• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucent

From the people who tried the demo: how does it compare to the E3 demo? Is that one more scripted?

The demo you get through God of War wasn't very scripted. There was one QTE during your first encounter in the demo. The next encounter you were forced (aided) into hiding but I think it's more of an introduction type thing. The last encounter is up to you the way you handle the enemies.

PJFJosh

My (spoiler free) review is complete and ready to go up on PSNation.com tomorrow (Wednesday) morning at 10am Eastern Time. Can't wait to see what the other reviews have to say.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
My (spoiler free) review is complete and ready to go up on PSNation.com tomorrow (Wednesday) morning at 10am Eastern Time. Can't wait to see what the other reviews have to say.

I'm not reading any of this shit until the 16th or 17th at least... haha

When is the Survival Edition going to be up on Amazon again? I waited too long to preorder it. :(

Same here :(

The worst part is, it was in my cart and I was about to check out, but I said I'll do it after dinner. Came back and it was gone.

Ended up ordering at Gamestop. I've never had any issues with Gamestop not fulfilling my pre-orders, but I'm still worried. Still wish I could have ordered from Amazon.

PJFJosh

I'm not reading any of this shit until the 16th or 17th at least... haha

Understandable, but I hate spoilers so I'm always very careful to not give anything away when I write these. It can actually be really difficult sometimes.

The review I wrote for Journey was one of the most difficult things I've ever written but I'm really proud of it in that I didn't give a single thing away in that game. I was annoyed as hell at some of the reviews I read and the screenshots they used, I hate spoilers.

How would you guys feel about a very small, very quick QTE that lets you escape stealth kills and end up face-to-face with the would-be killer? I'm talking a QTE so difficult, only 1 in 10 players could succeed at it even a third of the time. Like, having to press 2 dualshock buttons in half a second, with the only unused buttons being R2, L2, Start and Select.

Personally, I think it'd be great

edit: Shit, meant to put this in the MP thread

Understandable, but I hate spoilers so I'm always very careful to not give anything away when I write these. It can actually be really difficult sometimes.

The review I wrote for Journey was one of the most difficult things I've ever written but I'm really proud of it in that I didn't give a single thing away in that game. I was annoyed as hell at some of the reviews I read and the screenshots they used, I hate spoilers.
I heard from a pre-review video that Sony had super strict review guidelines about what story events and scenarios could and couldn't be mentioned and that video reviews could only use short clips from specific moments in the game

True? And if so, is the beginning included in that "can't be mentioned" group? Really don't want the opening to be spoiled, if it's as incredibly awesome as I've been hearing

squidyj

I'm looking forward to this thread tomorrow, I'll be honest that I'm immaturely gleeful over the potential for shitstorm on either side of the fence, but I'm also excited to see how well received the game is and to find out more about it.

When we first heard about the last of us I though "maybe I should do one of them blackout things". Since then I've learned I have zero self control for that shit. So I'm looking forward to 'ruining' every possible moment of the game that I can tomorrow.

It would be nice if, in amongst the frenzy tomorrow, people bothered to read the reviews and comment on that as well. Some of the Uncharted 3 low scores were substantiated in the text of the review, some seemed to place a relatively low score in contrast to effusive praise in the text, and yet others seemed to demonstrate at best a limited understanding of or experience with the game they were supposed to be reviewing. As much as my inner troll thrills at the score wars tomorrow I would at least be somewhat gratified if we wound up spending more time talking about reviews than we did review scores.

I'm looking forward to this thread tomorrow, I'll be honest that I'm immaturely gleeful over the potential for shitstorm on either side of the fence, but I'm also excited to see how well received the game is and to find out more about it.

When we first heard about the last of us I though "maybe I should do one of them blackout things". Since then I've learned I have zero self control for that shit. So I'm looking forward to 'ruining' every possible moment of the game that I can tomorrow.

It would be nice if, in amongst the frenzy tomorrow, people bothered to read the reviews and comment on that as well. Some of the Uncharted 3 low scores were substantiated in the text of the review, some seemed to place a relatively low score in contrast to effusive praise in the text, and yet others seemed to demonstrate at best a limited understanding of or experience with the game they were supposed to be reviewing. As much as my inner troll thrills at the score wars tomorrow I would at least be somewhat gratified if we wound up spending more time talking about reviews than we did review scores.

I think that last paragraph will be a problem. The people who most want the game to blow it out of the water are the same people who will not read the content of the reviews for fear of spoilers ie. me :p

Metascore predictions

Sorian - 100
Jawbreaker - 99
cjtiger300 - 98
ProfessorMoran - 98
Jigolo - 98
Loris146 - 97
Fancy Corndog - 97
Alchemy - 97
weekend_warrior - 97
More_Badass - 96
Eyothrie - 96
markhimself46 - 96
Tricky I Shadow - 96
Moonlight - 96
Ricky_R - 95
iNvid02 - 95
Jarmel - 95
reptilescorpio - 95
reKon - 95
Coolbgdog12 - 95
squidyj - 95
VanCityGamer - 94
GribbleGrunger - 94
Sola Scriptura - 94
Ridesh - 94
H2Yo - 94
DukeBobby - 93
jacksepticeye - 93
HoJu - 93
l3lacklvlagic - 93
Badosh - 92
Vire - 92
thuway - 92
Pharmboy044 - 91
Soler - 91
Puppet Shadow - 91
daxter01 - 91
Wynnebeck - 89
Andrew. - 88

Winners will receive hypothetical candy.
Someone actually predicted 100, 99 and 98 score, lol

Add me at 95. I am confident that the score will be close to 95. That is the minimum i expect from it :D

phunky420

Banned
Maybe try the demo?
I personally don't think it plays anything like Uncharted. Heck, it doesn't even have a jump button. It's a lot slower and heavier and guns sound fucking amazing. That's one complaint I had with Uncharted. The guns just did not sound like real guns but in The Last of Us it's completely different.

WOW! An actual response that didn't include an insult! You sir deserve a GOLD star for the day!

Thanks!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Watching regular people play the demo with their natural reactions to it (rather than planned/canned gameplay footage from the devs)... I could tell. This will be a precedent-setter in some ways.

Ezza

I was going to wait and buy this one later in the year when I had more time but screw it. All the positive word of mouth is too good to pass up and I want to play it whenever I want.

+1 Naughty Dog

GrizzNKev

Banned
Watching regular people play the demo with their natural reactions to it (rather than planned/canned gameplay footage from the devs)... I could tell. This will be a precedent-setter in some ways.

I even got my dad to play it. He doesn't play video games at all, but managed to stealth it after an hour of attempts. He was so into it, kept using the words "believable" and "realistic."

nib95

Banned
I even got my dad to play it. He doesn't play video games at all, but managed to stealth it after an hour of attempts. He was so into it, kept using the words "believable" and "realistic."

Every single person I've got to play the demo, or who has watched it being played has been impressed, or at the very least scared lol. Turn those lights out, turn the volume up, and watch their faces as those clickers and runners scatter and shriek like crazy.

antitrop

I'm so glad this embargo is breaking early in the morning (8AM for me), because I have to be in to work at noon.

I would be so pissed.

EDIT: SHIT, We predicting Metascores?

Put me down for a 94 on that bitch.

Damn you DukeBobby, wake back up and add my score!

B.O.O.M

I'm guessing a 90-91 score

Let's be realistic here guys..thanks to outlets scoring on a 5 point scale, there's always a chance the game will have several 80's in the meta.

Here's what I personally do...use reviews just for the content and not the score. Meta is a flawed system.

Sorral

I wasn't going to give a score, but I guess I will go with a 94.

Some will always bring down the scores average anyway.

ZeroRay

Dude, I sent you a friend request on PSN ages ago. Thought you just don't play on PS3 anymore but I see how it is.

</3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom