• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki announced

iqTmM7E.png
200w.webp

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Best place to start? I think I have the Trails in the Sky game on Steam...

I played the opening few hours of the PS Vita one... Cold Steel, I think, but was kinda lost.

theclaw135

Banned
Well, we don't know for sure. ATB is what another commenter had brought up, but Kondo never mentioned the word ATB. He just said there will be action elements added to battles. We don't know what that looks like or how it will be implemented.

We haven't had games like Bowser's Inside Story for a while.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Shouta

So - the PC Engine game from 1991? Kinda looks neat.

Probably closer to 2024!

Those old Legend of Heroes games are pretty good depending on the version you play. That's the problem though, I think the meh versions of them are the ones that are readily available.

JayK47

Wish I could say this is good news for me. I am struggling to finish Trails of Cold Steel 4. I am right at the end and just keep finding better stuff to play. I loved Cold Steel 1 and 2 and thought 3 was a bit of a drag. Just want to wrap it up and never look back. I have no interest in future Trails games and I thought Cold Steel was supposed to be the end of it. Guess not.

theclaw135

Banned
The shift in art and writing direction doesn't click for me. They needed a smoother transition from the strangeness of Trails in the Sky the 3rd, back to normality.

Shouta

They hinted on there won't be any sequel if this is not selling well, seems like hajimari is not doing as well as they hoped and they are giving players a warning that this could be the last.

Apparently, this was misreporting by the JP site that posted up the info. Kondou was saying that to the staff and that it seems like it was more of a way of getting to light a fire under their butts about doing their best.

I'd need to see a better scan to confirm though.

Paltheos

Always start at the beginning i say, it's only gets better from there.

This is a really popular position but I can't say I agree. As someone who tried and failed (and know two other people who tried and failed) to start from Trails in the Sky 1, I recommend starting from Trails in Cold Steel now. Ideally, CS1 & 2 -> All 3 Sky games -> Both Crossbell games -> CS3, etc. This is what I'm doing now and I'm just waiting for Geofront to release an enhanced edition of Azure so I can finally play CS3.

Sky 1 is a slog to get started on. Combat starts kneecapped with very little to do and the AOEs you get are narrow to the point of 'might as well be single target'. Sophisticated Fight is... boring to listen to (although that might just be me), and the usual fare of introductions in Trails games is at its worst here: You explore a giant, mysterious tower near your town for a news duo, including an at-the-end-of-his-wits journalist and his enthuastic but witless photographer. You meet an unassuming archaeologist inside who has a character portrait for some reason. You bite off a bit more than you can chew on your starting quests and get saved by your superdad. There's payoffs to all this stuff and it's all developed well but none of it is enticing on its own at the start (despite really liking the actual individual lines of near-everything). The game doesn't give me a reason to keep playing through its basic-ass combat and basic (literal) trails. And the chapter conclusions are really bad. The thieves you're pursuing escape via a smoke bomb in the Prologue, although some leeway can be given because they use an airship to do so. Not as much leeway at the end of chapter 1 where they do it again, only this time in the confines of an underground shelter, the only escape from which involved running around your team to the door. The whole affair makes Scherazard look awful at her job. Also, while I love Estelle and Joshua to death, I cannot understand the love the community holds for Olivier. At his best he's an innocuous player in the Zemurian political game, but often he's as obnoxious as the characters in-game say he is. Like, sometimes he's a little cute but usually it's too much.

Once the metaphorical and near-literal training wheels come off by chapter 2, the game picks up pace and once the plot kicks into full gear by chapter 3 and the finale and all the shit really hits the fan, the game's quite good. The conclusion to Sky 1 is the best out of all these games. Especially if you have the voice packs patched in, you can hear all the emotions swirling around in Estelle's voice at the end. It's fantastic. I just don't think it's a good place to start. CS1 and CS2 are much easier to play and I wasn't incentivized to push through the slog of early Sky until I felt I had to in order to keep playing the series.

Maybe I'll make a full topic on this after I've played Trails to Azure. Those Crossbell games and the Cold Steel games are in an awkward place where they spoil each other. (I don't know of anything else like it)
As (effectively) a Cold Steel initiate, I was blown away by some of the twists at the end of that first game. They were on a completely different level from everything else the game had been building on up to that point and I really liked where it was going. Obviously though anyone who'd been playing the games in release order would know like half of the twists up to that point though, so I'm interested to stack my experiences up with everyone else's once I'm qualified to join the discussion.

PhaseJump

Banned

The Turbo CD game is actually good for what it is. It's a shame that the sequel never got translated.

The old legend of heroes have no relation to the Trails sub series besides the name.

Trails/Kiseki started with Trails in The Sky First Chapter back in 2004.

A sub series of a sub series. Microsoft needs to absorb Falcom and extinguish them, to bring sanity and order to the chaos that has consumed weeaboo gaming.

They hinted on there won't be any sequel if this is not selling well, seems like hajimari is not doing as well as they hoped and they are giving players a warning that this could be the last.
If they're looking at Hajimari as a measure of the state of the series, that would be fucking dumb. Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears to be an in-between-arcs side game that makes no sense for someone new to the series. They shouldn't expect it to sell well to begin with.
I really wish we got more AAA JRPGs.
Same here, but AAA JRPGs must be a nightmare to create, look at FFXV and more recently Granblue Fantasy (does it count as AAA?) being delayed into 2022.

In my opinion AA JRPGs are a better route for developers as they don't need a crazy budget. NieR Automata comes to mind as a game that surpassed expectations because of how good it is while not biting more than it can chew in terms of scope.

Now that I think about it, Automata is both a sequel and a standalone game. There's no prerequisite lore, character or plot knowledge to understand and enjoy it, whereas the question of "do I have to play 6-9 games before this one" is deterrring a bunch of would-be players as we can see in this thread. I think the old model of a) an arc told through multiple games and b) previous arcs help better understand newer ones is no longer reliable. Falcom went crazy with Cold Steel and, imo, overboard with Hajimari.

The case of Xenosaga comes to mind, where Takahashi realized that his "ambitious story split into several episodes" approach was not commercially viable, no matter how good the story was going to be, and changed his approach to standalone games as seen in the Xenoblade series.

From the info we got about Kuro no Kiseki, it seems the team at Falcom knows that they need to switch to a standalone approach -- with the majority of the cast being new and the game having a "proper ending" -- but they don't seem very confident in this project because of two things: 1) they mentioned they wouldn't make a sequel if the game underperforms and 2) I suspect they're pushing the battle system towards seamless action to attract more players which would mean they don't expect the game to sell well enough if it appeals only to hardcore RPG fans. It's like dumbing down the mechanics of a fighting game *cough cough Guilty Gear Strive* to reach a larger player base in the hope that the costly project will be profitable.

I also think Falcom is shooting themselves in the foot by revealing the new game through low-resolutions screenshots. First impressions matter a lot, they should've dropped a trailer a la Tales of Arise. You want your game to sell well? Show us what it looks like. Give us an interesting world to explore and a premise that anyone can jump into.

Admittedly, it's still too early to make a judgement, but if this game underperforms and the series stops, that would be akin to punishing the fans for something the devs committed themselves.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Pretty excited. I've yet to play Sen IV and of course Hajimari, but I'm glad despite it being a "soft-reboot" they're not outright ignoring previous games/characters. That's my biggest worry with this whole End of Saga/New Beginning business.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Pretty excited. I've yet to play Sen IV and of course Hajimari, but I'm glad despite it being a "soft-reboot" they're not outright ignoring previous games/characters. That's my biggest worry with this whole End of Saga/New Beginning business.
I made a thread how this might be the only series in gaming history.

It's really amazing what they accomplished except....

Will it ever actually conclude?

What are they going to do to make sure aren't disappointed when it does end? They're really going to have to do something special and amazing. This will be no easy task.

YukiOnna

I made a thread how this might be the only series in gaming history.

