• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Squire

Banned
Seems like the point of the Evolution releases is to fetishize the female characters, make the games look ugly, ruin the music, and add voice acting.

At least the voice acting is supposed to be good.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Update on the Zero fan translation.

https://geofront.esterior.net/2017/07/07/fifteen/

td;dr:

• 15% complete
  • A new editor who started in mid-May is responsible for the vast majority of that
  • The Zero translator and hacker are working on Ao, it's about 43% translated*
  • Questions about the game title. Trails from Zero? to Zero? of Zero?

*assumptions on my part, but I am guessing this will still need to be edited and cleaned up, and from prior comments it will be a different editor (or team) than the folks working on Zero.

Update on the Zero fan translation.

https://geofront.esterior.net/2017/07/07/fifteen/

td;dr:

• 15% complete
  • A new editor who started in mid-May is responsible for the vast majority of that
  • The Zero translator and hacker are working on Ao, it's about 43% translated*
  • Questions about the game title. Trails from Zero? to Zero? of Zero?

*assumptions on my part, but I am guessing this will still need to be edited and cleaned up, and from prior comments it will be a different editor (or team) than the folks working on Zero.
Assuming a different group than Gu4n and all of them?

c1d

Assuming a different group than Gu4n and all of them?
It's the same group that translated Zero (flamethrower & Guren) i.e. these guys translate the script and Gu4n et al do the editing - it's basically a giant collaboration and the fanbase is super lucky to have so many people dedicated the cause

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's the same group that translated Zero (flamethrower & Guren) i.e. these guys translate the script and Gu4n et al do the editing - it's basically a giant collaboration and the fanbase is super lucky to have so many people dedicated the cause

For Zero, yeah.

Flamethrower and Guren are working on Ao, but Guan has said he is not going to do editing for Ao. Floofy hasn't outright said that, but given she's already had to step away from Zero and wasn't happy with the slow progress, it's unlikely she's going to make further personal commitment to Ao. Don't know about the other two.

Psxphile

I know what teaser trailer he was talking about. Saw it again recently and it dawned on me then: why was everyone calling it Trails to Zero? Seems like it should be from Zero.

From Zero, to Azure.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
I feel like they've been calling it that even before, but yeah certainly.
I think it mostly had been Zero (no Kiseki) and Ao (no Kiseki) until the word of the domain registration got out. I distinctly remember first learning that Ao means Azure from these news.

EDIT:
Huh. When did they do this? Guessing it's just a protective measure?
2015, I think. A whole bunch of domain names registered by XSEED were uncovered at once, revealing their plans for Trails of Cold Steel (and the localized name itself) and Xanadu Next, among other things. When it comes to the Crossbell games, it is indeed a protective measure first.

Gu4n

I also hope that these collaborations inspire others to pick up the editing for Nayuta. The A Tear of Vermillion PSP-to-PC editing I initiated was also picked up by another fan when I moved to Zero, the Brandish 2 has had multiple editing passes by preta and multiple rounds of QA-ing by other fans (it's not out yet due to technical problems).

Squire

Banned
Great timing this month, then!

If only! My desktop is actually too old to run CS, I'm sure. No matter though. I don't mind playing on Vita again and I'm grabbing FFXII next week, so that'll come first regardless.

Still, fantastic side story though. Amazing how much of CS was set up that far in advance.

I think if I have one (sort of) complaint about 3rd, it's that I wish I could spend as much time with Kevin and Ries as I got to with Estelle and Joshua in FC. It's not that they're NOT well characterized, it's that they ARE - it's what makes me wish they had more screen time both individually and together than they seem to.

My read on Ries right now is
that the center of her character is her honesty. She can be pretty blunt/cutting and they play it for laughs a bunch, but she's very genuinely tough. She's honest about both her feelings and her observations and, though this is sort of an aside, she's pretty fearless too
. It's a really interesting contrast with Kevin.
He's not honest about his feelings, he never tells you everything he's thinking (of he tells you anything at all), and I do think he's got a lot of fear (for legitimate reasons.) What's really funny is that you're first impression of Kevin is that he's such a nice, fun guy whereas Ries comes off as being a little aloof. The reality is so much more interesting.

So yeah, these guys are great. I'm at the start of chapter 6 now. I don't know that this is going to be my favorite in the series, but I feel like it has a lot of my favorite components, if that makes sense. It's the most daring of the series (can't speak for Crossbell) design-wise and Kevin and Ries are easily my favorite leads.

My only real dusaooontment is the games gonna end, haha.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If only! My desktop is actually too old to run CS, I'm sure.

Based on the minimum requirements and mention of "portable settings" it looks like the port is capable of running on devices like a GPD Win. Your PC would probably have to be really old to be unable to run it.

We won't know how well it actually scales until it releases though.

Thud

I bought Cold Steel II on PS3 for 8 bucks.

Well I probably would rebuy them on PC again, so it's justified in my mind heh.

Thud

Yeah, y'see when I say everyone... I mean everyone.
edit: also, per her own words those titles aren't in any way final

From Zero to Azure would probably be right. I haven't played the games, but that sounds nice to me. The kanji with reading Ao could both mean green and blue. Azure is blue light with a bit of green light. Also the color of a clear sky usually is azure due to Rayleigh scattering.

But yeah it's just a placeholder.

Squire

Banned
Based on the minimum requirements and mention of "portable settings" it looks like the port is capable of running on devices like a GPD Win. Your PC would probably have to be really old to be unable to run it.

We won't know how well it actually scales until it releases though.

I'm actually spending today getting my old laptop from college in order to play lol. It's a pretty recent model and the CPU in particular is really strong. I should be able to kill CS standing. I can feed the image out to my TV, too.

I don't even think I'll be able to afford the game at launch, but I'll get it next month.

preta

With the poor translations they received, not really.

And not just that - the PSP ports are arguably the worst versions of the games anyway. Worse battle systems and music than the others. They do have nice character portraits, though.

It's a shame because the underlying games are good and worth playing, if you know JP.

nivorae

Is The Legend of Heroes trilogy of earlier games that came NA-side on the PSP worth playing?

they're good and fun especially because it is fun to see how it became the base for the Trails series but the translation takes effort to take serious and needs constant editing and reinterpretation

Thud

Finished the prologue in Cold Steel 2 and that escalated pretty quickly. Sluice gates went fully open.

Not sure what to make of
Rufus' new role
in all this. Toval is great, but I knew that just from Carnelia heh.

I also just did my first quest after reuniting with (chapter 1 spoilers)
King Machias
. Thought they might make out, should have went with the headpet Rean!

RiouV

And not just that - the PSP ports are arguably the worst versions of the games anyway. Worse battle systems and music than the others. They do have nice character portraits, though.

It's a shame because the underlying games are good and worth playing, if you know JP.

What's the best way to play them in Japanese?

Gu4n

What's the best way to play them in Japanese?
PC. I played the PSP versions in Japanese myself, but I had to resort to cheats in A Tear of Vermillion and Cagesong of the Ocean to avoid to minimise the new, and utterly boring battle system.

Ahh I was thinking that was for sequel.

wow, i really hesitate to do zero no kiseki now or wait for Ao....

i'll probably play it before cold steel 3 is released here, with that i'll have at least some background on crossbell

Arthea

my dream of playing zero and ao before Steel will not come true, as Steel is releasing this month, so how much of those two games are spoiled in Steel?

Fou-Lu

lol
I didn't know that
how is it even possible? I mean for Ao to spoil Steel 2?

I don't know either as I haven't played CS, Ao or Zero yet either, but I am guessing we get some kind of reveal about Ouroboros that's the same in both games.

PK Gaming

Seems like the point of the Evolution releases is to fetishize the female characters, make the games look ugly, ruin the music, and add voice acting.

At least the voice acting is supposed to be good.

And worst of all...

They implemented %escape chance

100% guaranteed runs is one of the best thing about FC/SC

Squire

Banned
So, USGamer has an interview with Kondo running next week. Others will also as NISA had him at AX to do a panel and promote Ys VIII. USG writers mentioned a few interesting things he said on their RPG podcast last week though:

-They do have an ending in mind for Trails
-Falcom has never operated in the red
-something something Switch something something
-They're going as strong as they are because, while the company is small, they all wear many hats and are deeply dedicated to making games

And worst of all...

They implemented %escape chance

100% guaranteed runs is one of the best thing about FC/SC

Yeah, that's a really dumb QOL rollback to create artificial challenge. I'd almost go so far as to say knowing when to run is part of your strategic toolset in 3rd.

Just began the 4th chapter of Zero and I really love all the interactions with
KeA
I never cared about Tita or similar characters but she is too damn cute. Falcom writing in Zero is truly on point, from characters to plot.

Nyoro SF

Yeah, honestly the escape chance % wasn't necessary at all for this series. It adds a useless layer cause everyone's just gonna use smoke bomb anyway.

Should've just kept the Chrono Cross system where you can always run away.

Gu4n

Falcom teasing on twitter this week's Sen 3 update on Thursday.

This looks a lot like
Laura
I guess. Then again, this character being in Sen 3 isn't a surprise.
Alissa and Fie were already teased, Elliot showed up in screenshots a month ago (Millium months ago) and Falcom teased specifically a "large number of updates" for this week. It's safe to expect the entirety of Class VII, although I wouldn't be surprised if they hold back on Gaius for now.

Alissa and Fie were already teased, Elliot showed up in screenshots a month ago (Millium months ago) and Falcom teased specifically a "large number of updates" for this week. It's safe to expect the entirety of Class VII, although I wouldn't be surprised if they hold back on Gaius for now.
Yeah, I expect everyone who can return to do so. In a vacuum, I'd be wary of such a large ensemble, particularly considering they're even tying threads from Crossbell, but CS2 managed a very large cast pretty well.

Anyway (CS2 spoilers and rambling)
As much as I love Laura's character, the Arseid I want to see again the most is her father. I really want that rematch with McBurn. I suspect things will be mostly about Rean x McBurn, though. It's time they explained Rean's powers a bit more and, I assume, some of that divergent laws stuff.

lazerfox

So I just finished Tits SC and have some question about the final chapter.

Is it worth replaying the enforcer fights in the tower with the party members that make sense? The only one I got was Bleublanc with Olivier (without Kloe tho). If it's just additional dialog I think I'll pass and just move on to the 3rd

So I just finished Tits SC and have some question about the final chapter.

Is it worth replaying the enforcer fights in the tower with the party members that make sense? The only one I got was Bleublanc with Olivier (without Kloe tho). If it's just additional dialog I think I'll pass and just move on to the 3rd
the dialogue is definitely worth it for zane (not zin damnit) and Schera, but just youtube it.

Arthea

Since I didn't save right before the tower I just looked it up on youtube. Totally worth it thanks!

Missing them in my final save file won't change anything in the 3rd I suppose?

I don't think you get any additional dialogue due to that save in 3rd, only some accessory, I could be wrong tho

Top Bottom