• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

I roll under Andy's fireballs. Hating on that hoe cause I'm the best. Andy can't you see? Fall back away from me. It's just Chin and the roll in the vip. Drinking from the left. Drinking from the right. Cause when you use dat drunken master gotta do it right.
ChinGentsai3.gif
chi-rollin.gif

Man, I'm so rusty at this. That's what happens when I drop the game until my arcade gets Climax -.- I'm playing again because my local group is gonna start some KoFXIII ranbats next Saturday, so I need to train.

Could someone give me some tips and combos for EX Kyo?

Man, I'm so rusty at this. That's what happens when I drop the game until my arcade gets Climax -.- I'm playing again because my local group is gonna start some KoFXIII ranbats next Saturday, so I need to train.

Dream Cancel or the SRK wiki should help you with that.

Combos you'll find where you usually do, as stated above, check youtube for variations if you like.

As for other stuff...

-cr.B to close C is easier than with regular Kyo and worth learning
-after landing j.2C, you can run up to them and still apply pressure/combo
-chain cancelling st.B into st.A actually makes you move a little forward
-st.CD gives you some advantage on block
-if you expect them to GCCD on a grounded normal, cancelling it into qcf+C will usually let you guardpoint that and hit them instead
-some blockstrings that allow you to get your first rekka block from as far as possible when starting from point blank:

-cr.B cr.B st.B qcf+A
-cl.C f+B qcf+A
-maybe j.CD st.CD qcf+A, not sure about that one

-the punch rekka ender is not only a hard knockdown, it forces the exact same get-up speed for every character

N4Us

STA KOF happening again tomorrow. Granted there's heavy streaming competition this weekend but it does look like UFGT KOF ends around the time STA starts.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
CEO Jebailey said:
I also have a nice announcement for the #KOF13 community to make on Cc live tonight. Stay tuned Mexico and everyone else!
Players reveal!

alstein

Always up for more Power Instinct streaming.

Yeah, the game looks like KOF some, but it isn't KOF.

(I like some aspects of it better)

Nyoro SF

List of characters I come across the most online:

1) King
2) Clark
3) Mature
4) Kyo
5) Takuma

SO MANY KINGS. WTF is going on? Should I try this character to see what's up?

Damage scales terribly on it though and you need the corner.

Indeed, the whole thing is about 60% or so for 2 meters (talking about the basic loop, not the version involving Venom Strikes). Using a single drive cancel is generally more efficient. When I activate mid-screen I usually just repeat st.D slide into neomax.

Anyway, I'm starting to think Karate/Hwa Jai/Claw Iori in that order might be the best team in the game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Bala may be the best KOF player right now.
EVO is gonna be madness.

Yesterday I finally had the chance to go to our weekly ranbats...I ended up in like the top 8.

I wish that said something about how good I am, but it only says how much most of the guys here suck >__>

Yesterday I finally had the chance to go to our weekly ranbats...I ended up in like the top 8.

I wish that said something about how good I am, but it only says how much most of the guys here suck >__>

As long as people like the game enough and want to get better, I don't think you should be too concerned.

Just out of curiously, where do you live?

As long as people like the game enough and want to get better, I don't think you should be too concerned.

Oh, definitely, it just felt weird to see them suck at it when they're pretty good at SF and Marvel and it breaks the "Mexicans are good at KoF" stereotype XD It was mostly to comment that they REALLY need the practice.

I'm in Guadalajara btw.

alstein

This game has some areas where players are terrible, and some where players are real good.

The UFGT8 top 8 looked no better then one of our local tourneys.

Fersis

I wish i had someone to play with it. :(
I met a guy who lives nearby but he doesnt want to play offline. (With the crime rate we have i understand his decision)

Someday ill move to California just for the FGC. :-3

A Duo Lon,Vice,Takuma team(Duncan) won Northwest Majors 4

ScOULaris

Alright, I need some help.

I picked up KOF XIII last week, and I have been grinding it out trying to improve at this game. I am about Intermediate skill level at SSF4, 3SO, Guilty Gear Series, Mortal Kombat... etc. I have been playing fighting games all my life, and more often than not my fundamentals alone can carry me in the early stages of a new game until I get some combos and muscle memory in place.

But this game just plays so differently from anything that I'm used to. Would someone mind sharing their thoughts on a few of these questions that have been plaguing me during this first week with the game?

1. Why do I feel like I am constantly at a frame disadvantage? In any Street Fighter game, I feel like I have several options for stopping or countering the other player's pressure. In KOFXIII, even my quickest normals are constantly getting beaten by everything, even after I've blocked what looks like a special move that should leave them at a disadvantage. This results in me constantly trying to counter on wake-up, only to get combo'ed into oblivion every time I press a button. And if I try to simply block, they bombard me with overheads or normals that always seem to leave them at a frame advantage. What the hell?
  2. Does everything trade in his game? Maybe it's my SF mindset getting the best of me, but it seems like very few moves have priority over others. If I try to counter an opponents attack with one of my own, it almost always trades. Because of this, I am having a very hard time deciding how to counter the relentless pressure that the online competition likes to apply.

I know that this game has a high execution requirement, and I'm realistic in regard to how competitive I will become. As a married, working adult, I simply don't have the time to dedicate to developing insanely damaging combos and setups. That being said, I'd at least like to figure out how to play this game on a fundamental level.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Well, I'm off to get bodied for the millionth time. :(

Alright, I need some help.

I picked up KOF XIII last week, and I have been grinding it out trying to improve at this game. I am about Intermediate skill level at SSF4, 3SO, Guilty Gear Series, Mortal Kombat... etc. I have been playing fighting games all my life, and more often than not my fundamentals alone can carry me in the early stages of a new game until I get some combos and muscle memory in place.

But this game just plays so differently from anything that I'm used to. Would someone mind sharing their thoughts on a few of these questions that have been plaguing me during this first week with the game?

1. Why do I feel like I am constantly at a frame disadvantage? In any Street Fighter game, I feel like I have several options for stopping or countering the other player's pressure. In KOFXIII, even my quickest normals are constantly getting beaten by everything, even after I've blocked what looks like a special move that should leave them at a disadvantage. This results in me constantly trying to counter on wake-up, only to get combo'ed into oblivion every time I press a button. And if I try to simply block, they bombard me with overheads or normals that always seem to leave them at a frame advantage. What the hell?
  2. Does everything trade in his game? Maybe it's my SF mindset getting the best of me, but it seems like very few moves have priority over others. If I try to counter an opponents attack with one of my own, it almost always trades. Because of this, I am having a very hard time deciding how to counter the relentless pressure that the online competition likes to apply.

I know that this game has a high execution requirement, and I'm realistic in regard to how competitive I will become. As a married, working adult, I simply don't have the time to dedicate to developing insanely damaging combos and setups. That being said, I'd at least like to figure out how to play this game on a fundamental level.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Well, I'm off to get bodied for the millionth time. :(

No it really isn't that hard. Don't let the trials fool you. Remember to hold down the last direction of inputs.

Also just watch this tutorial, it will teach you the basics of KOF.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3KVgI1LvU

Dream Cancel and SRK also have wikis that can get you started on more character specific things like combos.

Fersis

Just read that
Bala
won as expected.

Gunsmith thinks that Arturo is a Capcom guy set to destroy the KOF community or something like that.
I admit being biased but from what i know KOF was part of MLG Anaheim thanks to Art pushing hard for it.

The reasoning comes off as childish though. Was does some random interview have anything to do with KOF's poor attendance at MLG?

N4Us

Reminder that STA ranbats are again today. Tune in if nothing else is going on in a couple hours or so

twitch.tv/iplaywinner

Onemic

Using K' I'm practicing his BnB combo (j.C, st.C(1), qcf+A, f+D, qcb+D, qcb+D (whiff), dp+A) But am having a much easier time having the combo connect starting with j.D instead of j.C. The downside to this is that the combo does 299dmg instead of 301dmg. Do you know of any other downsides of starting the combo with j.D instead of j.C? Should I just try and stick with starting it with j.C?

Oh, and is this team compatible at all? Andy/Iori/K'

Using K' I'm practicing his BnB combo (j.C, st.C(1), qcf+A, f+D, qcb+D, qcb+D (whiff), dp+A) But am having a much easier time having the combo connect starting with j.D instead of j.C. The downside to this is that the combo does 299dmg instead of 301dmg. Do you know of any other downsides of starting the combo with j.D instead of j.C? Should I just try and stick with starting it with j.C?

Oh, and is this team compatible at all? Andy/Iori/K'

You can use any of your jump normals to combo, j.a/b are faster and may beat antiairs, but have less hitstun and damage and so it may be harder to combo from those moves. j.c/d have the same value, but most j.ds have better reach and are useful for other things besides jumpins.

Team seems fine. Remember this isn't marvel. You can pick your three favorite character.

BadWolf

Generally speaking jC tends to do about 2 points more damage than jD with most, if not all, of the cast.

Pick whichever is easier for you, 2 points damage is pretty insignificant.

Onemic

Generally speaking jC tends to do about 2 points more damage than jD with most, if not all, of the cast.

Pick whichever is easier for you, 2 points damage is pretty insignificant.

ok sweet, I was hoping for that. J.C requires you to time the hit really late for it to be comboable. j.D is much more lenient.

Hmmm, what's that smell?

The King of Fighters getting its just due.

It took the FGC long enough to no longer dismiss KoF as a 2nd rate Street Fighter.

And the future for the series and SNK in general is looking pretty bright.

Justice has been served.

So in closing I leave you THIS!

Hopefully Climax comes to console really soon!

Onemic

Hmmm, what's that smell?

The King of Fighters getting its just due.

It took the FGC long enough to no longer dismiss KoF as a 2nd rate Street Fighter.

And the future for the series and SNK in general is looking pretty bright.

Justice has been served.

Just like Dream Cancel master class tutorials, this is entirely in Japanese so I can't see how to do any of the combo's. :( Good video though.

Well, while a translation would help, it's not that hard to understand honestly. You just need to learn to identify the attacks used and the visuals will be more than enough. It's not like they wrote anything other than the attack names.

Onemic

Well, while a translation would help, it's not that hard to understand honestly. You just need to learn to identify the attacks used and the visuals will be more than enough. It's not like they wrote anything other than the attack names.

True, I still wish the master class videos had them, sometimes they're not really doing combos and I have no idea what the hell they're trying to show.

After the MLG tourney I've been more motivated towards practicing this game. Too bad KOF will probably never be at MLG ever again, because that tourney was crazy hype.

Only thing that sucks is that I'll always be relegated to playing online as I know no one around my area that plays KOF(Toronto) and the local scene pretty much only plays Capcom fighters. Not that I would be good enough to even compete at the scene level if there was one at this point.

alstein

Some locals in Facebook are saying KOF is getting another shot in Raleigh August 24-26.

No idea if true or not, but if it is, I'm going.

BadWolf

For those that don't know that video is a compilation of combos by SNK themselves, they were posted in their channel during the game's release. The first half is basic and the second is "Maniac" combos where they just go all out.

True, I still wish the master class videos had them, sometimes they're not really doing combos and I have no idea what the hell they're trying to show.

The master class videos aren't really tutorials, they just get a good player to try out a character for the very first time (he has never used the character before). He messes around in practice and just does stuff to experiment. At the end he tackles the trials for the character and tries to go through them as fast as he can.

Only thing that sucks is that I'll always be relegated to playing online as I know no one around my area that plays KOF(Toronto) and the local scene pretty much only plays Capcom fighters. Not that I would be good enough to even compete at the scene level if there was one at this point.

I hear A & C Games in Toronto has gatherings on Mondays for KOFXIII. They are also having a tournament on the 24th of June for the game. Try and check them out, I'm sure you'll be able to meet some regulars to play with.

Onemic

For those that don't know that video is a compilation of combos by SNK themselves, they were posted in their channel during the game's release. The first half is basic and the second is "Maniac" combos where they just go all out.

The master class videos aren't really tutorials, they just get a good player to try out a character for the very first time (he has never used the character before). He messes around in practice and just does stuff to experiment. At the end he tackles the trials for the character and tries to go through them as fast as he can.

I hear A & C Games in Toronto has gatherings on Mondays for KOFXIII. They are also having a tournament on the 24th of June for the game. Try and check them out, I'm sure you'll be able to meet some regulars to play with.

Thanks for the info, hopefully I can get andy,k', and iori's basic BnB's down before the end of the summer so I can check that place out.

Top Bottom