• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
All I know is, it's at the very end of the Skyward Sword timeline. For now.

Skyward Sword is the initial game, it has no timeline of it's own.

Its definitely way after that.
Zora palace has tablets that mention OOT stuff and mention it taking place apparently 20k yrs ago lol. Then there is the rock salt, the arbiter grounds from TP, and mirror of twilight, dueling peaks, spectacle rock, temple of time, temple of hylia, spring of power, bridge of hylia, urbosa talking about ganondorf, remnants of dragon roost island. Its all over the place lol.

All this makes me believe that somehow over 10k yrs all the timelines eventually converged, slowly but surely to 1 timeline.

This is more or less where I am.

DirtyLarry

I am 42 years old. I have been gaming since I am 5 and never stopped.
The past 2 or so years has been the first time ever in my life I started to feel burned out. Some of it had to do with the fact I felt I have neglected my art, so of it was I just was feeling as if games were treading old ground.
I picked up a Switch as I was hoping it would rekindle something, especially since I could now play anywhere which being a married man does make a difference.
Anyhow I take the time to share the above to provide a bit of context for the following statement...
Breath Of The Wild may not just be my GOTY, it may very well wind up being my favorite game of the past 10 years. Sincerely and truly it is such a brilliant game. There's just so much to do that I actually enjoy doing. The sense of exploration is outstanding. The fact I just got done playing it for an hour as I am on vacation with my wife and she fell asleep already is just next level.
To have such a quality game in the palm of my hands literally is such a fucking feat on Nintendo's behalf.
My one and only complaint is I'm really not sure if I'm going to bother playing anything else for a long time. I loved the shit out of Horizon Zero Dawn but I haven't even thought about it since getting my Switch and BOTW.
Just such an accomplishment in every single regard.
Damn what a game.

watershed

Banned
Zora palace has tablets that mention OOT stuff and mention it taking place apparently 20k yrs ago lol. Then there is the rock salt, the arbiter grounds from TP, and mirror of twilight, dueling peaks, spectacle rock, temple of time, temple of hylia, spring of power, bridge of hylia, urbosa talking about ganondorf, remnants of dragon roost island. Its all over the place lol.

All this makes me believe that somehow over 10k yrs all the timelines eventually converged, slowly but surely to 1 timeline.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Skyward Sword is the very first Zelda game in the timeline. As it sits right now, BOTW is the furthest into the timeline we've ever gone, so to speak. I don't know where else it takes place, split-wise but definitely this is post-OoT.

GoldStarz

remnants of dragon roost island

I'm sorry but where is
the Dragon Roost Island remnants?
I've heard of or seen everything else but I haven't seen this.

Also, it doesn't make sense for timelines to just converge on their own, they didn't diverge without interference, so why would the opposite happen without something or someone causing it (that would make a pretty sweet game though).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm sorry but where is
the Dragon Roost Island remnants?
I've heard of or seen everything else but I haven't seen this.

Also, it doesn't make sense for timelines to just converge on their own, they didn't diverge without interference, so why would the opposite happen without something or someone causing it (that would make a pretty sweet game though).

I imagine it's going to be like the Great Flood, where we never get a game explaining how it happened.

Pokemaniac

I don't get why people are talking about timeline convergence when the game fits pretty cleanly at the end of the downfall timeline.

CassSept

the arbiter grounds from TP, and mirror of twilight,

To be fair,
these two have to exist in all the timelines - in TP backstory Ganondorf was sent to be judged at arbiter grounds which means they had to exist at the time OoT took place, they just weren't seen before

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Finally finished the game yesterday, and I have to say the ending was disappointing.
Only 2 phases for Ganon, with the 2nd one being stupidly easy where Ganon does nothing but standing there waiting for you to shoot his weak spots.
Also almost nothing happened after Ganon was killed. Just Zelda showing up, sealing Ganon and basically telling Link "Remember me?"
That's it? Really?

For all the fun I had with this game while exploring the world, the story was such a let down compared to past Zelda games. They really need to improve on that for the next game.

Pokemaniac

Finally finished the game yesterday, and I have to say the ending was disappointing.
Only 2 phases for Ganon, with the 2nd one being stupidly easy where Ganon does nothing but standing there waiting for you to shoot his weak spots.
Also almost nothing happened after Ganon was killed. Just Zelda showing up, sealing Ganon and basically telling Link "Remember me?"
That's it? Really?

For all the fun I had with this game while exploring the world, the story was such a let down compared to past Zelda games. They really need to improve on that for the next game.

You didn't unlock the full ending.

You didn't unlock the full ending.

Well to be fair, let's not get anyone's hopes up about the "full ending", because it's honestly just (seemingly) a vague setup for the second DLC pack, wouldn't you say? There's maybe another minute and a half of cutscene added to the end of the game. I just don't want anyone to be disappointed further because we talked it up too much.

Personally, I was slightly disappointed by Ganon - but not with the "lack of" story in general. The world was constantly creating stories as I played, and the NPC stories had more than enough life and depth for me - for a Zelda game.

Anteo

Ganon is dissapointing because you guys are weakening him by finishihg the beasts. A half hp calamity is much shorter than 4 wraths and full hp calamity in a row on the castle.

this is more a fault of the game tho.

Edit: i beat the game the first time with 2 beasts done, so my final boss fight was 2 wraths and 3/4 hp ganon.

Zakalwe

Banned
I wish there was more to do. I've seen many complaints about BotW being too big, but I don't agree. I wish it were bigger. I wish it included underwater and underground areas. And I wish it had more extensive combat trials. The DLC looks like it will scratch that itch—but only a little bit. It looks like it opens an artificial combat arena. I wish there was a more natural progression of combat in places, like a monster-occupied town or a series of tunnels that need to be cleared out.

Really all I want are more excuses to spend time in this world.

Going to have to agree with this one hundred percent.

I'm not sure I agree right now. I'm currently around 25-30 hours or so. I've:

Defeated 2 DBs and got Mipha's Grace and Urbosa's Fury.
I have the Master Sword.
I've upgraded a few armour sets to their first level.
I've done a bunch of side-quests and lots of exploring.

It feels like a perfect balance of space to explore and things to do/find. Off the top of my head there's:

Shrines
Shrine quests like Eventide Isle and the Labyrinth Island which offer unique little challenges and adventures.
The Divine Beast battles and dungeons.
Mini games like the climbing challenge, golf, surfing, etc...
Larger boss type creatures with good challenge and rewards like Lynels and Hinox (some more challenge than others, of course).
One-off encounters like Lord of the Mountain.
Cooking and discovering new recipes for meals and elixirs.
Side Quests
Memory Quests
Tonnes of stuff to do while just exploring, like:
- clearing monster camps
- hunting for shooting stars
- mining
- hunting for seeds
- or just messing around with the physics and sandbox nature

And this isn't everything.

So far it seems like there's so much to do and discover. I get if you've done it all and just want more, but from a general view of what we actually get to do and quantity of these things there seems to be an abundance to me.

Red

I have played 150 hours and have yet to set foot in a divine beast.

I have plenty more to do. I want more on top of that. More combat and survival challenges in particular.

GRW810

Explain more about Dragon Roost Island and Mirror of Twilight in Breath of the Wild. First I was aware of this.

Steiner

Banned
Can't even watch on mobile, it's just a constant ad; nothing but popups to Amazon.

Really? Should just be one 30 sec ad on the video. If there was a popup blocking your screen then something went wrong and we need to contact our ad people. I'll look into that.

piggychan

90 hour mark and just started feeling confident taking on these robotic beasts up close. Gosh do they make my heart beat fast!

DAyUICqU0AADWeN.jpg:large

DAwG0KaUwAAfbRS.jpg:large

Zakalwe

Banned
I have played 150 hours and have yet to set foot in a divine beast.

I have plenty more to do. I want more on top of that. More combat and survival challenges in particular.

I take it you've doe Eventide Ilse and Labyrinth Island? Former is a full on survival challenge, latter is combat/exploration.

The DB encounters will give you exactly what you want, too.

Boss fight with the DB
Exploration of the DB's internal mechanics (like a dungeon with puzzles, etc...)
Final fight in the DB against one of Ganon's fiends.

Each DB takes some preparation and has a lot of fun sequences involved with some cool characters. I wouldn't wait on them really. I'd actually recommend anyone starting out to go get Mipha's Grace asap, then Urbosa's Fury soon after. Both things make fighting bosses and wild bosses so much more enjoyable.

Oh, and get the MS! That really supplements the weapon system and allows you to hang on to a loadout for much longer than usual. Use the MS for anything until it breaks, then use specific weapons for stuff you come across (knights swords for grunts, royal sword for Hinox, etc... if you come across something you need to MS for then you'll only have to wait 10 mins which is probably the time you need to prep your fight anyway.

Anyway, I'm probably saying stuff that's not very useful, but I think once you hit the DBs you'll discover what you're looking for.

Anteo

Explain more about Dragon Roost Island and Mirror of Twilight in Breath of the Wild. First I was aware of this.

No idea about dri but near lurelin there is a quest about a broken circular structure that glows and shows some strange writing at night.

Red

I take it you've doe Eventide Ilse and Labyrinth Island? Former is a full on survival challenge, latter is combat/exploration.

The DB encounters will give you exactly what you want, too.

Boss fight with the DB
Exploration of the DB's internal mechanics (like a dungeon with puzzles, etc...)
Final fight in the DB against one of Ganon's fiends.

Each DB takes some preparation and has a lot of fun sequences involved with some cool characters. I wouldn't wait on them really. I'd actually recommend anyone starting out to go get Mipha's Grace asap, then Urbosa's Fury soon after. Both things make fighting bosses and wild bosses so much more enjoyable.

Oh, and get the MS! That really supplements the weapon system and allows you to hang on to a loadout for much longer than usual. Use the MS for anything until it breaks, then use specific weapons for stuff you come across (knights swords for grunts, royal sword for Hinox, etc... if you come across something you need to MS for then you'll only have to wait 10 mins which is probably the time you need to prep your fight anyway.

Anyway, I'm probably saying stuff that's not very useful, but I think once you hit the DBs you'll discover what you're looking for.
I think I've done all the overworld shrine quests now (except for the ones attached to towns—still haven't been to any). I am sticking to three hearts until I beat Ganon, and I'm saving Ganon until I have 450 korok seeds. I don't need many more now. I did pick up the Hylian shield, finally, about five hours ago. I knew where it was but had been avoiding it. I don't want to do divine beasts until I've beaten Ganon. Once I "complete" the game I'll go back and finish up everything else: expand my inventory, do town quests, finish up shrines, upgrade hearts, so on and so forth.

Do shrine treasure icons appear if you have simply opened all chests, or do you actually need to take all the items inside?

I think I've done all the overworld shrine quests now (except for the ones attached to towns—still haven't been to any). I am sticking to three hearts until I beat Ganon, and I'm saving Ganon until I have 450 korok seeds. I don't need many more now. I did pick up the Hylian shield, finally, about five hours ago. I knew where it was but had been avoiding it. I don't want to do divine beasts until I've beaten Ganon. Once I "complete" the game I'll go back and finish up everything else: expand my inventory, do town quests, finish up shrines, upgrade hearts, so on and so forth.

Do shrine treasure icons appear if you have simply opened all chests, or do you actually need to take all the items inside?

You need to take out the items.

Painguy

For people asking me about dragon roost island, if u look at the wind waker map, it's basically the BOTW map rotated by 90 degrees

Hyrule castle is where it is in botw, spectacle island is where spectacle rock is in botw, and dragon roost island is where rito village is at. Great Deku tree in WW is basically in the same place as in botw. Also there are references to WW characters in botw. Also one last detail is that Gale island is in the same relative position to dragon roost as the windy training grounds are to rito village.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
shrines!

Are they for real with the
upgrade requirements for the Armor of the Wild
?

Ugh.

Anyway tommorow to finish Hyrule Castle!

Pachimari

I am starting to get into this game. I still have to get used to the controls, because I always accidentally summon a bomb and drops it on the ground lol. At least, I got the paraglider! Here's hoping I'll get access to horses sometime soon. I also went with an extra heart opposed to longer stamina.

What does the Zelda amiibo's do? I've never owned or even touched an Amiibo, so I'm curious if I get any in-game stuff by scanning them.

Golnei

All the amiibos summon randomised themed items - the Smash Zelda one has a chance of spawning her TP bow, as far as I know the BOTW Zelda one doesn't have anything unique.

Golnei

Isn't Epona also amiibo exclusive?

I was lumping that in with the other exclusive equipment - a unique horse, as opposed to a sword, costume piece or bow. Wolf Link is something with a fundamentally different function.

Oh shit, I won't ever get to meet Epona in this game? Do I need to buy the Amiibo with Link riding Epona with the sword to the sky?

It comes with the Smash Link amiibo.

Pachimari

Cool, I'll look into it.

I still haven't found a pot to cook. And is there some place with recipes where I can look up dishes? I have all these ingredients I don't know what to do with. I haven't cook up anything so far.

First time really exploring Death Mountain area in the game with the
fireproof armor
, previously I only rushed through with elixirs to do a couple of shrines. Absolutely loving the environment here, it's the last one I'm exploring and it's one of my favorites. Death Mountain is an iconic landmark that looks fantastic upclose, and I like how the lava changes the dynamic of exploring (gotta time those jump-glides perfectly or die), also not being able to rely on climbing gear adds a bit more challenge.

Deku Tree

So to play the DLC Hard Mode can I access it like NG+ on my same save file? I really don't want to do 120 shrines again or re-collect korok seeds SMH.

Or will I need to start a new save file? Will Nintendo give us access to a second character save slot, or will I lose my old save slot?

Im at about 90+ hours with still 4 region unexplored. I have 90 shrines and about 250 seeds.

At this point I never fight overworld "regular" enemies unless there is no choice. I do enjoy fighting Lynels and Talus'.

Hands down my favorite part of the game are the shrines. Both discovering them and completing them. I love shrine quests and I love finding shrines. That is the best part for sure.

Where are you going to see stats?
I have one divine beast left

sjboi

I have put so many hours into this game, and it is definitely among my favorite games of all time. Simply remarkable. I'm probably 2/3 or so complete... but I do have one major complaint that has really made the second half of the game a lot less exciting for me. The upgrade you get after beating the desert area is RIDICULOUSLY overpowered, to the point where it trivializes literally every enemy/boss thereafter. I figured it was okay to complete the dungeons in any order, but that doesn't appear to be the case if you want to keep the balance intact. =/ If and when I start a second play through, I'm definitely playing on hard mode and saving that area for last.

Xun

I have put so many hours into this game, and it is definitely among my favorite games of all time. Simply remarkable. I'm probably 2/3 or so complete... but I do have one major complaint that has really made the second half of the game a lot less exciting for me. The upgrade you get after beating the desert area is RIDICULOUSLY overpowered, to the point where it trivializes literally every enemy/boss thereafter. I figured it was okay to complete the dungeons in any order, but that doesn't appear to be the case if you want to keep the balance intact. =/ If and when I start a second play through, I'm definitely playing on hard mode and saving that area for last.
You can always turn it off if you wanted.

Just bought a Switch for this. I'm about 10 hours in and I'm completely amazed by this game. What an awesome world they've created. I'm actually impressed with the Switch too. It's kind of incredible that I can continue playing this gigantic game on the go. It runs okay too, but if I'm not mistaken, the real framerate troubles will start once I'm a bit further in the game. In any case, the only thing I'm really missing right now are some good ass weapons. Do you ever get weapons that don't degrade or some kind of repairkit?

