• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

BadWolf

Stongly recommend everybody to watch the final 4 for KOF XIII at Shadaloo Showdown at http://www.twitch.tv/shadowloohq/b/317288015 (2h 46min in) with Xiahoai, Dakou, Poongko, and Tokido. Possible preview for Anaheim/EVO and overall great play

The grand final was probably the most intense I've seen for the game yet. I love how it was more about movement and footsies than just combos. If you want to see high level KOF footsies then watch this.

Tokido was so good, he's just an excellent all around player.

I really liked how Xiaohai stuck to his guns and took the time to take apart Tokido's play style instead of running to character select, like a lot of NA players do. By the end of it he had Tokido pretty much completely downloaded.

They said that Dakou started playing sometime in April but Xiaohai started earlier and put in a lot of time, it definitely showed. Overall though I felt like he won due to extremely strong fundamentals, it looked like he really knew KOF, not KOFXIII in particular. His combos for the most part were pretty simple. This was the opposite of Tokido.

Don't think Poongko plays this game much, found his play disappointing,

alstein

Dakou and Xaiohai started with 98 (maybe even earlier), the game that required the most KOF fundamentals.

They occasionally appeared on GGPO 98 as well in the past.

BadWolf

Yeah I know who they are, which is why I was really looking forward to their performance. I meant XIII when I was referring to the time they put in.

The problem for them will be if they come across someone like Bala, who not only has strong fundamentals and very high level of execution but very indepth knowledge of XIII and its mechanics as well.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Late to the party but you can link Kim's Far D into C
I thought you could only link it with cr.LK

BadWolf

Late to the party but you can link Kim's Far D into C
I thought you could only link it with cr.LK

Yeah, both cr. B and cl.C have 4 frame startup.

cr.B is preferred because you can combo it into a st.B and hit confirm the link before proceeding into a finisher, so you rarely see cl.C used.

-hadouken

Apparently the netcode is better than console.

Incredibly, the AI is smarter/better in the iOS version too. I'd love to love XIII, though online is unplayable here in Oz, and the offline AI is unbearably easy/silly. Despite having the ability to technically up the difficulty, it almost feels like SNKP didn't actually code it into the game.

Can't play XIII online - can't play offline. What a waste of great assets. :-(

alstein

The character hasn't been dominating yet though I think, Reynald's gets beat regularly and even in this grand final Tokido's got shutdown by Billy.

In the right hands regular Takuma can be more dangerous imo.

Regular Tak takes insane execution, even by KOF standards, so Karate's more popular. Getting your stuff comparatively easy is what makes chars in KOF popular (seeing a user of a hard-execution char in KOF is about as rare as seeing a Viper in SF)

Dandy J

mr karate is awesome

also the execution is subjective, i actually think takumas combo parts other than ex grab into hop d are easier than mr karates very annoying hd combo

Onemic

Regular Tak takes insane execution, even by KOF standards, so Karate's more popular. Getting your stuff comparatively easy is what makes chars in KOF popular (seeing a user of a hard-execution char in KOF is about as rare as seeing a Viper in SF)

so who are these 'easy' characters and ones that require crazy execution? I tried Takuma and definitely see where the execution problem comes in.

so who are these 'easy' characters and ones that require crazy execution? I tried Takuma and definitely see where the execution problem comes in.

Clark is easy as long as you don't go for that Vulcan Punch start-up cancel thing.
King isn't much trouble either.

What are you referring to with respect to Takuma, cl.C f+B db~f+D?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
More KOFXIII Climax changes (Thanks to the godlike MMCafe Professor):
MMCafe Professor said:
According to top player Skye(Justius) from Singapore who's had his hands on KOF13 Climax for the past few days, he says there's been a few balance changes from the console version. He's found two thus far, and there's probably more. [Thanks to Orphen for the news.]

1. Damage on some moves for Nests Kyo have been toned down.
2. The renda/rapid cancel on K's low B needs to be input with slightly more delay. It's plausible that the move comes out slower now. Can still be done 3 times.

Or you could make your own posts instead of "fixing" mine as if to mock me. It's not like I went on some excessive rant to warrant this.

