• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (Wii, Mistwalker x Nintendo) Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
pakkit said:
Everyone has the same style hair.

Yeah yeah..... It's like if they wanted to follow the western-games trend of making bald protagonists... right?-_-!

Anyway.. I loved the art in Drakengard 1 & 2. So yeah, I'm in love with the art in this game too.:D

The game looks REALLY GOOD in those scans, I just hope that the combat system will be fun.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow, Last Story looks spectacular, it's almost as if Nintendo gave Mistwalker some Pikmin dust to sprinkle all over it.

Cep

Banned
Darthdevidem01 said:
Dude stop being negative!

No, he has a good point there.

Personally, I sort of see where the artist was heading with her, and the stoking/thigh-high boot hybrid. Just wish the shoes looked a tad bit more practical, but I am assuming there is a story behind her not being in proper battle gear.

Rpgmonkey said:
Looks pretty cool.

Like pretty much all RPGs however, I'm more interested in how it plays.

Hear, hear.

I am actually becoming as worried about the battle system as Cosmic.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Cep said:
No, he has a good point there.

Personally, I sort of see where the artist was heading with her, and the stoking/thigh-high boot hybrid. Just wish the shoes looked a tad bit more practical, but I am assuming there is a story behind her not being in proper battle gear.

judging by one of the cutscene shots in the scan, it seems Kanan is at some kind of ball, where her current attire would be appropriate. personally, I prefer here original outfit (the one with the tiger)

Cep said:
Hear, hear.

I am actually becoming as worried about the battle system as Cosmic.
I've been worried about the battle the whole time, though from what we know it seems at the very least interesting. It probably won't turn out to be my ideal battle system but I'm looking forward to what it is regardless.

Screenboy

I dont know if its because ive been watching the xenoblade trailers but the environments in the screens look like theyve taken a hit to make the characters more detailed or something.

Poyunch

Why did they have to pick blue for her nice looking dress? It stands out so much. The plain white looked much nicer in the art.

Cep

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Why did they have to pick blue for her nice looking dress? It stands out so much. The plain white looked much nicer in the art.

Yeah, that made me sad too.

Although, it seems like she was wearing two different dresses in the scans, so perhaps we can change their clothing?

Shame that they could not to a better job realizing the art.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cosmicblizzard said:
Looks excellent but I'm still wary about the battle system. I can't get my hopes up just yet that this will be a spiritual successor to FF.
Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were his "spiritual successor" to FF, this is going to be something different. Whether that's a good thing, well I can't say I wasn't skeptical about that for a while now, especially if the developer is Artoon.

It looks kind of interesting though, looks like these countdowns will be a key part of the battle system, Elza was distracting the enemies while Jackal was casting a spell on the bottom of the second page there. It just makes me wish this was turn-based or time-based though (something like Grandia), since I would rather have Elza distract the enemy and still cast those spells my-self instead of letting the AI do most, if not all, of them.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
The white dress is so much better than the blue one. Hopefully you can keep that on her...

I still prefer the blue dress. the white is nice, but the brown shorts thingies are really distracting

jj984jj said:
Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were his "spiritual successor" to FF, this is going to be something different. Whether that's a good thing, well I can't say I wasn't skeptical about that for a while now, especially if the developer is Artoon.

It looks kind of interesting though, looks like these countdowns will be a key part of the battle system, Elza was distracting the enemies while Jackal was casting a spell on the bottom of the second page there. It just makes me wish this was turn-based or time-based though (something like Grandia), since I would rather have Elza distract the enemy and still cast those spells my-self instead of letting the AI do most, if not all, of them.

With a name like Last Story, I don't think he's given up on making a spiritual successor. This will probably be his last chance and I'm not ruling out the possibility of it capturing the magic of FF.

If it's something different, that's fine too. Like you, I would prefer it to be turn/time-based but I won't write it off until I know more about it. I'm just really worried that the A.I. and free movement is going to cause it to resemble FF12 but with some other form of A.I. control taking the place of gambits, a game I despise.

jj984jj

cosmicblizzard said:
With a name like Last Story, I don't think he's given up on making a spiritual successor.
I think he just likes these types of titles, Story is more related to Odyssey than Fantasy.

