• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Chance (Ketamine Treatment for Depression)

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I've been suffering depression for a long-time. It seems the medications are not working anymore.
I'm told that I will be starting this treatment day 11/17/2022.
I'm scary. Anyone even did this?
I haven't but I have a close friend who is currently going through ketamine & traditional talk therapy for trauma-related mental illness

He speaks incredibly highly of it and has done his best to convince me to also try it out

I haven't but I have a close friend who is currently going through ketamine & traditional talk therapy for trauma-related mental illness

He speaks incredibly highly of it and has done his best to convince me to also try it out
God thanks for this.
Because I'm so afraid.
I have been abused as a child and lost my grandmother recently so I hope it helps, I just don't want to go nuts while doing it.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
God thanks for this.
Because I'm so afraid.
I have been abused as a child and lost my grandmother recently so I hope it helps, I just don't want to go nuts while doing it.
I'm hopeful it'll help you, and I think it will. Especially if you're doing it with the guidance of health professionals.

What I gather is that the experience is psychedelic but because ketamine has other calming properties, it's a peaceful ride. People don't tend to have the "bad trips" like you hear about with shrooms, for instance. My friend spoke about some anxiety on the come-up, but that it's easy to ride out. It's "anxiety" in the way you might be anxious to kiss a girl you like for the first time--it's a sign of good things to come, rather than fear

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Make sure your doctor isn't skipping things for treatment resistant depression. If this isn't effective (and it may take several treatments to tell,) have you tried older drugs like lithium?

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

I've tried a couple times recreationally but I'm down for the therapy way. Currently on a waiting list for treatment sans the ketamine. More breathwork related.

I haven't done the research but is it something alike MDMA therapy where you are more able to experience the trauma from a more detached pov etc?

Last edited:

TonyK

I've been suffering depression for a long-time. It seems the medications are not working anymore.
I'm told that I will be starting this treatment day 11/17/2022.
I'm scary. Anyone even did this?
I recommend you to read the book "Sedated" by James Davies. It explains how being medicated for depression for long periods of times makes you progressively more depressed. Symptoms become more severe and medication becomes progressively less effective. All the studios that the book points out show that depressed people not medicated progress better, but the ones medicated for long periods develop chronic depression.

I'm not saying you should stop medicating (you never do that by your own), but at least you could read the book and ask your therapist.

I suffered depression, tried to commit suicide and took medication, but even if it helped me at the begging I never liked how it changed my personality. What I did was to read a lot of books to understand what is depression and why occurs, to progressively stop taking medication. Now it has been for years without medication and I feel better. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel happy, I almost never I managed to feel happy, but I'm not depressed also, I'm simply stable.

I wanted to know more about depression because my mother suffered from chronic depression, also my old brother. Both started to took medication and took it until death and they NEVER healed. I simply don't want to end like them.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I've tried a couple times recreationally but I'm down for the therapy way. Currently on a waiting list for treatment sans the ketamine. More breathwork related.

I haven't done the research but is it something alike MDMA therapy where you are more able to experience the trauma from a more detached pov etc?
Yeah, thats exactly it. It's a mild psychedelic and anxiloytic, so it let's you see trauma from a new perspective while remaining calm

Maybe give magic mushrooms a go, they always left me feeling like my soul had been clensed. Using ketamine to help with depression is a new one on me.

Last edited:

mekes

Don't fret about ketamine. It's quite a calming experience even at normal doses. But the amounts used for treatment of this nature are tiny in comparison to those using for recreational use.

You probably won't notice anything at all as far as effects. You probably will just feel generally in a bit of a better mood.

Worth saying again. Don't worry about effects!

Aggelos

She's doing Ketamine (which is rather experimental) along with other meds.
So Anna Mehler Paperny is having quite a cocktail of meds, with the view of becoming one day capable of shaking off the desire to die.

Bragr

Banned
Take a look at this, it's fascinating and covers what you are talking about. His story starts at 9 minutes, which covers how he helped his mental illness through diet. He's one of the top experts at this.

Dutchy

I recommend you to read the book "Sedated" by James Davies. It explains how being medicated for depression for long periods of times makes you progressively more depressed. Symptoms become more severe and medication becomes progressively less effective. All the studios that the book points out show that depressed people not medicated progress better, but the ones medicated for long periods develop chronic depression.

I'm not saying you should stop medicating (you never do that by your own), but at least you could read the book and ask your therapist.

I suffered depression, tried to commit suicide and took medication, but even if it helped me at the begging I never liked how it changed my personality. What I did was to read a lot of books to understand what is depression and why occurs, to progressively stop taking medication. Now it has been for years without medication and I feel better. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel happy, I almost never I managed to feel happy, but I'm not depressed also, I'm simply stable.

I wanted to know more about depression because my mother suffered from chronic depression, also my old brother. Both started to took medication and took it until death and they NEVER healed. I simply don't want to end like them.
Any good health professional will tell you that antidepressants are not a permanent solution. They're not really meant to be taken for a long period of time either. But for the time being, can have miraculous effects on people (including myself). This is common knowledge over here in The Netherlands and I wonder if the book you're talking about isn't actually adressing a much larger issue: Being that people (I guess specifically in the US?) are getting AD's prescribed too quickly, with no information or guidance afterwards and no plans to ever take them off of it.

Antidepressants helped me see things from a completely different angle. It reduced the noise inside my head wherever it burdened my ability to function the most. And made me a lot less anxious in general.

I've always considered it very similar to how a lot of people describe alcohol in the sense that it kind of lets you experience things previously out of reach for some people (like extravertly socializing), but without the likes of anxiety and such. Things you can then try and become even better at but without any additives to help you take that first step.

Antidepressants made me into the person I've always wanted to be (for the most part) and it became even more apparent *after* I stopped taking them.

TonyK

Any good health professional will tell you that antidepressants are not a permanent solution. They're not really meant to be taken for a long period of time either. But for the time being, can have miraculous effects on people (including myself). This is common knowledge over here in The Netherlands and I wonder if the book you're talking about isn't actually adressing a much larger issue: Being that people (I guess specifically in the US?) are getting AD's prescribed too quickly, with no information or guidance afterwards and no plans to ever take them off of it.
Exactly that.

Dutchy

Exactly that.
That's extremely painful to hear.

I have a friend from Sweden who told me that almost everyone he knows is on some form of AD's. I geniunely wonder if we'll ever have some kind of global depression pandemic.

Aggelos

That's extremely painful to hear.

I have a friend from Sweden who told me that almost everyone he knows is on some form of AD's. I geniunely wonder if we'll ever have some kind of global depression pandemic.

Of course, we do have a global depression pandemic. This pandemic has been around even before the COVID-19 pandemic came along.
It's the modern lifestyle, the digital era, the 21st century, our tech civilization, the internet age, etc that brought this depression pandemic upon us.

I, personally, take this med...

Top Bottom