• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JawzPause

Sometimes I feel like an outsider here. Seeing people talk about how much Biochok Infinte sucks is one of those times. Absolutely loved the game.

At least GAF in general appreciates Nier, that certainly makes up for it.

I absolutely loved bioshock infinite! Definitely could have been better, but I nevertheless loved the game. Solid 9/10 for me.

thuway

So how many spoilers are we expecting GT review to have?

The folks I know playing it have explicit NDAs preventing them from talking about certain portions of the game. There are some strong moments in the narrative they aren't allowed to show or talk about whatsoever. Naughty Dog does not want an Uncharted 3 scenario where you put the puzzle together because of all the preview footage. Tomorrow, however, get your hat ready for - "This might top God of War 3's bombastic intro."

The folks who I know that are playing it have explicitly been held to only being able to talk about certain portions of the game. There are some strong moments in the narrative they aren't allowed to hint at. Tomorrow, however, get your hat ready for - "This might top God of War 3's bombastic intro."

Whaaaatttttttt?!?!? hnnnnnngggggggg

Vire

The folks I know playing it have explicit NDAs preventing them from talking about certain portions of the game. There are some strong moments in the narrative they aren't allowed to show or talk about whatsoever. Naughty Dog does not want an Uncharted 3 scenario where you put the puzzle together because of all the preview footage. Tomorrow, however, get your hat ready for - "This might top God of War 3's bombastic intro."

I thought ND already said there would be no Uncharted style set pieces?

Andrew.

Banned
I thought ND said there would be no Uncharted style set pieces?

It isnt what you think. Someone early this morning posted something that was spoiler marked and while Im not 100% on if it really is the beginning, it certainly seems legit and makes sense.

thuway

I never said anything about set pieces. The way the game presents itself in the first 15 minutes is powerful, slick, and polished in a way very few games have. I'm not reviewing it nor am I under NDA- but that's the most you'll get out of me.

It doesn't have to be a set piece to be bombastic. I imagine it starts with a slightly younger Joel sneaking through a city tearing itself apart

If you know the start, don't respond to this post at all

Loudninja

Nofi said the opening was really good.

Sanic

Bioshock was borderline great...but it was almost the definition of a game I'd only want to play once. Gameplay was fairly shallow.

Vire

It isnt what you think. Someone early this morning posted something that was spoiler marked and while Im not 100% on if it really is the beginning, it certainly seems legit and makes sense.

Hmm, alright thanks.

Hopefully this isn't spoiled for me!

Cyberia

Yeah this was also stated by a reviewer before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM9q0mgezY0&feature=player_detailpage#t=103s

I never said anything about set pieces. The way the game presents itself in the first 15 minutes is powerful, slick, and polished in a way very few games have. I'm not reviewing it nor am I under NDA- but that's the most you'll get out of me.
How do you have the game early? Are you a reviewer?

Any other teasers?

iNvid02

yeah it was on giant bomb's i love mondays, jeff was going through some of the stuff they are forbidden to talk about, sort of

im actually gonna watch the review on ign's player and other native players, cant risk seeing those fucking youtube comments

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Yeah i've heard the exact same already from the Project COE guy, nothing new.

Gbraga

bioshock didnt suck.. just got a bit boring w/ all the focus on shooting and extremely linear design

Bioshock was borderline great...but it was almost the definition of a game I'd only want to play once. Gameplay was fairly shallow.

I guess that's why I liked it so much then, aside from the part everyone (or almost) liked, I also loved the combat. The rails, vigors, vigor combos and gears made it so fun! I just hated the decision to make gears random, it was a pain in the ass for my 1999 playthrough to keep restarting checkpoint to get the gear I needed.

The level design wasn't so great for combat (outside of a few arenas with rails and stuff), but there was still a bit of room for experimenting with it, I liked the depth.

Some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w81QmjRamts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRIHwJgoOd4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNdv42-dytg

Oh boy, can't wait!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Oh fuck me

iNvid02

Fz5NHa8.gif

H2Yo

I thought I'd give a little insight to the price of this game in Australia.

EB Games: $98.00
JB HIFI: $89.00
Big W: $78.00

Something to think about next time $60.00 seems like a lot.

Talk about getting the
MV5BNjYwNjY4MTQzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTM4OTQyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Talk about getting the

Hopefully the next-gen consoles will have region free games.

Gbraga

Talk about getting the

I can't believe I'm able to say this as a gamer from Brazil, but I feel sorry for the price you guys pay for games.

Damn better than GOW 3's intro? cos that intro is still one of the best around.

Now that I will actually get to play it I sort of regret reading spoilers before :(

saunderez

I can't believe I'm able to say this as a gamer from Brazil, but I feel sorry for the price you guys pay for games.

It's not as a bad as it looks considering the minimum wage is nearly $17/hr in this country. But yeah, complete BS how much extra we pay over the exchange rate, especially for digital goods.

Waiting to play Remember Me, waiting to play The Last of Us, waiting for E3... did anyone ever die from an overdose of hype?
Could happen to me actually :D I'm already hyped for Beyond and GTA after E3. I still can't believe that we get a Naughty Dog, Quantic Dream and Rockstar game in the same year. Heaven for me.

thuway

It's not as a bad as it looks considering the minimum wage is nearly $17/hr in this country. But yeah, complete BS how much extra we pay over the exchange rate, especially for digital goods.

The great thing is you can buy your games digitally off of PSN and avoid those egregious fees :).

H2Yo

Yeah if you buy from a physical store, you will get shafted. That's why all learned Australian gamers will import/buy online :p

And then we have large corporates like Gerry Harvey complaining about Australians buying goods from overseas... Who wouldn't when prices are so high?

Gbraga

Yeah if you buy from a physical store, you will get shafted. That's why all learned Australian gamers will import/buy online :p

And then we have large corporates like Gerry Harvey complaining about Australians buying goods from overseas... Who wouldn't when prices are so high?

Man, sounds just like Brazil before Sony and Microsoft stepped in and decided they wanted those sales, only with less poverty and more spiders.

And Suda51! Killer is Dead is out in August.

HGNNNNNN

H2Yo

The great thing is you can buy your games digitally off of PSN and avoid those egregious fees :).

This is not necessarily the case, we still see full priced games digitally on XBOX Live and PSN.

As an example, for Americans, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger was $15.
In Australia, the same game was $17.95.

This pricing never fluctuates even if the AUD is stronger than USD at the time.

thuway

This is not necessarily the case, we still see full priced games digitally on XBOX Live and PSN.

As an example, for Americans, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger was $15.
In Australia, the same game was $17.95.

This pricing never fluctuates even if the AUD is stronger than USD at the time.

I honestly just purchase things off the US PSN store. It is probably the greatest thing Sony has allowed. It let's me purchase my games at a price that won't kill me. It also prevents me from carrying an insane amount of money on the dangerous streets of Karachi. I really can't thank Sony enough for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom