• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 |OT| Class Reunion

Beryl only joined after all of the bonding scenes were done so she was never really any use. Reloaded an old save that let me get Fie and Sara above level 6. Rather wish I hadn't though, I don't want to date either of them because Rean is so bland that it just feels embarrassingly awkward, they just don't have that kind of relationship. I really don't get why they made this a dating sim, this is why I picked Crow in the first game. Seems like men can only have intimate platonic friendships with men in Erebonia.

Bonding event spoilers

His final bonding scene with both characters is completely platonic.

jman2050

All this negativity makes me glad I didn't buy it at launch because I hadn't finished the first game yet.
3rd is still a day 1 but I'm gonna wait for a good sale on this one.
Having enjoyed the first game, this backlash is a bit surprising, I guess they really dropped the ball which is a shame

Nah this is the best Trails game so far IMO.

Just finished the game! The ending sure did drag and didn't help when Millium quipped
"Now this is a final dungeon" or something like that in Infernal Castle. That sure was the final dungeon alright...
Anyways..., this is definitely in my top 5 of my personal GOTY standings right now and I can't wait for Cold Steel III!

zakujanai

Bonding event spoilers

The two I saw weren't. Both were very clear about feelings beyond friends, The scene for
Sara
especially so. The
Towa
scene was platonic I feel, if a little weird with the kneeling down bit.

I'm pretty gutted that
Rean
is confirmed to be in the third game, gives me little hope of it being any better than this one.

Bonding event spoilers

[Bonding event]
There is no way Fie's scene is platonic unless we have a minimum requirement of kissing or the utterance of "I am attracted to you romantically" to qualify something as not platonic.

The two I saw weren't. Both were very clear about feelings beyond friends, The scene for
Sara
especially so. The
Towa
scene was platonic I feel, if a little weird with the kneeling down bit.

I'm pretty gutted that
Rean
is confirmed to be in the third game, gives me little hope of it being any better than this one.

You haven't finished it, yar? [Spoiler-tagging this because you spoiler-tagged that name]
I think knowing Rean's place as a character by the end of the game is very important in forming expectations of the third game, one way or the other.

[Bonding event]
There is no way Fie's scene is platonic unless we have a minimum requirement of kissing or the utterance of "I am attracted to you romantically" to qualify something as not platonic.

Headpats and kisses on the cheek just seem like platonic gestures to me.
Maybe I'm crazy lol

The only ones that seem romantic to me at all are
Alisa, Emma and Laura

Fie, Sara, Millium, Towa and Alfin
don't strike me as romantic at all. I was actually disappointed by this because I feel that
Towa
in CS1 and
Alfin
in CS2 bonding events and story sequences seemed to be building up to romantic feelings developing more than any other characters in those respective games.

Jeffrey

best thing about cs3 is that... I basically have no expectations.

I'll have to see ys ps4 first, but hey if the whole game looks like that alisa art and its 60fps and skipping animations is quicker, good enough for me.

zakujanai

I'm on the first boss in the finale and getting major SC vibes. I brought Laura to that one and it felt like I'd have missed some important stuff if I hadn't. Sara got a little nod from them too. Are the other bosses the same? Fie has never left my party so I'll be OK in the one I expect she'll be required for. What are the recommended people to take for each one? I didn't take Millium against
Altina
, did I miss anything?

Edit: I think I was fan-girling harder than Dorothee at that
Mueller and Neithardt
scene.
I'm male

I'm on the first boss in the finale and getting major SC vibes. I brought Laura to that one and it felt like I'd have missed some important stuff if I hadn't. Sara got a little nod from them too. Are the other bosses the same? Fie has never left my party so I'll be OK in the one I expect she'll be required for. What are the recommended people to take for each one? I didn't take Millium against
Altina
, did I miss anything?

Mueller and Neithardt
scene.
I'm male

Laura - Fie - Emma in that order. Laura and Fie are significant to their character development, while Emma has a few small lines that will probably be explained more in a later game.

Jeffrey

best bring sara along for the last boss too for that one line
'I think im in love', because agreed.

I never got why your party members don't 'power up' before a major fight. Every major baddie does!

Seems dis-respectable.

Shahed

One more shrine to go. Is there an option to turn off dungeon BGM????
You'll be hearing that song a lot more. I'm in the 'final' dungeon and it's present there. It's also in cutscenes preceding the place too.
Laura - Fie - Emma in that order. Laura and Fie are significant to their character development, while Emma has a few small lines that will probably be explained more in a later game.
Oh that works out. I haven't fought a boss yet but I take all three of those. My team is usually:

Rean, Laura, Alisa and Sara. I kind of have to take the main character and Rean is pretty good anyway with high attack and good delay skills. Sara and Laura are just power houses, Laura for her sheer damage and Sara is all around awesome and is practically as strong as Laura. Alisa is there for Heavenly Gift. I use Emma and Jusis as support in case I feel like using Arts or Noble Command. Since you were allowed an extra character here I took Fie.

zakujanai

I never got why your party members don't 'power up' before a major fight. Every major baddie does!

Seems dis-respectable.

You've just named my base team. Laura, Sara and Fie because they're good, strong female characters. Emma is a bit too megane boob witch for my tastes but she's just to damn good an artes user.

Good to know I'll get the best out of the scenes, been waiting the entire game for Fie to hopefully
reconcile with three Zephyr duo.

Jeffrey

Honestly wish Emma had a bit more going for her. You left off CS1 expecting the sequel to really delve into her Harry Potter world, but I don't think we really got anything besides more teases?

Emma in two isnt about her backstory, its about knowing just enough of it to understand where shes coming from, and why shes struggling with how she wants her life to be now.

I found her really compelling in CS2

Shahed

If anything apart from certain situations that relate to individual characters, Emma is one of the two characters with Sara it made sense to take with me everywhere. Partly for her, and partly for her cat. The rest of students were just tag alongs really.

So as much as she is a megane boob witch with a yaoi loving friend, I always took her when possible

Seems dis-respectable.

"Ohhhhh look, it's my two FAVORITE people."

Maybe those constant win-> power up -> saved by adults are justified after all! :p

Emma in two isnt about her backstory, its about knowing just enough of it to understand where shes coming from, and why shes struggling with how she wants her life to be now.

I found her really compelling in CS2

Her and Rean are very similar in that "harmony-building betas with a huge amount of potential". Potential both about her arc and her personality. Lessee if they sink or swim with her too.

PK Gaming

It describes her to a tee really.

Yo kewlmyc what's up man, did you beat CS1 yet?

uA8aHeX.png

Seriously though, it's dangerous here and there are spoilers

Jeffrey

Actually thinking back, you don't actually learn that much more about key characters in 2 that you couldn't predict easily enough.

Maybe that's why I'm a bit disappointed on that aspect.

PK Gaming

It felt more like 3/8 and 1/8, honestly. Basically every character development of party members, with the exception of
Jusis and Rean
are on hold in CS2.

I'd sooner say their character development is "finished" rather than on hold.
Jusis, Rean and Emma (imo)
simply have more growing to do.

Yeah most of the main characters completed their arcs in the first game. Those three are just challenged moreso than the others by the circumstances of the second game,
(Jusis in particular)
or were one of the few that didn't complete their character arc in CS1.
(Rean and Emma, and I'd add Millium here as well)

duckroll

Beat the 4th Shrine. Finally the plot is kicking in again. Why is the pacing for this game so bad? The plot is actually really interesting whenever something happens! :p

Don't like the song yet?

Maybe you should listen to it a few more times

~Holy Saint, Holy Spirit, Tell Me...~

#*%^(#$^(#^$(#@^$@

redcrayon

Slogging through the end dungeon now
[the infernal castle]. Why, why, is there a need to repeat the earlier parts of the game and have every battle against major npcs end up with them defeated before having an anime aura power-up while the party cowers and thinks they now can't win, and then some allies turn up to keep them occupied? It's ridiculous, it's like they have such a huge cast of characters on both sides that they want to keep stressing how cool they are and that they never lose anything, but it's done in such a unsatisfying way. Even the party members where the battle actually relates to their motivations/character development shrug and run on while yet more npcs turn up. The knight girl I KO'd in under four turns, and was looking forward to some answers about how she related to Laura, but nope. I wouldn't mind if it was just a handful of them but it's been almost every boss battle vs anyone of note throughout the entire game. I'm still enjoying it but it's gone beyond silly now. At least in Trails SC they left the field, leaving you victorious (if still a little unsatisfied). At this point it would be nice if, occasionally, a Trails game let you put an npc enforcer down permanently.

Also, why do all these tank commanders (Craig the Red and his protege), seem to have zero idea about basic strategy and believe in conducting armoured warfare at melee range while standing on top of a tank? All their most dangerous opponents are mechs with melee weapons! That's the kind of thing I expect from Warhammer 40k maniacs, not people lauded across the country for being strategic geniuses! Would have been nice to see someone point out that the difference in range between cannons and swords is a significant disadvantage, and perhaps to see a mech-using hero that's decided to actually make use of one with a rifle rather than dancing around with martial arts in a mech instead.

I mean, I know that rpgs worship melee combat but when the background is mechanised warfare it's all a bit silly that the best way to deal with a tank is to get in a mech with a spear and run at it while 'dodging' incoming shells, because the commanders don't realise they are allowed to start firing when you are more than thirty feet away.

A bit more focus on personal development of individual members of class VII beyond 'friendship is magic' and a bit less obsession with a cast of 30+ supporting characters that all apparently need to be showing off how cool they are even as the game heads towards its conclusion would really help.

A bit less of having Fie/Altina etc saying 'beginning combat' or 'ending hostilities' in such a stilted way, as if a brief scrap was a major operation, would be good too. It doesn't make them sound more martial/professional, it just sounds weird when the only people that care are right there with you and well aware that a fight has started/finished. Woeful dialogue.

I meant on hold for Erebonia Part Two, because surely
Laura, Fie and Gaius's tales, at the very least, are not over yet? I hope? In any case, even if their character developments are already over over (nooo), what I'm getting at is how it felt like they blew all their load too much in CS1 instead of spreading them evenly across the two games, making many characters in the second game feel like they're doing nothing (with repeated conclusions).

The introduction of the noble faction generals ( Aurelia and Bardius ) imo are signs Laura and Gaius ain't having their story arcs finished anytime soon.

I expect those two to be the respective rivals in CS3 once they've gained several years worth of power levels.

The introduction of the noble faction generals ( Aurelia and Bardius ) imo are signs Laura and Gaius ain't having their story arcs finished anytime soon.

I expect those two to be the respective rivals in CS3 once they've gained several years worth of power levels.

Those characters don't have anything to do with them though

redcrayon

Altina
, did I miss anything?

Mueller and Neithardt
scene.
I'm male
Yeah, that was cool, great to see. I was hoping they would make an appearance too :)

PK Gaming

Don't like the song yet?

Maybe you should listen to it a few more times

That song was legitimately one of my favorites until I started mishearing the lyrics. It's almost completely ruined for me now :')

I meant on hold for Erebonia Part Two, because surely
Laura, Fie and Gaius's tales, at the very least, are not over yet? I hope? In any case, even if their character developments are already over over (nooo), what I'm getting at is how it felt like they blew all their load too much in CS1 instead of spreading them evenly across the two games, making many characters in the second game feel like they're doing nothing (with repeated conclusions).

Ah right, I getcha, I getcha.
I felt that some of these arcs were spread out decently across both games, like in Elliot's case where the 2nd game mostly showcases just how much he's grown as a person, but in other cases it's like, "did you know that Gaius considers Erebonia to be his second home?? Just to be clear, he considers Erebonia to be his second home!" (repeat ad nauseam)

Hopefully CS3 does right by everyone and gives them all something to work with. Especially Machias... please, please, please put him in an interesting place by the 3rd game Falcom.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
i just finished 2-3, or rather, got to the stopover day.

i was legit shock about what happened in celdic, that was so low, but WAS the point? what was duke albarea hopping to accomplish with that? he wanted higher recognition in the four great houses i think but how was that supposed to work for that? i think in the stopover day at bareahard i'll have the chance to talk to him

Poor louise and rip otto, i liked them since the first field trip :(, i hope louise gets better

i was not bothered by the slow start, but now that things started happening oh boy

zakujanai

I spent the entire game hoping there final boss confrontation wouldn't be an exact copy if TitS SC
I was disappointed. Crow=Loewe to the end.

zakujanai

How did you feel about
your boy showing up again?

I'm not even sure what this means. I've had to stop at the beginning of the divertissement but if you mean
Osborne
then I don't really know yet. My partner predicted that from the very end of CS1 but I didn't think she was right until the bit where they said
his body had disappeared.
Seems a bit of a cop out though to me.

PK Gaming

I'm not even sure what this means. I've had to stop at the beginning of the divertissement but if you mean
Osborne
then I don't really know yet. My partner predicted that from the very end of CS1 but I didn't think she was right until the bit where they said

I was talking about
Toval. Avatar aside, you seemed like you were really digging him

zakujanai

I was talking about
Toval. Avatar aside, you seemed like you were really digging him

Ah I see. It was nice to have him pop up again but I was naively hoping for an SC-style final chapter with everyone playable. His reappearance coincided with my other two favourites though who I took all the way through said final SC chapter.

Ah I see. It was nice to have him pop up again but I was naively hoping for an SC-style final chapter with everyone playable. His reappearance coincided with my other two favourites though who I took all the way through said final SC chapter.

Well
you get that in the epilogue along with 5 bonus characters becoming playable

zakujanai

Well
you get that in the epilogue along with 5 bonus characters becoming playable

Glad I've got that to look forward to, can't wait to have
adult party members
again. Presumably the other 2 are
Elise and Alfin
so not much interest there.

I just remembered there was a pretty awesome Toval bit I didn't comment on, where they teased him about Carmelia. But I though she was
dead
?? Need the weekend to get here so I can wrap this up and spend some time with my boy
Toval.

PK Gaming

adult party members
Elise and Alfin

I just remembered there was a pretty awesome Toval bit I didn't comment on, where they teased him about Carmelia. But I though she was
dead
?? Need the weekend to get here so I can wrap this up and spend some time with my boy
Toval.

Hook him up with a bunch of cast quartz and watch him belt out ultra powerful artz instantly. Seriously, he with his signature item, he's hilariously OP.

Hook him up with a bunch of cast quartz and watch him belt out ultra powerful artz instantly. Seriously, he with his signature item, he's hilariously OP.

I went for his item specifically at the end of act 1 on my 2nd playthrough just so I could put it on Emma.

Osborne

Kind of. But I think they've always hinted at
resurrection
being possible in the world of Kiseki. So I don't think it's too much of an asspull

I felt the same as you when I hit that point about
his body
, but by the end I loved the twist. Mostly because I think the development of
one of the countries/leaders that has been manipulated by Ouroboros finally outmaneuvering them and hijacking their plan for themselves.

I think it's such an interesting development after the Liberl and Crossbell chapters, where everything more or less goes as planned for them throughout the entire game. And I'm really interested in seeing what conflict develops from that

adult party members
Elise and Alfin

dead
Toval.

[Book Spoiler]
Well, she's dead in the novel. But so is Micht. So.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
i finished 2-3 for real this time, and damn, all that teasing about trails to zero and trails to azure, i swear if they don't announce localization of both by the end of next year, i'll start a japanese course, i know it'll take at least 4 years of studying before its enough for those two games but it'll probably be worth it

Top Bottom