• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rehynn

The Citizen Kane comparison was just there to highlight that people will be talking about this for ages. Not that the story is comparable.

I think that's the case indeed.

If that's the case, I'd say we've already had dozens of Citizen Kanes in gaming.

Zelda Skyward Sword

49652-Star-Trek-Kirk-and-bones-nod-g-V8pX.gif

Gorillaz

The beginning of the game looks to be pretty easy to detect based on trailers. Its that same scene they keep showing at the start of each trailer.

I don't think I've ever been this eager to see an embargo end. All aboard! Man, if Naughty Dog strikes their lightning twice in a single gen...

Any guesses what that tweet from Naughty Dog is about? I'm thinking maybe The Last of Us side story vita game.

What are the chances of some sort of PvE coop mode being revealed tommorow?

DatDude

Banned
EDIT 2: Ah, fuck it, I've been quoted:p

My original comment:
Having seen much of the game, unless something completely transcendental happens in the last quarter the "Citizen Kane" comparisons and the French love letter are absolutely ridiculous.

The game is very good though, no doubt about that.

Apparently the ending is gut wrenching.

Wouldn't be surprised if that's what pushed most reviewers over the edge when it came to this praise.

RDR spoilers for people who still haven't played a 3 year old game.
Hell, I know that's what did it for me with RDR. Everything before Marstons Death was 7/10 worthy. When John did that final epic standoff, and we took control of his son and got redemption the game easily became a 9/10 for me.

So I'm guessing the ending is what made the most impact in the last of us.

If that's the case, I'd say we've already had dozens of Citizen Kanes in gaming.

I'd argue the "Citizen Kane of gaming" happened years and years ago, and people are simply searching for some "cinematic masterpiece" from Irrational, or Naughty Dog, or Quantic Dream, or Valve to hang that title on instead of a 20 year old retro game, or the original Tomb Raider, or Super Mario 64, or Ocarina of Time, or etc.

How about games just try to be the "Resident Evil 4 of their generation." It's an equally impossible task, but at least it doesn't grovel at the feet of another medium trying so desperately to be accepted in the same way.

Apparently the ending is gut wrenching.

Wouldn't be surprised if that's what pushed most reviewers over the edge when it came to this praise.

Hell, I know that's what did it for me with RDR. Everything before Marstons Death was 7/10 worthy. When John did that final epic standoff, and we took control of his son and got redemption the game easily became a 9/10 for me.

So I'm guessing the ending is what made the most impact in the last of us.

If the ending is the predictable 'Joel dies after becoming infected, Ellie kills him after becoming a trained survivor' I will not be impressed.

If the ending is the predictable 'Joel dies after becoming infected, Ellie kills him after becoming a trained survivor' I will not be impressed.

I'm pretty sure they're not going to completely rip off the ending of (edit: spoilers for another game, in case you're that dumb)
The Walking Dead

92-94

Game will have to score many 10s to hit 95+ (U2 had 40+ perfect reviews for example) and I don't think that this will be the case with this game.

Fabrik

Banned
Can't wait to see the reviews. From the look of it, it's more a "real game" than Uncharted 2.
The combat seem dynamic and I haven't seen a scripted action sequence so far.

Pachimari

for me personally... YES..

My wife is NOT interested in my gaming habbit at all. I almost always play games from the comfort of my bed, so I did the same with this game. My wife is most of the time just laying next to me with a weekly magazine and reading.
She NEVER looks at the screen (37" Flatscreen TV), she actually thinks I´m childish for playing games at my age (38 lol), and games do not interest her at all.
I heard that the sound in The Last of us is something special, so I wanted to use my 7.1 Sony headphones, but they were low on power and needed a charge, so I just turned up the volume on my TV instead.
The funniest thing happened. My wife waved her magazine to the side, so that she could watch what I was doing (the sound is THAT good). And she ended up putting down her magazine and watching me play the begining of the game. And she actually told me "That is really good, wauw"..

so for me, the beginning of this game is something special.
I thought we were not allowed to share our impressions? Cause I also wanna put a word on my feelings.

Do black bars not denote spoilers any more? I'll just stop talking.

On second thought, its one of those ones that can't be avoided without either being vague to the point where someone can stumble upon it, or not saying anything at all. Damn the internet! :p

Shit, someone already spoiled. Sorry :(

Lets delete these comments

Nintendo?
Mario 64 and OoT?
Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2?

Were Mario64 and OoT developed by the same guys?

Also should have mentioned that you can't include the same franchise, otherwise I'd have said Rockstar won the category with 3 of the GOATs on the PS2 :D

Pachimari

impression..? could delete it if it is breaking some kind of embargo.. it was just what happened.. didn´t describe anything from the game...
Don't worry too much about it Hanmik.
The embargo just says that we can't share our impressions - yet I'm not sure if it means descriptions of the game or also what our general impression is (ex: wow, sucks etc).

DatDude

Banned
Can a man not lurk a TLoU thread without getting the ending to RDR spoiled? Great...

DatDude: Can you please use spoiler tags for your RDR spoiler, so no one else gets spoiled?

Spoiler tags for a game that's over 3 years old?

Should we start spoiler tagging Mario Super Galaxy 2 ending as well?

Yagharek

Pretty much, if accurate :p

Has a developer ever had arguably the 2 best games of a generation before? Retro Studios perhaps?

EAD Tokyo with Mario Galaxies

Anyway, as all lttp threads attest, often the most honest appraisal comes a few weeks after launch hype. Thats when you find out which games are the gta4 controversies, and which games are the truly great ones. TLOU may well be one of those games, it would be great if it is, but caution or self moderation of expectations is always worthwhile.

Pachimari

Wait did I just get the ending spoiled of a game that I were going to buy this month in a thread about a totally different game?

That is NOT cool. Seriously.

DatDude

Banned
Wait did I just get the ending spoiled of a game that I were going to buy this month in a thread about a totally different game?

That is NOT cool. Seriously.

You were going to buy..redacted.

edit: I was honestly wondering what he meant, because i thought these were last of us ending spoilers. I was just making sure, and not trolling/being a wise ass. Honest.

Yagharek

It's a matter of common courtesy to be careful about discussing story with regards to upcoming games.

If in doubt, black it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom