• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 |OT| Class Reunion

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is the first time I've preordered a game and had it arrive before release. And Best Buy with the deals, got CS1 LE + CS2 both on day one for a total of $62.

YEtuPzz.jpg

Still not planning on playing either until after 3rd. But CS2 tempts me.

Jiraiza

To carry on the tradition from the thread for the first game; Jusis, best boy.

On another note, guess I should play through these two games in English now that they're out.

FF XV originally came out on my birthday (9/30). But everyone knows how that turned out. So now I've asked for this for my birthday. But that means I have to wait 3 weeks :-(

NA store is notoriously inconsistent to the point of being infuriating. Stuff usually starts popping up around 2pm PST, but don't at all be surprised if it takes until 5-6 for the whole store to roll over with all the new releases up.

Oh boo, that's too long.

Thanks for the info.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I am so damn excited for this. Cold Steel 1 was basically everything I like about RPGs, with a fresh coat of paint. It's one of my favorite games in the genre. With everyone saying the sequel is better, well... I don't even know what to expect.

Xena

I finally beat 1 yesterday (although I bought both vita and Ps3 versions on release day, when I heard of the cliffhanger being on the same caliber of Trails the Sky 1, I decided to wait until it was closer to 2's release).

I enjoyed the game (although I still prefer Trails in the Sky overall). Can't wait for tomorrow!

For Trails in the Sky I had the same day release date wait for each game. Now it will be the first time I play two games in the same series back-to-back. I hope I don't get burned out like some people mentioned they did doing this with the Sky series, lol!

preta

I am so damn excited for this. Cold Steel 1 was basically everything I like about RPGs, with a fresh coat of paint. It's one of my favorite games in the genre. With everyone saying the sequel is better, well... I don't even know what to expect.

Have you played the Sky games?

Good News: I'm getting my copy Day One despite not choosing release day delivery 😄

Bad News: It won't matter one lick because I'm not even at CS1's halfway point yet 😞

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Have you played the Sky games?

I played TiTS FC and part of SC. FC was good and I had a great time playing it, but there's no stakes and no severity to anything that happens, until like... the very end. That was a little disappointing. SC... I tried to play it right after FC, and got sidetracked. But it was a much better game. Neither comes close to Cold Steel for me, though.

Admittedly, a lot of it does come down to the soundtracks.

preta

I played TiTS FC and part of SC. FC was good and I had a great time playing it, but there's no stakes and no severity to anything that happens, until like... the very end. That was a little disappointing. SC... I tried to play it right after FC, and got sidetracked. But it was a much better game. Neither comes close to Cold Steel for me, though.

You'd like the Crossbell games a lot I think. Especially Ao, which is Shit Gets Real: The Game.

Firestar

The battle theme for this game is so amazing. Glad amazon got me my copy last friday because I finished the first game that same day and just continued on. Having a ton of fun

Cryoteck

Just finished Cold Steel 1 about 20 minutes ago! Ready for my copy tomorrow. I'm glad I waited to finish it, I don't think I could have waited for so long after that cliffhanger.

preta

These have to come over after TC, right? RIGHT?

It's called The 3rd for a reason, and not Third Chapter.

There's nothing keeping XSEED from bringing over Zero (other than the time and effort involved), but Ao has no Japanese PC version, so they'd have to figure out licensing with the company that did the Chinese PC port (or else wait for that company to license their port back to Falcom and go from there). There's certainly no lack of interest on XSEED's part.

All these issues with localizing Zero and Ao is why I decided to just learn to read kanji for once and for all. I hope to play them later this year, or after XSEED releases The 3rd.

I think this is the first time I've preordered a game and had it arrive before release. And Best Buy with the deals, got CS1 LE + CS2 both on day one for a total of $62.

YEtuPzz.jpg

Still not planning on playing either until after 3rd. But CS2 tempts me.

Waiting for 3rd or not is my current struggle :/

Squire

Banned
Just got my shipping notification from Amazon.

I can feel myself being pulled towards the wheel of fortune!

Neoweee

So, is Nightmare reasonable for a first playthrough, or is it too dependent on abusive strategies, or too large of a risk of getting stuck? Hard in CS1 was bipolar, with trivially easy normal encounters, mostly good boss fights, and some dumb fights.

If the game is more open and non-linear than CS1, the Exp-to-level is like a more realistic RPG curve, rather than the aggressive soft-capping that is used in typical Trails games?

I wish people did more lore videos for Kiseki

I wouldnt mind a comolete refresher of all the games and fine details up to this point

Its so frustrating that we are stuck with so many gaps right now since 3 whole games have yet to be localized

I wish people did more lore videos for Kiseki

I wouldnt mind a comolete refresher of all the games and fine details up to this point

Its so frustrating that we are stuck with so many gaps right now since 3 whole games have yet to be localized

But at least this way we still have 3 whole (probably) amazing games left to play even after CS2.

And it gives us an excuse to replay the more recent Trails games.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's called The 3rd for a reason, and not Third Chapter.

There's nothing keeping XSEED from bringing over Zero (other than the time and effort involved), but Ao has no Japanese PC version, so they'd have to figure out licensing with the company that did the Chinese PC port (or else wait for that company to license their port back to Falcom and go from there).

I'm still unconvinced the existing PC ports will amount to anything. We know absolutely nothing about the contracts between Falcom and Joyoland. After LKS I'm thinking that XSEED will contract their own ports if they decide to release them. Also figure we will see PC ports of the CS games eventually, especially if Zero and Ao get localized.

1imuHeT.gif

Fuck almighty Falcom, Estelle and Joshua DLC? You know my principles! >_<

And there's that Shojo Heroine Alisa thing Kondo mentioned? Or from it?

Anywho, great OT, and I hope to have things situated at work so I can descend into this by Thursday at the latest.

This will be the Game Of The Year.

It has a real chance for mine; there's been no true GOAT like Spelunky, Legend of Grimrock 2, or Rocket League to snatch the crown with an iron fist like in previous years, and the word from the trustworthy is that this one is aces.

Playstation Lifestyle interview with Falcom President Toshihiro Kondo on Trails of Cold Steel II

Briefly talks about developing the game, and contains slight story and gameplay mechanic spoilers.

Thanks. Saved for later.

My only issue with the Estelle and Joshua dlc is that the game gives you the illusion that you can hook up Rean with whichever girl you prefer, Even if it pushes you towards Alisha. This dlc might as well be called "this is canon" :p I have no problem with them being canon, my issue is why give me the option if you're just gonna force a canon pair down the road anyways.

Famassu

Before they ever announced The Third, XSeed said something in the veins of "we won't do The Third if we also didn't plan to bring over Zero and Azure", since The Third is just as much about setting up some stuff for games that come after it as it is about tying up some loose ends from TitS and telling its own story. So they probably have some intention of at least trying to do their best to bring over Zero and Azure, of course if their finances allow it.

preta

Oh, also: The Crossbell games also have some of my favorite music in the series, so if that's a big factor, you'll be very pleased. In fact, Ao is tied with 3rd for my favorite soundtrack in the series.

Get Over the Barrier!
During Mission Accomplishment
Someday, Surely
To Be Continued! (used ingame in Ao)
Aoki Shizuku
Conflicting Passions
Unfathomed Force (Evo version) (my second favorite battle theme in the entire series after The Merciless Savior)

(It was surprisingly hard to find Ao songs that don't use Ao or Ao Evo box art, both of which contain a Zero spoiler.)

Thoraxes

You know how you can ensure this happening?

Get everyone you know to buy these great games! I'm buying double-copies of every Trails release, giving copies out to friends, lending them my PS3 and PSTV, anything.

Maxinas

My only issue with the Estelle and Joshua dlc is that the game gives you the illusion that you can hook up Rean with whichever girl you prefer, Even if it pushes you towards Alisha. This dlc might as well be called "this is canon" :p I have no problem with them being canon, my issue is why give me the option if you're just gonna force a canon pair down the road anyways.

67b.jpg

Squire

Banned
1imuHeT.gif

Fuck almighty Falcom, Estelle and Joshua DLC? You know my principles! >_<

And there's that Shojo Heroine Alisa thing Kondo mentioned? Or from it?

Anywho, great OT, and I hope to have things situated at work so I can descend into this by Thursday at the latest.

It has a real chance for mine; there's been no true GOAT like Spelunky, Legend of Grimrock 2, or Rocket League to snatch the crown with an iron fist like in previous years, and the word from the trustworthy is that this one is aces.

FE Fates and Overwatch have been the most mechanically excellent experiences I've encountered in a good while, but nothing substantial narratively. CS1 was the whole package for me though. If CS2 is as good as it's been made out to be, nothing is going to top it, fairly certain.

Top Bottom