It's really amazing what they accomplished except....

Will it ever actually conclude?

What are they going to do to make sure aren't disappointed when it does end? They're really going to have to do something special and amazing. This will be no easy task.
I know Kondo said after IV they're past the halfway point, but with how many games it took to conclude the first half of the saga... it's probably going to be another long ride. Especially with how they handle the movement of the main antagonist.

MagnesG

Banned
I get bored of the series halfway through Kiseki III. Too much of anime bloats and repeating dialogues. Gameplay doesn't revamp itself much too.

They need to step up their plot game back at least, then maybe I'll get back.

lachesis

I think it's not necessary to play anything before Trails in The Sky to enjoy current storyline.
If you want to enjoy classic ones, Legend of Heroes Gagharv trilogy is nice. (Moonlight Witch / Tear of Vermillion / Song of the Ocean) - but that's a conclusive story.

Legend of Heroes - Trails series.. there are quite a few, but a couple I think you can skip, I heard.

To cover the main storyline... (All of them share same world at similar timeline - so they are interconnected)
Sky-Sky 2nd Chapter - Sky 3rd chapter Trilogy - although I heard 3rd chapter is basically a fan service story to flesh out a bit..

Then
Zero - Azure Duology

Then
Cold Steel 1-4 Quadrilogy

Followed by
Hajimari & Kuro.. and on.

Kondo mentioned that it's nearing the end of the saga - so hopefully next couple of game s would be the end of the Trails series.

YukiOnna

Teaser Site, Direct Feed Screenshots and Prologue is Up. Spoilers beyond this point, obviously:

The-Legend-of-Heroes-Kuro-no-Kiseki_12-17-20_002.jpg

Beyond the blue sky, ahead of a flashing light, a land of dawning resides—.

This latter half of the Trails series is about to begin! The setting moves to the Calvard Republic—.

In 2021, Falcom will release The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki, the latest entry in the Trails series, as its 40th anniversary commemorative work.

The Calvard Republic is a multiethnic nation experiencing unprecedented economic growth brought about by postwar reparations. In a corner of the capital of a huge nation where immigration issues bring about political instability and a new president is pushing for radical political reform, a young man who works as a “Spriggan” (Underground Fixer) receives a peculiar job, which eventually develops into an issue that shakes the entire nation of Calvard.

The command-style AT (Action Time) battle system used in previous Trails titles has been revamped! Seamlessly transition from action-oriented field battles to turn-based command battle systems while making use of the unique elements of the sixth generation combat orbment “Xipha” in a battle system evolved from the previous Trails titles.

Kuro no Kiseki will feature many original elements that utilize its setting, including a “Topics” system that enables you to gather intel (topics) by communicating with NPCs throughout towns to create situations in your favor when you act as a Spriggan; and an “Alignment Flames” system in which your character’s three alignments (“Lawful,” “Gray,” and “Chaotic”) fluctuate depending on your play style, influencing various statuses, allies and adversaries, and even scenario developments.

Please look forward to The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki, the latest entry in the Trails series, depicted in rich expression by Falcom’s new original engine!

Prologue (Spoilers):
Spriggans—a kind of “underground profession” born from the melting pot of diversity that is the Calvard Republic.

Some days as detectives, some days as negotiators, and other days as bounty hunters, they are up for any job from any client. That includes cases even the police are unable to handle and issues citizens cannot discuss in public, as well as “honest” work from criminals and underground organizations.

That was the style of the “underground fixers,” as they were called.

S.1208. A schoolgirl wearing the uniform of a prestigious school visits an rundown building located in the old town of the Republic’s capital.

“The Arclide Fixer Agency.”

With a dignified gaze, the girl glances at the cold typography of a slate that bears this name.

She swallows her breath and knocks three times with determination.

“Yaaawn, well a client before noon is rare…”

The mature, yet young; sloppy, yet composed voice of a man echoes as the doorknob slowly turned.

—This is the beginning of a new Trails.

