• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last Tragically Hip concert is tonight. A very bittersweet Canadian moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

badblue

The wife and I tuned in during music at work and said "they sound terrible" at the same time.

Y'all crazy

I'm sorry if a man with terminal cancer, performing his last, very emotional performance is not delivering his a game.

Kraftwerk

246.gif

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Good show, but I've never heard a drummer struggle so much to stay on time, and play his own beats.

Dipper145

Would have loved to see these guys in their prime, but I would have been too young.

Lots of their songs got me through some rough times. Loving the live stream.

ElNino

Just saw this tweet:
lqU5UTs.jpg

This is Canadian as fuck.
So good... and only a few blocks from where I am. Oh well, I'm enjoying watching it with my family and realizing that I wasn't much older than my son when I saw the Hip the first time.

As someone woefully uneducated in music, and a Canadian, I really should make Tragically Hip next on my "music I need to listen to" list.

Any recommendations for a first Tragically Hip album?
Preferably anything with a strong concept/story if possible.

As someone woefully uneducated in music, and a Canadian, I really should make Tragically Hip next on my "music I need to listen to" list.

I'd start with their Greatest Hits album, Yer Favourites. Personally, I've never loved a whole album of theirs, but their singles are transcendent. Most of their songs are dense stories unto themselves, so you'll have plenty to sink your teeth into with just that.

"we're going to go in the back and act like we left, and you're going to cheer and then we're going to come back and play..." Oh man, the feels.

ElNino

Other than a live or greatest hits album, I'd suggest Day For Night, Fully Completely or Road Apples.

But really, they have so many good albums that you can't really single them out.

I'd start with their Greatest Hits album, Yer Favourites. Personally, I've never loved a whole album of theirs, but their singles are transcendent. Most of their songs are dense stories unto themselves, so you'll have plenty to sink your teeth into with just that.

Or hey, another option along those lines: Live Between Us, their only (!) live album, recorded during the Trouble at the Henhouse tour. Misses out on Phantom Power songs but gets most everything else from their heyday. (The time I spent with the Hip was brief, basically the late 90s, so I don't know anything beyond Music @ Work.) In many ways, the songs live and breathe better performed in concert than they do on record, even without the killer whale tank.

Fully Completely seems to be the canonical entry point for early Hip; Phantom Power's a great place to start for their late-90s output. Others can advise on their turn-of-the-century output, and the reviews for the latest album seem pretty good.

Back to the concert: NEW ORLEANS IS SINKING, MAN, AND

badblue

Going to second this.

Yay, New Orleans is sinking!! I wish it was the killer whale tank version.

Is it just me, or Gordie screwed up the lyrics of Blow high dough, at the very beginning of the song and his band mates looked at each other in a weird way...?

"They shot a movie once.....some kind of Elvis thang!"

castlegar

Is it just me, or Gordie screwed up the lyrics of Blow high dough, at the very beginning of the song and his band mates looked at each other in a weird way...?

"They shot a movie once.....some kind of Elvis thang!"

I went to two shows on the tour, and at points he had trouble with lyrics. He reads off a prompter each song and seemed to sometimes miss the odd lyric or mess up the order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom