• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian Poll

I played The Last Guardian and

• I HAVE a pet(s) and/or kid(s) in real life and I find the game to be good

Votes: 42 46.7%
  • I HAVE a pet(s) and/or kid(s) in real life and I find the game to be frustrating

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • I DONT have pet(s) and/or kid(s) in real life and I find the game to be good

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • I DONT have pet(s) and/or kid(s) in real life and I find the game to be frustrating

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters
it was a decent game, but coming out after SotC means there was basically no way it could live up to the hype. I still think it’s overall the worst of the 3 games. SotC, Ico, TGL imo.
Doesn’t mean it’s a bad game, it’s just not as good as the first two games they made.

On topic, I’ve had cats and dogs for years and years, and I thought the game was frustrating for sure. Partially the dog not listening, and partially the controls of the boy. Both felt unresponsive at times. I just don’t think this kind of thing translates well into a game. Maybe it should have been a show of some kind instead.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I didn't have a pet when I played it and I was still completely blown away by it.

I must have had the luckiest playthrough becuase I never had any issues with trico.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Loooooooove Trico Sony needs a news japanese studio

What has this game got to do with having a dog or a kid in real life? If either my dog or kid was a dumb as Trico I’d be in trouble.
smile-tommy-boy.gif

CGNoire

I dont remember ever dealing with the Frustration of training a new pet and thinking to myself....."This would be a fun game mechanic".

Even if you think its a novel idea its Seriously a dumb decision to have Trico fight with you much past the 1st couple hours.

DelireMan7

I am also curious about that.

I personally loved the game and especially Trico's behavior.
I have a dog (and now kids but not when I played the game) and grew up with dogs (No, I was not raised by them).
Trico's behavior seems really on point with a real domestic animal. The fact that you have to repeat a command several for him to listen seemed like a normal thing for a pet owner.
I get that it can be frustrating. I found it amusing. I was like "Of course you don't listen me now !" then went next to him to try to explain him again. It was the first time I was speaking directly to a virtual character in front of my TV, I spend playthrough speaking with Trico like I do with my dog.

PanzerCute

I didn't have a pet when I played it and I was still completely blown away by it.

I must have had the luckiest playthrough becuase I never had any issues with trico.
Same, and the few times he didnt want to listen felt natural and funny, not something frustrating.

Oh and the game blew me away too. The final hour is absolutely insane, I will never forget that.

reezoo

What has this game got to do with having a dog or a kid in real life? If either my dog or kid was a dumb as Trico I’d be in trouble.
I have couple of kids, you definitely need to have patience while they are growing up, they dont born with everything learned.
Another point of this is poll is to see if having pets / kids makes you more tolerable, Trico is like an untrained pet, : ) not sure if it learns over the game.
This will clear when we compare the ratio of DONT(good)/DONT(frustrating) vs HAVE(good)/HAVE(frustrating)

reezoo

Another thing is developers could have made Trico follow exactly as you say, seems a much easier thing code (I am a programmer), but would it had made the game better?

Pelta88

All I know is that it was a beautiful game. Trico didn't always do what I asked immediately but that's part of the charm because in reality, what pet does.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I see no connection between the game and real-life pets. If I pet a dog or a cat in any games that have these mechanics does that mean I love to do it in real life? No. I dont punch people in the face and teabag them in real life, although some would deserve it. Maybe some would feel a connection as there are a lot of emotional people out there but it is not an absolute.

reezoo

I see no connection between the game and real-life pets. If I pet a dog or a cat in any games that have these mechanics does that mean I love to do it in real life? No. I dont punch people in the face and teabag them in real life, although some would deserve it. Maybe some would feel a connection as there are a lot of emotional people out there but it is not an absolute.
Point of the poll is to see if there is a connection or not. results so far is negative correlation :)
29/9 vs 20/2

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Trico was like a movable step stool, so no. I see pets like companions and Trico felt forced upon the player. Which is weird because it’s focused around you and the animal. I was more into SotC where your horse was a lot more serviceable and it was more relatable to me in terms of living with the animal.

Valonquar

All the smoothbrain people that got frustrated with the pathing AI Trico used just didn't get how it worked. There was a single room in the early game that could have been tweaked but otherwise, it worked just fine.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Just because last guardian has bad controls doesn’t mean it can’t be good, it’s worth the initial frustration.

Top Bottom