• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Is 'Hands Down the Most Ambitious Game Naughty Dog Has Ever Made' - 'You Are Not Ready For TLOU 2' Says Troy Baker.

Jesb

Would be great to have this game now during this quarantine. But a part of me is considering skipping it and getting the inevitable ps5 version.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I don't get the hate for the gameplay. I thought it was fine.

I enjoyed the game and its mp but the lack of mp and Ellie being the main character does nothing to hype me as I don't like her and couldn't even keep interest in the Left Behind dlc.

I will most likely just gamefly the game to play it. I'll buy it when its complete with mp, if they don't ruin mp with microtransactions.

Soulsdark

Do people actually buy it when actors say these things?
They're actors, acting is even part of the marketing process.
It's like this in movies too, even if you HATE the director and think that the movie is shit you still have to praise it to the heavens as an actor xD...

Not saying that the game is going to be bad, I just don't get why anyone cares what the people involve have to say about it.
What else are they supposed to say?

Last edited:

Soulsdark

I agree. I just don’t like the gameplay at all. Horrible AI.

This sums it up for me pretty well:

Really killed the game for me.

Lol at that dislike bar.
I really hate the fandom surrounding these games and Sony exclusives just in general, they treat any sort of criticism as some crime against humanity.
It's like this with any big Sony exclusive, criticize them at all and you get dogpiled to an insane level...

ZywyPL

Banned
What did the last of us do? How is it different to uncharted - other than setting?
I played the first part - but AFTER - all the the hype... and it wasn’t nearly as good as everyone said.

Happened for me with UC2 as well, played the game like a month after its release, and I was like "what, that's it?" And I remember the drama with some review saying UC2 is an 8/10 game and I couldn't understand it, because it really was, technically and graphically impressive at the time sure, but plot and gameplay weren't that great, especially the gameplay which was more exhausting than fun.

That's the thing I always find common all most/all GOTY contenders, if you play then after all the hype settles down there's nothing impressive, the technical execution is top notch, but the part that's most important, the gameplay, is typically bad, if not terrible.

TLoU2 already looks like a next-gen title, so it'll obviously get all the praise there is, but month or two later we will see topics widely popping up complaining this or that.

jonnyp

Would be great to have this game now during this quarantine. But a part of me is considering skipping it and getting the inevitable ps5 version.

Been thinking the same that I should just wait with TLOU part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima and play them on PS5, especially if they get them running at 60fps on PS5.

GymWolf

It is amazing what skilled players can do and shows how f’ing dumb the walking simulator moniker is... just a semi politically correct form of blatant console warring.
also the gunplay\gore\melee is some of the meatiest ever made in a tps, just looks at that shotgun... it easily tops a lot of tps on current gen, and tlou2 if trailers are true, it's gonna be even better.
i can't wait to see all the gore and body damage with their incredible care for details.
this scene with the perfect matching bullet hole, the blood, the facial expression etc it's mindblowing
anigif_sub-buzz-2186-1529539993-1.gif

Last edited:
Replaying the last of us remastered now - what a game and cannot wait to play the sequel which may be the game of the generation. The graphics on the sequel don’t look next gen in my opinion, but are some of the best this generation.

South

Banned
I've played it and beat it. Speaking from experience, it's too linear and restrictive for my tastes, gameplay is meh, and it felt like a chore to play (but that's the point of survival horror isn't it?).

The sequel is fixing some major issues, like replayability and worthwhile features, like more in depth crafting which I was excited to see. I'd like to see an open world, more "gamey" TLOU game though.

Nope, you're not the only one. It is, and story wise it's generic but for a game it's not bad.

its a great bottle throwing simulator /s

the game itself is quite basic nothing i have not seen from others but the story was so tight that it elevates the game. It goes to show the power of a compelling story and not treating your users to some basic trope bullshit.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Happened for me with UC2 as well, played the game like a month after its release, and I was like "what, that's it?" And I remember the drama with some review saying UC2 is an 8/10 game and I couldn't understand it, because it really was, technically and graphically impressive at the time sure, but plot and gameplay weren't that great, especially the gameplay which was more exhausting than fun.

That's the thing I always find common all most/all GOTY contenders, if you play then after all the hype settles down there's nothing impressive, the technical execution is top notch, but the part that's most important, the gameplay, is typically bad, if not terrible.

TLoU2 already looks like a next-gen title, so it'll obviously get all the praise there is, but month or two later we will see topics widely popping up complaining this or that.
It comes with the territory :) any highly praised game will get people that feel left out when their opinion doesn't match other's

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I dont doubt its gonna be amazing, but what else would an actor say when speaking about a game he is in?

TLOU had one of the worst and most infuriating endings in gaming.

Druckman is an awful writer who pushes an agenda of "equality" while simultaneously pushes out a woman who has ten times the talent he does.

Naughty Dog has been a lost cause since Uncharted 4 with Nate and his brother getting beaten up by a girl half their size.

Imotekh

I don't expect a whole lot from this game. It could have an interesting story, great graphics and animation but at the end of the day it's just another 3rd person Naughty Dog game. Happy to be proven wrong but not going to buy it just because collective hype sets a high bar.

Replaying the last of us remastered also makes me a appreciate the strides forward in character animation, pop in and even in giving us less static environments since then. I think rdr2 is a great game to compare in terms of how to make a relatively sparse environment feel ‘alive’. There are times when the last of us feels a bit too static and there is pop I didn’t even notice before. The ssd drive and new technology will eliminate and improve this.

Soulsdark

also the gunplay\gore\melee is some of the meatiest ever made in a tps, just looks at that shotgun... it easily tops a lot of tps on current gen, and tlou2 if trailers are true, it's gonna be even better.
i can't wait to see all the gore and body damage with their incredible care for details.
this scene with the perfect matching bullet hole, the blood, the facial expression etc it's mindblowing

I think that people should really take that trailer with a massive pinch of salt tho tbh.
The dude who talked recently about the crunch culture at Naughty Dogs said that the animation team crunched an insane amount for this trailer specifically, I sincerely doubt that it's representative of the actual gameplay.
They showed off a bunch of stuff for the first game too that wasn't there or was totally different in the actual game. It's just standard practice to make things look fancier for trailers and marketing, and Naughty Dog has the money to put even more into that just to show off.
A controlled short scene that goes on for a couple of minutes is quite different than the real thing tho.

Shmunter

I think that people should really take that trailer with a massive pinch of salt tho tbh.
The dude who talked recently about the crunch culture at Naughty Dogs said that the animation team crunched an insane amount for this trailer specifically, I sincerely doubt that it's representative of the actual gameplay.
They showed off a bunch of stuff for the first game too that wasn't there or was totally different in the actual game. It's just standard practice to make things look fancier for trailers and marketing, and Naughty Dog has the money to put even more into that just to show off.
A controlled short scene that goes on for a couple of minutes is quite different than the real thing tho.
Hopefully not the case. A more recent example, Uncharted 4 early gameplay was all legit.

GymWolf

what impress me in that gif is the care for details more than animations and ND are famous for this type of things.
I'm cautiously optimistic with this one but you have a point, tlou final version was not exactly the same compared to tlou reveal.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Side note, this game being a pandemic apocalypse story, it’s going to sell like no other.

Generations of art, media, entertainment will be influenced by what’s happening today.

Kagero

Vicious! TBH, this is the only thing that's a bit of a turn off for me. Not Politics, not plot, but the violence might be a bit too much. Still looking forward to it but man. So brutal.

Jon Neu

Banned
Didn't some actors call out Last Jedi for the incoherent snorefest it was? Not sure, thought I saw that somewhere.

Mark Hamill, basically.

And John Boyega recently, long after everything was done about the movie.

I do remember some Game Of Thrones actors throwing shade at the scripts of the last two seasons.

Last edited:

sainraja

I really hope that the new last of us game avoids things like this:

I was playing through and I had just passed that area, decided to go back and somehow all this stuff is there? like the blue desk.....and other stuff around it? no in-game event that explains that happening. There are other instances where things like this happen too. For some reason it bothers me more than it should lol.

I like the Resident Evil approach of letting you navigate back to areas you've been to. I don't think I would have minded this in last of us if it wasn't so deliberate and lazy on their part.....I mean, come on. They can do better than that.

Last edited:

Soulsdark

Because he's paid to.

Vicious! TBH, this is the only thing that's a bit of a turn off for me. Not Politics, not plot, but the violence might be a bit too much. Still looking forward to it but man. So brutal.

It's basically a trailer so I wouldn't be too much hype about it tbh.
The gameplay in that trailer was very clearly given a ton of special attention to animation, if you watch in-game footage that is more recent and from the actual game it doesn't look like in that trailer.

Last edited:

docbot

Banned
The game looks really great and realistic, but I have no clue why they would keep the f****** bottles, I would have hoped that instead of bottles you could just pick up different items to throw and smash over peoples heads.

The gameplay footage so far looks really intense and great, but the bottles just break the illusion for me, especially since it's still seems to be the same bottle all over again. I would have hoped for ripping out stationary phones or other cleverly placed items in intense scenes.

Top Bottom