• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last Tragically Hip concert is tonight. A very bittersweet Canadian moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oppo

Not sure if folks outside Canada know what's going on... here's a summary:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...n-a-tragically-hip-tourdiary/article31466982/

The jist is that the lead singer, Gord Downie, has terminal brain cancer, and the band has been playing a farewell tour over the last few months. The very last concert is tonight, in their home town of Kingston, and will be broadcast on the CBC and dozens of public venues. People have been opening their houses and homes around my hood for concert viewings. Everyone is gonna be crying by the end of the night.

I grew up with the Hip and this is hitting a lot harder than I expected it to.

Trying to get tickets to the Danforth Music Hall showing right now.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Never been a big Hip fan, I like a few of their songs. They're a fairly iconic band in Canada, so to see them have to call it a day because of cancer is awful. :(

Going to tune in to the stream with some friends.

I live in Kingston, but I won't be attending the concert. I am going to a friends house to watch UFC 202. My parents and sisters are going so at least I'll be able to hear from them what it was like.

I only properly started listening to them in the past couple years but fell hard for their music. Unfortunately, I just couldn't afford tickets for their Toronto shows... Will definitely cry while watching live on TV

UberTag

I still have fond memories from attending their "ring in the millennium" concert to welcome in the year 2000.

Gord and company are a national institution. They'll be missed dearly.

I somehow forgot what day it was today, but a friend invited me over to watch the concert. I had been meaning to set my PVR, and did that at the same time.

I'd been planning to watch it since hearing about it. I'm a pretty big Hip fan, and love their stuff. It's going to be hard to watch, though, especially since my Mom dealt with the same thing before her passing.

I've seen The Hip two or three times. Once at Live-8, I believe, and then once at the ACC. Maybe one other time. They're really good live.

badblue

Youtube live stream link

I've got it up on my TV in the living room, with some cheap beers.

Saw the concert here in Edmonton a few weeks ago, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I live in Kingston, but I won't be attending the concert. I am going to a friends house to watch UFC 202. My parents and sisters are going so at least I'll be able to hear from them what it was like.

I'm sure you'll be able to find it online tomorrow. It's being streamed after all. Someone is bound to record it.

Draysoth

I, I tried to keep strong but... Damn this spicy air!
Sorry I meant the feed :(. I keep getting random cuts - just had a couple during Possessed by the Human Mind. I'm barely keeping myself together tho and I got lucky and saw them in Hamilton this past Tuesday.

Saw a bunch of people lining up downtown to try and get into one of the outdoor showing venues in Halifax, didn`t realize what was going on at first. Now watching online at home, but think it`s super cool that they`re doing a live broadcast for everyone country wide as well as a ton of venues in cities across the country to watch it live.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry I meant the feed :(. I keep getting random cuts - just had a couple during Possessed by the Human Mind. I'm barely keeping myself together tho and I got lucky and saw them in Hamilton this past Tuesday.

CBC feed has been fine for me.

Yeah, I realized the full extent of the post and edited. But my feed was fine.

ElNino

I saw them a few times in the 90s and then again in 2003 at Edgefest. I'm watching it now with my son, but it's too bad he doesn't appreciate how good the Hip have been for as long as they have been together.

Will be some tears tonight for sure. 😞

Draysoth

This is very similar to the Hamilton show - same set and break video. Similar songs - ie a few from the same albums then a few from the newest release. Interesting!

This is very similar to the Hamilton show - same set and break video. Similar songs - ie a few from the same albums then a few from the newest release. Interesting!

It is the last show of the tour.

They mix up their setlist almost every show but the format is going to be the same

I love how every song I think "This is probably my favorite Hip song", but I end up saying the exact same thing for every song.

Saw a bunch of people lining up downtown to try and get into one of the outdoor showing venues in Halifax, didn`t realize what was going on at first. Now watching online at home, but think it`s super cool that they`re doing a live broadcast for everyone country wide as well as a ton of venues in cities across the country to watch it live.

Haligaf checkin in. Watching it from home, really cool of CBC to host that venue.

dem

The wife and I tuned in during music at work and said "they sound terrible" at the same time.

Y'all crazy

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Everyone I know (Canadian) is watching this... kind of surreal, and sad, and awesome all at the same time.

Thankfully I can watch it here in Seattle online!

I wish I weren't overseas for this. Lucky I got to see them live at Maple Leaf Gardens, back when that was a thing. That show was peak Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom