• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Thud

You say that now, but...

Haha indeed. I was preparing myself when (3rd spoilers)
you enter the Grancel vault again

Anyway started up Cold Steel and the late game tease is just too much. The clean art and voice acting are something I have to get used to.

Nyoro SF

So after beating 3rd, I can post my enjoyability ranking list.

1. Zero
2. Ao
3. Sky 3rd
4. Sky SC
5. Sky FC
6. CS2
7. CS1

It's really impressive how Falcom improves their work with each subsequent game within a series. At the same time, despite Zero having a weak final boss has an excellent style and presentation which is something that's not matched in any other Kiseki game.

The writing in 3rd is absolutely fantastic, and with the several standout Doors that eclipse almost any other Kiseki game, pushes it a bit above SC for me, which is tough because of SC's emotional highs, and it's tough to rank SC over FC's wonderful introduction structure.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
FC's fourth chapter is where I went from "this series is pretty good" to "okay, you know what, I am now a Kiseki fan" last year.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Zero and Ao so high? Urrrrgh, I need to learn Japanese!

At least we have the fan translation of Zero to look forward to. And they have mentioned starting some early work on Ao too.

But still, I'd rather XSEED do it somehow since they have done a great job with the Sky trilogy. These games just don't have the audience to justify it though.

preta

It's really impressive how Falcom improves their work with each subsequent game within a series. At the same time, despite Zero having a weak final boss, the style of presentation of it is something that's not matched in any other Kiseki game.

In what way? Are you maybe referring to (Ao)
how it retroactively connects to the time reversion stuff
?

Thud

Finished the prologue of Cold Steel. I'm guessing it will trail off later, but it's a good start.

What's a good guide for getting max AP? It wouldn't be a trails game if it didn't come with missable sidequests.

Nyoro SF

In what way? Are you maybe referring to (Ao)
how it retroactively connects to the time reversion stuff
?

Hold that thought, I don't think I quite understand your question. Are you talking about the style of presentation or Zero's final boss?

preta

Hold that thought, I don't think I quite understand your question. Are you talking about the style of presentation or Zero's final boss?
I think I read it wrong actually. I thought you were talking about the style of presentation of the final boss.

Vamphuntr

So after beating 3rd, I can post my enjoyability ranking list.

1. Zero
2. Ao
3. Sky 3rd
4. Sky SC
5. Sky FC
6. CS2
7. CS1

It's really impressive how Falcom improves their work with each subsequent game within a series. At the same time, despite Zero having a weak final boss has an excellent style and presentation which is something that's not matched in any other Kiseki game.

The writing in 3rd is absolutely fantastic, and with the several standout Doors that eclipse almost any other Kiseki game, pushes it a bit above SC for me, which is tough because of SC's emotional highs, and it's tough to rank SC over FC's wonderful introduction structure.

Hopefully I get to play Ao and Zero. Almost done with the 3rd and it's probably my favorite game of the series so far. I agree that the writing of the characters is still even better than in SC and FC. I was surprised that some of the backstories of the characters were so dark like Schera and Renne. Cold Steel games were so mediocre in comparison. I'm still bewildered that stuff you get to see in the 3rd has yet to happen in Cold Steel like
The Showdown between Osborne and Olivert
. Hopefully CS3 will be good.

vkrili

I'm still bewildered that stuff you get to see in the 3rd has yet to happen in Cold Steel like
The Showdown between Osborne and Olivert

Well, I'd say the CS games are
one extended showdown between Osborne and Olivert; and Osborne is the clear victor. He manages to get two out of three director seats at Thors filled with people loyal to him and manages to influence the class to perform tasks in the regions that benefit him, while also managing to infiltrate Class VII itself with a student (1.5 if you count Rean), and then he disbands it before it can start doing him harm. Everything Olivert's done has worked in Osborne's favor... so far.

danthefan

I bought SC in the GOG sale there but played FC on the Vita.

Do I lose much by not having a save to import? If it's just an accessory or something then no big deal.

Kalor

I bought SC in the GOG sale there but played FC on the Vita.

Do I lose much by not having a save to import? If it's just an accessory or something then no big deal.

There's some items, Estelles level carries over and NPCs have slightly different dialogue if you did side quests for them in the first game. So nothing that important. There's 100% save files out there if you want to get that stuff.

Squire

Banned
Finished FC last night. I think it lived up to the hype. The ending was devastating, but it's an amazing setup for SC.

Right now I'd rank what I've played as: CS2 > FC > CS1

Psxphile

C_xmukZUMAAjbBw.jpg:large
source

source

source

I regret nothing.

Link1110

Finished the prologue of Cold Steel. I'm guessing it will trail off later, but it's a good start.

What's a good guide for getting max AP? It wouldn't be a trails game if it didn't come with missable sidequests.
Well that opening gets a bit disappointing when you find out later
that the cliff hanger is leaves you on is a cop out

Tonton

So Tokyo Xanadu comes out next month, I heard it had some connections to the Trails series?
Probably references to it at best and stuff like Magical Alisa being a show in that universe

Oh yeah also one character being literally taken from Trails (Towa)

Like one character crossover and some CS3 teases I think. Nothing substantial.
I think the only cold steel tease was the first promotional art with Rean appearing in eX+ first right

Buckle

These all take place within the same world and same overarching storyline. To me personally, it reminds me of Suikoden and how those games were handled with their own individual storyline while making advances in the overall world storyline. Hopefully, unlike Suikoden where the creator left everyone hanging and the story unfinished, the Kiseki series will finish its overall plotline eventually.
Haven't played any of this series yet but the comparison to Suikoden's lore and world building intrigues me.

Feels like I haven't really played another JRPG series quite like that since the DS entry dropped it altogether and started from scratch (what a waste).

Link1110

You know, about cs1:

Am I the only one who thinks the name Vita was a meaningful in a meta context? Naming the main villain Vita, after the system that forces them to cut lots of stuff from the game, so Vita is the big bad in a mega context as well as an in game one?

You know, about cs1:

Am I the only one who thinks the name Vita was a meaningful in a meta context? Naming the main villain Vita, after the system that forces them to cut lots of stuff from the game, so Vita is the big bad in a mega context as well as an in game one?

[CS I]
That's reaching, I feel. Vita is not even the big bad.

vkrili

You know, about cs1:

Considering she was most likely written during FC/SC, that would be impossible.

You know, about cs1:

This is seriously one of the dumbest things ever that keeps being said. With just how far many of the details in this series go back, her name was thought of long before that system was even open for development.

Thud

Finished chapter 1 in Cold Steel. I'm suprised they catch on quicker than I expected.

That beep in the school theme is driving me nuts tho. First theme I turned down the music.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I know they said CS 1&2 is coming to Steam this summer, but do we have any kind of estimated timeframe what part of summer it's coming out? If you guys had to take a guess, which month?

Tonton

I know they said CS 1&2 is coming to Steam this summer, but do we have any kind of estimated timeframe what part of summer it's coming out? If you guys had to take a guess, which month?
Only CS1 is summer, CS2 has no date
The only estimate is summer but I'd imagine it'll be in August or September

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Only CS1 is summer, CS2 has no date
The only estimate is summer but I'd imagine it'll be in August or September

Thanks. I think I'll wait until all three are out on Steam. Even if it means waiting a year a two. I hate the idea of playing the first two games in a trilogy, without access to the third game. It'll be Grandia II and the Disgaea series after TiTS:The Third. Maybe by then CS III will be out on Steam.

I'd imagine it is fairly common for folks to drop in when they start playing the series, but I wanted to share that I started Trails FC on PSP, and so far, so good. I got the PC trilogy on sale at GOG, but I decided that the portable nature is my preference for now.

The music is quite enjoyable, so much so that I'm listening to it at work. I'm curious to see where the story goes. It was a bit slow to start, but I feel like I'm reaching the end of the Prologue (doing the Mayor's fetch quest).

I feel like I may be falling down the Trails and Falcom rabbit hole.

Top Bottom