• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Jedi is the cover of EW's Fall Movie Preview (light spoilers)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Technically speaking her eyeholes looked like a cross between an orange and an arse
That's not technology. That's art direction lol. Technically speaking her eye shading was incredibly well done as was the amount of detail they put in to translate the performance of the actress.

Give it a few years and she'll age like shit like every cgi thing ever.
There's plenty of CGI in film that has aged gracefully. Davy Jones for example.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Was so excited when they announced Lupita was in Star Wars, was looking for her all throughout my first watch of Episode VII.

Had to google it when I got home and realized she was playing the orange turd with goggles? What a waste of her talents.

Surfinn

Have we hit rock bottom with orange turd with goggles? Or is there room to go lower?

Maz could have been implemented better, but the hyperbole in this thread is ridiculous

Have we hit rock bottom with orange turd with goggles? Or is there room to go lower?

Maz could have been implemented better, but the hyperbole in this thread is ridiculous

Orange turd w/ goggles is a bit much but to not take advantage of Lupita's talents is the disappointment.
We know from 12 Years A Slave that she's got acting chops, she also happens to be strikingly beautiful.
So to put her in an entirely CG character that looks like Max does is a huge waste imo.

Maybe it's nonsensical but something like Grace Jones circa A View To A Kill style outfit coupled with some Star Warsy enhancements and Lupita's beauty.
That type of character would've been a refreshing new face of a Yoda like figure

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Was so excited when they announced Lupita was in Star Wars, was looking for her all throughout my first watch of Episode VII.

Had to google it when I got home and realized she was playing the orange turd with goggles? What a waste of her talents.
She specifically auditioned for the mocap role. And mocap acting is still acting, arguably it's an even harder form of acting due to the ridiculousness of wearing a performance capture suit. She nailed regardless.

Interesting how "Lupita's talents" is coming to be a synonym for "her face."

Like she's not really acting if you can't see her

Fair point, Andy Serkis and the team of special effect artists certainly show that there's a great deal of acting that can be done via mo cap.
Speaking of which, if Maz''s design was as compelling as Caesar's, and written in a little more interesting way, I think there's be less disappointment.
Certainly she's just a supporting character but I think finding Maz a let down on a certain level is understandable.

sphagnum

Banned
I can get why people are upset about Lupita being a minor CGI character. There's barely any black women in Star Wars - well, at least the movies. The new canon has been adding tons of important black female characters (Steela Gerrera, Sana Starros, Ciena Ree, Rae Sloane - I mean come on, the de facto successor to Palpatine in the public eye and probable founder of the First Order is a black woman!), but it hasnt translated to film yet.

That said, Lupita can decide for herself what she wants to audition for.

You've got someone saying her "beauty" is wasted on a CGI character & fantazising about having a closer lookalike as her character to showcase her beauty.

Did I miss a post (and really, link to it if I did) referencing her appearance or is this another implication of what the person meant? I can say I wish Andy Serkis was in more movies as himself rather than a mocapped character without it being a reference to his appearance, can I? I don't see why some of you think the poster just wants to gawk at her and that's why they're disappointed at her being a CG character. It's a bit of a leap. I'll agree that her being a CG character isn't really a "waste" because she's essentially doing all the same acting she otherwise would, just with a really uncomfortable mocap get up on

You've got someone saying her "beauty" is wasted on a CGI character & fantazising about having a closer lookalike as her character to showcase her beauty.

If Maz's cg character design/writing behind it was more compelling then I'd be perfectly cool with that.
I'm not beholdant to the idea that her human face is the only way to go.
There's been compelling CG characters in the SW universe already with characters like Watto.
I found Maz to not be on that level, hence being let down by her character. If that's fantasizing then so be it, I just expected more from her character.
And I say that as a fan of TFA, I found Maz to be one of those elements that didn't work as well as it could.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Maz was a bit of a non-character in Force Awakens, for me. Like quite a lot of the characters in TFA, I think she needed much more meat to her.

Give it a few years and she'll age like shit like every cgi thing ever.

giphy.gif

The CGI in T2 is used well, but it's also very obvious that it's 1991-era CGI.

(of course "aging" as an automatic knock against quality of filmmaking is a specious metric as it is)

Surfinn

Orange turd w/ goggles is a bit much but to not take advantage of Lupita's talents is the disappointment.
We know from 12 Years A Slave that she's got acting chops, she also happens to be strikingly beautiful.
So to put her in an entirely CG character that looks like Max does is a huge waste imo.

Maybe it's nonsensical but something like Grace Jones circa A View To A Kill style outfit coupled with some Star Warsy enhancements and Lupita's beauty.
That type of character would've been a refreshing new face of a Yoda like figure

Sure she is beautiful, but using her lack of appearance as criticism in a role where she plays a fucking 3 foot Star Wars alien is a really strange and clunky argument to make.

They mocapped her and used her voice, so I do think they used her talents. It's just that the final product wasn't as satisfying as it could have been.

I really wish they had enough time to have done a puppet, but for what it was, it worked in TFA, imo.

George Lucas still offers the Star Wars films suggestions on the Jedi
Since The Last Jedi will take fans on a journey to the primitive first temple of the Force-wielding order, it seems like a good time to revisit a comment Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy made to EW at this year’s Star Wars Celebration.

Kennedy, who has known and worked with Lucas since their Raiders of the Lost Ark days, was asked if he still offers input into the films and stories being developed.

“Not really,” she said. “But he’ll whisper in my ear every now and then. Usually it’s something specific or important to him about Jedi training. Things like that.”

-griffy-

Banned
I posted this over in community but it bears repeating here. I dreamt the new trailer came out and revealed a new character, an Ewok musician voiced by John Williams. His introduction involved him spinning down a dust-covered ship leaving a spiral trail behind. In my dream mind, the spinning was a cool artistic flourish of Rian Johnson. Help.

Top Bottom