Clevinger

Does the girl's proportions in the art seem really screwed up to anyone else? Like, her stomach seems twice or three times as long as it should be. Or she's just freakishly tall.

cosmicblizzard said:
With a name like Last Story, I don't think he's given up on making a spiritual successor. This will probably be his last chance and I'm not ruling out the possibility of it capturing the magic of FF.

If it's something different, that's fine too. Like you, I would prefer it to be turn/time-based but I won't write it off until I know more about it. I'm just really worried that the A.I. and free movement is going to cause it to resemble FF12 but with some other form of A.I. control taking the place of gambits, a game I despise.

This game could capture the magic!

But I don't think it will sell as well as FF, but for me yes it could make me love it like a FF, since I love every main FF game ever made!
____

That balcony scan reminds me of FF8!!

dramatis

cosmicblizzard said:

A name does not indicate a desire for "spiritual successor". That is a result of fans imposing their own desires onto his works.

selig

Banned
I´ve got to admit, I hate it when a female character looks TOO hot, as it is the case with Kanan here. Cant concentrate on the game, then, and feel jealous of the main character :/

But besides all that, I really am excited about how well and lively the real in-game town translates from all the info we got so far. Hope there´s a lot of interaction going on.

dramatis said:
A name does not indicate a desire for "spiritual successor". That is a result of fans imposing their own desires onto his works.

It isn't just the name. The logo is also reminiscent of FF. Hey, I may be completely off and it could be unintentional but that's how I've interpreted it.

MrDaravon

Wow, looks surprisingly good.

selig said:
I´ve got to admit, I hate it when a female character looks TOO hot, as it is the case with Kanan here. Cant concentrate on the game, then, and feel jealous of the main character :/

What.

cosmicblizzard said:
It isn't just the name. The logo is also reminiscent of FF. Hey, I may be completely off and it could be unintentional but that's how I've interpreted it.

Not to mention the roman numerals on the clock in the logo after X are blocked out. There's no way that isn't intentional.:lol

ILikeFeet

Banned
selig said:

lol dawg, lol

gkryhewy said:
Almost certainly coming to the US, as there was a nice little preview in a recent Nintendo Power.

no pics I presume?

Cep

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:

Yeah, it definitely seems that there are intentional references/digs, but probably not indicative of a 'spiritual successor.'

At least not from the info we know so far, this may change as we learn more.

jj984jj

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Not to mention the roman numerals on the clock in the logo after X are blocked out. There's no way that isn't intentional.:lol
So was Xenoblade, but since MonolithSoft did make Xenosaga it still looks and sounds a lot like those games than this does Final Fantasy I-X.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
selig said:

:lol

Never change Selig.

Cep said:
Yeah, it definitely seems that there are intentional references/digs, but probably not indicative of a 'spiritual successor.'

At least not from the info we know so far, this may change as we learn more.

If it is a spiritual successor then let's hope it'll end up as Final Fantasy's Bayonetta.

jj984jj

Fimbulvetr said:
If it is a spiritual successor then let's hope it'll end up as Final Fantasy's Bayonetta.
They already confirmed it isn't when they said it's an action RPG, these new gamplay details only add to that.

ReyVGM

Clevinger said:
Does the girl's proportions in the art seem really screwed up to anyone else? Like, her stomach seems twice or three times as long as it should be. Or she's just freakishly tall.

Holy shit you are right. And it's on purpose because her arms and hip are freakishly long too.

Akai

Don't make the same mistake I did; take the artwork down... =)

Oh, and her proportions are fine. Again I think people are misinterpreting the "brown shorts" when they are just really high boots. And it's just because she is so slender that people are thinking her arms are long, considering it goes about halfway down her thigh (try seeing where your arms reach and you'll see what I mean...)

Akai said:
Don't make the same mistake I did; take the artwork down... =)

Oh, and her proportions are fine. Again I think people are misinterpreting the "brown shorts" when they are just really high boots. And it's just because she is so slender that people are thinking her arms are long, considering it goes about halfway down her thigh (try seeing where your arms reach and you'll see what I mean...)

Yeah, it's the top of the boot folded back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom