? i should i just play kof98 on ggpo?

Shadow780

98UM has shitty netcode, unless you got someone to play locally, avoid.

02UM has OKAY netcode, get it if you can get low ping matches with friends, online traffic is pretty barren.

98UM has shitty netcode, unless you got someone to play locally, avoid.

02UM has OKAY netcode, get it if you can get low ping matches with friends, online traffic is pretty barren.

i think i'll stick to ggpo haha. every single other snk game i have on xbla is a wasteland nowadays. i would do so much to play fatal fury special again haha

Still too chicken to go online. I think I wore out my pad trying to do trials. So far, I think I'll give Andy,Kim and Kensou a shot and see how much I get slaughtered.

You probably will end up having a better win rate than me anyways. Though to be perfectly honest, I think you will get better at the game if you just keep playing and not get scared or discouraged of better players.

shaowebb

Don't expect anything online, but imo 2002UM is worth it as a hyperbolic time chamber of execution.

Plus as stated before, its a game that has the ability to perform "The People's Elbow" as a move that does nearly half their health in damage with the character Angel.

So many good cast members in that game. Had nearly everyone.

Nyoro SF

Im like 1 and 22. I dont see what the big deal is.

You must train some more. Even though I'm like 75% scrub I have around a 40% win rate.

One thing about Kula. I was watching the MAD footage carefully and it looks like if you do Ice Tatsu D version and end with the projectile the only thing you can punish her with are DPs and EX supers. This true? Or is there a gap between when she lands and when she throws her skate upwards?

Tizoc

Hypothetical question:
Say SNK releases 02UM to PS3 with oh say GGPO or a good netcode, would KoF XIII be 'dropped' in favour of it? At least as far as PS3 is concerned.

BadWolf

One thing about Kula. I was watching the MAD footage carefully and it looks like if you do Ice Tatsu D version and end with the projectile the only thing you can punish her with are DPs and EX supers. This true? Or is there a gap between when she lands and when she throws her skate upwards?

There is a gap between the special and the followup. Not just command grabs and moves with invincibility will interrupt her but a regular throw (since its 1-frame) and even a well timed jab will do the trick as well.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hypothetical question:
Say SNK releases 02UM to PS3 with oh say GGPO or a good netcode, would KoF XIII be 'dropped' in favour of it? At least as far as PS3 is concerned.

I'd damn sure drop XIII (not that I play it that much anyway, though). 02UM on PS3 is like my dream.

alstein

Hypothetical question:

I think the game would be dropped online but both games would get offline play.

KOFXIII is a top-tier KOF, despite it not being everything old-schoolers want and not being perfect.

I'd rather see 98UM Hero Edition- it's less like XIII then 02UM, and has better balance (since Krauser is nerfed in that version, and I think Kasumi is buffed)

My reasons:

98 was more about basics and fundamentals, since it didn't have a ton of combo extenders. UM added extra-mode MAX-cancelling, but you gave up something to get that.

Also, I like the oldschool roster and oldschool movesets better: Maxima's awesome, but I'd rather have the Sports Heroes, Geese, Big, Eiji, Kasumi and Krauser.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I think the game would be dropped online but both games would get offline play.

KOFXIII is a top-tier KOF, despite it not being everything old-schoolers want and not being perfect.

I'd rather see 98UM Hero Edition- it's less like XIII then 02UM, and has better balance (since Krauser is nerfed in that version, and I think Kasumi is buffed)

My reasons:

98 was more about basics and fundamentals, since it didn't have a ton of combo extenders. UM added extra-mode MAX-cancelling, but you gave up something to get that.

Also, I like the oldschool roster and oldschool movesets better: Maxima's awesome, but I'd rather have the Sports Heroes, Geese, Big, Eiji, Kasumi and Krauser.

Geese and Kasumi are in 2002UM.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
New Blog Post translated by MMCafe Professor:
MMCafe Professor said:
This week's blog update is pretty much just a how-to-use-Ash guide.

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiii/blog/archives/2012/04/post_65.html

Quick translations-

-The basic strategy for Ash is shooting projectiles and AAing with his flash kick. Use that as his fundamental while setting his kiss flame and using his cr.B so that the opponent can't get in.

-Ash can AA his opponent in most situations if they jump after seeing his projectile, so the likelyhood is that they'll jump on read, so doing feints, such as whiffing a cr.A and doing an AA, is important.

-His B flash kick has fast startup out fast but invinvibility is short so it can trade hits, while his D flash kick has long invincibility but has a slow startup so it might not hit on time. The B version should be done early, while the D button version should be done so that it hits around its roots. Also use j.B for air-to-air.

-Projectiles and AAing can get shut down if the opponent has stock, so it's most effective to use him on point. If you want to use him as second or anchor, be sure they're using characters that his projectiles are effective.

-However, if Ash is used as second or Anchor, he can fight in a different style be using his San Culotte, so he's not limited to just being a point character. It takes some training, but it can be used as an AA that punishes most jump-ins.

-If you can't combo his flash kick from a back +B or +D, it's due to one of the following reasons-
1. you're not charging fast enough
2. you're trying to cancel the back +B or D
3. you're too far away when doing the flash kick

Solutions:
1. You're probably charging after hit confirm. Start charging before his back +B or D animation begins. Also, doing the flash kick and holding down on its button during his back +B or +D animation motion will let you execute the flash kick at the earliest timing. This input method to get the earliest timing also works when doing combos for other characters.

2. Link the flash kick using the "earliest timing " method stated above.

3. Train and figure out the distance where it can hit. Also remember that you don't have to do it if you think you're too far.

Speaking of the legendary Professor he has a twitter now! Follow him @MC_Professor

You must train some more. Even though I'm like 75% scrub I have around a 40% win rate.

Im not concerned about my record. I posted that for the people who are afraid to play online.

Top Bottom