• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Aters

They pretty much laid out why it'd never be the Vita versions. Multiple times. I'm sure someone will dig up some quotes. And it's highly unlikely they'll localize the PSP versions of Zero and Ao/Azure, but Zero has a Japanese PC port they can work with. Ao/Azure is honestly the biggest roadblock: Falcom never released a PC version themselves but one was slapped together by a Chinese company that, if I recall correctly, doesn't exist anymore? Or maybe they just no longer have the license (i.e. it's no longer sold)?

We're not absolutely certain they'll bring over the Crossbell arc, but the fact that they're going ahead with The 3rd raises the possibility from 'nah' to 'so you're saying there's a chance' status.

That Chinese company is fine. But they have to replace the Chinese text back with Japanese text, and then let Xseed do the translation. Not sure if they are willing to do It.

I don't know why Xseed can't touch the PSV version, but they always have the option to release the PSP version on PSN.

Seriously, why can't Xseed use the PSV version?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That Chinese company is fine. But they have to replace the Chinese text back with Japanese text, and then let Xseed do the translation. Not sure if they are willing to do It.

I don't know why Xseed can't touch the PSV version, but they always have the option to release the PSP version on PSN.

Seriously, why can't Xseed use the PSV version?
Long story short, it's a licensing nightmare.

Bureaucratic nonsense.

UberTag

I'm confused on this point. Why would that first step be needed? Couldn't XSEED translate the game from the Japanese text in the non-PC release and then sub the English in over the Chinese text in the PC release? I mean, why would they need the PC release re-translated into Japanese?

FLD

We're not absolutely certain they'll bring over the Crossbell arc, but the fact that they're going ahead with The 3rd raises the possibility from 'nah' to 'so you're saying there's a chance' status.

Yeah, I remember Tom saying something along the lines of "if we were to do 3rd, we'd pretty much have to do Crossbell as well". So, while I wouldn't take that as any kind of official confirmation, at the very least I think there's room to be optimistic about Crossbell happening.

It still kinda blows my mind that about a year ago it was looking like we'd get 2 Trails games in the west and likely nothing more whereas roughly a year from now we're going to be missing only 2 Trails games.

Aters

I'm confused on this point. Why would that first step be needed? Couldn't XSEED translate the game from the Japanese text in the non-PC release and then sub the English in over the Chinese text in the PC release? I mean, why would they need the PC release re-translated into Japanese?

Xseed need to know how to map the PSP text to the PC text, but only the Chinese company know the mapping because they wrote the code, and if they wrote the comment in Chinese (which is very likely), Xseed will need to take a hard trial and error process. However, if the text itself is in Japanese, they can easily locate where each line of the English text should go. Basically, it's hard to mess around with some code whose comment is written in a language you don't know, and it's even harder if you want to replace some text that you can't read.

Long story short, it's a licensing nightmare.

Bureaucratic nonsense.

The Evolution versions are collaborations between something like four different companies (Falcom themselves, Kadokawa, Chara-Ani, and Pyramid). Falcom of course retains rights to the base game itself, but various elements of the Evolution versions all belong to the other three. Bringing them over, with everything from Japan plus English voiceover and whatnot, would be a licensing black hole from which no money would ever emerge.

The Evolution versions, in general, are off the table. Never say never, I guess, but I would be tremendously surprised if XSEED bothered to navigate that particular minefield.

Xseed need to know how to map the PSP text to the PC text, but only the Chinese company know the mapping because they wrote the code, and if they wrote the comment in Chinese (which is very likely), Xseed will need to take a hard trial and error process. However, if the text itself is in Japanese, they can easily locate where each line of the English text should go. Basically, it's hard to mess around with some code whose comment is written in a language you don't know, and it's even harder if you want to replace some text that you can't read.

There's a little more to it/a little different than that, but essentially yes, trying to insert a J->E script into the Chinese game-script files would be... an interesting challenge to get right the first time, if nothing else. It wouldn't be impossible, but inserting into the Japanese files would be a lot easier.

zakujanai

Personally I don't think the evo versions are a huge loss. The music is terrible, the portraits get in the way and Japanese voice acting does little for me, particularly the whiny female voices they insist on having. Western voice acting would be a very welcome addition fur me but never worth shelling out for on a game for a defunct platform.

Obviously if that was the only way of getting the Crossbell arc though, I'd be in.

Psxphile

for a defunct platform

VitaGAF:
rMfnNog.jpg

I mean if all the stars aligned and Xseed announced they'd be able to release all the Evo games I'd still buy them to support the series even if they're the inferior versions.

omgfloofy

Banned
The Evolution versions are collaborations between something like four different companies (Falcom themselves, Kadokawa, Chara-Ani, and Pyramid).

To add more chaos to the mix, Pyra-Mid isn't involved in the Sora Evo remakes. That's a new developer as well. So there's all sorts of shenanigans going on in the Evolution stuff as a whole. On top of contracts for 150+ voice actors in at least each of the Crossbell games. (I remember Falcom tweeting that they had to make the new credit song, because they've NEVER had staff rolls as long as the Zero and Ao Evolution ones.)

Something else for people to remember, Falcom doesn't even have the rights to distribute the Evolution games. If you look at their online shop, they can't even sell it themselves.

I'm pretty sure that- because of this bureaucratic nightmare, they are absolutely, 100%, off the table.

And since I saw someone asking about the Chinese company, Joyoland is still around, but they have shuttered their site for the time being to 'redesign it' and have been searching for PS4 developers, so I imagine that they're switching to console, since China's allowing consoles to be sold there now.

Gu4n

Bebpo, can you maybe update your first post of this thread? It would be helpful to have information/links saved on a singule place that's easy to refer to.

I'm guessing falcom would have to take the vita versions, or at least the higher resolution sprites, then create a new version for the western market on ps4. It doesn't seem likely.

If I'm looking to play through FC & SC again, PS3 or Vita? The latter having "original music" dlc seems to even the playing field.

Bebpo

Banned
Bebpo, can you maybe update your first post of this thread? It would be helpful to have information/links saved on a singule place that's easy to refer to.

Sure, when I get a chance I'll update with the latest info.

*edit* ok, updated with the English game info and Sen III's announcement.

I recently purchased Trails in the Sky (First Chapter) for Vita and am about to fire it up for the first time. Before I do, quick question...

I'm a busy person and my gaming time comes at a premium. Does this game have difficulty settings from the get-go? If so, how easy is "easy" and how difficult is "difficult," so to speak? I'm eager to dive into the story, world, and lore, but simply do not have the time to trudge through typical JRPG grinding.

Many thanks in advance, Kiseki-GAF.

I recently purchased Trails in the Sky (First Chapter) for Vita and am about to fire it up for the first time. Before I do, quick question...

I'm a busy person and my gaming time comes at a premium. Does this game have difficulty settings from the get-go? If so, how easy is "easy" and how difficult is "difficult," so to speak? I'm eager to dive into the story, world, and lore, but simply do not have the time to trudge through typical JRPG grinding.

Many thanks in advance, Kiseki-GAF.

I know the second game has difficulty selection don't remember if the first one did. Both games on their default difficulty you should never have to grind if you do the various side quests that pop up (which are a major part of the world building) and the game isn't challenging but if you're carless you can get killed due to bad strategy. The game scales your exp so grinding isn't really an option anyway and lower level characters catch up quickly.

After dying, you'll have the option to 1) Go to Title Menu, 2) Retry Battle, 3) Retry with reduced difficulty. It doesn't bump it from "Normal" to "Easy" or anything, the game just has adaptive difficulty. And even if you do use that function, it won't suddenly make the rest of the game super easy.

After dying, you'll have the option to 1) Go to Title Menu, 2) Retry Battle, 3) Retry with reduced difficulty. It doesn't bump it from "Normal" to "Easy" or anything, the game just has adaptive difficulty. And even if you do use that function, it won't suddenly make the rest of the game super easy.

The game also doesn't punish you for that option either you could retry every battle to make it easier till you win and still 100% the game.

I beat Zero Evo and moved on to Ao, where I'm in the last chapter. I'm playing the games on Hard mode and surprised myself by managing to beat Arianrhod for the first time. If Japanese is a second language and you're at a similar level to me, even if you can read the content the VA makes it a lot easier to go through. Moreover, while not all of the music is as good as the original, some of it is noticably better. I think the games are good enough to consider them worthwhile, especially with the graphical improvement, despite it being an incomplete one.

I've already gone ahead and purchased Sora no Kiseki FC Evo after debating on whether or not to play the PS3 update. I read there was some minor rebalancing; I wonder if it makes the Hard mode a worthwhile decision. I'm a little afraid to try.

Wow, I had no idea.

Bebpo

Banned
I beat Zero Evo and moved on to Ao, where I'm in the last chapter.
I'm playing the games on Hard mode and surprised myself by managing to beat Arianrhod for the first time.
If Japanese is a second language and you're at a similar level to me, even if you can read the content the VA makes it a lot easier to go through. Moreover, while not all of the music is as good as the original, some of it is noticably better. I think the games are good enough to consider them worthwhile, especially with the graphical improvement, despite it being an incomplete one.

Wait, you mean like got her HP down to 0? I didn't think that was possible. Thought she had too many instant party wipes after her HP gets below a certain point since the story moves on when you "lose" but crack her mask and she leaves.

Wait, you mean like got her HP down to 0? I didn't think that was possible. Thought she had too many instant party wipes after her HP gets below a certain point since the story moves on when you "lose" but crack her mask and she leaves.

It's possible. I even got a trophy for it. And 9999 EXP. She has instant wipes from the beginning of the fight, at least in hard mode. The fight is a matter of constantly casting adamanti-whatever that blocks craft based damage for a turn. It just sucks that once you get her to half health, she goes right back up to full.

I don't think the fight is a spoiler?

Aters

Make lloyd's evade point as high as possible and use the skill that draws near the enemy. Basically you just keep her in a corner and away from Tio and Elie.

Gu4n

Make lloyd's evade point as high as possible and use the skill that draws near the enemy. Basically you just keep her in a corner and away from Tio and Elie.
That's the best strategy. Keep someone's evasion above 100% but near the boss to prevent the others from getting attacked while lowering her HP one attack and counter at a time.

And if that boss's name is a spoiler to you, I congratulate you on having been able to avoid it so far. :)

Bebpo

Banned
That's the best strategy. Keep someone's evasion above 100% but near the boss to prevent the others from getting attacked while lowering her HP one attack and counter at a time.

And if that boss's name is a spoiler to you, I congratulate you on having been able to avoid it so far. :)

It's a spoiler that you fight that person in Crossbell for people who play Sen, but whatever.

Aters

So the release window of CS3 was confirmed to be next summer during a recent interview. I wonder if Falcom has expended in recent years because they are releasing one game per year while transiting to full 3D in the meantime.

Nyoro SF

So the release window of CS3 was confirmed to be next summer during a recent interview. I wonder if Falcom has expended in recent years because they are releasing one game per year while transiting to full 3D in the meantime.

Which interview? I looked through my 4gamer logs but I didn't see it...

Aters

Which interview? I looked through my 4gamer logs but I didn't see it...

An interview in Chinese during CCG EXPO 2016 in Shanghai. He said the estimated release date is around summer 2017. I think he also pretty much confirmed it will be PSV/PS4 too though he didn't directly say that.

Nyoro SF

An interview in Chinese during CCG EXPO 2016 in Shanghai. He said the estimated release date is around summer 2017. I think he also pretty much confirmed it will be PSV/PS4 too though he didn't directly say that.

Well I could've told you it would be those two platforms last year, not a very big surprise from Kondo :p The only real question is if they'll go for triple platforms and include PS3 again. I very much doubt it but it's possible.

Famassu

Time to revise my (delusionally) hyper-optimistic dream scenario:

Trails of Cold Steel II translation & editing & voice acting recording complete in Spring 2016
-> People freed from that part of the game's localization/development move forward from the project to start localization on Trails to Zero in Summer 2016, hopefully being worked on as we speak (or type)!
-> Trails of Cold Steel II release sometime in Fall 2016
-> Trails in the Sky The Third release sometime in Spring 2017, translating & editing complete sometime earlier (late 2016?)
-> translation/editing team of the Third can jump to start work on Trails to Azure as soon as they are not tied to The Third anymore (so End of 2016/Early 2017?)
-> translation/editing of Trails to Zero complete by sometime in Q3 2017
-> translation team of Trails to Zero shifts to start the localization of Trails of Cold Steel III ASAP after work on Zero's translation is finished (and if Trails of Cold Steel III is released by then)
-> Trails to Zero release in Q4 2017/Q1 2018
-> Trails to Azure release in Q3/Q4 2018
-> Trails of Cold Steel III English release in late Q4 2018/early 2019

Caught up to current Kiseki games in 2,5+ years. \o/
please don't ruin my dreams

Bebpo

Banned
Man, summer is far. So many years until Calvard left. Hopefully at least it doesn't get delayed and it's Ys8 ps4 in the winter/spring, Sen/CS3 in the summer.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If you told me five years ago that only one two-game arc of Kiseki would be up in the air in the US, I wouldn't have believed you.
I thought the series was dead after SC.

When they announced Cold Steel I died of excitement. I even have hope for Crossbell someday now. I didn't expect Third, either.

FLD

I thought the series was dead after SC.

When they announced Cold Steel I died of excitement. I even have hope for Crossbell someday now. I didn't expect Third, either.

Cold Steel was very surprising but, if it was to happen at all, it made sense to get it done ASAP. 3rd came out of nowhere, though. I had almost given up hope and then bam, announcement way sooner than anyone could've possibly expected.

So yeah, I think there's definitely hope for Crossbell.
Unless Cold Steel II and 3rd both bomb horribly and we never get another Trails game in english ever again :(

Thoraxes

We just have to get out there and spread the good word about this series.

I've enabled a lot of my friends to pick up the series, and I have no intention of stopping!

Hell I even bought the costume DLC, and I never buy that stuff.

aravuus

Just started chapter 3 of TiTS FC an hour ago.

After being sorely disappointed in the game during my first run, I can't believe how much I'm enjoying it now. I'm still not a fan of the battle system, but everything else that I found annoying earlier - Estelle, Joshua, the slow pacing - I seem to love this time.

Particularly Estelle. She's great. I don't think I've ever done a 180 this big about a game before.

After being sorely disappointed in the game during my first run, I can't believe how much I'm enjoying it now. I'm still not a fan of the battle system, but everything else that I found annoying earlier - Estelle, Joshua, the slow pacing - I seem to love this time.

Particularly Estelle. She's great. I don't think I've ever done a 180 this big about a game before.

1463179130216.jpg

Hobbun

Over the weekend, I’ve been playing a lot of Trails in the Sky: FC and really enjoying it now. It’s taken me months to get past the prologue and most of the 1st chapter, but about when I got up to the point of
pursuing the Sky Bandits towards end of chapter 1, it’s really picked up
and I don’t want to put it down now.

I’ve gotten up to the point where I am now about to
head off to the Mercia Orphanage after the fire.

The only issue I’ve had with the game is a technical one. Ever since I’ve begun playing it on my Vita (began my save(s) on my PSP), an Error Code has popped up several times now. I believe the Error Code is a “1-03”. But it only gives me the option to hit ‘Ok’ and then it crashes out of the game.

So I’ve been saving very often now. It is no specific action that seems to trigger it, as the error code has happened while entering combat, going into a building or during talking during a lengthy cutscene. I believe the error has popped up four times now, so it doesn’t happen ‘a lot’, maybe once 4-5 hours or so, but enough to be annoying.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or do you know what could be causing it?

Estelle portraits are the best pic responce for pic responce situations.

I remember someone mentioning how approaching these games like the CRPGs they are helps. Has that been part of your strat at go #2?

aravuus

I remember someone mentioning how approaching these games like the CRPGs they are helps. Has that been part of your strat at go #2?

You know, I recall saying something very similar myself lol. Yeah, that's exactly how I've approached the game(s) this time around, and it's definitely made a difference. It's a sort of a "ignore main story, get immersed in the world" mindset for me, since I rarely care too much about the main quests in CRPGs. They're all about them character interactions and dialogue and side quests.

The difference here is that TiTS has a great story too, though. I kinda ended up running through chapter 3 cause most of the shop NPCs aren't very interesting to talk to (and they made up like a third of that chapter's NPCs) and I just wanted to see what happens next in the story lmao.

Getting close to the end, looks like FC won't take me as long as I feared it would.

e: Chapter 4 has lots of fun NPCs though, been really enjoying talking to everyone here

aravuus

Well okay, I'm kinda glad I didn't enjoy FC nearly as much the first time I played it, cause the ending was definitely much more shocking/heart breaking than I remembered and the wait for SC would have been insane lmao.

So yeah, finished FC and.. I kinda loved it. A lot. It's weird, but I guess these things happen. Went from an initial 6/10 for me to like... a 9/10, or maybe a tiny bit lower.

Shamelessly cheated and fast-forwarded my way through every battle encounter and I did end up skipping talking to some NPCs (shop keepers who never seemed to say anything actually new, stuff like that), but it still took me something like 60+ hours.

Think I'm gonna start SC right away. Same approach, talk to everyone, or at least everyone interesting, after every event, do most of the side stuff etc.

e: oh fuck yea Kevin

aravuus

Lies! Everyone in a Kiseki game have something NEW to say.
And I hate/love it, it's difficult to tell when the NPC will have something new to say.

Well, technically speaking they do, but a lot of them seem to just repeat the same thing over and over with a different wording. Nothing particularly interesting happens with most shop keepers cause they obviously need to stay put.

e: I feel your pain though lol. That NPC hunting got crazy at times. We'll see how I manage with SC.

I told you you were wrong about the game ;p

Hahah yeah, in this case I'll gladly admit I was very wrong.

Top Bottom