• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (Wii, Mistwalker x Nintendo) Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teppic

Shadowlink said:
Are you guys expecting this game to release this year? It seems like we're getting little info every month, but this is a Nintendo game.....
I expect it to be released in Europe sometimes in the next five years.

cosmicblizzard said:
The Gooch said that development was wrapping up a few times. For all we know, it could be finished now.
Woah! That's pretty nice. I know he was working on this every since FF VII but I didn't know he'd finish developing it on Wii this fast. Hopefully a NA/EU 2010 announcement at E3 this year. :D

Akai

cosmicblizzard said:
At this point, I hope Last Story is like nothing before it. Not like Vagrant Story/FF12/Tales/BD/LO/etc. If it was going to be like something, I would want a traditional JRPG, but since I know that's not happening, I want something dynamic.

Sakaguchi has already mentioned that he hopes to create a whole new genre out of the game, so here's hoping!

Alex said:
Tri's segmentation is by design, and it has crazy more going on per zone than anything open world does on the system by a landslide. Twilight Princess's big field of ugly nothingness wrapped in the lowest res texutres money can buy isn't a great stylistic choice, IMO.

Again, you're comparing a Wii game to a GC game...

wsippel

Banned
The screenshots remind me of Darkside Chronicles for some reason. So even if Artoon is developing, I guess they might have access to Cavias Wii engine, as they're both subsidiaries of AQI. Cavia made a big deal about it, touting it as one of the most powerful Wii engines and something they've put a lot of work in, and it actually is quite impressive. Would be a waste to use it only for one or two games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Regardless of how good the visuals are, please let the framerate be smooth.

ILikeFeet

Banned
wsippel said:
The screenshots remind me of Darkside Chronicles for some reason. So even if Artoon is developing, I guess they might have access to Cavias Wii engine, as they're both subsidiaries of AQI. Cavia made a big deal about it, touting it as one of the most powerful Wii engines and something they've put a lot of work in, and it actually is quite impressive. Would be a waste to use it only for one or two games.

as EatChildren said, Darkside Chronicles ring a bell?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
schuelma said:
My expertise consists of a trip to Toyko last Spring, but if I had to guess, I would say Xenoblade will maybe get around 100K or so (I think that is somewhat similar to Soma Bringer?), and Last Story could be much bigger than that, just because of how big a deal Iwata seemed to make of it at the last IR- I think its going to get a big push.

Well I guess the only real comparisons are the Tales games, and Graces underperformed didn't it? I know Ratatasok hit like 220K, but that was a sequel of a popular title. Both being new IPs would seemingly hurt, but both have big names attached...

Nintendo sucks at marketing these games though, so I wouldnt even count them publishing it as a big +

wsippel

Banned
ILikeFeet said:
as EatChildren said, Darkside Chronicles ring a bell?
Excuse me? Do you mean his remark about framerates? I don't remember any noticeable hickups in DSC (but I usually don't really care, either), but even if there were a few, it's not necessarily a problem with the engine.

John Harker said:
Nintendo sucks at marketing these games though, so I wouldnt even count them publishing it as a big +
NoE seems to do a good job with MH3. And I believe they successfully helped out promoting this and a few other 3rd party "core" games in Japan as well. I think it's not so much that they suck at promoting these games, they usually just don't seem to really give a fuck.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
wsippel said:
Excuse me? Do you mean his remark about framerates? I don't remember any noticeable hickups in DSC (but I usually don't really care, either), but even if there were a few, it's not necessarily a problem with the engine.

DSC had numerous severe framerate drops, and never felt like it was running at a stable rate. Of this I am positive.

Engine rocked, but yeah, bad asset optimisation lead what we got.

thefro

wsippel said:

That's a good call... the sky especially reminds me off that game. Looks a little too realistic for the art style.

wsippel

Banned
thefro said:
That's a good call... the sky especially reminds me off that game. Looks a little too realistic for the art style.
Lighting, especially the bloom, and material effects also seem quite similar. Hard to tell from the scans, but that's the vibe I get.

Kishgal

Banned
Mr.Wuggles said:
am i wrong in assuming

Blue Dragon = Chrono Trigger
Lost Odyssey = FFX
Blue Dragon Plus = FF12 Revenant Wings
ASH = FFT
The Last Story = Vagrant Story

? (i acknowledge i may be way off; never played a MW game before, but i do get that "me too" vibe from most of Gooch's games)

that said - i love the look of this game. this is easily the best looking wii rpg i've ever seen and although that's not saying much, i love the art direction and how smooth it looks.
As far as BD/LO go, it's more like Blue Dragon = earlier Final Fantasy (FF5), Lost Odyssey = later Final Fantasy (FF7/8). BD+ is definitely a lot like Revenant Wings, but ASH is actually fairly unique.

EatChildren

In a shocking twist, The Last Story turns out to be using the modified Wind Waker engine found in Twilight Princess.

Maybe...

GCX

EatChildren said:
In a shocking twist, The Last Story turns out to be using the modified Wind Waker engine found in Twilight Princess.

Maybe...
Iirc Twilight Princess only used a modified version of Wind Waker's gameplay engine.

eggandI

Banned
Game looks good. I'm hoping the gameplay delivers. I've played far too many easy/shallow JRPGs to give this one a try just because it looks good.

pakkit

Banned
Screens look good, and the news of real-time combat is more my pace.

Hopefully this can be Mistwalker's first game that really nails it. Nintendo generally brings the best out of collaborations.

Rpgmonkey

Looks pretty nice. Expected deeper and more contrasting colors, but whatever.

I like how lively the town looks, it's something I thought BD and LO also did pretty well, so it's nice that they're keeping that going.

duckroll

pakkit said:
Nintendo generally brings the best out of collaborations.

So what happened here:

ASH_-_Archaic_Sealed_Heat_Coverart.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Regulus Tera said:
But you see, their games actually sell.

Sure, that's usually because they work with other companies' proven IPs (MOTHER, Layton), but still.
I'm surprised that Nintendo hasn't sold Brownie Brown to Level 5 considering they seem to be the only company that hires them lately.

EatChildren

Its probably already been noted, and it probably doesnt mean anything, but on the official logo you can see a demon hand coming out of the girl's hair underneath the sword's grip.

EatChildren

ILikeFeet said:
yea, it's been mentioned several months ago :lol

Fuck this JPRG shit aint my scene.

Teppic said:
I expect it to be released in Europe sometimes in the next five years.

It's almost certainly coming here, as Mistwalker PR made the effort to reach out to me and I'm based in Europe. They've been correcting my rough translations of location names and stuff to the actual current in-house English names.

Last Story is probably a game NCL is mandating go out to other regions. Seems like too much money is being poured in to it for it to only be released in Japan.

dsister44

ILikeFeet said:
and Nintendo trademarked The Last Story in both Europe and N. America. the only thing Europeans have to worry about is Xenoblade

well we got diaster: DOC. I would say that we should be getting the next monolith soft game as well if Nintendo's localisation record included anysense

Instro

EatChildren said:
Its probably already been noted, and it probably doesnt mean anything, but on the official logo you can see a demon hand coming out of the girl's hair underneath the sword's grip.

Thats new to me actually :lol

Shuusui

EatChildren said:
Fuck this JPRG shit aint my scene.
Don't feel bad, I only saw it because I found a larger resolution image of the logo floating around the inter webs. Which reminds me! This really is a beautiful logo:

bgbhgl.jpg

After showing this to my wife, plus the artwork on the first page, she has officially become hyped for this game. I married a good 'un.

EatChildren

Bumping with no new information (sorry!) but wondering if we'll get direct feed scans this week? I'm really eager to see how the game looks properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom