• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Kvik

Most importantly...

JAPANESE VOICE PATCH IS POSSIBLE NOW.

Maybe I'll have to buy the games... for the fourth time... :|

You know, as much as I prefer to play these games in the original JP dub, I think I'll stay with the English dub for the sake of completeness with CS3, and also that Sean Chiplock seems like a nice enough bloke.

I'd love to see JP battlecry mod for 3rd, though, since I played FC/SC with it.

baawwww

how am I gonna find the time to finish CS2

I need to push through so I can get on with 3rd and CS3 guiilt free

Do I zelda or CS2 tomorrow guys?

At least tell me im already through the rough patches of the story

Nyoro SF

baawwww

how am I gonna find the time to finish CS2

I need to push through so I can get on with 3rd and CS3 guiilt free

Do I zelda or CS2 tomorrow guys?

At least tell me im already through the rough patches of the story

Play BOTW for another 100 hours and then wait for CS2 on PC, apply speedhack to skip through parts you already played :)

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Cold Steel on PC is amazing. We're getting close to the point that all the games will be available on PC which I regard as incredibly important given that it's clear that This series could potentially even go on for another console generation before it finishes.
Getting to a place where the titles will all be in one place without them having to worry about porting things up constantly will be a very good thing.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Cold Steel on PC is amazing. We're getting close to the point that all the games will be available on PC which I regard as incredibly important given that it's clear that This series could potentially even go on for another console generation before it finishes.
Getting to a place where the titles will all be in one place without them having to worry about porting things up constantly will be a very good thing.

Well, especially given that we're... what? 60% or so of the way through the planned series when Cold Steel III is out? At least, I recall hearing that. Having all of that in one place is kind of awesome.

preta

Well, especially given that we're... what? 60% or so of the way through the planned series when Cold Steel III is out? At least, I recall hearing that. Having all of that in one place is kind of awesome.

We're 60% of the way through as of now. We know the next arc is Calvard, and I expect there will be one more after that - probably Arteria.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I think another thing with CSI and II coming a CSIII port is likely going to be a given at some point unless CS I+II bomb ultra hard(let's hope not).
Edit: :-x also Ben from EZA(Easy Allies) might hate me for saying this but if enough people tell him that EZA reviewing these games would be totally rad it might give him that little push to make it a side priority giving these games more exposure.
So tweet at him https://twitter.com/BenMoore035 or write in the easy allies gaf thread which they're reading frequently. :p

Squire

Banned
We're 60% of the way through as of now. We know the next arc is Calvard, and I expect there will be one more after that - probably Arteria.

Do we know it's Calvard or is it more that that's the most logical assumption given the current trajectory of the plot?

Psxphile

If I remember correctly Brittany or someone said they look at wishlist numbers on Steam to gauge interest in a title? Figured I'd go ahead and wishlist Trails 3rd even though I'm just gonna buy it Day 1 anyway.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Preorders aren't up on GOG yet, otherwise I'd fork over my $30 today. Like there's any way I'm not buying this as soon as it goes up.

Gu4n

Do we know it's Calvard or is it more that that's the most logical assumption given the current trajectory of the plot?
Kondo mentioned that more than once, so it's a safe assumption at this stage.

Also, yay. So many great developments for this beloved series!

Even more good news.
It seems TitS FC Evo translation is near completion.

Work that remains
--Patch eboot.bin with about 500 strings
--Initial TL is done, need to test every single one as they appear in game.
200 lines in scenario files that were newly added for Evo
--Initial TL is done, awaiting editing from Snigs.
Bug fixes.

Getting close to the end. If there are no show-stopping bugs, maybe this will be finished before Trails in the Sky the 3rd drops in May. We'll see (no promises).

http://gbatemp.net/threads/eiyuu-densetsu-sora-no-kiseki-fc-evolution-translation-port.440890/

Famassu

Fully(?) voiced versions of trails games done by a company in Japan for vita not named falcom that'll we'll never officially get in the west
Voiced + somewhat modernized gameplay with stuff from latter game of the series + newly arranged OST (which most consiser mostly inferior to originals) + new portraits (that are also worse than OG ones, lots of portraits missing and the ones that are in there are worse)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The gameplay changes are also don't seem well regarded, the games weren't rebalanced around the changes so apparently they break the Sky trilogy.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Personally the gameplay changes for the sky evo trilogy are like going from p4 to p4g. Quality of life improvements like map attacks/auto battle/fast forwarding through battle/rewatched scenes etc. Basically adds modernization improvements that make a playthrough/replay much more convenient.

Balancing on the other hand could be better - some parts are much easier than they should be and some much harder than they were supposed to be. Games are perfectly playable though and "broken" is a huge exaggeration, especially if you haven't tried it yourself.