I just don't get the reasoning behind the nerf when Karate is supposedly left untouched (according to what I've been told earlier this week, anyway).

BadWolf

Or you could make your own posts instead of "fixing" mine as if to mock me. It's not like I went on some excessive rant to warrant this.

I just don't get the reasoning behind the nerf when Karate is supposedly left untouched (according to what I've been told earlier this week, anyway).

Woah, I didn't mean to offend you or anything.

My bad.

Anyway, a character like EX Kyo who has such relentless and really safe pressure shouldn't have solid damage output.

Onemic

Clark is easy as long as you don't go for that Vulcan Punch start-up cancel thing.
King isn't much trouble either.

What are you referring to with respect to Takuma, cl.C f+B db~f+D?

Yup I find it impossible to do. Same with K's j.C, st.C(1), qcf+A, f+D, qcb+D, qcb+D (whiff), dp+A

BadWolf

The whiff to DP specifically. The whiff is hard enough to do by itself, adding the DP in makes it impossible for me.

Make sure you aren't doing things too fast. Do the first qcb+K normally and just do the second when it connects.

As for the DP, the moment you do the slide just input the dp motion, hit A and hold A.

What will happen is that when you hold A the game will register the dp+A motion and repeat it for 5 frames. As a result, K' will immediately go into the dp at the first frame possible after he finishes his slide.

Onemic

Make sure you aren't doing things too fast. Do the first qcb+K normally and just do the second when it connects.

As for the DP, the moment you do the slide just input the dp motion, hit A and hold A.

What will happen is that when you hold A the game will register the dp+A motion and repeat it for 5 frames. As a result, K' will immediately go into the dp at the first frame possible after he finishes his slide.

It more of a problem with the DP than anything else. The slide just comes so damn quick that I cant input the dp motion in time before the animation is finished. As soon as I input the qcb motion I need to immediately go to the DP motion, which I just cant do at the speed that it requires me to do it at. Its ok though. My team of robert/andy/iori is serving me quite well right now and even if I did get it I wouldn't replace any of them with K', they're all too much fun to use.

Only Climax EX Kyo vid I could find was just the guy getting his ass handed to him without doing much of anything. Fuck that shit. If no one does it until we get the game in my area I'll just have to check and write stuff down myself.

BadWolf

It more of a problem with the DP than anything else. The slide just comes so damn quick that I cant input the dp motion in time before the animation is finished. As soon as I input the qcb motion I need to immediately go to the DP motion, which I just cant do at the speed that it requires me to do it at.

You may be doing it too fast, you aren't canceling the slide but juggling after it so you don't have to input it before the slide's animation is finished, you can watch K' finish the slide and input the motion for it to combo.

You would only have to do it that fast if you were trying to drive cancel the slide.

Onemic

You may be doing it too fast, you aren't canceling the slide but juggling after it so you don't have to input it before the slide's animation is finished, you can watch K' finish the slide and input the motion for it to combo.

You would only have to do it that fast if you were trying to drive cancel the slide.

Ah. Well now my problem comes in the DP coming out too late. Guess I have to watch some videos of the combo in action.

Onemic

You can see it here at 27s, before he goes into a longer combo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH1dlB8YS28

THANKS! finally got the combo today. a lot of the error came from me merely pressing the wrong buttons at the wrong time rather than pure speed. In fact when I finally got it I didn't have to input the moves nearly as fast as when I was barely getting half the combo. hmmm I don't know what to do with K' now though. I sorta wanna place him on my team but I already have three guys I'm already comfortable with in Robert,Andy, and Iori. would a team of K', Andy, and Iori be good?

I really hate losing to back roll and DP spam. I really do.

In other news, we can look forward to a very international KOF tournament. Taiwan's and Chile's best players will be going to Evo according to Dream Cancel.

Also, I am finally done with school for the semester, so I am available for games, if you don't mind a mediocre player.

I am on PSN, btw.

Nyoro SF

I really hate losing to back roll and DP spam. I really do.

In other news, we can look forward to a very international KOF tournament. Taiwan's and Chile's best players will be going to Evo according to Dream Cancel.

Also, I am finally done with school for the semester, so I am available for games, if you don't mind a mediocre player.

Are you on XBL?

Top Bottom