• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 1 on PC; another casualty added to the list of bad ports?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Interesting. Just a couple weeks ago you were singing a different tune:
Nothing has changed since I wrote this. I'm downloading the game right now, but there's a small nuance - I didn't buy it and no one should given the state of the PC port. I'll be making a few PC vs PS5 comparison soon. Thankfully, I only need to make a couple of shots and there's no need to play through this BS PC port at all.

Native 4k results. Ouch at 2080 which is supposedly on par with the PS5. These are ultra settings though, the PS5 might be using high. we dont know.
3070 is 30% faster than PS5's GPU and it only manages to get 40FPS at native 1440p. Now, granted, that's on Ultra + BS PC port and I highly doubt that there is much difference between most of the settings below that (Very High and maybe High). The game is even broken in some aspects on PC visually so there's that as well.

Anyway, can't wait to show to those who still naively think that the game is running at native 4K on the PS5 and believed Sony, ND and DF - were wrong this whole time.

Last edited:

Seider

¿Why is it a bad port when the game uses 12 Gb of Vram in Playstation 5?

¿Why is it a bad port for asking exactly the same on PC?

Yoboman

lol what? dude they released two games in one year last year. Spiderman and Miles.

or a game and a half if you want to be petty.

This is literally Naughty Dog's PC port. Everyone is blaming Iron Galaxy but they had very little to do with this. This is on ND and ND is leagues ahead of Nixxes.

To people playing with controllers, are you getting stuttering when turning the camera? I thought this was a mouse and keyboard issue.

What are you talking about? In less than a year and a half after being acquired they already had released two ported games.
I had assumed the reason they were bought instead of hired was because they had a larger than normal amount of resources to take on quite a few porting projects at once. So far I don't see why they weren't just hired per project like Jetpack and IronGalaxy have been

For comparison Bluepoint pushed out SOTC Remake in a little over 2 years and then Demons Souls in a year and a half,and those were ground up remakes. So yeah was expecting Nixxes to come in hot like that

Thebonehead

Banned
Just buy download more VRAM.
Just need a vram version of this.

It works. Honest!!!!!!!!!!

AjvCyM8.jpg

Thebonehead

Banned

As per their support page they're currently investigating...
  • Loading shaders takes longer than expected
  • Performance and stability is degraded while shaders are loading in the background
  • Older graphics drivers leads to instability and/or graphical problems
  • Game may be unable to boot despite meeting the minimum system requirements
  • A potential memory leak

Last edited:
I had assumed the reason they were bought instead of hired was because they had a larger than normal amount of resources to take on quite a few porting projects at once. So far I don't see why they weren't just hired per project like Jetpack and IronGalaxy have been

For comparison Bluepoint pushed out SOTC Remake in a little over 2 years and then Demons Souls in a year and a half,and those were ground up remakes. So yeah was expecting Nixxes to come in hot like that

It would have been nice to have them on this port. It's a fucking PS FLagship game.. there has to have been some kind of miscommunication at some point.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

As per their support page they're currently investigating...
  • Loading shaders takes longer than expected
oh stfu ND. it takes hours on regular CPUs and half an hour on 5.0 GHz CPUs. There is no fucking way they didnt run into this issue before launch. No fucking way. its happening with everyone.

This shouldve been their first clue. If the fucking shader comp is taking that long, there is something really fucking wrong. I can safely say I have never seen anything quite like this. Absolute nonsense.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
3070 is 30% faster than PS5's GPU and it only manages to get 40FPS at native 1440p. Now, granted, that's on Ultra + BS PC port and I highly doubt that there is much difference between most of the settings below that (Very High and maybe High). The game is even broken in some aspects on PC visually so there's that as well.

A million benchmarks point to VRAM bottleneck and this genius wants to talk about the theoretical GPU compute performance of an 8gb card.

Fail Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
A potential Memory Leak.

Lets see how the 3080 does after the first patch.

Black_Stride

So people who dont meet the rec spec are complaining that their cards catn handle Ultra spec?
8GB cards have the VRAM to run at high but not at Ultra.
FsWkdsaWwAAk1dm

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
A million benchmarks point to VRAM bottleneck and this genius wants to talk about the theoretical GPU compute performance of an 8gb card.
There's no VRAM bottleneck as even more powerful rigs have problems and there's clearly huge memory leak issues (be it VRAM or RAM or both at the same time). Fuck performance, TLOU PC Port is atrocious, they'll never fix it just like they never did and never will when it comes to Uncharted. I don't care about performance, the only thing I care about right now is to debunk BS "native 4K on the PS5" claims.

So people who dont meet the rec spec are complaining that their cards catn handle Ultra spec?
8GB cards have the VRAM to run at high but not at Ultra.
FsWkdsaWwAAk1dm
I've 32 gigs of RAM so I don't care if it's using 22+ - which is just downright unacceptable to say the least, no matter how you slice it, and that's 1080p, dude. PS5 has only 16 gigs and only about 12 available for games, maybe even less, so in comparison it's effin' 30 gig usage on PC ffs.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Anyway, can't wait to show to those who still naively think that the game is running at native 4K on the PS5 and believed Sony, ND and DF - were wrong this whole time.

I don't care about performance, the only thing I care about right now is to debunk BS "native 4K on the PS5" claims.

Lol, we're done here. There's only so much second-hand embarrassment I can take.

Sho_Gunn

Banned
played the first hour or so with a 3070TI/ 5600x. I let the shaders load up to 100% before I started the game and tbh it's not game breaking stuttering, I was surprised at the consistent 60fps I was getting at certain points. This is all at 1440p with mostly but not all set on high/ultra.

Last edited:
I’m not going to pretend I’m extremely technical but that VRAM usage does seem quite high.

Although saying that, Resident Evil 4 crashes with anything over 8GB of VRAM usage on my 3080.

I’m looking forward to seeing what Nvidia push out over the next couple of years. I don’t really want to upgrade my 3080 but that 10GB is just not quite enough to hit 1440p high settings in some of the more recent titles. May look at AMD next time as they throw VRAM at their cards.

Black_Stride

Game also prefers Intel and not like > 8 (12?) core CPUs.
>8
The 7950X is matching the 12900K
The 7600X is matching the 5900X

If anything this is one of the only games that seems to load up threads, so people with oldergen Ryzen can enjoy some benefits to all their cores.
Even the 12600K seems to be getting a decent work out.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Was about to post this. At this point, I think it's pretty clear PC gamers don't care for games like Uncharted or TLOU. GOW, Spider-Man, and HZD did far better numbers. Sony needs to carefully pick their games moving forward. Just tossing everything on PC won't pay off.

Demon's Souls
Bloodborne
Ghost of Tsushima
HFW
GOWR

These should be their primary focus and will do fantastic numbers on PC. TLOU only peaked at 24K on PC according to Steam Charts. That's not a lot, especially compared to a similar game such as RE4R that did 111K.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Also, max settings 3440x1440 in the intro and first chapter 100-120fps so far. The shaders took a whopping 17 minutes to compile but I don't have a single stutter...but that's also on a 4090+13900K+32GB DDR5 RAM CL34 6000.

I recall the game looking much better than this though? This looks like a PS4 game through and through. Last time I played was back in 2016 on my PS4 Pro and to my recollection, it was a looker. It still looks alright but nothing spectacular. Certainly not better-looking than HFW or GOWR which are both cross-gen games but I suppose this one has PS3 roots so it sort of evens out.

Last edited:
I feel like I dodged a bullet when I bought a 3090 instead of 3080. I knew the 10 GB Vram sounded really limiting.
I have a 4080 with 16GB and wish I had went for the 4090 lol. Haven't bought the game but shocked at seeing other games use so much VRAM.

10-12GB on 3000 cards outside the 3090 is a joke.

Bojji

>8
The 7950X is matching the 12900K
The 7600X is matching the 5900X

If anything this is one of the only games that seems to load up threads, so people with oldergen Ryzen can enjoy some benefits to all their cores.
Even the 12600K seems to be getting a decent work out.

12600K has more cores than 5600x. 5600x is usually very close to 5900X because very few games actually benefit from more than 6/12 configuration but here difference is quite big.

7600X probably benefits mostly from IPC gains (compared to Z3).

I feel like I dodged a bullet when I bought a 3090 instead of 3080. I knew the 10 GB Vram sounded really limiting.
I have a 4080 with 16GB and wish I had went for the 4090 lol. Haven't bought the game but shocked at seeing other games use so much VRAM.

10-12GB on 3000 cards outside the 3090 is a joke.

Game has no major vram issue or requirements. It uses at around 7 gb 1440p native, no fsr or dlss. Stop crying about vram without knowing facts. And when they'll fix it, it'll prolly use even less. Most people who complained about VRAM prolly just put textures to ultra for no reason. Theres no reason anyone should use ultra even with high vram gpus, theres barely any difference.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

12600K has more cores than 5600x. 5600x is usually very close to 5900X because very few games actually benefit from more than 6/12 configuration but here difference is quite big.

7600X probably benefits mostly from IPC gains (compared to Z3).
That my point.

You said the game dislikes >8 cores.
But clearly its actually loading up atleast 16 threads and leveraging AMD r9s with their high core count by putting the game on full threads not SMT threads.
The r9 5900X gets spanked by the 7600X 9 times out of 10....but for this game they are very close, that tells you the game is actually making up the IPC difference by loading up threads.

Even 3900X is matching the 5600X, something that shouldnt really be possible unless the game is loading up threads, so this game does like threads and is clearly actually using high core count systems.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Not sure again writing this.

AM I THE ONLY ONE, who has issue with controller, that characters simply refuse to often walk forward even if you hold stick forward??

Never encountered such shit issue and it is infuriating. Steam Forums have few threads, but nothing useful in them

Skifi28

Not sure again writing this.

AM I THE ONLY ONE, who has issue with controller, that characters simply refuse to often walk forward even if you hold stick forward??

Never encountered such shit issue and it is infuriating. Steam Forums have few threads, but nothing useful in them
Just to be safe, have you tried with a second controller to make sure? I often think it's the game and it turns out it's just my controller starting to go bad.

Thaedolus

PC gamers are funny. Constantly credit their hardware when they can run a game as they desire, but blame everything except their hardware when they can't.
Well, when you have two major releases back to back, and one is a totally competent PC version that runs like butter with no hassles while the console versions have issues (RE4) and the other apparently is a buggy piece of shit port, what’s the logical conclusion?

I can’t think of a single PC GamePass release that I’ve tried which has been trash at launch, for example, and it’s not like the XSX hardware isn’t neck and neck with PS5 hardware. It’s logical to conclude it’s developer incompetence when there are so many examples of perfect PC versions out there which absolutely smoke consoles on even modest rigs. A Steam Deck can run RE4 for crying out loud.

The one area that seems to be clearly in favor of fixed hardware is shader compilations, but even then there’s a way to competently handle that on PC and there’s a bad way to do it.

Last edited:
Game has no major vram issue or requirements. It uses at around 7 gb 1440p native, no fsr or dlss. Stop crying about vram without knowing facts. And when they'll fix it, it'll prolly use even less. Most people who complained about VRAM prolly just put textures to ultra for no reason. Theres no reason anyone should use ultra even with high vram gpus, theres barely any difference.
I ain't crying about shit. As I said I don't have the game so not pretending I know anything. Just saying that I've noticed games using more VRAM and I wish I went for more. People can't expect to run games at max settings as they are getting more demanding unless they have something like a 3090/4090 and it makes no sense unless they are playing at 4K to have such high res textures.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Just to be safe, have you tried with a second controller to make sure? I often think it's the game and it turns out it's just my controller starting to go bad.
Yeah I did, also Wireless/Plug-in, so I can play with keyboard. I am not the problem, my GF wants to play and she hates keyboard, due to having issues with motion sickness. And I am guessing that is some connection between hand and eyes.

So yeah I guess wait..

MarkyG

Well, when you have two major releases back to back, and one is a totally competent PC version that runs like butter with no hassles while the console versions have issues (RE4) and the other apparently is a buggy piece of shit port, what’s the logical conclusion?

I can’t think of a single PC GamePass release that I’ve tried which has been trash at launch, for example, and it’s not like the XSX hardware isn’t neck and neck with PS5 hardware. It’s logical to conclude it’s developer incompetence when there are so many examples of perfect PC versions out there which absolute smoke consoles on even modest rigs. A Steam Deck can run RE4 for crying out loud.

The one area that seems to be clearly in favor of fixed hardware is shader compilations, but even then there’s a way to competently handle that on PC and there’s a bad way to do it.
Not to mention the dozens of other games in our Steam libraries that run without issue.

Last edited:

Bojji

That my point.

You said the game dislikes >8 cores.
But clearly its actually loading up atleast 16 threads and leveraging AMD r9s with their high core count by putting the game on full threads not SMT threads.
The r9 5900X gets spanked by the 7600X 9 times out of 10....but for this game they are very close, that tells you the game is actually making up the IPC difference by loading up threads.

Even 3900X is matching the 5600X, something that shouldnt really be possible unless the game is loading up threads, so this game does like threads and is clearly actually using high core count systems.

Yeah, i fucked up "<, >" signs 😅

This is interesting, people are complaint about bad port but bad port wouldn't be optimized for multicore this well. Game clearly has Vram problems and runs slower on console-equivalent hardware than on actual console but i don't think this port is bad at all.

Black_Stride

Yeah, i fucked up "<, >" signs 😅

This is interesting, people are complaint about bad port but bad port wouldn't be optimized for multicore this well. Game clearly has Vram problems and runs slower on console-equivalent hardware than on actual console but i don't think this port is bad at all.
People always load up Ultra everything then complain their card from years ago cant run the game at 120fps.
For this game basically use High textures instead of Ultra textures and even a card from 4 years ago will run it fine.

It actually leverage high core count systems is a good thing in my book.
More games need to be parallelized this well.

OZ9000

Banned
I’m not going to pretend I’m extremely technical but that VRAM usage does seem quite high.

Although saying that, Resident Evil 4 crashes with anything over 8GB of VRAM usage on my 3080.

I’m looking forward to seeing what Nvidia push out over the next couple of years. I don’t really want to upgrade my 3080 but that 10GB is just not quite enough to hit 1440p high settings in some of the more recent titles. May look at AMD next time as they throw VRAM at their cards.
Nvidia will still continue to release 8GB cards in 2024. The one thing AMD does well is max out memory on their GPUs.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
So, I'm not going to sit and wait for half a day for effin' shaders to compile while my CPU running at 100% ~80c and eating up 120W. This port should't have been releases in this state even for at least 5-6 more years for the people not to have x4 times overpriced hardware to run the game at a modern and standard resolution which is 4K and not be VRAM limited by Nvidia's greedy fucks even when it comes to x080 level cards.

PS5 version shits all over this BS PC port starting from load times, zero shader compilation and simple af insert the disc and play experience. The only thing this BS port excels at over PS5 version is a shit ton of gfx options - you can even tell by just looking at what they do, how and in which ways PS5 version was tuned and compromised - every option has description and visual feedback so you can see the changes in visuals. Now I don't think that there was any kind of image reconstruction in the PS5 version, but it is clear as day that even if it's running at 4K, it is sure as hell not full native 4K experience if a ton of options were lowered way below what is needed for native 4K, some of the options have even toggles to lower the resolution by half or even more so it explains everything.

What ND did for the PS5 versions is tuned gfx options so that the game could fit into ~12GB VRAM budget while running the game at 4K, which is not the same as having full native 4K experience which when it comes to games is not just the screen resolution the game running at - everything else should be on par as well and it is deffinitely and objectively not the case with the PS5 version. But given who and how ported the game to PC, there may not be a day when you can play it without any issues whatsoever. I'll take PS5 version with all it's limitations cuz I can just insert the disc and play it without issues with blazing fast loading, the only thing that'll hurt the experience is basically useless Photo Mode, but I can live with that.

Maybe some day I'll try PC version again if I'll have x2-3 times faster card than 4090 with 16-24GBs of VRAM and upgrade my current platform, but until that day and as far as I'm concerned - TLOU PC port doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom