• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
LoH-ToCS3_04-11-17_008.jpg

21 years old

godisntheradio

Neo Member
I can't even begin to describe how excited every little morsel of news makes me.

i don't know how i'm suppose to wait until fall 2018 at earliest, i'm considering importing a japanese copy even if i don't know any japanese and play at least the prologue just for the sake of it. i'm just too excited.

I hope Ash's antagonism towards Rean is actually nuanced and not of the "clearly-in-the-wrong jerk" variety ala Patrick. The games desperately need that kind of a relationship.
And if this game has Tita after all, maybe Agate can stop by and meet this Ash fellow, lol. I'm really over Patrick by now too and can only hope Ash isn't simply Agate either.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I spot a very lame japanese wordplay joke on towa and tower regarding her height.
Hope that my observation was lame enough to give people some chills.
OcEHFJe.png

duckroll

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I legit often wish there was a website where I could generate a Trails in the Sky dialogue box with any text I want and pair it with any character portrait I want.
Sky has so many fantastic expressions that would go so well for meme likes things.
Guess the next best thing is figuring out how to get access to the assets from the steam installation files :/

jb1234

As long as it takes to make Rean interesting :p

See, that's a worrying comment. I've only played eight hours of Cold Steel and Rean, while pleasant in a generic sorta way didn't exactly inspire me. Are you saying that in 130-some hours, they STILL haven't made this dude interesting? :p

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
See, that's a worrying comment. I've only played eight hours of Cold Steel and Rean, while pleasant in a generic sorta way didn't exactly inspire me. Are you saying that in 130-some hours, they STILL haven't made this dude interesting? :p

Mileage may vary and it's fun to play up things for negative effect, that said if I'm going to be serious for a moment, Rean to me is very much Falcom chasing a bad trend of having something akin to the male VN harem protagonist. It's not that bad in actuality but it doesn't change it's a bad trend that's being chased.
That said at the very end of CSII for me they began setting up a story for Rean that could lead to interesting places and redeem him somewhat in retrospect.

Famassu

What saves Rean/Cold Steel a bit is that not every female character constantly throws herself at him, even with Cold Steel clearly borrowing heavily from the harem/dating VN genre. Rean <-> Fie interactions are pretty decent without any needless "Fie is actually super-madly in love with Rean" crap and apart from the final dance scenes with a few of them, a lot of the interactions with Rean built these characters more than they are vehicles for Rean to getting into the pants of these ladies. The game doesn't fully get rid of the dating sim-y undertones but I thought a lot of optional stuff with, say, Laura were nice character building for Laura herself, not just about getting Rean & her to date (as much as I ship Laura as the canon relationship :p ).

Of course there are horribly cliched characters like Towa as well. She brings absolutely nothing to the table (by the end of 1, still have 2 in queue, waiting to be played), never got the adoration for her. >_>;

So far the only girls in non bonding scenes that show an interest in wanting to jump into Rean's pants are Alisa and the new girl in CS3 IIRC.

jb1234

Yeah, the only female interaction that's made me cringe so far was the entire introduction of Alisa
(and her contrived anger).

It's more annoying that because they can potentially be romanced by Rean, they don't really get many meaningful or interesting interactions with the other male characters in the class.

Psxphile

It's more annoying that because they can potentially be romanced by Rean, they don't really get many meaningful or interesting interactions with the other male characters in the class.

Those losers? Pfft! Let them get their own games.

Gotta say...
Gaius
and
Laura
not getting any spotlight yet in Falcom's CSIII info blitz is gotta be pretty annoying to those who built them up as the logical heirs to the Erebonian narrative. Even their so-called "rivals" are taking sidejobs instead of becoming major threats for them to tackle, lol.

Hm, yes. Falcom de-escalating the plot back to "high school hijynx" doesn't seem to be doing it any favors. The worries of yet another sequel to finish off what starts here is real.

SephLuis

We're gonna see a cold steel 4 aren't we?

I honestly am more excited for CS3 because of Crossbell rather than Erebonia and CS2 cast.

Going back to a school isn't something I find it bad and being a teacher this time I think it's actually a nice change, however, I am worried about how it's going to be implemented. I kinda wish this happened in CS1 so we could control Sara for the majority of the game instead of Rean =P

Famassu

CS3 is going back to school? :(

I hope military school isn't going to be the norm for the series going forward.
Next step is obviously to just have a regular school with an all girl, 14-16 year old cast (but one of them is secretly an 18 year old) who have chitchats in the school bath every night before going to sleep. And you will like it, uguuu~

Gotta say...
Gaius
and
Laura
not getting any spotlight yet in Falcom's CSIII info blitz is gotta be pretty annoying to those who built them up as the logical heirs to the Erebonian narrative. Even their so-called "rivals" are taking sidejobs instead of becoming major threats for them to tackle, lol.

Hm, yes. Falcom de-escalating the plot back to "high school hijynx" doesn't seem to be doing it any favors. The worries of yet another sequel to finish off what starts here is real.

I have faith that there ain't no reset button and they got the writing back to high and consistant like with Sky. If not though, being drug thru lowbrow school stuff will look double bad after P5's handling of school life.

CS3 is going back to school? :(

We don't really know how much focus is going to be on the school storywise at this point. I'm pretty sure everything we know so far is on the prologue, too.

Even with the school setting, we're playing as a teacher, which is a pretty big difference. And it seems like things are going to be much more focused on the military this time, too.

Nyoro SF

Being a teacher in the school will be way more interesting than being the student though, and Erebonia has always been a military-focused series.

Next step is obviously to just have a regular school with an all girl, 14-16 year old cast (but one of them is secretly an 18 year old) who have chitchats in the school bath every night before going to sleep. And you will like it, uguuu~

Yamerooo.gif

Only if there is a beach chapter with everyone in bikinis
( yes everyone ) i need the laughs

Sen III seems unusually military-focused in a way that suits the Erebonia narrative, so Calvard could be sufficiently different if Falcom wants to get away from this later.

North Ambria getting annexed, and the country militarizing hard, raises the chances of actual international war starting in this game, so maybe that's the plot catalyst that gets the new Class VII into danger. Who knows.

Gotta say...
Gaius
and
Laura

Huh, it makes me wonder whether some of former Class VII would be on Rean's opposing side this time around.

PK Gaming

I didn't mind the student-teacher set up when it was just Rean + 3 students, but it looks like they're bringing a lot more of them, which means spreading screentime and development across more characters which means less individual focus which potentially means less Class VII

:(((((

Taruranto

Yeah, it's one of the biggest annoyances I have with these S.Link (and like) systems, they basically kill party relationships because everyone needs to be available for the MC.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I just find it sort of frustrating how Falcom can't seem to get outside of its school bubble. Even in Cold Steel II they were always talking about Class VII this, Class VII that, we love Thors,
we need to save Thors
, I love all my schoolmates etc. etc. Then Rean went and
turned into the Ashen Chevalier and got all awesome
and... is back in a school setting... again.

The circumstances are different and I'm sure the surrounding story will still be good, but the Cold Steel games have been astoundingly good at writing a more interesting story around the protagonists rather than the one they actively take part in.

Nyoro SF

Everyone's worries will be solved with the 200 hour scenario, which includes the 50-hour section where a Sara and Fie dual tag team infiltrate Ouroboros, only to get stopped by Elliot the Grandmaster.

MKIL65

I didn't mind the student-teacher set up when it was just Rean + 3 students, but it looks like they're bringing a lot more of them, which means spreading screentime and development across more characters which means less individual focus which potentially means less Class VII

:(((((

Which means less Jusis and Laura!

NotLikeThis

I'm sure most of the CS1/2 cast will still be around (and we're still very much in the "these are the characters around at the very start of the game" phase). But I also feel like at leas half of Class VII at the end of CS2 were in a spot where their stories were mostly wrapped up (or at least, in a position where their future stories wouldn't necessarily involve them being playable characters), and some of the others were in positions where their stories might make more sense to pick up outside of Erebonia. But I'd imagine that we'll get pretty much everyone in the game in some fashion.

PK Gaming

Yeah, it's one of the biggest annoyances I have with these S.Link (and like) systems, they basically kill party relationships because everyone needs to be available for the MC.

Random aside, but Persona 5 has been pretty good about your friends actually talking to each other outside of of the protagonist's sphere of influence. Definitely a huge step up from 3 and 4.

I still think CS1 did a pretty good job with getting Class VII to interact with each other, but in retrospect, they could have definitely gone further with deeper interpersonal relationships that didn't involve Rean. I don't even think it was necessarily a "these girls had to be available to Rean" type situation; there were simply too many characters to juggle (unlike FC/SC where Estelle & Joshua could have meaningful interactions with tons of different characters)

Was really looking forward to a tight relationship between Rean and his 3 students. Ah well, I'm sure the new cast will be solid.

Top Bottom