• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 |OT| Class Reunion

I hate Josette because she's tied to some of the worst parts of
Liber Ark.
:X
idk, like most I didnt care about her in FC, but in SC I liked a lot of her screen time as long as estelle wasn't around.
Them together was of course just a recipe to butt heads. However her pining over Joshua and getting her hopes up was actually sad in its own way.

Of course im not quite sure what you are referring to as the worst parts, thinking about it, I guess I do and I dont agree, maybe...lol aaaand...
realizing you wrote Ark I of course know what you are talking about...I was fine with that part

Bladenic

I was actually just mad then because I just had to do the trial chest with Alisa and Machias and for some reason it was really hard, had to retry like 6 times. He's not useless, nobody is, although his low attack stats hinders him as the Cold Steel series really feel like the best way to play is hyper offensively. Burst Drive is helpful but when you can finish a battle just by using a strength buff and unleashing S-breaks, Burst Drive rarely even is needed.

pixxxelz

How many of those
ancient quartz
are in this game? just got my first one (
searing sun gem
) and this thing is nuts!

How many of those
ancient quartz
are in this game? just got my first one (
searing sun gem
) and this thing is nuts!

a cool tip about them is that while they normally require a full ep bar to use and eat up all of it, they still act like any other art and drop to 0 ep required if you use them on a zero arts turn

a cool tip about them is that while they normally require a full ep bar to use and eat up all of it, they still act like any other art and drop to 0 ep required if you use them on a zero arts turn
they of course also follow the rule that they instant cast during overdrive, which makes them a cornerstone of my "deal absurd damage before the boss even gets a turn" strategy

Moonlight

Banned
You can get them out on demand with Overdrive, too.

EDIT: Oh, already mentioned.

I was actually just mad then because I just had to do the trial chest with Alisa and Machias and for some reason it was really hard, had to retry like 6 times. He's not useless, nobody is, although his low attack stats hinders him as the Cold Steel series really feel like the best way to play is hyper offensively. Burst Drive is helpful but when you can finish a battle just by using a strength buff and unleashing S-breaks, Burst Drive rarely even is needed.
Unleashing S-Breaks is a terribly boring way to play the game, and the game's progression system is in and of itself designed to encourage you to take advantage of most of its' other systems. There's plenty of bosses I could have ended much sooner but I always felt encouraged to play it out more normally for the XP rewards. I find it to be a very smart system.

It's why Fie is my preferred sort of broken, because even if she's basically invincible, she can't end boss fights like Rean or Laura can, and there are still some considerations to make with her (namely magic attacks) that you still need to play around.

pixxxelz

Nice, thanks.
Yep I noticed that.
they of course also follow the rule that they instant cast during overdrive, which makes them a cornerstone of my "deal absurd damage before the boss even gets a turn" strategy
Wow I didn't even know you could cast artes instantly during overdrive smh...

Moonlight

Banned
At the very final dungeon and only now realizing how stupid good Spirit Unification really is, not just for the buffs, but for the guaranteed turn steal. Really satisfying to move directly into a CP bonus or crit turn.

You can get them out on demand with Overdrive, too.

EDIT: Oh, already mentioned.

Unleashing S-Breaks is a terribly boring way to play the game, and the game's progression system is in and of itself designed to encourage you to take advantage of most of its' other systems. There's plenty of bosses I could have ended much sooner but I always felt encouraged to play it out more normally for the XP rewards. I find it to be a very smart system.

It's why Fie is my preferred sort of broken, because even if she's basically invincible, she can't end boss fights like Rean or Laura can, and there are still some considerations to make with her (namely magic attacks) that you still need to play around.

instant killing bosses is still usually just as good for XP, outside of "Call Allies" bosses. Swift and Unscathed bonuses are boons, add in usually getting a Vanquisher since most bosses start with adds

I definitely had full broken the game over backwards by the end, but I was still having fun. Theres a lot of amusement in doing so for me in games like this. The only complaint I have is that it was too easy to do so and too straight forward. Breaking older final fantasies n such usually required something more clever than stacking STR buffs with damage multiplying abilities, kindve like the Fie strategy.

If they removed tauros, pandora, domination, and hades gem the game would still have breakable strategies, just not the super obvious ones we have

At the very final dungeon and only now realizing how stupid good Spirit Unification really is, not just for the buffs, but for the guaranteed turn steal. Really satisfying to move directly into a CP bonus or crit turn.
use spirit unification > overdrive (30CP gain) > attack and use burst > have 200CP for spirit unification s craft

drac96

I feel kind of dumb asking this here, but I'm going to anyways. I went through the first game and only used U-Material in the last dungeon.

In this game I seem to be getting way more. I have 70 on me at the moment. Should I be using these to upgrade weapons? Is it more beneficial to just buy new weapons when I see them?

I'm one of those people that hordes all their items in RPGs, because they might be useful later and then never ends up using them...

I feel kind of dumb asking this here, but I'm going to anyways. I went through the first game and only used U-Material in the last dungeon.

In this game I seem to be getting way more. I have 70 on me at the moment. Should I be using these to upgrade weapons? Is it more beneficial to just buy new weapons when I see them?

I'm one of those people that hordes all their items in RPGs, because they might be useful later and then never ends up using them...
I always upgraded weapons for the main 4 I was using, and also dumped u materials on random shit like coloring and important things like accessory synthing. By the end of the game I still had 99 u material. Shit is handed out like candy in this one

Bladenic

My Fie has 80% evasion, I can't decide if I want to get her to 90% since I don't want to remove any other Quartz or equipment. So close! I know I had her at 100% in CS. Of course one cast of Shining would rectify that in battle.

I'm in finale about to start the operation, does anyone know where Anton is? I wanna see what he says.

Also just got Hades, Emma just got way better. Too bad it doesn't work on her S-craft.

My Fie has 80% evasion, I can't decide if I want to get her to 90% since I don't want to remove any other Quartz or equipment. So close! I know I had her at 100% in CS. Of course one cast of Shining would rectify that in battle.

I'm in finale about to start the operation, does anyone know where Anton is? I wanna see what he says.

Also just got Hades, Emma just got way better. Too bad it doesn't work on her S-craft.
do you have 2 evergreens?

but it works on lost arts, and those do more damage for emma than her s craft anyway

Hikami

If you give her the Falco(?) master quartz I think it's called, she starts battles with insight status. Also gives an evasion boost.

Neoweee

(Notes on characters, from a perspective NG Nightmare)

The Damage algorithms heavily, heavily favor specialization rather than balanced builds, which hurts the characters that have reasonable balances between STR and ATS, like Machias or Jusis. Any deviation from specialization requires a sharp increase in Utility crafts. Overall, it's pretty well-balanced. Emma does more damage than Elliot, but Elliot has better Crafts (both Regen/Def and the Heal/Cure. Likewise with Laura and Gauis, IMO, with Gauis cheapest skill being a fairly reliable Seal.

The hybrid/balanced characters are tougher to judge . Jusis is shit for damage, but has at least one fantastic craft and borderline-irreplaceable Craft. Machias is a much, much tougher sell, though, as none of his skills are that good, unique, or general. I liked him in CS1, but the increased resistances to debuffs and Stat Downs has left him in an even worse position.

jman2050

U-materials are given away like candy in this game so you should have no qualms about using them if you think you need them. Later in the game there's a way to grind out as many U-materials as you need.

Midway thru endgame and...

dCQsqPo.gif

I predicted half of it, same as always.
Laura is ALL ON BOARD for this due to her Lance Maiden dreams. lol
Good shit.

Will beat this evening for more MINDBLOWINGEDNESS.

I hate Josette because she's tied to some of the worst parts of
Liber Ark.
:X

"I Emma Millstein, have realized that cool badasses in Zemuria have equally cool nicknames. Therefore, I am heretofore to be known as The Destroyer of Worlds."

Wow, the end of the Intermission is anime as fuck.

I just picture Rean running down the hallway
carrying a rescued Alfin and punching all the bad guys
shouting "NOT TAKING SIDES! NOT TAKING SIDES!"

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wow, the end of the Intermission is anime as fuck.

I just picture Rean running down the hallway
carrying a rescued Alfin and punching all the bad guys
shouting "NOT TAKING SIDES! NOT TAKING SIDES!"
All while totally taking sides.

End of Act 2.
I like how they hype up the Trista battle, make you think you need to equip and set up all of your characters, and then only set you against a bunch of chump students that die immediately.

End of Act 2.
I like how they hype up the Trista battle, make you think you need to equip and set up all of your characters, and then only set you against a bunch of chump students that die immediately.

Yeah, those fights were really pretty laughable. Not only that, but they hyped that Divine Knight battle, which was the easiest of the whole game as well.

Akoi

Just ordered this today from Amazon and I haven't even started the first one yet (vita) but today is the last day I think you get the 20% off deal. (might be tomorrow)

Nyoro SF

End of Act 2.

Yes. This part made me laugh my ass off. The build up, the speeches... then I dropped the nukes.

desmax

GODDAMMIT, I FORGOT TO GIVE THAT FUCKING STICKER BACK TO MUNK

I'll have to replay the whole Roer section again. Oh well, glad I made multiple saves

Oh man holy shit (Game Ending spoilers)
I honestly did not expect Rufus to be an Ironblood, or Rean to, quite literally, be an Ironblood as well. CS2 really is the Empire Strikes Back to CS1 isn't it?

But this Crossbell chapter tho. I've never played Ao or Zero, but this feels like something that should be hype as fuck

Baust

Question about how something works gameplay-wise. I'll mark it in spoilers just in case...

Act 2 first set of quests spoilers:
Does the Cryptid at Garrelia Fortress count as a quest? Like, will it expire, or is this something that I can return to later? It's level 100 and pretty tough right now.

Question about how something works gameplay-wise. I'll mark it in spoilers just in case...

Act 2 first set of quests spoilers:
Does the Cryptid at Garrelia Fortress count as a quest? Like, will it expire, or is this something that I can return to later? It's level 100 and pretty tough right now.
you have all the way until the end of act 2

anyone have a save with all character endings available they could share? Im not going to be able to spare the time to unlock them all, especially with not really feeling new game + here

Correction, you can fight them at the beginning of Act 3 until you begin the operation. I finished all of them off during part 3 of act 3, but you've got plenty of time to beat them later on when you're much stronger.
oh yeam, that makes sense, I was thinking act 3 didnt start until you hit commence operation. you know how trails is with its weird "END CHAPTER" screens popping up, then 20 minutes of shit happening before "BEGIN CHAPTER"

Okay, this bit at the beginning of the Finale if you go to a specific location is taking the lack of death thing to a ridiculous level.

How on earth is Lieutenant General Walter alive after Garrelia Fortress was annihilated? I mean, everyone in the game seems just as dumbfounded, but still.

It's more hilarious than anything else.

Okay, this bit at the beginning of the Finale if you go to a specific location is taking the lack of death thing to a ridiculous level.

How on earth is Lieutenant General Walter alive after Garrelia Fortress was annihilated? I mean, everyone in the game seems just as dumbfounded, but still.

It's more hilarious than anything else.

I get the feeling that this would make more sense if we played the crossbell games TBH

Taruranto

Chapter 2-2 Ending:

I liked that it was Angelica who fought her father, and your party was basically "It's not our business." The game went full mecha tho', duels between giant robots and Goliath looked like a Xenogears mech.

Chapter 2-3 Sub-quest:

What happens if you guess the wrong culprit? Actually, what happenes if you don't do it? Since Bluebanc replaced Machias...

Neoweee

This is a very good game.

This is a very long game.

It is also wildly too easy, even on Nightmare and not doing anything remotely cheesy.

But it is still a very good game.

35 Hours, starting
2-4

The game is widly far too aggressive with bumping up your levels periodically. Everybody was inexplicably raised to 96. Why? 2 of my core members weren't even that high.

Chapter 2-3 Sub-quest:

What happens if you guess the wrong culprit? Actually, what happenes if you don't do it? Since Bluebanc replaced Machias...

You keep picking until you pick
Emma
or
Machias
and get 0 AP

Guessing
Emma
first try nets you one AP as
Fie
corrects you, and guessing
Machias
first try plays the scene out as intended and nets you the 2 bonus AP

Baust

you have all the way until the end of act 2

I didn't expect Isra-Zamiel to be such a pushover for someone that's essentially on a first playthrough (only carried over bonds points bonus) and only at level 112.

Even later than that actually.

Correction, you can fight them at the beginning of Act 3 until you begin the operation. I finished all of them off during part 3 of act 2, but you've got plenty of time to beat them later on when you're much stronger.

Kinda figured they'd give that much time. Thanks!

jman2050

(Act 2 Part 4 spoilers) Oh geez I was hoping they wouldn't actually do this but
the Celdic coma patients all waking up due to the POWER OF MUSIC is anime as all hell.

Bladenic

This game should be retitled Legend of Heroes: Trails of BIG DAMN HEROES

Kind of sick of "oh we beat the boss YAY oh wait no now they're going all "my power is over 9000" and we're screwed. Oh hey y'all just coming to save the day." Ugh JAPAN

Moonlight

Banned
This game should be retitled Legend of Heroes: Trails of BIG DAMN HEROES

Kind of sick of "oh we beat the boss YAY oh wait no now they're going all "my power is over 9000" and we're screwed. Oh hey y'all just coming to save the day." Ugh JAPAN
What other JRPG series out there continuously reaffirms the fact that your main party aren't the biggest players in the grander scheme of things? That establishes a broad spectrum of power that characters are placed unevenly on? You're certainly allowed to dislike it, but 'ugh Japan' (and as if 'big damn heroes' is inherently a Japanese concept in general) isn't really the sort of reaction that Trails deserves when it's pretty unique among its' peers for doing exactly that.

It was one of the things I found and continue to find one of the best parts of Trails as a series; that it's a story involving unimaginably strong people and that those people are doing things entirely appropriate to that degree of strength; whereas your story tends to be more personal.
Moreover, it's an excellent way to remove certain characters from the finale when by their abilities combined would trivialize some problems

Top Bottom