• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChaos0

Spoiler tags for a game that's over 3 years old?

Should we start spoiler tagging Mario Super Galaxy 2 ending as well?

My backlog still goes all the way to PS2. People shouldn't expect everyone to have played all the games.

People should edit that RDR spoiler. :/

Edge 10/10 are rare.
Those are the titles that got a 10/10 from Edge so far:

Half Life2 (96 on MC)
Halo 3 (94 on MC)
GTA 4 (98 on MC)
Super Mario Galaxy (97 on MC)
The Orange Box(HL2, Team Fortress2, Portal - 96, 92 and 90 on MC)
Bayonetta (90 on MC)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (97 on MC)
TLoZelda: Skyward Sword (93 on MC)

and now: The Last Of Us

Maxxan

Out of interest, since I was happily oblivious to the existence of GAF back then, what was the mood like on the embargo date for Resident Evil 4?

Hypereides

Gold Member
I believe the game will hit a 90~92 on metacritic. Perhaps a few notches lower. If it's higher, then I'll be pleasently surprised.

Pegasos123

i think the metacritic will be 92%

does the last of us demo have greek dub? in the language selecting screen i saw a greek language option ...

K.Sabot

B-But i was told that the people at NeoGAF don't care about the metacritic score!

93/100

I have 0 regard for our current publisher / reviewer structure, and metacritic only exacerbates the problem...

but it's fun and easy to throw out a number.

Pranay

game has competitive co op, heard from a friend with a review copy

take it with a huge grain of salt, ill confirm once more

Rehynn

Apparently the ending is gut wrenching.

Wouldn't be surprised if that's what pushed most reviewers over the edge when it came to this praise.

Hell, I know that's what did it for me with RDR. Everything before Marstons Death was 7/10 worthy. When John did that final epic standoff, and we took control of his son and got redemption the game easily became a 9/10 for me.

So I'm guessing the ending is what made the most impact in the last of us.

That is indeed what I suspect. However, I don't think that a good ending to a video game, especially one that stands out from mainly due to a non-interactive aspect (the story), can alone turn something into the best thing ever. I'm not saying that this is the case with TLoU, as I have not seen the ending, but the early reviews and the love letter lead me to believe that the "gut wrenching" effect comes from the story, and not the gameplay.

I understand that it can have a strong emotional impact on the player, one that I can absolutely see influencing his/her impression of the game in the heat of the moment, but, for example, if a mediocre 12-hour game should somehow have an amazing 1-hour finale, the game as a whole still wouldn't be good.
That to me is tricking the player into seeing the whole experience in a different light - but this is interactive entertainment, and great presentation and cutscenes don't make the actual gameplay any more fun (I'm looking at you, Lollipop Chainsaw, Spec Ops, etc.). So no, RDR's ending wouldn't bump it up 2 points in my book, but hey, we are different:)

I'd argue the "Citizen Kane of gaming" happened years and years ago, and people are simply searching for some "cinematic masterpiece" from Irrational, or Naughty Dog, or Quantic Dream, or Valve to hang that title on instead of a 20 year old retro game, or the original Tomb Raider, or Super Mario 64, or Ocarina of Time, or etc.

How about games just try to be the "Resident Evil 4 of their generation." It's an equally impossible task, but at least it doesn't grovel at the feet of another medium trying so desperately to be accepted in the same way.

I agree with this so much. It's actually somewhat self-deprecating for the medium when its dedicated press doesn't see its landmark achievements as appropriate enough models to follow and surpass.

EDIT: Nothing in this comment reveals anything about my hands-on experience with the game. But if my original comment is something that should not be posted before the embrago ends, please let me know and I'll edit it and ask the guy who quoted it to do the same.

Cyberia

PSU is breaking embargo:

Nevertheless, The Last Of Us offers a package that is hard not to turn down and one that every PlayStation fan of the genre should experience. The game world is huge and consistently impresses with its design and graphical prowess, whereas the narrative and the evolution of the characters blows away the cobwebs of some of the repetitive bouts of puzzle-solving and slow bouts of exploration.

The Last Of Us is a game that offers an engaging and emotional journey that shifts in tone and pace, from quiet and poignant moments of reflection between characters and their situation to action-packed sequences that can leave you emotionally drained or grinning from ear-to-ear. Quite simply, Joel and Ellie are the best pairing to have graced this console generation and The Last Of Us is a fitting tribute to PlayStation 3 in the year when we usher in the next-generation of consoles.

http://www.psu.com/a019641/The-Last...and-emotional-Naughty-Dogs-finest-hour?page=1

This is from the summary:-

xqefEH.jpg

DatDude

Banned
Metacritic will be 89% when all is said and done

Well right now...

10/10-Edge
5/5-Empire
10/10-OPM UK
9.5-PSU
92-Play3
88%-GamePro Germany

it's currently sitting at 95.83% average wise.

Considering Play3, and GamePro Germany aren't part of Metacritic's publications than it'll be even higher than.

I'm pretty sure they're not going to completely rip off the ending of (edit: spoilers for another game, in case you're that dumb)
The Walking Dead
Can't you see how people will have no idea what your spoiler is referring to? I know it's tricky but there's still absolutely zero warning of what game you're spoiling. Luckily I don't plan on playing it.

thuway

Well right now...

10/10-Edge
5/5-Empire
10/10-OPM UK
9.5-PSU
92-Play3
88%-GamePro Germany

it's currently sitting at 95.83% average wise.

Considering Play3, and GamePro Germany aren't part of Metacritic's publications than it'll be even higher than.

I expect an 8 from Polygon, 9 from Jim, and a 7.5 from Gamespot. I'm still hyped as fuck though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom