• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Has Sold Over 1.5 Million Copies In Japan.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has broke a new sales milestone in Japan last week.

According to the latest Famitsu charts ending January 19, 2020, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has sold 1,502,526 copies at retail in Japan. It took less than 3 years for the epic game to achieve this milestone. If we add the digital sales together it’d definitely be much higher.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Is...that good? This only highlights how unimportant the Japanese market is.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have to admit this game disappointed me. It just didn't grab me the way previous Zelda games did. I appreciate that they tried new things, but I felt it was wayyy too bloated for it's own good and the lack of classic items such as iron boots, hookshot, and dungeons. There was no reason it needed 120 shrines to upgrade stamina and hearts. Things like terrible horse controls, and holy fuck did I hate the breaking weapons. HATED that mechanic so much, I am playing it on Cemu and I modded that out.

VertigoOA

Banned
There’s tons of stuff I don’t like about Botw. No Dungeons made me “reeeeeeeeee” to the high heavens and the shrines are poor replacement and filler content. Most of the zones were worthless and empty. And yea the weapon breakage in the game is the worst implementation of weapon durabilty in any game I have ever played.

Still best Zelda game since Majora’s Mask and the best game Nintendo has made since Metroid Prime. It had a great sense of wonder and charm.

I’ll be tempted to get a switch again for its sequel and whenever Metroid comes out of hiding for sure. And then sell it again.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
so it’s not that bad? Kinda eh?

1.5 mil is a fantastic success story for any Japanese game, to my understanding.

It might not match the something like 14 million copies of BotW sold elsewhere, or the usual numbers you’re used to hearing, but Japan is a much, much smaller country.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
It't strange how much less important the Japanese market got than it used to be. That's not to say that selling an extra 1.5M copies of your game in a single region is bad, but it's hard to think of Japan as being some tiny gaming userbase. When I was a kid we had to wait a year or longer to get what was cutting edge from there.

Top Bottom