• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonShula

The flame in the lamp does not affected by rain.

But you still have to move it from lamp to lamp, which you can't do while it's raining. And there's a moblin between basically every lamp. So you kill them all, then it stops raining, then blood moon, then it starts raining again. It wasn't challenging, just annoying.

That quest isn't easy if it starts raining three times during it, so you work ahead only to have a damn blood mood undo everything. Definition of tedium and not fun.

I think the rain is actually scripted for a few parts of that quest. It wants you to light all of the lamps on the path and then sorta gives you a challenge to get to the next lamp. I like quests like that.

Like, to get to one of of the lamps you have to climb over a big log or something, which you can't do while holding a torch/wooden weapon while preserving the flame, so you have to figure out another way to get the blue flame to the next lamp.
Like by throwing your torch

jariw

I will start a new game on a second account just to play Eventide Island without heart or stamina upgrades... Some of the shrine quests in BotW are truly amazing!

tkscz

That quest isn't easy if it starts raining three times during it, so you work ahead only to have a damn blood mood undo everything. Definition of tedium and not fun.

Oh? Try
getting the Zelda memory at the center of Hyrule, killing 4 guardians, with the last one taking all your shields, almost getting there, then the blood moon shows up and you get zapped from behind.
But what happened to your sounds like the worst luck ever.

But you still have to move it from lamp to lamp, which you can't do while it's raining. And there's a moblin between basically every lamp. So you kill them all, then it stops raining, then blood moon, then it starts raining again. It wasn't challenging, just annoying.

That's unlucky. I feel sorry.

kunonabi

I'm only about half way through, but I've seen little talk of this: Are folks not impressed by how layered the writing is for so many non-Champion NPCs and Zelda?

I don't want to point to anything specific due to spoilers, but my premise is they've hidden a significant amount of characterization behind exploration and discovering this is on you, as it doesn't necessarily appear as a result of checklist quest completion. It's not even like Skyrim where you just find books/diaries expanding the lore and detailing NPC perspectives, it feels a little deeper than that and it kind of requires you to piece things together.

There's also a thematic consistency to it - so many characters have their own mini failure/redemption arc that parallels Zelda and Link's.

I'm rather impressed by it, but I've seen little mention of this kind of stuff - and I look at some of the hour counts that have been posted and find myself wondering if folks are just flying by this stuff in a rush to conquer as many shrines as possible.

The npcs were the only part of the game I truly loved. The fetch quests and weak payoffs to many of the side quests were unfortunate but other than they completely knocked them out of the park.

Pineconn

If you haven't stepped on the
flowers
three times in a row outside of the
Drifting
shrine, you missed something... interesting. And unnerving.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just got the (halfway point)
master sword. How does this thing work? The description alludes to the fact that in may break and I need to wait for it to "repair" itself. Does it break? What is the mechanic with it?

jariw

master sword. How does this thing work? The description alludes to the fact that in may break and I need to wait for it to "repair" itself. Does it break? What is the mechanic with it?

Time is the mechanic.

It
"runs our of energy" rather than breaks, and it repairs itself after a bit of time. So you can't use it for a certain amount of time after it "breaks" but it never leaves your inventory. Also if you try throwing it while at full health you'll see something neat

Twookie

It has the durability mechanic like all other weapons but with a little change. When the sword breaks, you have to wait 10 minutes before it will return to you

jariw

flowers
Drifting

Yes, that was so surprising and hillarious when I saw it!

Another NPC moment that should be experienced; The little girl in Kakariko Village who talked about Bolson. (Try all the different replies to her.)

Peltz

I'm now convinced the gyro in my switch is broken, in the second motion shrine I've been in, the only way rotate the floor enough to get the key chest is to literally spin the system around twice...

With the pro controller it seems to work fine

The system doesn't contain gyro controls. The joycons do however.

DrArchon

flowers
Drifting

I only stepped on them twice before I got into the shrine. And then as soon as I left, I accidentally stepped on them a 3rd time because I thought she wouldn't care anymore.

Yeah...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm so glad Nintendo keeps improving Zelda, today with a performance optimization, tomorrow with DLCs.

It's a game I don't want to leave, I just don't want it to end.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
You need
the helm they've stolen for one of the divine beasts
don't you?

Tried the banana thing but then i got stuck in some room with none left and one of the big guys blocked me in and it was just a nightmare, i seriously cannot do stealth, most hated game mechanic
I suck at stealth too. I can usually stealth one or two guys, but anything more complicated than that is a crapshoot. Whenever I got spotted, I went VERY LOUD in that area because I was afraid of those
oneshots

A few tips:
There's a banana stash and some treasure upstairs, between the first area and the second. Gives you plenty of bait to work with.

Ancient arrows oneshot the big guys. Seriously, they don't even flinch or do the ninja escape thing. They evaporate. I think bomb arrows make the big guys flinch.

I found shock weapons helped deal with the archers a lot because it made them hold still.

If you've done the
Rito
area,
Revali's Gale lets you fly up to the upper floors quickly mid-combat. It lets you kite them a little better.

JoeNut

The thieves hideout bit is just pissing me off so much, no matter what I do I get seen and then you get one shotted and it's just ruining the whole thing for me. In a game that's meant to be based on freedom forcing you into stealth (unless you're severely OP) is just bad. This might actually stop me from finishing the game, sigh.

i didn't use any aggression during the whole sequence, it took me two goes -
first guy you can just walk around the back past him, then use a banana and "throw" it in the gap, then walk around the back, next bit go up the ladder and get the banana stash. Drop 5 bananas at the same time from the roof, glide over to the ladder and jump up it, repeat at the end to get into the other room, and your done.

I suck at stealth too. I can usually stealth one or two guys, but anything more complicated than that is a crapshoot. Whenever I got spotted, I went VERY LOUD in that area because I was afraid of those
oneshots

A few tips:
There's a banana stash and some treasure upstairs, between the first area and the second. Gives you plenty of bait to work with.

Ancient arrows oneshot the big guys. Seriously, they don't even flinch or do the ninja escape thing. They evaporate. I think bomb arrows make the big guys flinch.

I found shock weapons helped deal with the archers a lot because it made them hold still.

If you've done the
Rito
area,
Revali's Gale lets you fly up to the upper floors quickly mid-combat. It lets you kite them a little better.
Also, if you look around the rooms there are often
strategically-placed bananas you can drop near enemies by shooting the sticks holding up the little platform they're on.

gaiages

Banned
The thieves hideout bit is just pissing me off so much, no matter what I do I get seen and then you get one shotted and it's just ruining the whole thing for me. In a game that's meant to be based on freedom forcing you into stealth (unless you're severely OP) is just bad. This might actually stop me from finishing the game, sigh.

I wish I knew this when I had to go through that area (I hated it too) but you can just
climb the mountains in the area and drop down into the boss arena to skip it all

Why? The part is entirely optional...

It's really not obvious that you can and I had no clue you could until I was exploring the area far after the fact.

duckroll

I don't want anyone to tell me the solution, I just want a nudge in the general direction. I'm doing the Leviathan Bones quest now, and I found the one in Gerudo. I'm having difficulty with the one in Herba. There's the dragon bones location, but obviously it's not complete and has no head. I've tried studying the zoomed in map for clues but no luck so far...

I'm usually pretty bad at stealth too but I found this section to be fairly easy once the lady gives you the tip about bananas. I'm surprised so many people are struggling with it.

Also, if you look around the rooms there are often
strategically-placed bananas you can drop near enemies by shooting the sticks holding up the little platform they're on.

Maybe OT3 should be subtitled: Strategically Placed Bananas

I don't want anyone to tell me the solution, I just want a nudge in the general direction. I'm doing the Leviathan Bones quest now, and I found the one in Gerudo. I'm having difficulty with the one in Herba. There's the dragon bones location, but obviously it's not complete and has no head. I've tried studying the zoomed in map for clues but no luck so far...

If I recall correctly that one isn't actually visible on the world map...

I'm usually pretty bad at stealth too but I found this section to be fairly easy once the lady gives you the tip about bananas. I'm surprised so many people are struggling with it.

Maybe OT3 should be subtitled: Strategically Placed Bananas

If I recall correctly that one isn't actually visible on the world map...
Tactical Banana Placement Action

GeoGonzo

Oh! I'm afraid I can't help since I'm also having trouble finding that one. I did notice that the other two Leviathans are clearly shown on the map, but I guess that they only appeared there after reaching them? Possibly?

In any case, I've had no luck finding Leviathans in the snow.

Oh! I'm afraid I can't help since I'm also having trouble finding that one. I did notice that the other two Leviathans are clearly shown on the map, but I guess that they only appeared there after reaching them? Possibly?

In any case, I've had no luck finding Leviathans in the snow.

As a vague hint, I will again say that the Hebra one is not visible on the world map and it doesn't ever become visible. Now, you guys go find out why that may be...

Firebrand

Final boss question,

That dang shield surrounding Calamity Ganon at 25% took me forever to get through. The only way I was able to was with the use of Champion abilities, but that felt cheap somehow... plus they take a while to recharge! I read Flurry and Parry apparantely work, are those + champion abilities it? I tried catching him with Stasis+ between attacks, but difficult to time if possible, hah.

Majukun

you are in the wrong place, if you go talking to one of the three brothers that gave you the quest,it's gonna give you a hint on where the third fossil is,but it's definitely the harder of the three,so don't expect him in plain sight

DrArchon

You can't see them from the map.

They're
inside or under something

Majukun

Final boss question,

That dang shield surrounding Calamity Ganon at 25% took me forever to get through. The only way I was able to was with the use of Champion abilities, but that felt cheap somehow... plus they take a while to recharge! I read Flurry and Parry apparantely work, are those + champion abilities it? I tried catching him with Stasis+ between attacks, but difficult to time if possible, hah.

flurry is when you dodge at the lasst time and go slow-mo
parry you do it with your shield by pressing A, it's similiar to dark souls and can reflect laser beams if done at the right time.

bionic77

I loved that whole stealth area and the fight at the end.

Very easy and light hearted.

Which is nice because if you get to the dungeon and boss fight after that early in the game it is really tough.

Crayolan

Super vague hint:
Selmie

Also, about the Yiga
hideout
, you should be able to
Stasis+ the guards and just walk past them
, no? I didn't try it because the
bananas + stealth suit and elixirs
were enough, but I'm guessing that'd work, too.

emb

Alright, so after 120 shrines cleared, all sidequests completed, all memories found and about 180 hours spent playing the game it's time for me to articulate my final thoughts about Breath of the Wild. I'm going to post light spoilers so feel free to skip my ramblings if you're not done yet with the game.

snip
Good thoughts. I agree, it does a really great job of building on past Zelda games. Another aspect I think it really takes and runs away with is Skyward Sword's stamina system. In that game it made general traversal more fun, but there wasn't much that was very interesting to traverse. This game really makes it feel like an integral, cohesive part of the mechanics. You're spot on when you say that traversal in this game is great.

vypek

What area is the stealth hide out in?

South West section of the world. Entrance isn't too far from that crazy high tower that is North East of of the Gerudos

Also, about the Yiga
hideout
, you should be able to
Stasis+ the guards and just walk past them
, no? I didn't try it because the
bananas + stealth suit and elixirs
were enough, but I'm guessing that'd work, too.

You can sort of do it but Stasis+ doesn't last a long time on these enemies(seems its even shorter on the stronger ones) and its just easier to use the bananas as they expect you to.

ddzeldadeluxe-1487350119734_360h.png

May I just say how freaking hyped I am for this to release? I haven't bought a strategy guide since Metal Gear Solid 3 and this goddamn game is making me do it again. Have you all enjoyed the information and how its presented in the guide already? I see myself using the ingredient, enemy, shrine, and secrets content quite often for dat second time through.

kris.

Banned
So I'm not super far in the main quest. I went to the
Zora Domain first, have only 6 hearts, and am apparently about to fight my first Lynel. I'm also not great at dodging or parrying yet. How fucked am I?

You played yourself by assuming you are forced into stealth when you can:
1) Sneak onto each of them and one shot them with a sneak attack (this is easy as fuck and how I ultimately did it, you don't even need bananas).
2) Climb the stair to the rafter above and glide to the exit.
3) Lure them away with bananas.
4) Fight them fair and square and kill them.
5) As mentioned above, drop into the boss lair from the mountain (I didn't even know of this one until now).

Seriously, you're not the first one I see complaining about stealth being the only option when it's not. I discovered the first four ways myself, why are you guys so lacking in creativity? The issue is yours, not the game's.

vypek

Zora Domain first, have only 6 hearts, and am apparently about to fight my first Lynel. I'm also not great at dodging or parrying yet. How fucked am I?

You don't have to fight the Lynel. The little cutscene hints at sneaking around. If you are really good with the combat mechanics you can fight and beat the lynel although it may take a lot of your resources to do so. Based on you feeling you aren't good with dodging or parrying I would suggest avoiding the fight. You can pull arrows out of the trees and I think some are on the ground too. Just collect enough to go back if you don't want to face the lynel at this point.

You'd be incredibly fucked if you actually had to fight it. Luckily you can just sneak past it and be just fine.

Anteo

Dont fight him. Just sneak around and pick up the arrows.

Look for water.

More specific:
Not the hot spring.

Specificker:
A small square-shaped pond.

Specifickest:
A little southest of the North Summit.

All are location hints, not the solution.

Pinky

Banned
I found
Rito Village
last night. I love how they kept the theme from
Wind Waker
. This version is very soothing and peaceful. I love it.

bionic77

South West section of the world. Entrance isn't too far from that crazy high tower that is North East of of the Gerudos

You can sort of do it but Stasis+ doesn't last a long time on these enemies(seems its even shorter on the stronger ones) and its just easier to use the bananas as they expect you to.
Stasis works but you are right that it does not last long and it was so easy to sneak around even without the bananas that I did not need it. You can also just make noise and tip toe around the crates pretty easily. I am sure there are a lot of ways to get past them.

Concerning another stealth mission, spoilers coming:

The one on death mountain I did need to use a lot of status and was a lot harder because it was an escort mission. That said it did not send you back to the beginning if you fucked up and usually your buddy and you would just get pelted by stones and be able to move to the next group of drones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom