• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian early copy impressions thread

Loris146

20 FPS is not good at all but i played Demon's Souls which was ( still is) terrible performance wise and loved it. Not a deal braker for me .

Dundar

In a single player only experience like this, I pretty much prefer slow down to frame skipping/stuttering.
Sure, not a "perfect world" kind of answer to the problem, but still better then that damned frame pacing problems every game seems to have as of late.

Yeah, you replied "Perfect" to that post which was definitely odd. What he described is not perfect.

Performance like that is inexcusable in my book.
Perfect for me, in the sense that it isn't some insane drop of like 30FPS to 10 or turns into a slideshow

Dropping as little frames as that is nothing. How is a drop of like 5-7 frames "inexcusable"?

To be fair, I played MGS V at around 18-25FPS

ethomaz

Banned
I think it will be horrible for a lot of people. I don't know I was expecting framedrops but this seems a bit much.

Whether it's fine for some or not, I don't think it's ok to release a major game in this state.
I remember playing Zelda OoT and it was never terrible... it was fine.

Of course I prefer better framerate but solid 20fps is fine.

Perfect for me, in the sense that it isn't some insane drop of like 30FPS to 10 or turns into a slideshow

Dropping as little frames as that is nothing. How is a drop of like 5-7 frames "inexcusable"?
It is fine do play... not a game breaker.

But I agree it could be better.

MrHoot

I'd wager this is something that people can only get a feel for themselves sadly as framerate affinity depends greatly from person to person and from game type to game type.

I always prefer 60, but am fine with lower depending on the type of game. I would absolutely dread these framedrops in a game like Bloodborne (which already had some framepacing issues) but in a game like TLG i find it mostly fine when it happens.

Could be better of course, and I hope it gets but considering all the other parts of the game are so strong, not a deal breaker for me. Ueda is my big favourite but I hope he looks into optimization for his next work =p

Servbot24

Banned
Yeah, you replied "Perfect" to that post which was definitely odd. What he described is not perfect.

Performance like that is inexcusable in my book.

Technically nothing is perfect in the sense that everything could always be better.

That type of performance is fine for me. A game with fairly strict twitchy gameplay like Dark Souls can be mastered in ~20fps, so it certainly won't be an issue for TLG.

drotahorror

Has anyone nailed down what improvements the Pro version offers? If any yet.

A smooth experience. Which is what everyone should have had.

After reading pretty much every page of this thread I'll hold off. My shitty original PS4 can't handle this game at an acceptable framerate. I'll wait for a patch (fingers crossed it comes quick) or a deep discount.

Im fine with a game dropping frames i find it difficult to notice as long as its not not as bad as something like the Witcher 3 which was the first time i could say a game was a slideshow without hyperbole.

Nameless

To be fair, I played MGS V at around 18-25FPS

Standards are important and I get wanting your games to perform well, but this attitude that anything not running at an unimpeachable 60 or 30 is [enter dramatic pejorative here] is one of the more unfortunate trends on this forum.

holygeesus

Banned
How can a game designed for a previous generation perform so averagely though? Do projects evolve to such a degree that they become too demanding for the system they are designed for? I'm still buying, but it doesn't look *that* good to excuse that performance IMO.

MrHoot

Frame drops acceptable as long as it's a Ueda game? Got it.

Said no one here

Lower frame rate are more bearable for certain people depending on the type/speed of overall game.

It's not perfect and will probably deduce points from the game overall but it's not the determining "be all end all" to the quality of the product for certain people, including me

Frame drops acceptable as long as it's a Ueda game? Got it.
Doesn't have anything to do with it being a Ueda game. I just done care or mind if a game is 15FPS or up. Ideally, 30/60/being relatively stable is best, but if it's not, it's not an issue for me

Charamiwa

Banned
Standards are important and I get wanting your games to perform well, but this attitude that anything not running at an unimpeachable 60 or 30 is [enter dramatic pejorative here] is one of the more unfortunate trends on this forum.

Someone talked about framerate dropping as low as 15 fps. People defending that is a much more unfortunate trend in my opinion.

Asriel

Said no one here

Lower frame rate are more bearable for certain people depending on the type/speed of overall game.

It's not perfect and will probably deduce points from the game overall but it's not the determining "be all end all" to the quality of the product for certain people, including me

I'm not saying it's the "be all and all" either. I'm just tired of people already making up excuses for what may be seen as game's shortcomings. This goes for the controls as well, which despised in SotC.

balohna

I'm hyped now, where I had been cautiously optimistic. Not expecting perfection, but I feel confident I can expect something special that's worth my time and money.

LordKano

I personally couldn't play a game constantly running under 25fps. It's way too bothersome for me to fully enjoy the game.
Yeah, I know we all played and enjoyed Ocarina of Time back when we were kids even though it ran like shit, but we've now been accustomed to more comfortable standards, and devs should know that.

How can a game designed for a previous generation perform so averagely though? Do projects evolve to such a degree that they become too demanding for the system they are designed for? I'm still buying, but it doesn't look *that* good to excuse that performance IMO.
It was designed during a previous generation but it was too advanced for that generation literally. They were speeding up the PS3 footage because it would be single digit framerates on PS3

It's not about how the game looks; it's what's happening under the surface (hundreds of feathers and grass and the dynamic AI and animations simultaneously)

Servbot24

Banned
Someone talked about framerate dropping as low as 15 fps. People defending that is a much more unfortunate trend in my opinion.

I'm not defending it. It's just irrelevant. Doesn't even enter my mind while playing a game like this. I only care about the actual game.

So many of the greatest games ever made have relatively low framerates, all I care about is the amazing game design they had.

S1kkZ

Im fine with a game dropping frames i find it difficult to notice as long as its not not as bad as something like the Witcher 3 which was the first time i could say a game was a slideshow without hyperbole.

oh, its a lot worse than witcher 3 (pre-october 2015 patch). the swamp area (locked 20 fps before the patch) felt smoother and more responsive than most areas here.

I'm not saying it's the "be all and all" either. I'm just tired of people already making up excuses for what may be seen as game's shortcomings. This goes for the controls as well, which despised in SotC.

The framerate is a problem, the camera can be a problem, the controls are not. They are done in a certain way on purpose, and you can like them or not, and that's fine.

Servbot24

Banned
Is this a joke?

There are different types of games. They don't all need to have the same qualities. A quality that is great for some games can actually hurt others. It depends on how the creator wants you to feel while you're playing their game. I absolutely love the sharpness of the controls in Mega Man X for example, it's probably my favorite feeling in video games. But I don't need that quality to be forced onto every other game.

Those videos are referring to the animation, though, which I said I adored.
The animations and controls are inexorably linked. Worth the watch

The speed of animation and movement is important to tone. Compare how Dark Souls' combat feels versus Devil May Cry. Deliberate, weighty, heavy versus lighting-fast

ethomaz

Banned
I like my controls to be snappy and precise.

And regardless of the intention, controls can be bad.
Yeap controls can be bad no matter intention but "snappy and precise" not qualify a good control.

Some games are better with slow and weighted control than others and that makes them perfect.

SoC is one perfect example... it is designed to be that way because you are not a super human precise in moviments... you need to feel your are human.

Dark Souls / Bloodborne are not fast and precise too and that make than perfect to play.

MazeHaze

Banned
Doesn't have anything to do with it being a Ueda game. I just done care or mind if a game is 15FPS or up. Ideally, 30/60/being relatively stable is best, but if it's not, it's not an issue for me

As long as it's 15 FPS or up it's fine? What the fuck am i even reading.

Edit: These performance impressions are extremely disappointing. I guess I'll hold off and hope for a patch.

Asriel

He does and they do

Agree to disagree. Still not sure how those videos prove any of your points. :shrug:

I guess I just didn't get what Ico was going for. But I can't help feel that everytime people mention they dislike an aspect of any Team Ico games, some users here can't help but defend what otherwise would be considered flaws in other games.

MazeHaze

Banned
What's the issue?
How is 15 FPS acceptable? Anything below 30 is extremely hard to play for me.

Completely unacceptable, especially for a game designed for last gen hardware and in development for 8 years.

I would rather never play a game than play it at 15fps, that is a slideshow and gives me a major headache.

SomTervo

As long as it's 15 FPS or up it's fine? What the fuck am i even reading.

Games like OG OoT hover around 15 IIRC. As long as it's playable i don't really care. I was 100% fine with launch AC Unity, for instance. It was completely playable. The gameplay wasn't hindered. Obviously that's not ideal but it's just not a big priority for me. If the gameplay is good enough i find it easy to forget.

When it becomes a slide show obviously that isn't playable. I really doubt that will happen with TLG.

Top Bottom