I'm at the part where I have to go to one of the places where
Zelda
took some pictures. Is there a way to figure out where to go or are you supposed to figure it out, visually?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just bought a Switch for this. I'm about 10 hours in and I'm completely amazed by this game. What an awesome world they've created. I'm actually impressed with the Switch too. It's kind of incredible that I can continue playing this gigantic game on the go. It runs okay too, but if I'm not mistaken, the real framerate troubles will start once I'm a bit further in the game. In any case, the only thing I'm really missing right now are some good ass weapons. Do you ever get weapons that don't degrade or some kind of repairkit?

Zelda
took some pictures. Is there a way to figure out where to go or are you supposed to figure it out, visually?

They patched it, no more troubles like that. Also, they were only in docked mode.

Go talk to the painter guy, he'll help.

Zelda

Late in the game you'll start getting weapons with buffs like "Durability Up" and "Durability Up+" that last longer​. But all weapons eventually break. Although there are ways to use them that don't degrade them, for example hits while
mounting a Lynel
, or hitting items like wood and flint with your weapons don't affect durability.

Talk to the painter guy at stables. He'll guide you to a location in a different picture at each stable.

What's the fastest way to make money? My friend told me to mine ore at the Goron mines.

I like to sell 5x cooked Gourmet Meats (~500 rupees) or 5x cooked Prime Meats (~240 rupees). Also, Elixir with 4x Lynel Guts + Tireless Frog sells for a whopping 2400 rupees. But I'm still need those guts for upgrades...

I think there are many different ways to make money quickly... Check YouTube.

Late in the game you'll start getting weapons with buffs like "Durability Up" and "Durability Up+" that last longer​. But all weapons eventually break. Although there are ways to use them that don't degrade them, for example hits while
mounting a Lynel
, or hitting items like wood and flint with your weapons don't affect durability.

Talk to the painter guy at stables. He'll guide you to a location in a different picture at each stable.

They patched it, no more troubles like that. Also, they were only in docked mode.

Go talk to the painter guy, he'll help.

Thanks guys.

I'm sitting at a restaurant and I can only think about this game.

Anteo

All of the upgrades are ridiculous overpowered really

-Revali's Gale breaks exploring
-Mipha's Grace doesnt let the game punish the player at all.
-Daruk's Shield allows you to fight without having to defend.
-Urbosa's Fury destroys mob encounters.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
All of the upgrades are ridiculous overpowered really

-Revali's Gale breaks exploring
-Mipha's Grace doesnt let the game punish the player at all.
-Daruk's Shield allows you to fight without having to defend.
-Urbosa's Fury destroys mob encounters.

That's why I turned them all off for my second play through.

jnWake

So, after beating all the shrines I went to Rito Village while
wearing the Tunic of the Wild
and I talked to one of Kass' kids and it said "Congratulations of beating all the shrines!". How did a random Rito kid know that?!

The lore deepens...

DirtyLarry

Quick question...
I am about to
fight the divine beast rutah
or whatever it is called, I already did the part
where I was on my man's back and shot the shock arrows so now I am inside
I see there is an option to Leave, so I saved my game and did just that, but it doesn't seem like there is any easy way to get back. Is that true or am I missing something obvious to get back easily? I'm on vacation playing while I can and have about 45 minutes before dinner so if someone can answer asap it would be hugely appreciated. I just feel like I could use some more arrows, weapons, etc.before I take this part on but if there's no easy way to get back I'll give it the old college try.
TIA to whomever can answer. Truly appreciated.
DL

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Quick question...
I am about to
fight the divine beast rutah
or whatever it is called, I already did the part
where I was on my man's back and shot the shock arrows so now I am inside
I see there is an option to Leave, so I saved my game and did just that, but it doesn't seem like there is any easy way to get back. Is that true or am I missing something obvious to get back easily? I'm on vacation playing while I can and have about 45 minutes before dinner so if someone can answer asap it would be hugely appreciated. I just feel like I could use some more arrows, weapons, etc.before I take this part on but if there's no easy way to get back I'll give it the old college try.
TIA to whomever can answer. Truly appreciated.
DL
Warp

Top Bottom