As far as portraits for the sky trilogy go they definitely removed some expressions but I find what's there to be sufficient. However, combined with the plethora of newly drawn full CG scenes and voice acting, it far better conveys the emotion of a scene than the originals do IMO (mostly in SC/3rd).

For the crossbell games the evo versions don't add too much tbh besides extra sidequests since they didn't implement the most important QoL changes until the Sky remakes.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Broken was referring to the balance, not that the game is unplayable. I wasn't clear about that, but I've read a lot of comments (including yours now) saying the game is poorly balanced.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely. I'm not saying that every change made to these remakes were for the better. There are some that are objectively worse like some of the difficulty/hp balancing, some of the music, SC evo's god awful new OP animation, etc. And many that could be subjectively worse for you.

But I feel like the evo remakes are getting an unfair shake in the narrative that I see getting thrown around on gaf. Afaik some of the most hardcore english-speaking trails fans post in here and of course traditional fans like that may dislike a lot of changes made to the original version of a game they love.

But anecdotally, the evo remakes aren't widely considered to be bad in Japan or anything. I wish I had a better metric to illustrate this for english audiences but the amazon ratings for almost all of the evo entries average at 4-5 stars (zero evo is especially low due to being riddled with game-breaking crashes/bugs at launch).

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and I will never try to convince someone otherweise, but I find it bothersome that some are willing to conclusively declare them the worst versions of the games without playing through them first hand. I've seen the evo estelle portraits/expressions image macro spammed constantly by people who have self-admittedly only watched a few of the evo scenes on youtube. That doesn't paint the whole picture of what you get in the remakes. For example, seeing this scene (FULL SC SPOILER) with the CG there and both characters shouting at the top of their lungs with great voice actors does a lot more for the scene, personally. I enjoyed some of the heartfelt/romantic/somber scenes done in this way more as well.

Frankly, I think that if you can enjoy the more recent falcom games like the sen arc, ys8, or tokyo xanadu, the evo remakes would have improvements that you can appreciate as well. I just think that fans should keep an open mind and give them a shot when they inevitably get fan-translated instead of dismissing them immediately based on what they've heard from a relatively small sample of opinions.

You know, as much as I prefer to play these games in the original JP dub, I think I'll stay with the English dub for the sake of completeness with CS3, and also that Sean Chiplock seems like a nice enough bloke.

I'd love to see JP battlecry mod for 3rd, though, since I played FC/SC with it.

Not a problem for me since I played CS1 with voices off and CS2 in Korean with JP voices. :p

And The 3rd JP voice mod will be as easy as ever. It's just whether someone with the game in Japanese/Korean/Chinese is nice enough to upload and distribute the file.

The Dengeki issue hasn't launched yet (10 pages worth of details, which means Falcom hype campaign's really starting now), so any details coming out are filtered through 2ch's biases/trolls. Gu4n's been summarizing what he's heard in a Twitter thread.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
2CH leaking some of the new dengeki playstation. Gu4n has been posting it on twitter. 2 new playable characters. Green haired girl (Musee) and some blonde boy named Ash. Towa is also there.

Also, can you disable voice acting in Zero and Ao?

Thanks, as for voice acting in case of Zero Evo there's an option to disable voices.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I think I caught up with the new information that is out there lol, makes me reconsider if I shouldn't get on twitter to easier follow the information but nah.
2017 is so good for games dammit. Great day DQ11 news and Sen III teases.
Sky 3rd in a few weeks damn man just no words.... I think at this point I'm going to hold off on Ao until I finish 3rd.

nImO1PB.png
Stop playing P5 and get on those SC write ups again!
*half kidding* :-x

2CH leaking some of the new dengeki playstation. Gu4n has been posting it on twitter. 2 new playable characters. Green haired girl (Musee) and some blonde boy named Ash. Towa is also there.

So I'm guessing Ash is that good looking student with unkempt uniform and generally bad boy vibe.

Also, it's imperative that we stop this Rean menace.

Nyoro SF

Hahaha, relax PK, Rean is now a hot instructor, I feel that's a serviceable reason for ladies to fall for him compared to the last two games. Career man, heroic, with a health pool that's 4x larger than the rest :p

Psxphile

*older, charming female teacher*
"What the hell is this deluded old drunkard saying?"

*older, handsome male teacher*
"Unf."

japan pls

Gu4n

I dump unverified information on Twitter and once I can verify the legitimacy, I move the information to the Kiseki Wiki.

The new batch of characters, including Randy, Tita, Roselia, Siegfried and Albrecht, I expect late May, early June. And then the Sen III hype machine will run at 120%.

Top Bottom