YukiOnna

3 Part Interview translated by FrontlineJP

Hudo

The game's protagonists :

The-Legend-of-Heroes-Kuro-no-Kiseki_Character-Art_12-20-20_001-1536x864.jpg

The-Legend-of-Heroes-Kuro-no-Kiseki_Character-Art_12-20-20_002-1536x864.jpg

Falcom revealed character artwork for the protagonist and heroine of the newly announced The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki at Falcom Day 2020 Winter. The illustrations were drawn by Katsumi Enami, and the character designs are by Falcom. The characters’

Source
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/12/the...-kiseki-protagonist-and-heroine-illustrations
Do we know who the artist is? It kinda looks like the same artist(s) that drew the portraits for the Zero and Ao games.

Thief1987

Do we know who the artist is? It kinda looks like the same artist(s) that drew the portraits for the Zero and Ao games.
Yes Katsumi Enami was artist for Crosbell duology, also Ys VII
NIS translating them pretty fast. I expect to be playing the next one The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki in english fall of 2021 or early 2022.
It took more than 2 years to translate ToCS IV, we will see how it will be for Hajimari first.

Last edited:

Hudo

Yes Katsumi Enami was artist for Crosbell duology, also Ys VII
Thanks, man. I knew it felt familiar! Kinda excited now. Not that I think the art of the Cold Steel games is bad....it's just a tad too generic for me, I have to admit. But that's just a matter of personal taste.

YukiOnna

I really don't like the Crossbell art style, so this kinda blows. But I'll try to get use to it... they should hire the interns who did Sen and Hajimari full-time.

No way it'll be Fall of 2021. More like Fall of 2022.
Be more optimistic dude, they've manged to release 2 text heavy games (CS3 and CS4) in a year! Along with Ys8 and soon Ys9! I'm pretty sure Hajimari will be released next September/October and Kuro won't be far behind it IF and only IF Falcom plays ball and provides them with the script early, and judging by recent comments by Kondo they're aiming for WW simultaneous releases of their games and paying more attention to the rest of the world.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Be more optimistic dude, they've manged to release 2 text heavy games (CS3 and CS4) in a year! Along with Ys8 and soon Ys9! I'm pretty sure Hajimari will be released next September/October and Kuro won't be far behind it IF and only IF Falcom plays ball and provides them with the script early, and judging by recent comments by Kondo they're aiming for WW simultaneous releases of their games and paying more attention to the rest of the world.

Realistically im expecting the beginning of 2022 like the next Ys game releasing 2/21.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Its only taken them 1 year 5 months to have Ys IX ready for US release.
Be more optimistic dude, they've manged to release 2 text heavy games (CS3 and CS4) in a year! Along with Ys8 and soon Ys9! I'm pretty sure Hajimari will be released next September/October and Kuro won't be far behind it IF and only IF Falcom plays ball and provides them with an early script, and judging by recent comments by Kondo they're aiming for WW simultaneous releases of their games and paying more attention to the rest of the world.
My apologies. I misread and thought you were referring to Kuro no Kiseki.

Yeah Hajimari will probably be released late next year in North America, assuming this whole Covid BS doesn't stall it.

YukiOnna

Aight it's just the artwork I think:
"The illustrations were drawn by Katsumi Enami, and the character designs are by Falcom. The characters’ names were not announced."
I can maybe be at ease.

Hajimari is 100% next year.
October 22, 2019 <- Sen III
October 27, 2020 <- Sen IV

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Aight it's just the artwork I think:
"The illustrations were drawn by Katsumi Enami, and the character designs are by Falcom. The characters’ names were not announced."
I can maybe be at ease.

Hajimari is 100% next year.
October 22, 2019 <- Sen III
October 27, 2020 <- Sen IV

Let the good times roll. I'm glad we're moving on from Rean.

Darkmakaimura

E5S1aoq.jpg

Anyone else getting a slight cyberpunk (not "Cyberpunk") vibe from this? Like that creature he's summoning looks like it's "digitizing" into being?

Top Bottom